Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
a lifesaver at the Lonely Barrows lich fight for example... his guardian armors can be annoying but the Pit mostly neutralizes them...

MC Eldritch Scoundrel puts Acid Pit behind trolls before lighting up boss with Bow, Bard Linzi sings Frightening Tune to send them into it while at the same time stripping boss of all protection and giving everyone +6 to hit and damage:

Linzi Dispel.jpg

(Bard also tanking that troll with Image)

I was just playing Devil's Advocate. Always like to have Pits (or difficult terrain) at the ready as needed. Fancy version of Grease is a good thing.

Desiderius

Patron
The thing is, Bard brings more than that. You can have your bard casting Heroism on everyone for starters, they get that spell earlier than other casters and they can cast it a lot. Same goes for spells like Hideous Laughter.

Spells like laughter are pretty useless on "challenging" because anything they would work on effectively I'm steamrolling with normal DPS anyway. There's no real point crowd controlling a caster in the distance if Octavia and Ekun can kill it in one or two turns by themselves.
Can't say I agree with that. Hideous Laughter works wonders against the were-rats for example

I never even took it first couple times through, but if you've got an Enchanter (via Ring of Reckless Courage for example) it's a nice use of first level slots and gets around some immunities. Linzi's about to take a Morgul blade (Undead Bloodline splash before VTomb) this playthrough so will be cracking up some Greater Zombie Giants soon. She'll be wearing that Jester's Armor to give it +2 DC.

Desiderius

Patron
I'm just sad that Linzi's knowledge world check wasn't high enough to properly inspect the Crag Linnorm. I wanted to see its stats.]
You get an inspect roll for each toon, so worth it to get Knowledge/Lore on multiple toons.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Once you discover the best buff in the game, Good Hope (it also gives +2 damage, and is groupwide), you'll never cast another Heroism, and Bard is the only class who gets it. Other than that, though, Bard is missing most of the best buffs in the game. You want those slots for the awesome offensive spells anyway.

I still kept casting Heroism after getting Good Hope: on my Intimidation/Diplomacy character and on my Trickery/Perception character. Because of the +2 skill bonus it bestows... and because of the much longer duration (eventually doesn't mater, but initially it does).

Good Hope does skills too. Good Hope does all five, Heroism only three. Good Hope is seven minutes when you get it, just use your Extend Rod fire and forget. Only thing you'll use Heroism for is when solo.

Okay, so I mixed it up and it was just the superior duration why I used both.

Desiderius

Patron
Ideally I'd make Val an Evocation (vs Fortitude) Melee Bard and Linzi a Ranged Enchanter Bard and switch them out when needed. Evo is good late.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Can't say I agree with that. Hideous Laughter works wonders against the were-rats for example

That was a tough fight at the time, but I'm talking about the average fight. It's not really useful the vast majority of the time, because I can kill things so fast there's no need to control them. Even for "big" fights like that one though, it's a good example of how there are multiple ways to handle them. For that fight I had Harrim cast protection from fire and had Octavia use hold person on one of the rogues, and it was a simple victory at that point without a bard. Not saying bards aren't great, just that there's multiple avenues to success (on challenging anyway), which is a very good thing for an RPG.

Erebus

Arcane
Well, I've reached the House again. Joy. At least, this time, I know where most things are, so I won't waste more time than is necessary.

I still don't understand the point of having two versions of the House that you can travel between by using the mist. It really doesn't add anything interesting to the place.

The previous time I reached the House, I had a really hard time against the troll found near Ekundayo, as it healed almost faster than I could hurt it. This time, I crushed it in 20 seconds without doing anything special.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I still don't understand the point of having two versions of the House that you can travel between by using the mist. It really doesn't add anything interesting to the place.

It adds to the confusion and being in an otherworldly place where you don't belong. And it's a nice callback to the previous times you entered the First World. I rather liked it, though I know I'm a tiny minority.

Desiderius

Patron

It adds to the confusion and being in an otherworldly place where you don't belong. And it's a nice callback to the previous times you entered the First World. I rather liked it, though I know I'm a tiny minority.

A few less repetitive trash fights and some way to more readily keep track of where one has already been (I suppose I'll be doing bread crumbs this time) would have been nice, but there is a gem hidden in there somewhere.

Desiderius

Patron
Desi, you do realize that there is an edit function, right? There is no need to spam a ton of posts within minutes of eachother.

Not my fault y'all aren't keeping up with my steady stream of brilliance and insight. Perhaps you'd rather I compile them into chapters and number them Nietzsche style?

Yosharian

Arcane
Guys, thoughts on Improved and Greater Blind-Fight?

Blind-Fight
Benefit: In melee, every time you miss because of concealment, you can reroll your miss chance percentile roll one time to see if you actually hit.

An invisible attacker gets no advantages related to hitting you in melee. That is, you don’t lose your Dexterity bonus to Armor Class, and the attacker doesn’t get the usual +2 bonus for being invisible. The invisible attacker’s bonuses do still apply for ranged attacks, however.

Improved Blind-Fight
Benefit: Your melee attacks ignore the miss chance for less than total concealment. You may still reroll your miss chance percentile roll for total concealment. If you successfully pinpoint an invisible or hidden attacker within 30 feet, that attacker gets no advantages related to hitting you with ranged attacks. That is, you don’t lose your Dexterity bonus to Armor Class, and the attacker doesn’t get the usual +2 bonus for being invisible.

Greater Blind-Fight
Benefit: Your melee attacks ignore the miss chance for less than total concealment, and you treat opponents with total concealment as if they had normal concealment (20% miss chance instead of 50%). You may still reroll a miss chance percentile roll as normal.

If you successfully pinpoint an invisible or hidden attacker, that attacker gets no advantages related to hitting you with ranged attacks, regardless of the range. That is, you don’t lose your Dexterity bonus to Armor Class, and the attacker doesn’t get the usual +2 bonus for being invisible.

Efe

Erudite
bonus at range too niche to be worth a feat and others are mitigated by buffs already

Desiderius

Patron
Time to take out the Womb, which is in my territory with a town/teleporter right next door for the first time:

Womb in Territory.jpg

Tristian making an early appearance due to Serpent Prince and Leviathan's Gift showing up:

Serpent Tristian.jpg

Improved Crit + Serpent Prince had Tristian mixing it up effectively using the Extend Metamagic he comes with on his excellent self-buffs (Divine Favor/Power and Eaglesoul) and to move all his good lvl 3 spells (like Archon's Aura) to level four so everyone in melee can get Magical Vestment. The Maxxed spells from Leviathan's gift go well with Tristian's nukes.

A little unlucky at the Spider Ambush (this one's pretty dicey on Unfair):

Spider Ambush.jpg

Maxxed burn, lucky saves.jpg

Helping a sista out with Rebuke Death after Amiri waded in there to clean up Spiders with her Cleavage (and got the rare whiff, which is probably why she ended up on her ass):

Tristian Rebuking Death for Amiri.jpg

And here he is putting that Serpent Prince to work alongside the MC and Nok Nok:

Tristian, MC, and Nok Nok vs Unfair Spiders.jpg

Always nice to have a Grenadier MC when Swarms show up. More weirdness with Alchemical Weapon. You can attach it to a Bomb to make a double bomb:

Double Bomb.jpg

The Alchemical Weapon Damage always shows up before it announces the attack, unless you miss.

This is how you keep the Big Bad Hidden Owlbear from even getting an attack in:

Frigid Val Pwning Big Owlbear.jpg

This is all Unfair, as you can see by how successful CC is:

No spells on Unfair Owlbear.jpg

Down without so much as an attack:

Big Owlbear in Womb finished off without an attack.jpg

Such is the power of Val's Frigid Touch. And Outflank crit chains when you've got three 15-20 weapons involved, and a couple enlarged toons with reach.

Last but not least, Nok Nok soloing the Flytrap at the end. On Unfair. He did bring his pet Wyvern along to get him some flanking:

Nok Nok solo Unfair.jpg

Burst of Glory is a new fav - group Aid. Sacred stacks nicely.

Last edited:

Sykar

Arcane

Too costly, situational and usually can be covered by buffs instead (particularly if you have/can share Echolocation).

Buffs do cost extra castings which are then lacking for other potential spells and lead to more rests in the long run. I think especially a human fighter can afford to go into that series without missing too much. Question is against how many enemies is it useful.

Edit: Desiderius, Haplo and Pink Eye any thoughts on CotW mod, specifically about Harrim Warpriest and Val getting 13 int for Combat Expertise feat and Vindictive Bastard class?

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Haven't used CotW, so cannot say. Remember the mod had some compatibility clashes (with Eldritch Arcana, perhaps?).

I like some features, for example Bloodrager and Arcanist classes, more wildshapes, Feral Combat, Kinetic Whip and Whip Hurricane.

That doesn't answer your question, though.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Hm, come to think of it, I do like the sound of these new classes, features.
Kinda sad about the Legendary Proportions nerf, though.

Don't exactly have the time for another 100 hour++ playtrough....

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I just started my first playthrough with the turn based mod and it's glorious. Now I am actually excited for the coronavirus quarantine.

I think that, to me, the perfect way to play this game will be rtwp for 95% of the time and tb during the 5% top fights, where I really want precise feedback from every action.

I am so fucking excited about this and WotR.

Desiderius

Patron

Too costly, situational and usually can be covered by buffs instead (particularly if you have/can share Echolocation).

Buffs do cost extra castings which are then lacking for other potential spells and lead to more rests in the long run. I think especially a human fighter can afford to go into that series without missing too much. Question is against how many enemies is it useful.

Edit: Desiderius, Haplo and Pink Eye any thoughts on CotW mod, specifically about Harrim Warpriest and Val getting 13 int for Combat Expertise feat and Vindictive Bastard class?

Echolocation lasts forever. Are you worried about Hunt Crystals?

Human Fighter is in fact feat starved when built properly, believe it or not. Embarrassment of Riches:

Glaive Fighter Abilities and Feats.jpg

GlaiveFighterBigDamage.jpg

Fighter's Tactics make almost every Teamwork feat good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom