Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
It’s not miles better, people are just used to playing it in P:K.

Sarathiour

Cipher
Come on, you loose access to light armor (non-issue when mage armor exist and is so abundant), lost a few spell slots (mostly irrelevant, given you don't really have anything interesting past spell level 3), and you in exchange weapon focus for free, a shitload of extra AC, extra initiative and extra crit.
It's a no-brainer.

Desiderius

Patron
Come on, you loose access to light armor (non-issue when mage armor exist and is so abundant), lost a few spell slots (mostly irrelevant, given you don't really have anything interesting past spell level 3), and you in exchange weapon focus for free, a shitload of extra AC, extra initiative and extra crit.
It's a no-brainer.

It's not a non-issue. Wrath has better Light armors, and some of the variants get more than Light (including Archer lol). Item slots are a valuable resource. Archmage Armor is a meme and DEX-based has a real cost in feats and missed opportunities to go large or, you know, mounted.

Spell slots are also very valuable if you're stacking metamagic like only Magi can (since they get an extra layer). If you don't think there's anything interesting past level 3 you've got a lot of the game left to discover. Spelldancer is happening when I get back and it will be glorious. Spell Combat and Spellstrike are distinctive features and don't have to be used together.

Saint is very good at what it does but what it does is very narrow and can already be handled by several companions.

Desiderius

Patron
Yeah well let’s see Sword Saint try to go MT with Feyspeaker like Scion can. (did this with Regongar - see if you can figure out what makes it tricky).

Which is to say you’re right Saint is where it’s at in P:K, though Archer is still good even with (stupidly) no ranged spells or abilities.

Sarathiour

Cipher
Yeah, never tried eldrithc archer, it's his own beast and it's one of the few archetype that really differ in playstyle from the base class.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Yeah, never tried eldrithc archer, it's his own beast and it's one of the few archetype that really differ in playstyle from the base class.

Eldritch Archer was my favourite character to play in PF:K. It gets very powerful (once you get a full barrage of magic-charged and ordinary shots in one move) and versatile (because of the ability to re-use used spells per arcane pool points), but fair warning - it's pretty clunky and weak to start off with. It starts to take off at lvl 5 when you get +2 to the pool and can get rapid shot (which arcane accuracy - an earlier must-have - compensates for the malus of). As with the Magus it's a bit "fiddly" but I like fiddly :) Wand mastery (being able to charge shots with wands as well as spells) is a neat trick for it too, although it requires two picks. Reach rods (turning touch into ranged touch, making touch spells usable through the bow) are also handy.

Desiderius

Patron
Lol reaching melee touch spells doesn't work with EA in Wrath, or didn't last time I played. Would be pretty funny if it worked in P:K and they lost that functionality.

tky

Literate
Well, since I'm no longer able to play, here's my final creation:

202112170354199629.png

I was trying to test how many attacks per turn was the maximum, and I think it could be up to 16. With the following build I'm sure of at least 13:

Race: Motherless Tiefling -> +1 Bite
10 Lv. Slayer
02 Lv. Invulnerable Rager (Animal Fury) -> +1 Bite
02 Lv. Vivisectionist (Feral Mutagem) -> +1 Bite
01 Lv. Archaeologist
02 Lv. Dragon Disciple -> +1 Bite
02 Lv. Stawart Defender (Smash) -> +1 Slam?***
01 Any.
= BAB 16+ -> +4 Main-hand
Two-Weapon Fighting Feats -> +3 Off-hand
Steelwind (Sai) -> +2 Haste
Triple-Fin Helmet -> +1 Gore?***

Some optional stuff:
Heart Piercer (Sai) for Bleed and Cloak of the Winter Wolf (Trip on bite).

Swap the 10 levels of Slayer and the Any for Monk and you have +1 from Flurry (I think)***.

Now the above image doesn't have the Stawart levels because I had forgotten to test it. I also forgot to test if the helmet works. So if anyone wants to give it a shot it would be nice to know whether the stacking is true or not.

And I know multiclassing is not the main thing about build craft in this game, but I played with this one for quite a while and it seemed decent enough in terms of viability as long as you're not playing on Unfair or likewise.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
That's a lot of attacks.
But also... that AB looks pretty bad for a martial character.
I understand that's without buffs, but still.
I guess you can always hope to roll some 20s.

tky

Literate
That's a lot of attacks.

I, perhaps, should have mentioned it before, but I'm pretty sure the image is already factoring in the penalties from cbt. expertise (-5), pwr. atk. (-5), and def. instance (-4). So the real max AB is quite a bit higher.

And, as you mentioned, rolling 20s is a thing and, thankfully this being a party-based game, among all the AOOs from things like Trip, Outflank, Seize the Moment, and whatnot, from the sheer volume of attacks alone you can beat most encounters. A Bard on Fascinate can help a lot when it comes to controlling the battlefield.

Of course this is no Sword Saint with a dip on Monk, but, you know, not bad for a random ride.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
That's a lot of attacks.

I, perhaps, should have mentioned it before, but I'm pretty sure the image is already factoring in the penalties from cbt. expertise (-5), pwr. atk. (-5), and def. instance (-4). So the real max AB is quite a bit higher.

And, as you mentioned, rolling 20s is a thing and, thankfully this being a party-based game, among all the AOOs from things like Trip, Outflank, Seize the Moment, and whatnot, from the sheer volume of attacks alone you can beat most encounters. A Bard on Fascinate can help a lot when it comes to controlling the battlefield.

Of course this is no Sword Saint with a dip on Monk, but, you know, not bad for a random ride.

Why the hell would you ever consider stacking so many AB penalties?

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
That's a lot of attacks.

Why the hell would you ever consider stacking so many AB penalties?

Well, if you can already only hit on a 20, you might as well shoot for the moon with it. :lol:

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Do you consider retraining your character and companions a sort of cheating?

Nah. I mean, one gets the point "live with your choices" but these rulesets are so complex you can't expect someone to go into a game (that is after all not being marketed specifically at nerds but at a general gaming public) fresh without any prior understanding and not cock the build up. Also, broken features are a thing in every new game, it seems to be unavoidable.

ON THE OTHER HAND, if tutorials were better and/or people actually read that shit, you could lean more heavily on "live with your choices." But that's the thing, for most people a new game is fresh and exciting, they want to find out what happens next with the story (and let's face it most games are necessarily front-loaded and highly detailed with VO, making the first few levels quite dense story-wise), and it would require superhuman levels of patience to spend like an hour beforehand poring over the details of the rules.

ON THE OTHER, OTHER HAND, that's what we used to do in the age of printed manuals, so there's that.

I do think there's a case for limited respecs until you've finished the game once though. Maybe give the player 2 to start with - it would be a like saying, "OK, you feel like you've cocked up your build. We understand, these things happen, here's a respec. But we'd like you to to stick with the idea you started with and develop it properly, so here's 2 respecs, one so that in a fit of pique you can try something different and then decide later you don't like it and you preferred the overall feel of your original character, and another one to go back to your original plan, but with a better understanding of the game" :)

Then once you've finished the game and given due respect to the developers' work, it's fun time, you want to be able to fiddle around, so infinite changeability (but there's usually mods for that).

Yosharian

Arcane
Why is Jaethal better than the Storyteller for Culture? I was under the impression he was the best

Jaethal also has pretty mediocre Charisma sooo

Sarathiour

Cipher
Do you consider retraining your character and companions a sort of cheating?

Full retrained companion, sort of. I at least try to keep them thematically adjacent when leveling them.

Classical retrain through the pathfinder npc, certainly not. Too much broken feature and meta knowledge needed to make your first run without using the option.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Why is Jaethal better than the Storyteller for Culture? I was under the impression he was the best

Jaethal also has pretty mediocre Charisma sooo
See the page I linked. She's the only one who can give you the best outcome in the last rank up event.

PWOtbKV.png

Storyteller is actually the worst advisor here. If you listen to his advice then artists will leave your lands because you're not making them dependent on your support.

Desiderius

Patron
P:K has enough flexibility you don’t need a retrain mod. Retraining from early game build to lategame is cheating but other than that nah.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom