Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
What is your point mate? You could meet them with a 8-10 level party. There is one in the gnome side quest and there is a hive of them in the temple district's sewer. You clear that shit in chapter 2.

The worst part of BG2 is that they made underdark a cut off that you could only visit during the main quest. That way they made it feel that everything after chapter 3 is linear progression,which is not good for BG game. That is why in most of my replays i finish it after chapter 3,even if the underdark have some fun dungeons. Also the ToB is pretty shit,it just linear dungeon with boss killing every now and then,meh.

I responded to your rating and my point was that an illithid isn't a high-level creature and it makes for a good villain in a low-mid level adventure.
Nah mate,i meant that it is not meet at chapter 7. Also by itself it is not really that hard enemy even for a low party,just use a protection from magic scroll on your smartest melee companion and send him forward fallowed by the rest.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
What is your point mate? You could meet them with a 8-10 level party. There is one in the gnome side quest and there is a hive of them in the temple district's sewer. You clear that shit in chapter 2.

The worst part of BG2 is that they made underdark a cut off that you could only visit during the main quest. That way they made it feel that everything after chapter 3 is linear progression,which is not good for BG game. That is why in most of my replays i finish it after chapter 3,even if the underdark have some fun dungeons. Also the ToB is pretty shit,it just linear dungeon with boss killing every now and then,meh.

I responded to your rating and my point was that an illithid isn't a high-level creature and it makes for a good villain in a low-mid level adventure.
Nah mate,i meant that it is not meet at chapter 7. Also by itself it is not really that hard enemy even for a low party,just use a protection from magic scroll on your smartest melee companion and send him forward fallowed by the rest.

Those scrolls are cheating...

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
I usually use the helmet that gives you simulacrum and then send that image in also he can use scrolls you have equipped for free.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
A bit higher quality Lich key art. Better than the previous ones at least.

not1hw7nr9m41.jpg
It's a bit smaller in dimensions but I don't think it's any more crisp.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
How exactly will you motivate your party NPCs to stay with you when you... uh... well, reveal your new motivations.

Turn them all into undead? That'd be boring. Does Pathfinder have soul (enslavement) contracts?

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
With a lv cap = 10, 4 guys only has a chance against then if they are nerfed to oblivion but i never played 5e, so IDK if is the case.
You naive soul, I've watched the Sword Coast Legends video where they fought and killed a dragon at lvl 1 (or 5, but what's the dfference) with a 4 player party. WotC is a true harbinger of Decline.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
A lot of why I prefer BG1 over BG2 is because it was grand but on a different scale. It was high fantasy still, but a lot more reserved and kept itself grounded as best it could. In BG2 you're just beheading Illithids, slaying dragons and bashing down Beholders and even though they still have their deadliness when you're clearing out dungeons of them they tend to lose a lot of their natural fear factor. I truly believe those types of monsters are a good case of less is more. Kill one or two Illithids and you'll remember their names, but when you're downing 20 of them? They become jobbers.

That is one of the reasons why I prefer SoU over HotU. Looting barrels and finding +5 longswords? No thanks.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
The problem with high level is WotC can't balance for shit. Even 5E isn't balanced. Forcecage for example is utter bullshit. So is Wall of Force.
"Balance" is a false god. It is always mutually exclusive to what makes the best RPGs, which is toolboxing and flexibility, both which in turn also require the assumption that the GM will make continuous calls. Fags are trying to eliminate both today, and it has made the hobby worse for it.

It's part of why 4e was shit and it's still a big part of why D&D 5e and PF2 are shit.
Illithids are CR 7.
Creature Ratings were a mistake.

BarbequeMasta

Learned
With a lv cap = 10, 4 guys only has a chance against then if they are nerfed to oblivion but i never played 5e, so IDK if is the case.
You naive soul, I've watched the Sword Coast Legends video where they fought and killed a dragon at lvl 1 (or 5, but what's the dfference) with a 4 player party. WotC is a true harbinger of Decline.
Holy fuck, seriously?!

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
A lot of why I prefer BG1 over BG2 is because it was grand but on a different scale. It was high fantasy still, but a lot more reserved and kept itself grounded as best it could. In BG2 you're just beheading Illithids, slaying dragons and bashing down Beholders and even though they still have their deadliness when you're clearing out dungeons of them they tend to lose a lot of their natural fear factor. I truly believe those types of monsters are a good case of less is more. Kill one or two Illithids and you'll remember their names, but when you're downing 20 of them? They become jobbers.

That is one of the reasons why I prefer SoU over HotU. Looting barrels and finding +5 longswords? No thanks.
Now, now, I'm the fucking king of mud-covered peasant-play, but even from the start, you're in fucking Undermountain. If you find a +5 longsword in a barrel, it's not like it was randomly discarded there, but because Halaster the mad motherfucker fucking put it there.

I would prefer it if magic shit weren't portrayed as as common as it is in post-2e D&D, but from 3.X onward especially, the game is unfortunately simply built with this maddening power-progression in mind, and it includes gear. It's far cooler at lower levels when +1 or +2 can be a real wooow and when games lend themselves to states where all magic items are hand-crafted works of arts which are named by their crafters and owners, but despite this being the insinuated intent in the rules, that is sadly far from the common reality of both 3.X+ D&D and Forgotten Realms.

20081015.gif

Hordes of the Underdark was great in spite of this.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Holy fuck, seriously?!
Actually I went and checked, and my memory was wrong. It wasn't a lvl1 dragon, but a lvl2 scaled-down Beholder :lol:

Doesn't really matter, because everything could be level-scaled in SCL, both a lvl1 dragon and beholder were possible. And of course, on SCL's forums (now defunct) people were defending this: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...pre-release-thread.96970/page-71#post-4123207

My point is that all the cooldowns/scalable beholders shit in SCL was Ok'ed by WotC. When people here state they have no confidence in Larian and WotC this isn't without reasons.

Here is a funny one:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
In BG2 a single Mind Flayer can disable your entire party and munch through your brains in 2-3 hits (or less if you dumped Int)

just sayin

BG2 mind flayers are an outlier. They had no such "bam you're dead" abilities in IWD2, NWN, or NWN2.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
In BG2 a single Mind Flayer can disable your entire party and munch through your brains in 2-3 hits (or less if you dumped Int)

just sayin

BG2 mind flayers are an outlier. They had no such "bam you're dead" abilities in IWD2, NWN, or NWN2.
As a kid I really underestimated will saves and I didn't care for defensive buffs, so I entered the Mind Flayers' lair in IWD2 with a party of character with Wisdom 3 and no protection against mind-affecting abilities whatsoever. I couldn't make a single step without my entire party getting stunned until death.

So I guess they have "bam you're dead" abilities in IWD2, if you are an idiot like me.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
How exactly will you motivate your party NPCs to stay with you when you... uh... well, reveal your new motivations.

Turn them all into undead? That'd be boring. Does Pathfinder have soul (enslavement) contracts?

The succubus can probably be corrupted to fall again, reverse Jaethal.

Hellknights are lawful stupid, and the gnome is supposed to be evil. And the Whispering Tyrants also had living lackeys, either cults or promised by great power/riches.

The "hide my alignment" elven shaman is probably evil as well. No reason to hide your alignment unless you are actively being pursued by forces of good or something like that. Like the Hellknights probably "WE CAN RULE TOGETHER MUAHAHAHAHA" kind of thing.

The other one I guess is the Asimaar Oracle? Oracle being prosecuted means that he will probably convert to evil out of spite. Or maybe he is touched by evil gods.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I am reading the BG3 thread and fuck,every new thing that i learn about the game just makes me think how superior Kingmaker will be. Every new thing i learn about is pure decline,fuck it feelz like endless decline. Four people party,co-op orientated,tb,no day/nigh cycle,popamole timer spells (wow like) spells,level 10 cap,butchered lore,dos2 story line,larian writers,homofags everywhere,only 5 companions,etc etc. I just fucking see anything positive about the game :(.

Last edited:

Ipum

Novice
In 3,5 DnD MF can instakill.
" (Ex): Improved Grab use this ability, the mind flayer must hit a Small to Large creature with its tentacle attack. If it gets a hold, it attaches the tentacle to the opponent's head. A mind flayer can grab a Huge or larger creature, but only if it can somehow reach the foe's head.

After a successful grab, the mind flayer can try to attach its remaining tentacles with a single grapple check. The opponent can escape with a single successful grapple check or Escape Artist check, but the mind flayer gets a +2 circumstance bonus for every tentacle that was attached at the beginning of the opponent's turn.

Extract (Ex): A mind flayer that begins its turn with all four tentacles attached and successfully maintains its hold automatically extracts the opponent's brain, instantly killing that creature"

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
" (Ex): Improved Grab use this ability, the mind flayer must hit a Small to Large creature with its tentacle attack. If it gets a hold, it attaches the tentacle to the opponent's head. A mind flayer can grab a Huge or larger creature, but only if it can somehow reach the foe's head.

After a successful grab, the mind flayer can try to attach its remaining tentacles with a single grapple check. The opponent can escape with a single successful grapple check or Escape Artist check, but the mind flayer gets a +2 circumstance bonus for every tentacle that was attached at the beginning of the opponent's turn.

Extract (Ex): A mind flayer that begins its turn with all four tentacles attached and successfully maintains its hold automatically extracts the opponent's brain, instantly killing that creature"
That is pretty rare to happen since they are pretty shit at combat. Still a dumb combat rule. Insta kill shit is retarded in any game.

BarbequeMasta

Learned
I am reading the BG3 thread and fuck,every new thing that learn about the game just makes me think how superior Kingmaker will be. Every new thing i learn about is pure decline,fuck it feelz like endless decline. Four people party,co-op orientated,tb,no day/nigh cycle,popamole timer spells (wow like) spells,level 10 cap,butchered lore,dos2 story line,larian writers,homofags everywhere,only 5 companions,etc etc. I just fucking see anything positive about the game :(.
If not for Owlcat I might've gave up on new CRPG games tbh

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Once, years ago, I went to my local gaming store for a demo game of 4e. The officially approved WotC adventure was a linear kobold (or goblin, I can't quite remember) cave with 5ish distinct rooms, each with its own gimmick and unresponsive enemies. And at the end of it was the leader of the kobolds, a White Dragon. At L1. It... did not make a good impression.

"Balance" is a false god. It is always mutually exclusive to what makes the best RPGs, which is toolboxing and flexibility, both which in turn also require the assumption that the GM will make continuous calls. Fags are trying to eliminate both today, and it has made the hobby worse for it.

It's part of why 4e was shit and it's still a big part of why D&D 5e and PF2 are shit.
Creature Ratings were a mistake.
This is the objective truth, and the only correct opinion one can have about RPGs. I wish I could brofist.

That is pretty rare to happen since they are pretty shit at combat. Still a dumb combat rule. Insta kill shit is retarded in any game.
Mind Blast stuns. And git gud, some stuff should be dangerous.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron

According to the description, this "insta" kill would take at least 3 rounds with 3 save-checks.
1. Initial grapple by N tentacles.
2. Grapple by the remaining 4-N tentacles.
3. Starting round with all 4 tentacles attached and a check to maintain hold.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom