Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Is it really that good? Seeing nothing but negative here; although, I take it with a grain of salt. These faggots said Age of Cuckadence would be good, which was banal-shit boring. I've still not finished PoE, but it's a long ass fucking game. I also keep restarting. Just wondering if it's worth it to play this instead of spending whatever free time I have during the Christmas break on Pathfinder: Kingmaker.

Deadfire is damn solid. Not quite as good as Kingmaker, but still, one of the best crpgs to come out in the last 2 decades.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Are there any big dungeons in this game?
Not without DLC.

I have the dlc but really theres no big dungeons in the base game?
They're usually 1-2 maps each.

Lame ass. How big are the dlc dungeons?

I am trying to figure out if its worth it to keep playing this.

Forgotten Sanctum is a damn big and cool dungeon. Breath of Winter is a little more fragmented, but still great.

SSS is different, its basically an arena. Although it does boast some of the best combat challenges in the game. And the Seeker's Fang rapier is great if you're a melee inclined cipher :)

Diggfinger

Arcane
So, I finally finished Deadfire on Path of teh Damned :D:D:D:D:D

Took me 115 hours, almost exactly the same I played PoE 1 in total.
Deadfire definitely a biggergame though, I maxed out at lvl 20 but didnt do any of the DLCs (only Winter one, still miss last boss).

Installed the lvl cap mod (increases to 33\ although max possible is 27(.
Dunno why that wasnt an option in the game, pointless to cap at 20 wth so much content!

Anyway, amazing game!!!!
Is it really that good? Seeing nothing but negative here; although, I take it with a grain of salt. These faggots said Age of Cuckadence would be good, which was banal-shit boring. I've still not finished PoE, but it's a long ass fucking game. I also keep restarting. Just wondering if it's worth it to play this instead of spending whatever free time I have during the Christmas break on Pathfinder: Kingmaker.

Deadfire is awesome for sure, cant go wrong with that one! Ppl here are just talking shit cuz they're bored.

Dunno about Kingmaker though, havent played it.

I'm noticing some microstutters in the game, when I'm in a town. Anyone knows what could cause this? I'm just walking around in the town, and every 8-10 seconds, there is sudden stutter, then it goes back to normal. I'm using an SSD.

I had the same thing! Mostly in Nekataka... seems less of an issue now, patch maybe?

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
So, I finally finished Deadfire on Path of teh Damned :D:D:D:D:D

Took me 115 hours, almost exactly the same I played PoE 1 in total.
Deadfire definitely a biggergame though, I maxed out at lvl 20 but didnt do any of the DLCs (only Winter one, still miss last boss).

Installed the lvl cap mod (increases to 33\ although max possible is 27(.
Dunno why that wasnt an option in the game, pointless to cap at 20 wth so much content!

Anyway, amazing game!!!!

Deadfire is awesome for sure, cant go wrong with that one! Ppl here are just talking shit cuz they're bored.

Dunno about Kingmaker though, havent played it.

I'm noticing some microstutters in the game, when I'm in a town. Anyone knows what could cause this? I'm just walking around in the town, and every 8-10 seconds, there is sudden stutter, then it goes back to normal. I'm using an SSD.

I had the same thing! Mostly in Nekataka... seems less of an issue now, patch maybe?
Sounds good then, everyone who replied. I'm probably still going to finish Kingmaker first because that game was ridiculously good. PoE was so-so, but the DLC was absolutely amazing. I honestly think White March is way, way better than Kingmaker. I just wish the main campaign was as good.

Let me ask this. Is Deadfire as good or better than White March?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

I've installed the game through GOG Galaxy, so I assume it is the latest patched version. Not a gamebreaker bug, but can be a bit annoying.

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I didn't have microstutters - but the area loading is too slow. Especially considering going to every house causes you to reload city when you come out.

pomenitul

Arbiter
People have been complaining about microstutters since forever, especially on NVidia cards. pomenitul can tell you all about that.

It's been more than two years now, and I have yet to come across a proper fix. Disabling the smart camera makes it a mite less noticeable, but on my rig the microstutter only rears its ugly head every 45s or so, which is bearable in the context of a game that requires no small amount of pausing. At 10s or less I'd have given up on it altogether.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron

Well, the answer is unfortunately no.

Still, some game aspects keep high quality. Itemization is among the best in computer games. Encounter design is significantly better then vanilla PoE (WM is still better though).

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
People have been complaining about microstutters since forever, especially on NVidia cards. pomenitul can tell you all about that.

It's been more than two years now, and I have yet to come across a proper fix. Disabling the smart camera makes it a mite less noticeable, but on my rig the microstutter only rears its ugly head every 45s or so, which is bearable in the context of a game that requires no small amount of pausing. At 10s or less I'd have given up on it altogether.
I'd be surprised if there's a fix at all. It's probably Unity being a piece of shit that needed optimizations before they had started working on the game, but Obs don't have good programmers, so ASCII shrug face.

Lacrymas

Arcane
dont blame the tool.not all unity games have bad performance
I'm not saying Unity can't be optimized for good performance, quite the contrary, but it needs optimizations that most devs aren't willing to do. Deadfire's performance got worse and worse as the DLCs came out, so yeah.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Imagine Deadfire: Director's Cut, fixed performance and removed loading screens.
The loading screens of PoE1/2 and Tyranny almost made me quit playing.
They''re now installed on a SSD drive and it improves loading dramatically.
Ill never understand why these games have such bad loading between areas and the only explanation is either programmers suck or unity engine sucks.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Kind of both. Unity needs custom optimization for each game individually and that needs either willingness or good programmers.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Kind of both. Unity needs custom optimization for each game individually and that needs either willingness or good programmers.
Most programmers simply don't know better.

At least game programmers.
To be a game programmer, you don't even need to know stuff like memory optimizations, cache missing, memory pools, loading order, threading optimization, clean coding, etc..
You just need to be able to plug in some Unity marketplace module to do something for you, cobble the rest together and your game will end up working. And you'll still know better than those hiring you, so it's not like they could tell you did a bad job.
In other words, most game programmers nowadays are what coders back in the day would have called "scripters" with maybe some additional knowledge.

Most don't even learn C++ or comparable languages anymore (which would force them to learn some of those techniques). Not because they'd necessarily be too dumb or lazy for that - no, simply because there is no immediate need for that knowledge.
Add to that the notoriously short deadlines on games and you very likely might end up not having time to do optimizations even if you really wanted to - try explaining to a suit why it is a good idea if the game literally works without doing it.

Those who would know better are then usually hired not to program games, but to program the tools that games are programmed in.
You can bet your ass the best coders in the games industry work for Unity, Epic, etc. and they are not working on games themselves.

I keep saying this, but it's true:
I'm really damn lucky I learned game development & programming before Unity was a thing. Might never have learned C/C++ otherwise.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom