Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Paradox just went public, makes sense they now want to hide their sales and use bullshit marketing maneuvers to inflate numbers...

The sad thing is that now more companies will likely ask SteamSpy to do the same.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This is what I see in that link:

Score rank: 72% Userscore: 88% Metascore: 89%
Owners: 705,037 ± 20,133
Players in the last 2 weeks: 26,577 ± 3,913 (3.77%)
Players total: 656,262 ± 19,425 (93.08%)
Peak concurrent players yesterday: 1,507
Peak on Twitch yesterday: 21 viewers, 3 channels
YouTube stats: 1,610 views and 64 comments for videos uploaded last week, 13 new videos uploaded yesterday.
Playtime in the last 2 weeks: 10:59 (average) 02:43 (median)
Playtime total: 37:52 (average) 17:46 (median)

It says it's a copy from May 31st.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
This is what I see:

xxPVblM.png

A copy from June 2.

Fairfax

Arcane
Why did the guy comply in the first place? Valve may have been within its right to try and shut it down in the past, but they're ok with it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Why did the guy comply in the first place? Valve may have been within its right to try and shut it down in the past, but they're ok with it.

On twitter he said it's because he wants it to help, not hurt, developers.

Rev

Arcane
isn't nearly 700k in sales pretty good for a game that's 50 bucks and didnt cost any money to make?
It's pretty good, yes, and the actual sales are a bit higher than 700k, considering that the game was also sold on GOG and other digital (and even physical) retailers.
Anyhow, Obsidian's cut is nowhere near 50 dollars each copy sold. You have to take out of the equation taxes (in my country, it's 22% for luxury products so 11 $ go to that). Also, Steam takes about 30% out of every copy sold in its platform (GOG and others take a bit less, IIRC, but probably it's still a similar share), so we have other 11,7 $ that will not arrive in the developer's purse. Finally, Obsidian made a deal with Paradox for publishing so they ought to have their share as well (although, since Paradox didn't fund the game they shouldn't take too much). Still, they should've made quite some money with PoE, even if you count them netting at something like 15-20 dollars per copy, which is a bit more likely as an estimation.

Sannom

Augur
It's pretty good, yes, and the actual sales are a bit higher than 700k, considering that the game was also sold on GOG and other digital (and even physical) retailers.
The version sold in physical retailers was linked to Steam, I think they should be included in that.

Dux

Arcane
So I've just started playing PoE and I'm currently in Gilded Vale. I have some initial impressions.

It all feels a little bland, to be brutally honest. That particular observation, though, is like beating a deader-than-dead horse. The production values or whatever you call it feels... underwhelming. It really does feel like I'm playing Lords of Xulima. Now, I have nothing against Lords of Xulima at all but it looks and feels like a game that's not exactly top-tier in terms of presentation. That's perfectly understandable. Whereas Baldur's Gate always felt rich in its overall design, PoE comes across as somewhat flat. Maybe that'll all change as I progress in the game but I've seen nothing so far which would indicate that. I realise that this can be interpreted as sheer nitpicking.

My next point - which is far more specific and alarming - is the dialogue. I guess I didn't really think much of it as I played through the opening bit. There were some nice touches there. My problem derives from the conversation you have with Aloth outside the inn. Perhaps this kind of thing is actually just a one-off but I doubt it. The entire situation involving Aloth and the angry townsfolk made me really angry. It showcased pretty much everything I detest about Obsidian's writing. The dialogue choices fucking suck. I'll recap in case anyone's forgotten how the Aloth encounter plays out. First, you walk by a minority who's being harassed by some bigots. Gee, I would never have expected to see that in an Obsidian game. :roll: Second, you're inevitably dragged into the affair. At first I could play it cool and just indifferently watch as the peasants bullied the elf. Why? Because that's what my character would do. He's a jaded son-of-a-bitch and doesn't give a shit about local drama. That's it. Can I do that? Can I choose not to get involved? Nope, of course I can't. I even implied directly to the pissed off townsfolk that I couldn't give a shit less about what was happening. What did they do? They attacked ME. Then, when the peasants are all gibbed, I'm sucked into a conversation with the fruity elf. Now, I have no wish whatsoever to talk to the motherfucker, but Obsidian clearly knows better than me and gives me a string of dialogue options that all mean the same thing. I have to indulge him and I have to indulge Obsidian.

Am I wrong here? Having played a majority of their games, it really seems like it always has to be about them. This is one thing I cannot stomach in RPGs. I fully realise that you can't always get the dialogue choice that you want - or the one that corresponds to your character's personality - but when you're given FOUR dialogue choices that all say the same fucking thing - then fuck it. I just have to bond with Aloth, don't I? Make sure he's okay and be all nice. Because he's a joinable companion, which means he's special. I can tolerate a lot of things but when I see shit like this - and I've seen it too many times in Obsidian games - I can't let it slide. I just can't anymore. Just give me an option to terminate the conversation, if I'm not interested. A fifth choice. Why is that so taboo? If it's a critical conversation central to the main story I can forgive certain things but not when I'm just walking outside an inn.

Sooooooo... off to a great start, aren't I? :) I'm curious, though, is it just my Aspie self that gets angry at stuff like this? What can I expect going forward?

Dux

Arcane
Reject joinable companions and make your own party. After that initial, forced interaction, was the last time I ever encountered Aloth.

What about the rest of the game? It doesn't really matter if it's Aloth or not. If I'm made to endure similiar dialogue debacles with any given character that I encounter, then I don't know if it's really worth it. I can probably tolerate everything else being underwhelming but if the dialogue choices don't hold up, it's going to be rough.

Dorateen

Arcane
I didn't play for the dialogue choices. There's a multi-level dungeon delve, bounty hunting and the White March expansion is excellent. A lot of the writing is heavy handed, but I was able to ignore and carry on playing the game I wanted. And whatever you do, don't click on any of the "backer" NPCs to avoid reading through irrelevant walls of text.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Aloth isn't a minority, he's an imperialist oppressor being resisted by local patriots. :cool: (pay attention, they're not bashing him because he's an elf, one of them is an elf)

Prime Junta

is it just my Aspie self that gets angry at stuff like this

Probably. There's been an incredible amount of shit talked about Pillars, but this is the first time I'm hearing that particular complaint.

I give you 12 points for creativity though, hard to come up with new stuff to bash it for at this point.

(You totally misread the situation btw, but then Infinitron already pointed that out. Dyrwoodans don't have anything against elves, but they really don't like Aedyrans. Dyrwood is sort of like the Colonies around 1780, with Aloth being the filthy Englishman.)

karfhud

Augur
Finally managed to finish PoE, liked it a lot for what it was. Writing was better than expected (although, like MCA mentioned - I think he did - in the last Codex interview, the Gods' theme was a bit underplayed in Act I, and II as well iirc), generally enjoyed all of the companions (played with Eder, Aloth, Durance, Sagani and Kana - Kana got benched when Grieving Mother popped up). Durance was probably the strongest in terms of story support.

Most of the locations were surprisingly well done as well; Burial Isle deserves particular praise here.

How does the White March fare in comparison to PoE, story- and encounter-wise?

Metal Hurlant

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
It all feels a little bland, to be brutally honest.

<stuff>

What can I expect going forward?

10/10 GOTY.

It gets better and better and ends with one of the best endings you'll ever experience in a rpg. Just stick with it. I promise. If you feel like hitting that wall and can't continue in the second or third act, just keep going. You owe it to us to tell how you liked the ending.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Finally managed to finish PoE, liked it a lot for what it was. Writing was better than expected (although, like MCA mentioned - I think he did - in the last Codex interview, the Gods' theme was a bit underplayed in Act I, and II as well iirc), generally enjoyed all of the companions (played with Eder, Aloth, Durance, Sagani and Kana - Kana got benched when Grieving Mother popped up). Durance was probably the strongest in terms of story support.

Most of the locations were surprisingly well done as well; Burial Isle deserves particular praise here.

How does the White March fare in comparison to PoE, story- and encounter-wise?

It's better. If you liked PoE, you'll like it more. If you hated PoE, no need to come back for the expansion.

Though I'd suggest playing it with a new character, get to level ~7 then do TWM content. Doing it with a level 12 party isn't as fun for the most part. High/max level content like the new dragon, Cragholdt and the swamp will be fine, but the rest of the stuff will won't be as good.

Dux

Arcane
Hey, I got some PoE lore for you: Elves are gay/welsh and the Aedyran republics can go to hell/Wales. What am I doing in this game anyway? It's like I catch a ride to the frontier - far beyond the walled security of Cardiff - hoping to get my life back in check, only to randomly contract AIDS on the way. That's pretty grimdark.

Meh, I think I'll put it on the back burner for now, until I'm in a better mood. The game is probably good for what it is, honestly. Meanwhile, I have Gothic to hold me warm and that's all a man really needs.

I still stand by my point, though, regarding multiple dialogue choices which all essentially say the same thing. It's a black mark in RPGs, in my opinion.

Prime Junta

I still stand by my point, though, regarding multiple dialogue choices which all essentially say the same thing. It's a black mark in RPGs, in my opinion.

In Pillars' case though, most of the "same" dialogue choices do affect your disposition. This is significant for paladins and priests, for everybody else it's mostly flavour.

Starwars

Arcane
Think I'm gonna replay this but not sure what class to use. Did Cipher and Monk, both of which I enjoyed, previously.

Sizzle

Arcane

In Pillars' case though, most of the "same" dialogue choices do affect your disposition. This is significant for paladins and priests, for everybody else it's mostly flavour.

Though there are some quests and situations which play out differently depending on your disposition.

Think I'm gonna replay this but not sure what class to use. Did Cipher and Monk, both of which I enjoyed, previously.

I enjoyed playing a rogue quite a bit. You could try that if you haven't played with them before. But most of the classes are different enough that any one of them could be fun.

Prime Junta

rogues are fun, they will die alot but youll slaughter most things.
chanters are good but they dont get GREAT until mid game
paladins are boring
fighters are extremely boring
rangers can be fun, in my 1.04 playthrough it was hilarious marking thaos with and then using wounding shot with the shotgun you get from doing the dyrford ogre quest and doing a bazillion damage.
barbarians are kind of boring

Hehe. Funny how different people have different preferences. My take:

rogues are tedious, they require tons of micro or you'll need to rest way too much
chanters are boring, you just sing and spam the same invocations over and over again, also everything stacks so a party of them will just sing everything to death
paladins are super-cool and exciting and you can build them every which way, especially if you build them around Flames of Devotion and Zealous Charge
fighters are exciting, especially if you build them for damage and mobility
rangers are fun and synergise really well with each other and most other classes as well
barbarians are weak and boring and make you rest a lot
monks are weeaboo blech
wizards are super-cool and exciting and you can build them every which way, especially if you use your gishy spells whenever appropriate
priests are super-powerful but fragile and kind of boring really
druids are robust reliable all-around casters, and exciting in the frontline as they have scads of powerful cone-shaped spells
ciphers are boring, you just keep spamming the same powers over and over again

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom