Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

Perkel

Arcane
Poland broke 100 cases, 3 dead.

Some online mass media rags are talking about "rumors" that army and police will soon blockade roads and how all those rumors are fake news... yeah right.

Mazisky

Magister
I started doing Siege of Cragholdt as well, the mercenaries were still tough, but not near impossible to beat. How difficult is the Concelhaut fight and what are the rewards for it? Is it worth doing at all?
You get to keep Concelhaut's skull, which is weirdly satisfying...

You also get 2 unique spells, so it's really worth if you have a Wiz on team.

Nas92

Augur
You also get 2 unique spells, so it's really worth if you have a Wiz on team.
One's Concelhaut's crushing doom, but which is the other one? Also, how do you actually summon a visage of Concelhaut?
Anyhow, yeah, I managed to defeat Concelhaut, though it took a couple of tries. Fortunately I didn't need to bottleneck cheese it with the doorway, though I did manage to run away for a while when only a wounded Concelhaut and an animated wand remained. Strange thing is that the combat was kind of half going on (the boss fight theme was playing) but also I could actually save my game. Weird, it's not supposed to allow that, does it?

I also finally managed to kill the Master Below. I couldn't keep her paralyze locked all the way, only some of the time. She seemed weaker to mind based attacks (Confuse, Dominate) really. Nearly still lost though, and this is with a Level 14 party, meaning I outleveled the content and still only won due to luck basically. She kept failing to kill Durance and my paladin and they kept resurrecting people (only to get killed again, but still) and healing like crazy.

Ulfhednar

Savant
I think the other unique spell is C’s draining missiles. If you equip the skull as a pet, you can summon the visage from your backpack the way you would for other trinkets.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Bros this game's been sitting in my library for years and I finally have some time to actually play an RPG and damn...

Game's really fun. Was a bit slow to start but now that I've just finished Act 2 I have an OP-as-fuck party running around and really enjoying their take on classes (chanter is cool as hell and so is priest). Only thing is that I started the game on normal but at this point my party is so strong I literally just left click on things and let the combat play out in 2x speed and barely do anything but position the group then auto-attack cuz my dudes never get hit. Considering bumping it up to hard but I'm guessing that mode will be pretty easy too.

Also I'm really enjoying the writing/characters/story, the tone is just about where I like an rpg to be (aka not a clown fiesta like larian games) and man, really impressed with the writing for some of the characters. Lore and world building is interesting to.

Anyway that's that, it's nice to have some time to actually play an RPG, I haven't had the chance in years and I'm glad I picked this one.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Go Path of the Damned if you want a decent challenge (for a while)... although I'm not sure you can enable it mid-game any more.

Also you're in for a real treat with the White March. That's easily the best part of both PoE games and one of the best game content in general I've had the pleasure to play. I recommend you do not delay that DLC, so it doesn't become too easy. Start WM1 at like level 7, maybe 8.

Prime Junta

Yeah if you're not a complete casual then Hard is about where Normal ought to be, and PotD is more or less like Core Rules in the BGs, until you blast past the difficulty curve and faceroll everything anyway.

The White Marches are easily the high point of the entire Pillars thing. Deadfire isn't as horrible as some people make it out to be; it's not like there's anything dreadfully wrong with it like in DA:Inquisition for example. It just feels flat, a potboiler rather than a work of passion. If you look too closely at Pillars 1 the cracks will show pretty easily, but there are enough high points and moments of joy and creativity in it to make up for it. A lot of those are in the White Marches.

BarbequeMasta

Learned
Go Path of the Damned if you want a decent challenge (for a while)... although I'm not sure you can enable it mid-game any more.

Also you're in for a real treat with the White March. That's easily the best part of both PoE games and one of the best game content in general I've had the pleasure to play. I recommend you do not delay that DLC, so it doesn't become too easy. Start WM1 at like level 7, maybe 8.
Yeah, the white march is the reason I was legit hyped for POE2, I thought they could deliver a full game of that quality. then deadfire happend... sigh....

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Eh, Deadfire isn't bad. In quite many aspects it is indeed better then PoE1. It just doesn't reach the heights of WM.
Though I'm not a fan of Obsidian stepping down from some great mechanics they had for the 1st part: Health&Endurance and Vancian casting on "classic" classes.
Nerfs to some classes, like Priests and Barbarians can be painful. Then again, there is great multiclassing, interesting subclasses and superb itemization, so you loose some but gain even more.

Still, its very solid. And the DLCs are pretty good too.

Prime Junta

Yeah, the white march is the reason I was legit hyped for POE2, I thought they could deliver a full game of that quality. then deadfire happend... sigh....

Yeah, same. It took a while for it to sink in. For me personally I think some of the more obvious flaws in Deadfire would be forgivable if the "micro" level was just more fun. Josh just doesn't grok the importance of per-rest casting and non-regenerating health in this type of game; that removes an entire dimension and a sense of urgency from it.

The writing is also just dull; it's better edited and more polished than in Pillars 1 but none of the characters are anywhere near as memorable, relatable, or just fun as, say, Zahua. The worldbuilding is solid, it looks gorgeous, moment-to-moment gameplay is just fine, some of the encounters are nicely set up, it's big and sprawling, it has cool items and abilities and classes and subclasses to play with, but it lacks the magical spark that brings a game alive.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Josh just doesn't grok the importance of per-rest casting and non-regenerating health in this type of game; that removes an entire dimension and a sense of urgency from it.
While playing Kingmaker yesterday I had an occurence where I had to reload and rest in order to enter a conversation while having memorized a specific spell, so that I would get the good dialogue option.

I thought "this is something Josh would disapprove of", but you know what - it was fun, and I don't care if it's "degenerate gameplay" in his book.

Quillon

Arcane
We all saw how he played FNV, if that's degenerate gameplay he's the most degenerate of us all :P

Prime Junta

I've finally tried to get into Bugfinder: Blyatmaker too. Just became a baron but now I'm kind of flailing around not knowing what I ought to be doing. If I stay on the kingdom map doing stuff then time passes awfully fast, and I'm not sure what I'm expected to do when I go out and adventure.

Even so, I think it has "it," whatever it is, while Deadfire doesn't, warts and all.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
I've finally tried to get into Bugfinder: Blyatmaker too. Just became a baron but now I'm kind of flailing around not knowing what I ought to be doing. If I stay on the kingdom map doing stuff then time passes awfully fast, and I'm not sure what I'm expected to do when I go out and adventure.

Even so, I think it has "it," whatever it is, while Deadfire doesn't, warts and all.

but the portraits are so ugly (

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

I had similar questions, but out of roleplaying concerns I didn't google answers, just tried to figure the system out. Some events are resolved immediately, others allow you to assign an advisor and let things brew, but I don't know if the difference is denoted in the UI in any way.

but the portraits are so ugly (
I found hundreds of portraits, some of them very good and new to me, on the nexus. BTW, also perfectly organized and very easy to add to the game, unlike the situation with other games.

We all saw how he played FNV, if that's degenerate gameplay he's the most degenerate of us all :P
Well, maybe that playthrough was what broke him and set him on the path to rectify everything that has been wrong with RPGs' game design. At least it all ended well, with a beer in the sunset.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron

Haplo

Prophet
Patron

Don't worry too much. You will get event card notifications that someone's waiting for your in the castle/wants to speak with you whenever the quests are ready to progress. Don't ignore them TOO long (1-2, even 3 weeks is usually no problem) and you'll be fine.
Always handle the main quests first when they show up. That way you'll generate much less trouble events (often with high DCs) and will have plenty of time to do sidequests/explore/develop your kingdom afterwards in relative peace.
Don't tie your advisors in lenghty projects. They are rarely worth it, particularly in the start. They are needed elsewhere.

As always, there are exceptions to this. One to be more precise. You might optionally delay solving Troll Trouble a bit. Simply explore, recruit new party members and kill what you can (except the troll stronghold). Spend some time developing the kingdom and eventually new events, mobs and even quests will pop up in certain previously explored areas.
When you hear about a certain mage in trouble, make haste though.

Oh, and there is the periodic Ancient Hill Curse main quest. That one is a bit special, basically acting as the framing between the acts. You get notifications about it very early, but its on a timer. You need to attend to it EXACTLY 2 weeks before the timer expires. Before that time, there's nothing to be found. After that EVERY DAY you delay will cost hefty kingdom stat penalties. Assign an advisor to it (ignore high DC, you'll auto-succeed if you're actively involved), prepare and go fight.

Last edited:

Elex

Arbiter

Game time is of utmost importance. Failure to keep careful track of time expenditure by player characters will result in many anomalies in the game. The stricture of time is what makes recovery of hit points meaningful. Likewise, the time spent adventuring in wilderness areas removes concerned characters from their bases of operations – be they rented chambers or battlemented strongholds. Certainly the most important time strictures pertains to the manufacturing of magic items, for during the period of such activity no adventuring can be done. Time is also considered in gaining levels and learning new languages and more. All of these demands upon game time force choices upon player characters and likewise number their days of game life…YOU CAN NOT HAVE A MEANINGFUL CAMPAIGN IF STRICT TIME RECORDS ARE NOT KEPT.
This is why poe 1 is decent poe 2 is terrible and kingmaker is good.

Limited resource are good.
Limited resource with limited time is better (but require careful managing and balance).

limited resource and limited time force you to choice, choices are a big part of roleplay.

Prime Junta

What's that quote from?

-- It's good advice although STRICT TIME RECORDS is overstating it a bit IMO, the strictness depends on the campaign. But if no time records are kept at all then it does make the campaign feel flat, like a theme park set up for the PCs rather than a living world doing its own thing.

The best D&D campaign I ran was set in a fantasy version of Warring States China, with Qin relentlessly steamrolling the other kingdoms one by one. That would not have worked if I hadn't kept track of campaign time. In the beginning Qin was a rival somewhere far on the horizon, with the PCs tending to a frontier village a thousand miles away, with its local problems. When the Qin steamroller reached there and gave them the option to submit or die, it was pretty dramatic. In the second act they were working for their new overlords, strictly watched by Lord Shang's secret police, at the same time dealing with an ancient curse dating from the fall of the mythical golden-age Xi empire. The campaign ended with the madness and death of Qin Shi Huangdi in his mausoleum, with a part of the party remaining entombed with him.

Good times. Wouldn't have worked without timekeeping. But strict... eh, didn't bother.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Yes, okay, but why do I need to mod the game to be able to play it?
Techincally the lack of good portraits does not *disable* you from playing.

One thing I like about Kingmaker is how the overall tone of the game opens the opportunities for fun/parody characters. Playing through the prologue once gave me the inspiration for a caricature "unlikely baron" who stumbles through the challenges, and given the existing portraits' style I ended up with this portrait:

Elex

Arbiter
What's that quote from?

-- It's good advice although STRICT TIME RECORDS is overstating it a bit IMO, the strictness depends on the campaign. But if no time records are kept at all then it does make the campaign feel flat, like a theme park set up for the PCs rather than a living world doing its own thing.

The best D&D campaign I ran was set in a fantasy version of Warring States China, with Qin relentlessly steamrolling the other kingdoms one by one. That would not have worked if I hadn't kept track of campaign time. In the beginning Qin was a rival somewhere far on the horizon, with the PCs tending to a frontier village a thousand miles away, with its local problems. When the Qin steamroller reached there and gave them the option to submit or die, it was pretty dramatic. In the second act they were working for their new overlords, strictly watched by Lord Shang's secret police, at the same time dealing with an ancient curse dating from the fall of the mythical golden-age Xi empire. The campaign ended with the madness and death of Qin Shi Huangdi in his mausoleum, with a part of the party remaining entombed with him.

Good times. Wouldn't have worked without timekeeping. But strict... eh, didn't bother.
Dungeon master guide gary gigax. It’s a criptic quote in some part but the point is clear.
There are many videos and blogs around the web about “wtf strict mean??”

Last edited:

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard

Yeah I wanted to switch to POTD but it doesn't let you mid game, and I really don't want to start all over just for that. I'll just put it on hard and maybe when I get to PoE2 I'll try path there.

Thanks for WM advice too, had no idea when I was supposed to start that I probably would have beaten the main campaign first otherwise tbh and idk if the game even lets you continue playing after main campaign

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom