Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

Parabalus

Arcane
We've talked about this before and the conclusion is attributes in the IE games are pointless because of the strict requirements and the fact most of your attributes are worthless for the class/es you chose.

If you dump resolve you are extremely squishy and prone to interrupts, something to the tune of 30-40 less deflection compared to Eder at lvl 2.
That's purely theoretical, you don't actually feel the squishiness all that much. And as for Eder vs you, where do you get 30-40 less deflection from? The difference is 1 Deflection per point of Resolve.

In-game values from my barb run, 10 difference from RES, 10 from class and 10ish from shield.

You def do feel it until you're overleveled.

You feel it, sure. But such a character is not meant to be the main tank of the party. And to a degree you can compensate with healing, particularly on a Barbarian with a large Health pool. Wear the Consecrated Ground sandals, maybe roll a Moon Godlike, have high might, maybe activate Savage Defiance... and watch your Health bar disappear. Damn, the Health/Endurance dynamic was so good! ...but I digress, other then with healing, you can also compensate for relative squishiness with CC. A Barbarian with a Pron-on-Crit weapon and a large Carnage aoe was just so cool! Never liked any other Barbarian nearly as much, as the PoE1 kit!

The attribute difference creates a marked weakness which you use gameplay to compensate. That's good stuff.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
A wizard can be a front-line tank if you build him this way.

You forgot to explain to me why it is good to have a system where your wizard could potentially be your tank.

The word "wizard" literally means wise in old english. The archetype is based on historical figures like John Dee, who aren't exactly known for their war exploits.

So i ask, why would anyone want to have a system that allows you to have wizards spank enemies in the frontlines?

Who says that a tank cannot be wise? Or a wizard cannot be strong?

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
I'm complaining that the game is destroying any relation between the numbers and the realities those numbers were meant to be an abstraction of in the first place (which is the entire fucking point of a roleplaying game)
So don't fucking play it, it's simple as that.

Leave your basement, go outside or read a book, whatever.
What? Then how can he make 46,000 more retarded posts in a forum?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

You forgot to explain to me why it is good to have a system where your wizard could potentially be your tank.
You mean like in any D&D videogame ever where the best way to tank is to cast Mirror Image with a wizard?

Not what the system intended and that shit only works if you sleep after every fight and it only works because you can exploit the stupidity of the AI.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

The word "wizard" literally means wise in old english. The archetype is based on historical figures like John Dee, who aren't exactly known for their war exploits.

So i ask, why would anyone want to have a system that allows you to have wizards spank enemies in the frontlines?

Who says that a tank cannot be wise? Or a wizard cannot be strong?

You guys keep proving my point lmao.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
If you want to play an archetype, then create that kind of wizard. Also physical strength does not necessarily have anything to do with "war exploits". Plenty of examples of wise gurus with surprising physical strength.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Damn, i've been bamboozled.

Looking at the character creation screen right now, too late now.

Hey, portraits aren't bad.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
jfc 5 pages of whining from a retard who desperately tries to find holes with a system without actually seeing the system.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
So out of trollosity i googled for a sword and board Paladin build, and:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/78874-paladin-build-tea-time-for-board-and-sword/

Story: It is the story of an aristocrat elven girl, who left the unfriendly lands of White that Wends to help her order. Truth is she could not stand the pressure of her father, a baron in title. When she reached the age of 20, she joined the order of Kind Wayfarers and left her town to explore the word and make new friends...

rustled-jimmies-4-bronwinningg-tumblr.png

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Don’t play dumb, Lyric Suite, it doesn’t suit you. It wasn’t the AlMIGHTy’s low THACO that recreated Saul of Tarsus.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Don’t play dumb, Lyric Suite, it doesn’t suit you. It wasn’t the AlMIGHTy’s low THACO that recreated Saul of Tarsus.

Might represents a character's physical and spiritual strength, brute force as well as their ability to channel powerful magic. During interactions, it can be useful for intimidating displays and acts of brute force. In combat, it contributes to both Damage and Healing as well as the Fortitude defense.

As well as. As in, might is ALL of those at once.

Therefore, musclebound wizard we go.

Sannom

Augur
In this game, i have to play Arnold Schwarzenegger Wizard because the meta tells me that muscles help with magic.
Muscles help you dealing and healing damage with magic (or anything else), it doesn't help you with making CC or status effects last longer. Not to mention the friendly fire-free area that a big brain adds to your area of effects spells. Probably don't activate Expert Mode if you want to take advantage of that last one.

Let's move on to my second question: do stats matter in conversations or quests?
Resolve is infamously over-represented in non-combat resolutions to quests or in making fights easier by reducing the number of enemies.

Because a number of idiots are obsessed with the concept of the "muscle wizard" without thinking of what the "brain fighter" should be. Find and read Stray Dogs by Hiromu Arakawa for a good take on each.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Also, bear in mind that the link between INT and wizardry comes from Vancian magic - i.e. from the idea that you need high intelligence to be able to bind and outwit the entities that do the actual magic, to do research, and to keep the brain-bending spells in your memory till discharged.

Without those ideas, magic doesn't have any particular link to intelligence and it could just as easily be a natural ability (as with Gandalf, being an Aesir or whatever the term is, an entity naturally able to do magic) that a jock could have just as easily as a nerd.

Not that I'm particularly defending the idaea of the "muscle wizard", since I think that's a canard (the situation is as I posted earlier, Might was supposed to represent a generalized "puissance" that could be mental or physical) - but even the "muscle wizard" isn't that weird of an idea in and of itself, the only problem is that it would be OP (if you had both high martial ability AND high magic ability).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom