Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Yeah Godlike are overrated, their racial ability rarely outweights the disadvantage of not having a helmet.

PoE1:

Tank - pale elf
tanky dps - human
backline DPS - hearth orlan
Magical DPS/Caster - wood elf

PoE2

Tank - mountain dwarf
tanky dps - human
backline dps - hearth orlan
Caster - nature godlike

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Moon Godlikes are overrated imo. Yeah, their racial ability is pretty flashy and noticeable, but there are ways to replicate that immediately after getting to Defiance Bay (Consecrated Ground boots), and if you are relying too much on it something somewhere is going wrong with your playstyle. It's a crutch that becomes almost useless once you get used to your party and the way the game plays.

Yeah, still they are nice for thematic builds (like healing Paladins) or... aggressive Barbarians (still need to watch the Health which can melt away quickly, but that significant Endurance boost is welcome).

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yeah Godlike are overrated, their racial ability rarely outweights the disadvantage of not having a helmet.

PoE1:

Tank - pale elf
tanky dps - human

PoE2

Tank - mountain dwarf
tanky dps - human
Caster - nature godlike

Nice summary. I have some comments for PoE2, though.

Dwarf is indeed good for a tank, but Wild Orlan is also a good pick for tanks/DPS. Resolve afflictions are frequent and a pain. Permanent resistance to them is very welcome (Con afflictions are also a pain, but rarer - and you can enchant Devil of Caroc Breastplate to provide resistance). Particularly good for Forbidden Fist monks, I'd say.

Pale Elf can be nice for some "stand in your own frost/fire aoe" shenanigans (maybe a Berserker using Grave Calling?).

Lastly I don't agree with Nature Godlike as the general choice for most casters. They are very good for fist monks. But CC/debuff casters will benefit much more from Helm of the White Void (+10 Accuracy for attacks that carry an Affliction!), while offensive DPS casters should wear Deltro's Cage Helmet for its huge lash after being struck with Lightning (for certain bulds, 130% lashes are possible!). Hell, non-Bloodmage wizards may prefer to wear Rekvu's Scorched Casque for permanent Interrupt immunity to use along with Grimoire of Vaporous Wizardry - and enjoy +50% spell slots!
Human would definitely be best for Bloodmages at least - and probably most DPS casters.
Maybe Pale Elf as second choice? Depends on priorities, I guess.

Last edited:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

PoE1:

Tank - pale elf
tanky dps - human

PoE2

Tank - mountain dwarf
tanky dps - human
Caster - nature godlike

Nice summary. I have some comments for PoE2, though.

Dwarf is indeed good for a tank, but Wild Orlan is also a good pick for tanks/DPS. Resolve afflictions are frequent and a pain. Permanent resistance to them is very welcome (Con afflictions are also a pain, but rarer - and you can enchant Devil of Caroc Breastplate to provide resistance). Particularly good for Forbidden Fist monks, I'd say.

Pale Elf can be nice for some "stand in your own frost/fire aoe" shenanigans (maybe a Berserker using Grave Calling?).

Lastly I don't agree with Nature Godlike as the general choice for most casters. They are very good for fist monks. But CC/debuff casters will benefit much more from Helm of the White Void (+10 Accuracy for attacks that carry an Affliction!), while offensive DPS casters should wear Deltro's Cage Helmet for its huge lash after being struck with Lightning (for certain bulds, 130% lashes are possible!). Hell, non-Bloodmage wizards may prefer to wear Rekvu's Scorched Casque for permanent Interrupt immunity to use along with Grimoire of Vaporous Wizardry - and enjoy +50% spell slots!
Human would definitely be best for Bloodmages at least - and probably most DPS casters.
Maybe Pale Elf as second choice? Depends on priorities, I guess.

Agree on everything, but going into detailed builds with specific subclasses is a lot deeper that my list intended. As a general guideline you can't go wrong with Nature Godlike on a caster since the druids, priest and wizards can all easily trigger the godlike passive and have permanent +1 power level.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
You can give the good heads to another PC though, there's only a few of them.

This shit again. Look, you’re confusing your sucking at the game with items sucking.

Not the same thing. Git gud.

Sunsetspawn

Arcane
Welcome to the Inn, our only two jukebox choices are Bach and the Dropkick Murphys. If you'd like to hear the main theme to King of the Hill as sung by goblins then the Divinity: Original Sin tavern is just down the road.

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
i.e. less choice.

This, right here, is what proves to me that this system is retarded.

"But, but, who says my twig armed, wheel chair bound character can't be a mighty warrior? He is highly intelligent and i think that counts when swinging a sword!"

Muh choices lmao.

Fucking hell.
a warrior is typically a tank class and doesn't necessarily need to be extremely physically powerful

why can't he just be a big fat guy but can't swing for shit, you don't need might in that case, maybe he's smart in a way because he's so fat and that makes it harder to damage his internal organs and he knows the best way to block attacks

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Warrior being a tank is MMO shit.

In D&D warriors are dps primarily (which makes more sense to me. Nobody trains to "absorb" hits for other people, the job description of any warrior is to kill others). And you need to be in prime physical fitness to serve in the front lines whenever actual physical esxcertion is required.

I mean i can't even begin to grasp how retarded you have to be to argue it's ok to have a fighter with low physical stats 'cause all you need to absorb damage is present a large and well cushioned target. This kind of thinking shows just how retarded modern gayming has become.

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
Warrior being a tank is MMO shit.

In D&D warriors are dps primarily (which makes more sense to me. Nobody trains to "absorb" hits for other people, the job description of any warrior is to kill others). And you need to be in prime physical fitness to serve in the front lines whenever actual physical esxcertion is required.

I mean i can't even begin to grasp how retarded you have to be to argue it's ok to have a fighter with low physical stats 'cause all you need to absorb damage is present a large and well cushioned target. This kind of thinking shows just how retarded modern gayming has become.
in my predefined playpen so and so does so and so

smell ya later gramps

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
muh every fighter must have high strength boomer logic

hey gramps, you forgot to take your heart and brain pills

Neki

Scholar
So, i'm playing this.

What's is with the long walls of text exposition pieces?

In games like PS:T they just show you the world and you get what everything its about fairly quickly, while here its just long talks about history and what happened before.
There's some stuff like wael and his temple which its pretty cool and made me get everything about the character and culture surrounding him immediately.
While some other stuff about the gods and olden wars its all a complicated mess explained in never ending walls of text.

I started skimming through it all but feel like I might be missing something important, does it all come back later or its one of those things that its just exposition for exposition sake?(Because then I can just read a book instead)

I am enjoying the game, but the overcomplicated backstory its starting to wear on me.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Nothing is important, you can skip 95% of dialogue and you'll understand what's going on in the main quest. PST also has massive walls of exposition text, though, it's just more fun and doesn't seem like it.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
In games like PS:T they just show you the world and you get what everything its about fairly quickly,
I'm not sure we played the same game. PS:T is full of overstylized walls of text, it's just that usually they are more interesting than in PoE.

You can safely skip most of the dialogue, just stick to reading what catches your interest. For me, it was mostly everything about companions, gods, and cults.

ferratilis

Magister
Tbh the only walls of text I found annoying were when Watcher looks into someone's soul (I don't mean the ones of golden named characters written by backers, but the ones you encounter in quests). We don't need 200 adjectives to describe someone's thoughts, especially when you encounter a character for the first time. But the writing about lore, history, gods etc. is pretty interesting. It was a new setting at the time, after all. It was probably hard to introduce it in any other way. And it IS an interesting setting. It's just that it is hard to get into it all in your first playthrough.

Also, companions are great. I constantly switch between Sagani, Kana, GM, Hiravias and Zahua because they are all interesting, both narratively and mechanically. All except Aloth and Pallegina, who are insufferable, but the only way to fix that would be to never let Sawyer and Carrie Patel write companions, ever again. We could've also done without the lesbian love story, but fuck, just having two Avellone's marvelous characters is enough to make up for others' shortcomings.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Tbh the only walls of text I found annoying were when Watcher looks into someone's soul
This.

Where are those infamous blocks of text/lore dump that everyone is talking about?

As the guy above said, beside soul reaching and some narrative pieces after dream sequences, the dialogues are rather short and to the point. TBH I haven't noticed much difference between the length of PoE dialogues and, say, BG2 ones.

ferratilis

Magister
Probably when people talk about lore dumps, they mean all the terms that are thrown at you at the beginning. Stuff like biawac, adra, effigy, Waidwen's Legacy, places like Ixamitl or Living Lands that are mentioned in character creation etc. That early in the game, you probably don't care about those things. On second playthrough, it all makes sense and is easier to appreciate, but for most people (especially gamers nowadays) it's too much. I tried to get a few friends into PoE and this was the reason they didn't stick with the game, together with not understanding mechanics like recovery, health/endurance etc. But, as I mentioned, it's hard to introduce a new setting for a big RPG in any other way, especially in a crowdfunded game that has no cutscenes. But those who stick with it are rewarded with interesting lore. Especially when they take all this knowledge into the sequel.

Piotrovitz

Savant
So what you're saying the problem lies not in the volume of text, but the lore-specific terminology, i.e people would not bitch about it if biawac would be named soul storm, adra would be named magical stone or whatever, etc etc.

Then again, same people would bitch about setting/lore being generic - it's a no win situation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom