Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
In this context the only group I don't like very much are the Goldpact Knights, which are almost without flavor beyond being mercenaries.

Mercenaries don't need any more flavor to be cool. Check out my goldpact knight:

image.png

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
can you people make up your mind. one moment it's "he changed it now it sucks", the next it's "it's totally like d&d, that sucks"

Just for the sake of clarity, let me explain what i said here.

The point i was making is that the way the class is designed in practice doesn't actually follow what the claass is according to the lore Sawyer came up with.

All the abilities in the Paladin skil tree are themed according to the classic ideal of the Paladin as found in early D&D or elsewhere. All the skills suggest someone whose powers revolve around faith and spirituality.

The Paladin in this game is unlike D&D in theory but is exactly like D&D in practice. This creates a discrepancy in how you are supposed to be roleplaying one to the kind of roleplay the aesthetic and theme of the class tends to suggest to the player. The Darcozzi are supposed to be carefree and full of love of life. That's why they get an ability called Sacred Immolation or Behold the Martyr. You see the problem here?

Delterius

Arcane
The Darcozzi are supposed to be carefree and full of love of life. That's why they get an ability called Sacred Immolation or Behold the Martyr. You see the problem here?
Not really. It takes a great deal of passion, love for life and a carefree attitude to literally burn for a cause. In this case the cause being Vailian civilization itself. No one is more carefree than martyrs as they find purpose, and relief, in oblivion. Making a game where patriots join a military order to literally burn for their country is pretty based.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I get what you're saying Lyric Suite but I don't really see the issue in practice. The alternative would be to make less diversity in the amount of orders for the sake of... what, fluff in the rules? The orders have somewhat fluff-appropriate special abilities specific to their order, that's fine. Think you're nitpicking honestly.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
That's why they get an ability called Sacred Immolation or Behold the Martyr. You see the problem here?
No, because I don't think the characters actually shout the names of their moves like in Pokémon.

A paladin that draws his power from sacred ideals will immolate himself in sacred flames, while a paladin that wants to defend the free market will spontaneously combust thanks to his hatred for commies or something.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
That's why they get an ability called Sacred Immolation or Behold the Martyr. You see the problem here?
No, because I don't think the characters actually shout the names of their moves like in Pokémon.

A paladin that draws his power from sacred ideals will immolate himself in sacred flames, while a paladin that wants to defend the free market will spontaneously combust thanks to his hatred for commies or something.

Sometimes the invisible hand becomes the invisible fist, commie filth!

Oh man. New paladin play through coming up, just need to find mods for a top hat and a monocle.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
The alternative would be to make less diversity in the amount of orders

Says who?

Less diversity in terms of the kind of lore that would appeal to euphoric retards or George R. R. Martin (the guy who ruined fantasy forever as far as i'm concerned) worshippers perhaps. Real history seems to offer dozen upon dozen examples of "holy" warriors of all sorts of stripes, from Shaolin monks, to Japanese Samurai, to the Sufi Mujahideen of Islam all the way to the Kshatryia of India who have a whole sacred book dedicated to them (The Baghavad Gita).

Of course, there's a common theme linking all of those and that is the ideal of the "holy" warrior precisely, which i guess is the crux of the problem here, isn't it? None of the examples i cited, different as they are, offer the kind of "diversity" some people are actually looking for.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Obviously the more you have to diversify kits according to each specialization the more strain on development. We don’t live in a magical christmas land where Obs could make one unique kit for each order

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
They are mutually exclusive retard.

One must be passionate to die for a cause.

Yeah, except the "cause" is life, which invariably excludes dying by definition.

And last i checked, you don't "immolate" yourself for the sake of eating good food and having sex with lots of wenches. Dying for a cause implies you are serving something that is above "life".

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Obviously the more you have to diversitet kits according to each specialization the more strain on development. We don’t live in a magical christmas land where Obs could make one unique kit for each order

Indeed?

And here i was thinking you could have expanded the disposition system to every class. Aren't there thieving guilds rogues would like to join in? What about bardic societies for the Chanter? Why limit yourself to the Paladin?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
NO I CANNOT DIE I HAVE TO LIVE SO I CAN FIGHT TO NOT DIE FOR MY GOD THAT DOES NOT EXIST!

Are you guys being retarded on purpose?

If the "cause" your order is devoted to is living a carefree existence devoted to enjoying life, how the fuck does dying fit into it? By definition, the point would be to do as little dying as possible in order to maximize the " enjoying life" part.

I mean fucking hell.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom