Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Meanwhile, the real life crusaders: literally crossing to the side of infidels if large enough bribe was offered.

"Real" life according to Fedora retards.
I mean, they did sack Constantinople, dealing a considerable blow to Christian influence in the East as well as a less unified Christianity as a whole.
And this was during a crusade where they were supposed to take back Jerusalem from the Muslims.

That has nothing to do with it. It is a forgone conclution that there was nothing spiritual about the motivations of the Crusaders because Fedoras don't believe in spirituality a priori, so this kind of evidence is besides the point. For them every single Crusader was motivated by "greed", no exceptions, up to and including St. Bernard probably.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Yeah and in Eora this world is the next. Everyone reincarnates. Everyone gains a little or loses a little with each turn of the wheel. And this specific vailian military order burns with patriotism.

And patriotism makes them "holy" warriors because?
Priests and Paladins do not gain power from a transcendental entity. They also do not call upon a power that only they have. They are shaped into power by mortal and godly doctrine. Fanatical belief, a set of principles, and a number of teachings combined with a very specific set of training directives is what differs Priests and Paladins from each other and from everybody else in Eora. I'd envision that the shared experience of brotherhood, soldiery, and zeal is the heart of being a Paladin in this world.

None of that shit means anything. It's word salad without the slighest hint of a concrete idea underneath it.

Brotherhood, soldiery and zeal? I suppose Eder never experienced any of that, right? I guess in this world ONLY the Paladins get to share those kind of experiences..

You also have yet to explain why all the abilities of the Paladins are religious nature. How do the Paladins get to heal others, or revive them? Because of their "brotherhood" and "zeal"? How? Those abilties are magical, how does "zeal", something that ANYONE can experience, lead to the acquisition of those specific abilities exactly? What's the mechanism here?

Or is it just a matter of degree? Don't the Fangs have zeal in their mission to protect those ruins whatever the fuck they are called. Why aren't they Paladins?
In D&D a priest of Oghma can be granted the power to heal grievous wounds. Do all of Oghma's faithful gain such powers?

How is "patrionism" analogous to Oghma? How is an abstraction equivalent to a concrete divine entity?

None of that shit means anything. It's word salad without the slighest hint of a concrete idea underneath it.

Brotherhood, soldiery and zeal? I suppose Eder never experienced any of that, right? I guess in this world ONLY the Paladins get to share those kind of experiences.

You also have yet to explain why all the abilities of the Paladins are religious in nature. How do the Paladins get to heal others, or revive them? Because of their "brotherhood" and "zeal"? How? Those abilties are magical, how does "zeal", something that ANYONE can experience, lead to the acquisition of those specific abilities exactly? What's the mechanism here?

Or is it just a matter of degree? Don't the Fangs have zeal in their mission to protect those ruins whatever the fuck they are called. Why aren't they Paladins?
What! You do not comprehension anon! Do not! What! You do think it is Greyhawk nonsense anon but it is Eora nonsense anon! It is! It is other flavour nonsense anon! It is! All Pillars class ability is from SOUL MAGIC nonsense anon! It is! Do you know the English anon! Do you! All Pillars character are caster anon! It is true anon! It is!

Codex Year of the Donut

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Lyric has no idea about Eora or how it operates. Are you still in the first fucking town?
"Ah-ha! I took the thing you like and inverted it! I am so smart!"

People who do deconstructions should be deconstructed irl.
I'm not sure why Dungeon and Dragons fanboys just want to play Dungeons and Dragons their whole life but I think they are faggots.

Rusty: Sorry I don't know you or want to know you.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Codex Year of the Donut
Lyric has no idea about Eora or how it operates. Are you still in the first fucking town?
"Ah-ha! I took the thing you like and inverted it! I am so smart!"

People who do deconstructions should be deconstructed irl.
I'm not sure why Dungeon and Dragons fanboys just want to play Dungeons and Dragons their whole life but I think they are faggots.

Rusty: Sorry I don't know you or want to know you.
I've invented a new color. I call it blue.
Here is my color:
image.png

Do i need to know the twist to understand why patriotism gives people the ability to heal others?
Are you ETL anon anon! Are you! What! Do you UNDERSTAND ENGLISH WORD anon! Do you! All Pillars ability anon are from LIMITLESS DEFINITION ANIME CONVENIENCE SOUL MAGIC anon! It is true anon! It is! Do not give me you osmium density nonsense anon! Do not!

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
The problem arises from DND using the term paladin when they should have used Knight Templar or some such. Paladins of Charlemagne were companions and are best represented as a close military order.

Speaking of which, the term knight is criminally underused in RPGs, as well as man-at-arms as a class (perhaps as a subclass of fighter).

Delterius

Arcane
The problem arises from DND using the term paladin when they should have used Knight Templar or some such. Paladins of Charlemagne were companions and are best represented as a close military order.

Speaking of which, the term knight is criminally underused in RPGs, as well as man-at-arms as a class (perhaps as a subclass of fighter).
Are you implying that Charlemagne wasn't a Ghazi?

Codex Year of the Donut

D&D paladins are explicitly modeled after Charlemagne. The problem is that faux-D&D and other RPGs turned them into fighters with healing that pay lip service to some god, and frequently they don't even do that anymore. No code, no ethos, no fealty, no chivalry.

Ninjerk

Arcane

I already know all about souls and reincarnation. It's explained in the first town too.

Ok but you don't know the twist?

Do i need to know the twist to understand why patriotism gives people the ability to heal others?
In my view: no, if we're right that paladins do not derive their "magic/holy" powers by invoking the divine.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

I already know all about souls and reincarnation. It's explained in the first town too.

Ok but you don't know the twist?

In my view: no, if we're right that paladins do not derive their "magic/holy" powers by invoking the divine.

Well, obviously that cannot be the case, unless you are going to tell me "patriotism" or "business contracts" have become self conscious divine entities like the chaos gods in Warhammer 40k or some shit.

Delterius

Arcane
Well, obviously that cannot be the case, unless you are going to tell me "patriotism" or "business contracts" have become self conscious divine entities like the chaos gods in Warhammer 40k or some shit.
Lyric Suite before you start going for the higher level ideas you gotta start with the basic ones. Tell me: In D&D a priest of Oghma can be granted the power to heal grievous wounds. Do all of Oghma's faithful gain such powers?

Paladins are martial zealots, devoted to a god, a ruler, or even a way of life.
A paladin's commands can stave off impending death, overcome fatigue, or hasten the charge to close breached defenses. And though they are not always pledged to the service of a god or gods, paladins are so singularly focused on their chosen cause that their souls are continually creating a wellspring of spiritual energy from which they can blast groups of foes in their immediate vicinity.
You do say that I am autism robot anon but you do stubborn insistence anon apply rule from other setting anon to Pillars setting anon like special education barn animal anon! You do!

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The existential dread LS feels from the Paladins in PoE is the same my detracts feel when I say I have an academy for female Barbarians in my setting. Being trained to do something is inconceivable and wrong.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom