Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

Bigg Boss

Arcane
NO I CANNOT DIE I HAVE TO LIVE SO I CAN FIGHT TO NOT DIE FOR MY GOD THAT DOES NOT EXIST!

Are you guys being retarded on purpose?

If the "cause" your order is devoted to is living a carefree life, how the fuck does dying fit into it? By definition, the point would be to do as little dying as possible in order to maximize the "life" part.

I mean fucking hell.
Why don't you go beat the game and come back and talk some more? Also, yes I make jokes but you have always been too autistic to jive with those.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
NO I CANNOT DIE I HAVE TO LIVE SO I CAN FIGHT TO NOT DIE FOR MY GOD THAT DOES NOT EXIST!

Literally a Paladin of Atheism :P

I can see it now :
"So who do you worship?"
"The god who does not exist"
"So...you don't worship anyone?"
"Blasphemy! We have a god, he just doesn't exist!"
"I don't follow"
"You're an unbeliever, you wouldn't understand" - The paladin tips his fedora and adjusts his glasses.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
This thread was better when it was Lyric Suite's travel diary. You guys are boring.
95 percent of lyric suite's travel diary is his being paralyzed with autism at the character creation scream and everyone else reacting to it so what are you talking about.
I mean the dude has 300 messages since 2017 so he clearly is a lurking autist that has jacked off the entire time Lyric posted about not playing the game.
Great now he is humping my leg. ;)

It would be too much to ask Lyric to do a LP.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

Are you guys being retarded on purpose?

If the "cause" your order is devoted to is living a carefree existence devoted to enjoying life, how the fuck does dying fit into it? By definition, the point would be to do as little dying as possible in order to maximize the " enjoying life" part.

I mean fucking hell.
Come on LS, it doesn't take much imagination to come up with something that would justify it. Defending a cause can mean defending it for others who cannot do it themselves.

"Oh no, it's the Stress Demon! I must defeat it, or the entire world will be subjected to three hundred centuries of stressful unenjoyable existence! I will kill it and sacrifice my soul to seal it away forever!"

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
If the "cause" your order is devoted to is living a carefree existence devoted to enjoying life, how the fuck does dying fit into it?

The cause of the order is to advance vailian culture and power. It's literally patriotism and laughing in the face of death because Vailia is that great.

Klingons are inspired by Viking culture where "dying" has nothing whatsoever to do with anything concerning this world and has everthing to do with the next (Sto-vo-kor = Vahalla).

War is actually about spirituality. Dying in battle gives the warrior an opportunity to achieve liberation and obtain the Self. But in order for this to happen the warrior must follow a path of honor, virtue and trascendence before hand, not to mention "detachment" for the things in this world (and dying is as supreme an affirmation of detachment from the world as it gets).

If all that was needed was "faith" in some earthly cause, why the fuck does Eder not have sacred powers too? Why doesn't anybody in this world? Who isn't fighting for a "cause", exactly? What makes a Darcozzi Paladin different from Aloth?

Why not just admit that Sawyer wanted to subvert the role because his euphoria made him prejudiced against the idea of it?

Last edited:

Delterius

Arcane
Klingons are inspired by Viking culture where "dying" has nothing whatsoever to do with anything concerning this world and has everthing to do with the next (Sto-vo-kor = Vahalla).

War is actually about spirituality. Dying in battle gives the warrior an opportunity to achieve liberation and obtain the Self. But in order for this to happen the warrior must follow a path of honor, virtue and trascendence before hand.

If all that was needed was "faith" in some earthly cause, why the fuck does Eder not have sacred powers too?
Yeah and in Eora this world is the next. Everyone reincarnates. Everyone gains a little or loses a little with each turn of the wheel. And this specific vailian military order burns with patriotism. You're just someone who's devoid of imagination and treats everything like a fisher price toy. The fucking square needs to go into the square hole. Except in Lyric Suite's mind the square hole is seventeen layers of esoteric bullshit. 'Oh you see I'm not full of shit, soldiers could never burn for their cause while still being carefree every soldier is dour trust me and nothing even makes sense anyways because euurhhgh war is spirituality, no nationalism has no spiritual dimensions you just gotta read st augustine to understand'. Fucking God Dammit.
why the fuck does Eder not have sacred powers too?
'If people can be trained as a Paladin then why isn't Eder one? He's got faith innit???'

Jesus fucking Christ just stop.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
If all that was needed was "faith" in some earthly cause, why the fuck does Eder not have sacred powers too?
Paladins are martial zealots, devoted to a god, a ruler, or even a way of life. They can be found in any culture where a fanatical group of like-minded individuals have formed a warrior society dedicated to advancing their cause.
I guess Eder and Aloth aren't part of a fanatical group of like-minded individuals who have formed a warrior society dedicated to advancing their cause.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

War is actually about spirituality. Dying in battle gives the warrior an opportunity to achieve liberation and obtain the Self. But in order for this to happen the warrior must follow a path of honor, virtue and trascendence before hand.

Yeah and in Eora this world is the next. Everyone reincarnates. Everyone gains a little or loses a little with each turn of the wheel. And the vailians burn with nationalism. You're just someone who's devoid of imagination and treats everything like a fisher price toy. The fucking square needs to go into the square hole. Except in Lyric Suite's mind the square hole is seventeen layers of esoteric bullshit. 'Oh you see I'm not full of shit, soldiers could never burn for their cause while still being carefree every soldier is dour trust me and nothing even makes sense anyways because euurhhgh war is spirituality, no nationalism has no spiritual dimensions you just gotta read st augustine to understand'. Fucking God Dammit.
why the fuck does Eder not have sacred powers too?
'If people can be trained as a Paladin then why isn't Eder one? He's got faith innit???'

Jesus fucking Christ just stop.

LS discusses PoE mechanics and lore with the Codex.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Paladins are martial zealots, devoted to a god, a ruler, or even a way of life. They can be found in any culture where a fanatical group of like-minded individuals have formed a warrior society dedicated to advancing their cause.
I guess Eder and Aloth aren't part of a fanatical group of like-minded individuals who have formed a warrior society dedicated to advancing their cause.

Which has shit to do with drawing spiritual powers from your own soul on account of the intensity of your "faith".

But it shows just how tenous this distinction is between a Paladin and anyone who has "faith" in something when the only difference you can think of is that Paladins are organized in a group while others apparently are not.

Ninjerk

Arcane
If the "cause" your order is devoted to is living a carefree existence devoted to enjoying life, how the fuck does dying fit into it?

The cause of the order is to advance vailian culture and power. It's literally patriotism and laughing in the face of death because Vailia is that great.

War is actually about spirituality. Dying in battle gives the warrior an opportunity to achieve liberation and obtain the Self. But in order for this to happen the warrior must follow a path of honor, virtue and trascendence before hand, not to mention "detachment" for the things in this world (and dying is as supreme an affirmation of detachment from the world as it gets).

If all that was needed was "faith" in some earthly cause, why the fuck does Eder not have sacred powers too? Why doesn't anybody in this world? Who isn't fighting for a "cause", exactly? What makes a Darcozzi Paladin different from Aloth?

Why not just admit that Sawyer wanted to subvert the role because his euphoria made him prejudiced against the idea of it?

Is your issue with incoherence in their values or that they aren't granted their powers by directly invoking them from some god?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Yeah and in Eora this world is the next. Everyone reincarnates. Everyone gains a little or loses a little with each turn of the wheel. And this specific vailian military order burns with patriotism.

And patriotism makes them "holy" warriors because?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

Is your issue with incoherence in their values or that they aren't granted their powers by directly invoking them from some god?

The incoherence lies in the fact the powers are religious in nature but the orders are not. This game has Paladins in fact but not in principle.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Meanwhile, the real life crusaders: literally crossing to the side of infidels if large enough bribe was offered.

"Real" life according to Fedora retards.
I mean, they did sack Constantinople, dealing a considerable blow to Christian influence in the East as well as a less unified Christianity as a whole.
And this was during a crusade where they were supposed to take back Jerusalem from the Muslims.

Codex Year of the Donut
Gary Gygax said:
A paladin is supposed to be the architype of the Christian knight. that means focusing on doing right, spreading the word about the faith (in the deity the paladin serves), helping others of goodwill, protecting the weak, etc.

Technically there's no requirement the paladin be religious as long as he fulfills all the requirements and champions the cause of the deity he serves. By non-religious I obviously mean they don't actively worship the deity(but do acknowledge them) rather than wearing a fedora. But this is just splitting hairs on a technicality, a paladin without a deity is no paladin, he's some other type of warrior(fighter, cavalier, ...)
AD&D 2E's Complete Paladins Handbook is really good, btw, I do recommend it for anyone that likes paladins as it's very in depth about all the responsibilities and limitations paladins have.

Which has shit to do with drawing spiritual powers from your own soul on account of the intensity of your "faith".

But it shows just how tenous this distinction is between a Paladin and anyone who has "faith" in something when the only difference you can think of is that Paladins are organized in a group while others apparently are not.
What! It is not faith spiritual power anon for all class anon! Is not! What! Pillars nonsense setting is WEEABOO SOUL MAGIC setting anon! It is! All class do WEEABOO SOUL MAGIC anon for all ability anon! It is true anon! It is! Pillars Fighter is caster anon! Pillars Rogue is caster anon! It is SOUL RUBBER NEN Sawyer setting nonsense anon! It is!
sU920XN.gif

Delterius

Arcane
Yeah and in Eora this world is the next. Everyone reincarnates. Everyone gains a little or loses a little with each turn of the wheel. And this specific vailian military order burns with patriotism.

Priests and Paladins do not gain power from a transcendental entity. They also do not call upon a power that only they have. They are shaped into power by mortal and/or godly doctrine. Fanatical belief, a set of principles, and a number of teachings combined with a very specific set of training directives is what differs Priests and Paladins from each other and from everybody else in Eora. I'd envision that the shared experience of brotherhood, soldiery, and zeal is the heart of being a Paladin in this world. As such the answer to the question of 'Why isn't Edér a Paladin if he's one of the faithful?' is A) he's a farmer who joined the army as a regular, not a farmer who went through and succeeded in an order dedicated to Eothas B) and the rest of his entire character of which you know nothing about.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

Priests and Paladins do not gain power from a transcendental entity. They also do not call upon a power that only they have. They are shaped into power by mortal and godly doctrine. Fanatical belief, a set of principles, and a number of teachings combined with a very specific set of training directives is what differs Priests and Paladins from each other and from everybody else in Eora. I'd envision that the shared experience of brotherhood, soldiery, and zeal is the heart of being a Paladin in this world.

None of that shit means anything. It's word salad without the slighest hint of a concrete idea underneath it.

Brotherhood, soldiery and zeal? I suppose Eder never experienced any of that, right? I guess in this world ONLY the Paladins get to share those kind of experiences.

You also have yet to explain why all the abilities of the Paladins are religious in nature. How do the Paladins get to heal others, or revive them? Because of their "brotherhood" and "zeal"? How? Those abilties are magical, how does "zeal", something that ANYONE can experience, lead to the acquisition of those specific abilities exactly? What's the mechanism here?

Or is it just a matter of degree? Don't the Fangs have zeal in their mission to protect those ruins whatever the fuck they are called. Why aren't they Paladins?

Delterius

Arcane

Priests and Paladins do not gain power from a transcendental entity. They also do not call upon a power that only they have. They are shaped into power by mortal and godly doctrine. Fanatical belief, a set of principles, and a number of teachings combined with a very specific set of training directives is what differs Priests and Paladins from each other and from everybody else in Eora. I'd envision that the shared experience of brotherhood, soldiery, and zeal is the heart of being a Paladin in this world.

None of that shit means anything. It's word salad without the slighest hint of a concrete idea underneath it.

Brotherhood, soldiery and zeal? I suppose Eder never experienced any of that, right? I guess in this world ONLY the Paladins get to share those kind of experiences..

You also have yet to explain why all the abilities of the Paladins are religious nature. How do the Paladins get to heal others, or revive them? Because of their "brotherhood" and "zeal"? How? Those abilties are magical, how does "zeal", something that ANYONE can experience, lead to the acquisition of those specific abilities exactly? What's the mechanism here?

Or is it just a matter of degree? Don't the Fangs have zeal in their mission to protect those ruins whatever the fuck they are called. Why aren't they Paladins?
In D&D a priest of Oghma can be granted the power to heal grievous wounds. Do all of Oghma's faithful gain such powers?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom