Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
If it's the "setting" than make up your own archetype. They turned the bard into a "chanter" they could have gone the extra mile with the Paladin too and save themselves the trouble of people constantly asking to roleplay the classical Paladin (check the Obsidian forums it is full of threads of people asking how to build a typical Paladin).
What! I do hate Sawyer anon but you do say make own archetype anon when they did do anon! They did! They did make own archetype anon and I do know anon because you are many complaint anon that Pillars Paladin archetype is not same anon as Dungeons Dragons archetype anon! Pillars did make own archetype anon! What! You do say Chanter is extra mile anon from Bard anon so you did only want Paladin different name anon! If Sawyer did another not necessary change name nonsense anon would you acceptance Pillars Paladin anon! Would you! Do not say they did not make new archetype anon when you entire complaint anon is it too hard to play classic archetype anon! Do not! You did only want change name anon! You did!
I am never sure if I understand you correctly but I think that is Lyric Suite's particular bone to pick with respect to PoE's Paladins. Had they been named differently he might have been content.

Earlier i voiced a similar complaint at rogues being just a variant of figther as opposed to being a pure utility class like in D&D.

If you are going to have those archetypes in your game it is important for me to respect what they are but this is the game where you have muscle bound stupid wizards and shit like that. Clearly, me and Sawyer just don't see each other eye to eye on a lot of things here.

Codex Year of the Donut
- AD&D: weapon proficiencies
A paladin who is using a weapon he's proficient in is at least as good as an equivalent fighter.

Your argument should have been that with equivalent XP, a paladin is a lower level than a fighter. Which makes sense.
Now you're making me question my entire life. I'm fairly sure that in BG and IWD fighters, unlike paladins, can achieve mastery, high mastery, and grand mastery in any weapon. Please don't tell me my entire existence is a lie.
BG and IWD are 2E, not AD&D.
Weapon specialization was added in 2E, and IIRC IE games kinda just smooshed weapon proficiency and weapon specialization together.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
BG and IWD are 2E, not AD&D.
Weapon specialization was added in 2E, and IIRC IE games kinda just smooshed weapon proficiency and weapon specialization together.
Sorry, I've been used my entire life to just call "AD&D" the 2nd edition of AD&D, to the point that sometimes I even forget the first one exists. At least, that's what everyone called it when I started playing.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
BTW, i just started murdering the backer NPCs lmao. Fuck it. It feels like dispensing divine retribution over such a cancer infecting my game and i'm getting some good lewt to boot lul.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Even per lore, warcraft paladins are far more than crappy fighters with healing abilities.
Arthas purging Stratholme was unambiguously one of the best examples of a Lawful Good action in any video game.

Arthas didn't fall because of Arthas.
Arthas fell because Uther abandoned him and failed in his duties as a paladin.

I mean the whole entrapping his own men by destroying his own ships, willingly following path of blind revenge and getting his old friend killed to acquire an artefact for sake of power and using a cursed sword part seems like it would get him out of paladin order by DND rules too.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
it was a muahaha sword made arthas baed but i guess the last 6 pages of autism wouldn't be complete without fan fiction headcanon about a cartoon vidya game story

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
People who disagree never heard about Lacrymas amazing setting
Sir, I disagree precisely because I heard of it.
Come on, you understand what I mean
Actually, now I do. The links you posted were not very enlightening.
Arthas purging Stratholme was unambiguously one of the best examples of a Lawful Good
Remind me, was the plague thing incurable?
Uther abandoned him and failed in his duties as a paladin.
That... That actually makes sense.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
with equivalent XP, a paladin is a lower level than a fighter. Which makes sense.

Yep. This is a thing that I don't understand in 3.X and newer editions, every class require the same experience to level up. 2E also had RACE requirements and attribute requirements to be able to be of certain classes. In fact, 2E should had more racial restrictions, for eg, Elves should't be able to be Barbarians.

Sir, I disagree precisely because I heard of it.

Barbarians who are all woman who had miscarriage with formal academic training and eunuch paladins are the most bizarre things of his setting.

Codex Year of the Donut
Remind me, was the plague thing incurable?
Mal'Ganis was collecting those that were afflicted. Arthas was stopping them from enduring (presumably) some form of eternal damnation by mercy killing them. Uther left them to their fate and fled.
And yes, the action caused Arthas to break. Being a paladin is not easy.

Delterius

Arcane
the single unifying fact about the warcraft universe is that nobody is capable of making good decisions unless they are called illidan, which means they make good decisions for the wrong reasons. the only paladin who didn't fail and turn evil somehow was turalyon and he's about to. be a priest, kids. it's a class of literal whos, which greatly increases your odds of survival.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Warcraft 3 was full of wokeness and faggotry. Humans (humans being stand ins for white people in most fantasy games at this point) are all corrupt and retarded, orcs are noble and misunderstood minorities, night elves are all about wombyn power.

Warcraft 2 was much less gay. Neither the orcs nor the humans took any shit from each other, and you felt like a bad ass playing either.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Warcraft 3 made "orcs are honorable savages" the mainstream trope. For that reason alone, the game can never be forgiven. As far as orc takes go it is easily the worst and most boring one

Delterius

Arcane
morks since they are from mars
what about gorks?
gorks are from geneva. never trust the swiss.
Warcraft 3 made "orcs are honorable savages" the mainstream trope. For that reason alone, the game can never be forgiven. As far as orc takes go it is easily the worst and most boring one
does this mean that world of warcraft is actually a good game? it re-estabilished thrall as the only liberal orc and his people as schizophrenic hypocrites sort of held back by or made worse by whoever is president

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
If you play orcs you'll occationally find clear l1brul shit while questing in the early areas (i'm talking vanilla WoW here, not modern WoW or Classic). There's an female orc in the Barrens that talks about how female and male warriors are equal in the Horde and that anyone who has a problem with that would have to answer to Thrall. There's also a quest along the coast line that reveals Admiral Proudmore from Warcraft 2 was a genocidal racist.

Wokeness has a LONG history in games and the only reason things have gotten so bad now is that nobody said no when this shit started.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
what about gorks?
does this mean that world of warcraft is actually a good game? it re-estabilished thrall as the only liberal orc and his people as schizophrenic hypocrites sort of held back by or made worse by whoever is president

i don't play wow but by chance i watched some video with that saurfang guy and he seemed just as boring honorable as all the others. plus its wc canon that orcs are really happy go lucky types and only get baed when they partake of demon semen

but i mean who really gives a fuck, warcraft universe went from basic bitch to boring shit. not exactly the farthest fall in history. the bigger problem is the spillover-effect to the rest of the medium.

Delterius

Arcane
what about gorks?

i don't play wow but by chance i watched some video with that saurfang guy and he seemed just as boring honorable as all the others. plus its wc canon that orcs are really happy go lucky types and only get baed when they partake of demon semen

but i mean who really gives a fuck, warcraft universe went from basic bitch to boring shit. not exactly the farthest fall in history. the bigger problem is the spillover-effect to the rest of the medium.
actually someone had the bright idea to systematize everything in warcraft into 8(?) cosmic forces cynically locked into a dominions 4 match so it went from boring to a torture cage of nihilism pretty fast. nothing is your friend. all things wish to brainwash you into seventh dimension trench warfare.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm going to keep tabs on how many of my recommendations LS ignores and then comes to complain about later.

The magical formula to enjoy PoE - skip ALL descriptive text in dialogue, skim through the dialogues just so you can get the gist of what is being said (nobody is saying anything important you can't check in the journal), don't click on golden NPCs, don't click on the tombstone symbols, take only the companion (singular) you like (if any), treat it as one massive dungeon crawl you play for the combat, you can safely skip the stronghold stuff (some adventures give good loot though, but that's a fire and forget thing), turn on disposition markings in dialogue, don't pay too much attention to the setting. Some optional things - put auto-pause on enemy sighting, put slow mode to activate automatically when entering combat, check the box to stop your characters from moving when you engage combat, auto-pause on discovering hidden things with mechanics.

For now, it's "don't click on the gold NPCs" and "don't pay too much attention to the setting". I'm going to add "don't obsess too much over character creation" to this list. I'm tempted to say he also ignored my recommendation to turn on disposition markings in dialogue and then complained about how they don't make sense. The setting is written in such a way that no matter what kind of person you are, except the kind where you passively consume media and accept everything wholesale, you are going to find major fault in the setting somewhere.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom