Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

pomenitul

Arbiter
pearls-before-swine-old-quotation-600w-702927997.jpg

TedNugent

Arcane
I don't understand the paladin thing. Supposedly they were Charlemagne's bodyguards, and D&D basically took the name and invented the class whole cloth?

This is a new IP, I don't see why it needs to adhere to D&D lore when the name didn't make any sense in the first place, they just probably thought it sounded cool.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I don't understand the paladin thing. Supposedly they were Charlemagne's bodyguards, and D&D basically took the name and invented the class whole cloth?

This is a new IP, I don't see why it needs to adhere to D&D lore when the name didn't make any sense in the first place, they just probably thought it sounded cool.

Paladins from D&D come from this brah:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Hearts_and_Three_Lions

The Song of Roland basically determined the conception of the medieval knight for subsequent generations up until today and blurring the Paladins of Charlemagne with the Crusaders is not such a wierd thing to do, since there's actually a continuation between them (Charlemagne, in case anybody forgot, was a Christian King and his Paladins inspired the ethos of all later knights).

TedNugent

Arcane
Let's just be honest with ourselves and say everything was and is gay.

Speaking of not gay Paladins:

209-1608558031-359774358.png
This is a good reminder of why fantasy armor is retarded, ugly as sin and ridiculous. Absolutely nothing beats Gothic/Renaissance full plate. Functional and aesthetically beautiful.

Everything below the elbows looks kind of weird on this set, though.

Out of proportion, and those greaves look weird.

Last edited:

pomenitul

Arbiter
Really, though, the PoEs' overall art style is one of their greatest assets, which matters if you're an atmospherefag (and I undoubtedly am). The comparatively more infantile KM, WotR and – God forbid – D:OS's are sadly lacking in this department. More contemporary CRPGs need to embrace a painterly aesthetic. If I'm going to be staring at a screen for hours, I want the visuals to be evocative.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
3D visuals are more expensive to pull off, so there's always the temptation to go more ...stylized like the Pathfinders and D:OSes. Spellforce 3 is the only 3D "isometric" game I've seen that manages evocative and gorgeous maps.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Is it any good, gameplay-wise? I've been meaning to check it out for a while now.
That is a very complicated question. Let's say that it's good enough for a playthrough, but not good enough to become an E-sport like the devs wanted. I actually wrote a short review of it (and all other Spellforces) for felipepepe's RPG book.

TedNugent

Arcane
There's a lot to be said for immersion, and I think the effective representation of period weapons and armor always helps. They are functional, and fit properly.

Surprisingly, I also think they did a good job when it comes to the Engwithan architecture and making it actually seem like it's a real device. I'll get back to it later, but that's one reason I quite enjoyed Heritage Hill.

For me, prerendered graphics have a few advantages, one is they are hardware agnostic, they are timeless and scale excellently with display resolution, which really makes older games like Baldurs Gate, Planescape etc still look beautiful whereas 3D games look like dogshit. Then, they have the ability to give the artists free reign to create an accurate rendition from the sketches without having an outrageous budget. It also allows them to dedicate more computing resources to animating and rendering those things that are not pre-rendered.

I will say, both this game and Numenera are running much better and looking much better than expected on my dated Microshit Surface that I'm stuck with at the moment.

By contrast, Neverwinter Nights looks absolutely hideous. I feel rather grateful that these Infinity Engine games have held up so well visually despite the age.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom