Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

pomenitul

Arbiter
Thanks for bringing up the great Ensemble Organum. I assume you're also fully on board with the credo behind their latest recording:

For the first time will be revealed the common breath which passes through Islamic song and the Christian song of the origins.

Men come together to keep watch and sing in Greek, Latin, Arabic …Dogmas, historical events, theology – the ingredients of individual identities which separate them from the other are here forgotten. Only the act of singing persists…

https://organumcirma.com/en_GB/nouvelenregistrement-2020/

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Thanks for bringing up the great Ensemble Organum. I assume you're also fully on board with the credo behind their latest recording:

For the first time will be revealed the common breath which passes through Islamic song and the Christian song of the origins.

Men come together to keep watch and sing in Greek, Latin, Arabic …Dogmas, historical events, theology – the ingredients of individual identities which separate them from the other are here forgotten. Only the act of singing persists…

https://organumcirma.com/en_GB/nouvelenregistrement-2020/

No, i'm not on board with their credo, which i consider to be satanic but mostly coming from a place of ignorance.

Not sure what that has to do with their musical prowess.

Delterius

Arcane
Protecting roads and travelers? You mean like pilgrims?

The object was not to help pilgrims because they were travelers, but because they were on their way to the sacred land (a symbol of a different kind of ascend, as was Jerusalem itself).

The mission of the Templars religious, not merely altruistic.

You called them glorified tour guides but what they are is knight errants who patrol the roads. Be it a merchant being attacked by bandits or pilgrims assailed on the road, they'll see to their protection. Their creed is literally to protect the weak and punish the wicked. They are the very archetype of the classic adventurer Paladin. Furthermore, their exploration angle means they participate in the dogmas of the Church of Wael by default.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

The object was not to help pilgrims because they were travelers, but because they were on their way to the sacred land (a symbol of a different kind of ascend, as was Jerusalem itself).

You called them glorified tour guides but what they are is knight errants who patrol the roads. Be it a merchant being attacked by bandits or pilgrims assailed on the road, they'll see to their protection. Their creed is literally to protect the weak and punish the wicked. Furthermore, their exploration angle means they participate in the dogmas of the Church of Wael.

Was Robin Hood a Paladin? Would he have magic powers in this world?

Codex Year of the Donut
Yeah it's really hard to make a classic paladin in PoE.

1. Make a Kind Wayfarer.
2. Equip plate armour and either a great sword or sword / mace and shield.
3. Done.

Imagine immolating yourself because of your passion for cartography.
Travelling the world and protecting the weak*

literally fucking templar duty

1. Make a Kind Wayfarer.
3. Done.
In what way is that a paladin beyond vaguely looking like one if you squint hard enough?
1. Follows a strict set of principles, much like a classic paladin.
2. Is trained to fight in plate armor and arms similar to those of a classic paladin.
3. May or may not be tied to one of the Gods' temples or a Lord, just like a classic paladin.
4. Wields magical powers like those of a classic paladin.
do you need glasses
No chivalry, no fealty, no valor, no real punishments for violating his virtues/oaths/... And no, Faith and Conviction doesn't count, it's a minor slap on the wrist.
and again
templars are not paladins
Just so we're clear, wearing heavy armor and worshiping a god does not make you a paladin anymore than being an honorable fighter makes you a paladin.

A paladin would handle the situation by finding the threat posed to the travelers and ending it, not being their tour guide.

Ninjerk

Arcane

You called them glorified tour guides but what they are is knight errants who patrol the roads. Be it a merchant being attacked by bandits or pilgrims assailed on the road, they'll see to their protection. Their creed is literally to protect the weak and punish the wicked. Furthermore, their exploration angle means they participate in the dogmas of the Church of Wael.

Was Robin Hood a Paladin? Would he have magic powers in this world?
This guy would:
1280px-RIAN_archive_543_A_battalion_commander.jpg

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

You called them glorified tour guides but what they are is knight errants who patrol the roads. Be it a merchant being attacked by bandits or pilgrims assailed on the road, they'll see to their protection. Their creed is literally to protect the weak and punish the wicked. They are the very archetype of the classic adventurer Paladin. Furthermore, their exploration angle means they participate in the dogmas of the Church of Wael by default.

You forgot they also aid and abet murderers.

Codex Year of the Donut
That's what Kind Wayfarers do.
No, they work directly with the people they should be killing.
So I guess they are Paladins after all.
Again, a paladin is not about expressing some paladin-like behaviors.
The most "paladin-like" paladin in pillows doesn't even get close to being a paladin. At least you get 10 different flavors of shit to pick from, too bad none of them are good.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
A paladin would handle the situation by finding the threat posed to the travelers and ending it, not being their tour guide.
A paladin would do whatever the fuck it is that paladins do in the world the game is set in. They called them "paladins" because that's the name that the "fighter with divine powers" class has in the collective imaginary nowadays (at least for people who are able to conceive an imaginary world where things don't follow to the letter the Christian doctrine or AD&D). I don't understand how this can cause so much distress to a human being.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

1. Make a Kind Wayfarer.
3. Done.

I tried that, but character screen was really scary, so I tabbed out to Codex to post my thoughts about what it means to be a fearless warrior.

Codex Year of the Donut
A paladin would do whatever the fuck it is that paladins do in the world the game is set in. They called them "paladins" because that's the name that the "fighter with divine powers" class has in the collective imaginary nowadays (at least for people who are able to conceive an imaginary world where things don't follow to the letter the Christian doctrine or AD&D). I don't understand how this can cause so much distress to a human being.
"We ruined it, why are you upset?"

Faarbaute

Arbiter
In the real world, we have outgrown Jung and Campbell, buddy. Quite a while ago actually. Maybe get with the times, gramps.

This really illustrates what the point of contention here is.

I could not in good faith have written this myself, even as a parody of your opinion, without feeling as though I was constructing a strawman out of your position. Bravo.

Codex Year of the Donut
going to be funny when they release the next pillows game and it turns out
all the souls were being created by a god all along

Last edited:

Delterius

Arcane
going to be funny when they release the next pillows game and it turns out all the souls were being created by a god all along
I think it would add to the original themes actually.
The Engwithans peered behind the veil assuming that their religious dogma, or some version of it, would be confirmed. Except that as far as they could see the 'throne of god' was empty and the beyond was falling apart. As such they fell into a pit of despair and decided to use their unrivaled mastery of magic to impose their gods upon reality. Those same gods, built out of the souls of the Engwithans, then decided to hjack or squash every other mythology existent on the world. All except seemingly one, that of the desert monotheists to the east. We don't know how or why but their creed survived. If Avowed so much hinted that the Engwithan Gods couldn't touch them for some reason, it would be the final nail on the world that the Engwithans created. Either because there is indeed a One True God and the Engwithans simply couldn't know that, or simply because the Engwithans couped a natural order akin to 40k's divinites.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
"We ruined it, why are you upset?"
Ruined what?

Did I miss the memo where the Supreme Fantasy Council adopted PoE as canon for all fantasy worlds from here on out? If it means we're getting more xaurips, I'm all for it.

Don't forget the fampyrs and delempŵgra which are completely original and not just filing off the serial numbers from other ideas.

I occasionally wonder if Sawyer consults for the PRC in assisting with IP knock offs.

Sharpedge

Prophet
As fascinating as all this discussion is about whether or not the Paladins in Pillars actually qualify as Paladins is, the real question should be whether or not the Wizards count as Wizards. This sounds like a question only Meredoth can answer.

Sunri

Liturgist
You are asking why combat is the worst part of PoE? It's simple friends every encounter plays the same I used the same strategy and skills for everything with 3 exception in the entire game + DLC that still 2 more memorable encounters than solasta had that's something I guess for me best parts of PoE I were companions and main story a liked the twist and what those retard did in sequel? Ported the worst companions from first part added a bunch of forgettable shitters and worst setting I ever saw nigerian caribbean isles with shitty accets that makes your ears bleed I can't believe that Deadfire was made by the same people what those morons were thinking?

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Isn't PoE2 just about muh colonialism ad infinitum?
Expect to see a lot less white people in PoE2. Prepare yourself for blacks and furries.

Or just don't play it at all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom