Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Possible Valve's next game: Deadlock (rumors gaining traction)

ds

Cipher
Patron
I'm glad they'll never make HL3.

After the cliffhanger in Alyx, you can bet your ass they're working on a follow-up.... however it will be named.

Well duh. Just like they were working on EP3. Valve is always working on things. They just can't be arsed to finish anything these days unless they see high microtransaction potential or the game is an ad for something else they want to push (e.g. VR).

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

why do you think half-life 3 mysteriously never comes out?

Why didn't they though?

To be honest it IS wierd given the hype this series used to have. It's the strangest decision ever made by any company i can think of.
Perhaps some key people left and Gaben & friends were uncertain they can pull another Half-Life with new people. Because they could make an average shooter with some gimmick (like HL2 was) and it would be a bestseller. On the other hand, maybe their plan was to make Alyx, make Oculus popular, and then make HL3, but the plan failed.

One more explanation i can think of is simplier and therefore more probable - money.

Valve makes shitload of money on zero-effort work such as skins to CS2, their MOBAs and other shooters. HL3 would be a bestseller, but it's a singleplayer game, you won't sell many skins there. It's better to focus all the work on multiplayer games with skins everywhere and on everything, this generates enormous amounts of money.

CS2 is free, or you can purchase a 'premium' (aka, you play with other premium players only) for only a few dollars on a sale. Similar with DOTA2. And yet they are always on the 'bestseller' list on Steam because of all the microtransactions. It makes more money than Cyberpunk, BG3 or Ghost of Tsushima, best selling but only singleplayer games that don't sell skins.

Gamers are literally retarded.

Maybe. Guess one cannot argue with the money (and it's sad they make so much out of fleecing people for stupid shit like skins), but one would think there might be some long term gain in releasing a major real game every now and then. Keep the prestige of the brand going and all that.

More puzzling still is that they didn't even finish Half Life 2. They just left that series hang without releasing Episode 3 it's just so bizzare.

Last edited:

PlayerEmers

Educated
One guy is leaking some more stuff about the game on 4chan and from the looks of it the comics/VN aspect of the game is big. Multiple endings/choices that change stories from other characters (each character has their own story).
Its like an entire VN game.

And about art style, something worth of taking note: the main menu uses parts of one of the ingame maps. There might be a chance that the main menu aesthetic is the final aesthetic that they want for the entire game.
Just take a look:

image.png

It goes from Overwatch to something actually legit.

PlayerEmers

Educated

So it's Overwatch with Story Mode?
no no no
The art style talk on my post has nothing to do with the VN stuff. I probably misled you with my shitty writting skills and shitty english.

All I wanted to say is that the aesthetics found on the main menu background is something they might want to implement on the entire game for the final game build. The game would feel less like Overwatch graphically speaking.

Hobknobling

Learned

Soulja Blow and the Leader of the Uncle Bob Defamation League had a pretty good bit about what is "wrong" about the modern Valve design principles in the Braid podcast. I think Valve has strongly drifted into this very iterative crowd-source process after Portal 2 (save for HL: Alyx which didn't have a crowd to crowd-source from) and I don't particularly care for it.

The most interesting part is around 35:08 if the timestamp doesn't work.

ind33d

Learned

So it's Overwatch with Story Mode?
no no no
The art style talk on my post has nothing to do with the VN stuff. I probably misled you with my shitty writting skills and shitty english.

All I wanted to say is that the aesthetics found on the main menu background is something they might want to implement on the entire game for the final game build. The game would feel less like Overwatch graphically speaking.
so they went from bad ending Half-Life 2 to Dishonored but a cartoon? who makes these decisions?

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I would expect the typical comic bookish art style Valve uses in both Dota and TF. Fingers crossed they don't end up abandoning this one like they did with Artifact.

Black

Arcane
Impressive that they'd rather make a "new" moba shooter garbodor that looks like it was made by sweetest of babies instead of fixing already iconic and established TF2.
But then again, valve has always been a shitty company despite what zoomoids say.

Rövtomte

Literate
Look on the bright side folks. The steam forums will be on fucking fire whenever this game releases. (Valve will cancel it at last minute like the previous 80 titles) :-D

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't get the setting. What is it? 40s gangsters, ghosts, robots, WW1 soldiers, aliens, batman villains in a city environment??? Are Valve employees just throwing anything at the wall, or something?

The leak said it’s steampunk and fantasy. So it’s a similar type of setting as Arcanum...wouldn’t be totally surprised if they weren’t looking at The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and an assortment of Mike Mignola and Capcom stuff. One of the characters seems like it might be a play on Zeiram.

It seems like the setting is some type of 20s or 30s type setting with the steampunk and fantasy stuff on top of it.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
It's fucking garbage, but anything else would have been nigh on impossible in Currentyear.

Saldrone

Educated
valve has always been a shitty company despite what zoomoids say.
Technically. They helped to popularize various gaming practiques that are considered cancerous today such as restrictive DRM when Steam first arrived and turining multiplayer games into gambling slot machines (a.k.a. loot boxes) starting with TF2

Black

Arcane
For all TF2's faults (especially modern TF2's) Valve will never make anything half as good again.

Latro

Arcane
Movement feels great. Really strong base for the gameplay. People whining about TF2 is funny, there’s much more skill expression/ceiling here especially with all the movement options.

hajro

Arbiter
Its gunz+dota. Thats how icefrog pitched it. 2003 is back baby

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom