Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Random JRPG News Thread

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Monochrome Mobius: Rights and Wrongs Forgotten, a new Utawarerumono RPG from Aquaplus, will be released on PC day one, with English support, thanks to DMM GAMES and Shiravune.

ss_2cafd2d429d572a9abe1627a24d12809cb6f3775.600x338.jpg
ss_4b795f87b74b39bf6fe2d37c991828801b9310b3.600x338.jpg

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
Monochrome Mobius: Rights and Wrongs Forgotten, a new Utawarerumono RPG from Aquaplus, will be released on PC day one, with English support, thanks to DMM GAMES and Shiravune.

ss_2cafd2d429d572a9abe1627a24d12809cb6f3775.600x338.jpg
ss_4b795f87b74b39bf6fe2d37c991828801b9310b3.600x338.jpg

looks promising and pretty. Very little degeneracy on display in the trailer. The writing is probably nothing special, but I hope I'll be proven wrong.

I have mixed thoughts on it.

The writers struck gold with Haku's predicament in the 3rd game, only to squander it so utterly on stereotypical anime power-of-friendship shenagains. The last 10 hours of MoT really killed my goodwill towards the series. I'm also not a fan of the overabundance of insert songs. They sound so generic and samey, and are use at inappropriate moments. The SRPG gameplay wasn't horrible but wasn't good either. This looks like it will be okay.

The 3D visuals are... surprisingly bad. The faces look bizzare and don't match their 2D art. Weird proportions. Janky animations. You also had abstract anime characters... with photorealistic lighting being cast upon them, contrasted against detailed backgrounds. It just doesn't look right. I'm not sure why they were done in the style of the ZAN games, which looked really good. Seriously, look at the character models and animation in the ZAN 2 trailer:

Last edited:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
A fairly unique RPG from Japan, seems to be indie. Essentially you can consider it a solo RPG. Unlike most JRPG tho there are different builds (4 basic skills with 4 advanced skills based on combination of previous 4). Your attributes work both in combat and outside. There is dice roll based skill checks and there is also flat pass or no-pass skill checks as well. Resource is limited and the game work in some sort of roguelite format (everytime you rest you get 5 retry of which after you run out you have to be back to checkpoint where you saved). Combat is like JRPG except there is QTE but instead of for attacking (Shadow Hearts, Legend of Dragon) it is for evading (like Ar Tonelico 2).

Game is EA so is not finished, I've played through the first 2 chapters of the game. The 2nd chapter I think is entirely different based on your choices on Chapter 1. Did it on Hard for Chapter 1 but switched to Nomal mid Chapter 2 as enemy is way overtuned.

Wholly recommended, I had load of fun.

Arthandas

Liturgist
Says it's a remaster in the video title.
If it said it's running with ray tracing under unreal engine 5 you would believe that too?
It's just a re-release with unlocked resolution, the assets are the same.
I played it last year under pcsx2 and it looked almost identical.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
If it said it's running with ray tracing under unreal engine 5 you would believe that too?
Not really sure what you are trying to accomplish with your passive aggressive bitching but what you described is pretty much a remaster. A remake is exactly what the word implies: a game remade from the ground up. This is obviously not that.

Arthandas

Liturgist
Not really sure what you are trying to accomplish with your passive aggressive bitching but what you described is pretty much a remaster. A remake is exactly what the word implies: a game remade from the ground up. This is obviously not that.
A remaster is when they enhance the assets, post-processing and add in modern features, remake is - like you said - made from ground up. This is neither. Do you honestly need help understanding it?
Recent re-release of Chrono Cross also has "remaster" in description but in many ways is worse than the psx original. Just because the publisher slapped the "remaster" tag doesn't mean it actually is one (and especially not when Square's involved).

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom