Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
New list fixes the PS:T>Fallout travesty but New Vegas trannies still managed to get it top 10 over Gothic 2 just fucking lol

VtMB also extremely overrated here but I can see the merits. Santa Monica is the peak and it goes downhill from there gameplay wise.

behold_a_man

Educated
Man complains about bad gunplay while bitching about how skills are not important.
The game didn't become more fluid the better your skill was, it was just bigger accuracy and damage. The jank might be considered a positive thing (here as compared to the Human Revolution):
There's no precision or risk involved, you just walk up to a guy and press a button. I really preferred the "baton in the ass" approach of Deus Ex since it was possible to fuck things up there, and that was fun.
But it's understandable for me that some don't like it. Apart from that, the game becoming more responsive to player actions (or less 'janky') with new skills could invalidate the tactics working with low in-game proficiency levels, so improving the skill probably shouldn't make the gameplay more smooth (so, whether the gunplay is good or bad, it shouldn't depend on skills at all, I think).

Ryan muller

Educated
but it's been a very long time since I played it. Rating comes almost entirely from the setting, the actual act of playing the game sucks. I think if I played it again right now I'd probably rate it lower.
Seems accurate

Ryan muller

Educated
There's too much "rule of cool" in this one and kind of waters down the setting. For some reason, they wanted to retcon the Supermutants being sterile
I never understood why they went back in this decision. One of the things you argue against the master during fo1, is that the first batch of mutants werent sterile, but the ones from now are, saying that "maybe the FEV didnt used to make them sterile, but now it does"

If the effects were limited, this would make the master even more nuanced as a villain in hindsight, it would explain why the mutants keep showing up in the series, instead of bethesda going all "whoops theres more FEV all over the place"

Bloodlines is all about the world as well. The character system wasn't bad, and it also has multiple ways of doing things. The dialog was fantastic, particularly the clan specific stuff. The combat starts off fairly mediocre but gets more interesting as you gain levels and abilities. Although, I did manage to get stuck a few times using Celerity. I will say that the Haunted House was great your first time through, but it's a one trick pony. Also, the game kind of goes downhill in Chinatown. 7/10.
The bugs revolving power usage were the worst lmao

flyingjohn

Arcane
Deus ex - 5/10:
but skills arent that important, it tries to be a fps/rpg but the gunplay is bad
Man complains about bad gunplay while bitching about how skills are not important.
Gunplay is bad with or without SP
Sure Bro, a sniper/pistol is the same at untrained and master according to you. At master every weapons feels like a normal fps weapon for that era.

Dr1f7

Scholar
PS:T, FO1/2, BG2, VTMB - 10/10: classics

Arcanum - 7/10: some interesting ideas but very boring overall and bland art direction, couldn't tie it together... good music though. could be 10/10 if the devs made it good

FO NV - 5/10: Oblivion engine ruined a game that should have been at least 9/10, obsidian should have turned sh1tthesda down

Deus Ex/Gothic 2 - didn't play

MW - 3/10 vanilla or 7/10 heavily modded but you shouldn't need to zombify-mod a game to make it good so 0/10 f*ck tod

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
One of the things you argue against the master during fo1, is that the first batch of mutants werent sterile, but the ones from now are, saying that "maybe the FEV didnt used to make them sterile, but now it does"
Unfortunately, they were another route with Supermutants and ghouls being practically immortal. Of course, like you said, Bethesda decided that rather than FEV being in Mariposa, it's all over the place. Everyone had FEV. It was almost as common as fusion power, apparently.

Ryzer

Arcane
Deus ex - 5/10: It tries a bunch of things, it doesnt excel in any of them, particularly, it has a skill system, but skills arent that important, it tries to be a fps/rpg but the gunplay is bad. it tries to be a conspiracy story, but instead of making me interested in the setting and its misteries by slowly revealing everything piece by piece as Age of decadence does, it throws its concept at your face in the very first scene, it tries to be a stealth-like game but the stealth mechanics are awful,etc... its not particularly good, i like its two reboots better
:hmmm::nocountryforshitposters::what::shitposting::dead:
He isn't wrong that Deus Ex excels in nothing, it's an overrated pretentious game with nothing that stands out.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
It's not pretentious at all lmao. Did you even get as far as Hong Kong? Deus Ex is funnier than purported comedy games like Outhouse Worlds. JC's deadpan reaction to everything let's you know the game isn't talking down to you.

As for not having anything that stands out, how about the way it makes every gameplay decision feel meaningful? The way exploration and resource management and your build all inform each other and how easy or difficult any given challenge can be. There's no other game that can match it in that area.

Falksi

Arcane
PS:T - 8.5/10. Agree with the complaints about the combat and pacing, but everything else is quality. Few games have had me come away from a game questioning life itself, this did. :5/5::3.5/5:

Fallout - Still not played it. :eek:

BG2 - 10/10 Recently replayed it and it's still fucking amazing. Few games capture the sense of adventure in an epic world like BG2, and it hits a real sweet spot with me. I'm not even a RtwP fan, but I even enjoy the combat here. Only complaint for me is that you get tied into the Underdark for too long, but regardless it's still a masterpiece. :5/5::5/5:

Arcanum - 6/10 A good game fighting to get out behind it's jank and wanky combat. :5/5::1/5:

VTMB - Been too long since I played it to rate it. Plan to revisit it soon though, used to love it.

Fallout 2 - 6/10 Lemming42 sums it up greatly "About 30% of is really good, another 30% is decent, another 40% is bad." There is just something about it that doesn't click with me. :5/5::1/5:

Fallout NV - 7.5/10 Good game which suffers from being a bit too heavily weighted in favour of the "good" guys, and being a bit boxy. :5/5::2.5/5:

Deus Ex - 9/10 Awesome game, 10/10 in it's day, gameplay has definitely aged and makes playing it a bit creaky now, but all it's positives still make for a great play. The fact the story is more relevant now than when it was made is just mint. :5/5::4/5:

Gothic 2 - 7.5/10 Good game, lots to enjoy, but some of the dialogue and combat really feels dated now, and it doesn't have the story strength of PS:T or DE to carry it as far :5/5::2.5/5:

Morrowind - 8/10. Very flawed, from it's combat, to it's levelling system, to it's vapid NPCs etc....but exploring that world is just so good. Flying around like a God is just mega too. :5/5::3/5:

Last edited:

behold_a_man

Educated
As for not having anything that stands out, how about the way it makes every gameplay decision feel meaningful? The way exploration and resource management and your build all inform each other and how easy or difficult any given challenge can be. There's no other game that can match it in that area.
I preferred Dragonfall's gameplay decisions - In Deus Ex, I never really had to decide whether an optional fight midway through a mission was worth the risks. I'd expect it to be easier to create meaningful resource management if you create a game with sequential missions rather than a more or less open world; and there are not that many RPGs like it, especially first-person ones. In fact, I expected Deus Ex to do better in that department - with early investment in the multitool skill, I rarely had any problems with the lack of resources except for lockpicks.

Ryzer

Arcane
It's not pretentious at all lmao. Did you even get as far as Hong Kong? Deus Ex is funnier than purported comedy games like Outhouse Worlds. JC's deadpan reaction to everything let's you know the game isn't talking down to you.

The gameplay is awful and the AI is dumb as a brick and just run around endlessly without taking cover or anything. How does that qualify as a good FPS even? Let alone as a RPG.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Chrono Trigger is an absolute disgrace of a game.
can you explain how a game made by Hironobu Sakaguchi (creator of Final Fantasy), Yuji Horii (Creator of Dragon Quest) and Akira Toriyama (creator of Dragon Ball) is an "absolute disgrace of a game"? Keep in mind it was a JRPG on the SNES so let's judge it accordingly.

I am awaiting your response!

faggot

Ryan muller

Educated
One of the things you argue against the master during fo1, is that the first batch of mutants werent sterile, but the ones from now are, saying that "maybe the FEV didnt used to make them sterile, but now it does"
Unfortunately, they were another route with Supermutants and ghouls being practically immortal. Of course, like you said, Bethesda decided that rather than FEV being in Mariposa, it's all over the place. Everyone had FEV. It was almost as common as fusion power, apparently.
I hated this

Would rather have Fo2's solution or just outright make them go away

Mutants should really only be a bigger threat in Fo1

Ryan muller

Educated
Deus ex - 5/10:
but skills arent that important, it tries to be a fps/rpg but the gunplay is bad
Gunplay is bad with or without SP
Sure Bro, a sniper/pistol is the same at untrained and master according to you. At master every weapons feels like a normal fps weapon for that era.
Which fps? Doom is a lot older and has better gunplay not to mention quake or HL from that era

Turok,etc...

Deus ex doesnt feel adequate at all

Ryan muller

Educated
about the way it makes every gameplay decision feel meaningful? The way exploration and resource management and your build all inform each other and how easy or difficult any given challenge can be.
Ss2 has those too, considerably stronger at that either

kangaxx

Arbiter
Chrono Trigger is an absolute disgrace of a game.
can you explain how a game made by Hironobu Sakaguchi (creator of Final Fantasy), Yuji Horii (Creator of Dragon Quest) and Akira Toriyama (creator of Dragon Ball) is an "absolute disgrace of a game"? Keep in mind it was a JRPG on the SNES so let's judge it accordingly.

I am awaiting your response!

faggot
I too like to call people "faggots" while openly liking JRPGs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom