Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Red Dead Redemption 2 - now available on PC

Wunderbar

Arcane
I can't stand Rockstar's game design and their linear missions, but this sounds like too much of a hassle to even bother trying. Reminded me of "full synchronization" in Assassin's creed games, where you must complete an objective in a precisely one way to unlock some secret memories.

Why are you even creating an open world game if your missions are so linear and restrictive? These conditions are here only to frustrate players and pad the gameplay.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I can't stand Rockstar's game design and their linear missions, but this sounds like too much of a hassle to even bother trying. Reminded me of "full synchronization" in Assassin's creed games, where you must complete an objective in a precisely one way to unlock some secret memories.

Why are you even creating an open world game if your missions are so linear and restrictive? These conditions are here only to frustrate players and pad the gameplay.

Well those conditions are optional, just like in AssCreed. I actually liked them in the old AssCreed a lot, this additional layer of challenge in those piss-easy games was the only reason I played them. But at least you didn't have to restart missions from the beginning if you made a milisecond-grade mistake, including lengthy unskippable cutscenes. Fucking developers taking their playerbase for granted.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Problem is without them there is no challenge. Without them RDR2 is no longer a game, it's just a cinematic experience, just like Witcher 3 on normal difficulty.

I get the whole "challenge being overcome is what makes it a game" mindset, I do. I play most games in my favorite genres on hard or whatever, as long as I enjoy their gameplay. However when it's that aggravating, I would absolutely stop caring. Nothing is worth repeating those endless, slow as fuck "immersive" sections over and over.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Problem is without them there is no challenge. Without them RDR2 is no longer a game, it's just a cinematic experience, just like Witcher 3 on normal difficulty.

I get the whole "challenge being overcome is what makes it a game" mindset, I do. I play most games in my favorite genres on hard or whatever, as long as I enjoy their gameplay. However when it's that aggravating, I would absolutely stop caring. Nothing is worth repeating those endless, slow as fuck "immersive" sections over and over.
Sure, and I did stop caring. Well I stopped trying at any rate. And I still enjoy the game a lot. Nothing wrong with an interactive movie if it's as good as Witcher 3 or RDR2.

Vatnik Wumao
Don't play games that create challenge via stupid or artificial ways. It's lazy game design.

R* is just another giant of the PS2 era that has lost its stride.
Not to mention that their post-release treatment of GTA V has clearly shown that they don't even consider SP as being the primary component of their games anymore.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Playing this I keep thinking about MGS V. There the gameplay utterly blew me away. Just out of this world. But the story part is so breathtakingly retarded I thought it was written by a 13 year old autistic child.

RDR2 is the polar opposite of that.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
you get penalized for shooting the horse of a player that is attacking you? fuck your horse, retard, and fuck this multiplayer. :deadhorse:

Starwars

Arcane
Playing this now. It's impressive in some ways for sure but fuck me, it feels so sluggish. I mean, I guess I'm fine with a slower paced game and all but I don't think I will ever get used to "hold button to interact" prompts on PC. I've struggled through many a bad PC port in my life but there is just something about the hold prompts that I can't deal with.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
PI don't think I will ever get used to "hold button to interact" prompts on PC

Not too bothered by that personally. Now I love the the overall push for realism but sometimes it IS too much. By far my biggest annoyances are the horse controls, which are some of the most retarded I've seen in any game, and the forced slow walking in some places. Also if you accidentally bump into someone it can initiate a shoot out with the entire town. Also the various skinning animations often ruin immersion instead of enhancing it. Realism is good but there has to be balance, always.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Phew, finished. About 105 hours. My rating of this game slowly went from "OMG blown away, 10/10", to the final 7/10.

First the good:

- Muh visuals. Never seen anything like that. With my powerful rig, on ultra, the visuals kept blowing me away until the fucking end. Fishing in the sunset, waking up in the low mist, hunting eagles on the snowy peaks, shootouts with los banditos in the desert and many, many more. The volumetric ligting and particle effects are out of this world. The forests are not as next-level as in Kingdom Come but overall this is the best looking game to date, at least on a stronk PC.
- Writing. Much like Witcher 3 the overal plot is nothing to write home about but the moment-to-moment writing, especially dialogues, is top notch.
- Vibe. I fapped 10x a day over the realistic-but-not-grimdark vibe. It's as if you can touch the leather of you jacket, smell the horses, feel the warmth of your campfire. Incredible. Whatever they did with the lighting the various materials and textures and the way light bounces off them feel incredibly tactile. The production values are off the charts, walking in a cabin or a lodge is like being there for real. This game must've cost several gazillion dorra and you can feel every penny.
- VA. Best VA ever made for a videogame, dethroning Witcher 3. Roger Clark as Arthur must be about the single best acting performance in a videogame ever. The actors for Dutch and John also top notch. The rest of the cast never dips below "p. good".

The bad and ugly:

- Who else was fucking ready to uninstall after the first 3 chapters? The mission design is shockingly bad. Stunningly terrible. Walk up to a mission giver, watch cutscene, mount your horse, press V for cinematic camera, watch automatic ride for 5 minutes while NPCs banter/give exposition, arrive at the destination, investigate/loot and flee in a massive shootout where you slaughter dozens of enemies. Rinse and repeat about 50 times. Absolutely shocking. Two thousand people worked on this game for 8 years. Nobody ever said "uuh, maybe change things up a little now and then?". Jesus fuck. I was so sick of this stupid, boring repetition that when the epilogue started I straight up delighted in all those dumb, menial activities as John. Even shovelling shit was a breath of fresh air compared to the standard Rockstar formula.
- The forced slow walking. Sweet lord the constant slow walking was driving me up the ceiling. That's what happens when you decide collision have to be "realistic", so that even a slight bump into somebody can injure them or push them down the cliff or something. So you can't allow this for essential NPCs so you have to surround them with "safety bubble" of forced slow walking. The collisions are immensely retarded btw, dramatic sommersaults after your horse catches a tiny branch sticking from the ground, massive shootouts with entire towns because you bumped into someone in the streets, murder bounties because other riders on country roads love to head-crash into you, jesus.
- No difficulty options. Without them game must cater to all, therefore it inevitably caters to casuals, as usual. Therefore 95% of the various upgrades and improvements are completely pointless. You don't really need to eat or clean your weapons or upgrade your belts or your camp or craft anything or make money for that matter. Because why the fuck would you need money when you don't need to buy anything. All that because the casuals would squeal they can't just breeze through the story and they have to "grind" (i.e. doing the actually fun stuff like robbing trains, kidnap stagecoaches and hunt for treasures). And just in case, even if you don't need a single penny, you're given thousands of dollars during the main quest, so that you don't have to "grind". This game would be 10x better with some sort of Simulation Mode where all the features and tools you have available actually mattered. As it is though they're just window dressing.
- People shit on the gunplay, dunno. I don't play shooters much so I don't have any comparison. Without deadeye both shootouts and hunting are p. much impossible. With deadeye it's retardedly easy. Could they do more with the formula? No idea. Probably.
- Horse controls. Realistic horse controls should be illegal, punishable by cruel torture. I do appreciate the absence of magical teleporting horse though, it was such a goofy stupid thing in Witcher 3 or Kingdom Come.
- Game LOVES to waste your time. Skinning animations, minute long "fast" travelling cutscenes, jesus. There is realism and then there is retardery. Rockstar can't tell them apart.
- Game lacks SJWisms for the most part, probably because it was conceived and designed many years ago, but there are small hints, like Sadie, the feminist idea of a stronk femyn, or 95% of bad guys being librul caricatures of raysiss southern hicks, rednecks and yahoos, complete with the Micah-style beards. You always know a dude is a baddie when he's sporting this sort of villanous moustache.

This is a one-of-a-kind experience. The visuals, vibe, aesthetics, VA are revolutionary. A new standard. You can see there was a strong author's vision driving all this. But it's just not a good videogame. After 15 or so hours the only fun I had was just riding around, exploring, hunting, fishing and doing side activities. Spent dozens of hours on that and it would be much, much better if any of it actually mattered for the gameplay. Definitely glad I bought and played it but this will get uninstalled and stay uninstalled forever.

Last edited:

Starwars

Arcane
I kind of agree though I haven't finished the game yet. It reminds me a lot of GTA V in that sense. The game is super engrossing for as long you're seduced by the gameworld, which truly is fantastic. Story is fun to follow, characters are fun and well acted. But Rockstar definitely need to evolve the way they do their quests and missions in their games. There are lots of fun ideas and setup but the way it's executed is very constricted and boring.
I liked the idea of upgrading the camp, bringing food in and all of that, but it never feels like it amounts to much unfortunately.

I actually like the horse mechanics and controls though. I feel like they work pretty well once you get used to them and feel "immersive" in a good way.

But for me, everything else about the UI and controls just feel really bad. Like I mentioned, I just cannot get used to the "push and hold" prompts, it just makes everything feel so unbearably sluggish.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
- Muh visuals. Never seen anything like that. With my powerful rig, on ultra, the visuals kept blowing me away until the fucking end. Fishing in the sunset, waking up in the low mist, hunting eagles on the snowy peaks, shootouts with los banditos in the desert and many, many more. The volumetric ligting and particle effects are out of this world. The forests are not as next-level as in Kingdom Come but overall this is the best looking game to date, at least on a stronk PC.

I hated the heavy TAA blur and then sharpening filter slapped on it, but other than that it's a beautiful game no doubt.

- Who else was fucking ready to uninstall after the first 3 chapters? The mission design is shockingly bad. Stunningly terrible. Walk up to a mission giver, watch cutscene, mount your horse, press V for cinematic camera, watch automatic ride for 5 minutes while NPCs banter/give exposition, arrive at the destination, investigate/loot and flee in a massive shootout where you slaughter dozens of enemies. Rinse and repeat about 50 times. Absolutely shocking. Two thousand people worked on this game for 8 years. Nobody ever said "uuh, maybe change things up a little now and then?". Jesus fuck. I was so sick of this stupid, boring repetition that when the epilogue started I straight up delighted in all those dumb, menial activities as John. Even shovelling shit was a breath of fresh air compared to the standard Rockstar formula.
- The forced slow walking. Sweet lord the constant slow walking was driving me up the ceiling. That's what happens when you decide collision have to be "realistic", so that even a slight bump into somebody can injure them or push them down the cliff or something. So you can't allow this for essential NPCs so you have to surround them with "safety bubble" of forced slow walking. The collisions are immensely retarded btw, dramatic sommersaults after your horse catches a tiny branch sticking from the ground, massive shootouts with entire towns because you bumped into someone in the streets, murder bounties because other riders on country roads love to head-crash into you, jesus.

I uninstalled it in chapter two for these reasons. Missions were very repetitive, and focus on immersion was way too strong. Story was decent, but nothing you can't watch 100 movies or shows like Deadwood for. Maybe I'll go back someday, but it's a laborious experience. GTA had some of that, but nowhere near as much.

KVVRR

Learned
z9ikaD5.png

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
I played it at a friends place because he got the cracked version. It crashed constantly. Rockstar strikes again.
I despise how over animated everything was I'm so used to Deus Ex's snappiness so seeing a 30+ frame animation play just for picking up some pringles was really dull.
The only good thing about it is that the game art was top notch but what do you expect for a Dickensian sweat shop of course the art would be good at the expense of marriages and health.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
surprisingly enjoyable, but probably because i haven't played this kind of popamole since forever it actually feels kind of refreshing. the fantastic presentation helps a lot and i bought new 4k TV 2 weeks ago and it looks absolutely gorgeous on 55" OLED.

Beowulf

Arcane
My good, how shitty this game is.

I bought it in the hopes of playing a decent western themed game, but there is barely any game in there.

It seems to be split in 2 big design ideas that are apart from each other.
First one is the story missions part, where basically you ride from one cinematic to another, and when you finally arrive to the mission location, it's either kill endless stream of mooks jumping at you to provide some cannon fodder or walk from point to point performing required button prompts.
The other one is the open world with focus on minutia details of your activities.

But there is barely any player agency in the first part, and the disappointment is compounded by the fact that every mission is very linear and you can hardly deviate from the prescribed path. Sure, the voice acting is great, the game is an audiovisual delight, the characters are distinct enough to remember them (albeit heavy on tropes), but the gameplay is extremely boring and repetitive.

The open world part might be fun, but I don't personally enjoy this type of aimless design where player is left to search for fun on his own. For hunting games I already have Hunter, which has better hunting mechanics and no less impressive visuals.
The attention to detail is astounding, but I don't see the systems interconnecting and serving anything deeper than a time waster with beautiful vistas.

The control scheme for k&m is also poorly thought through and the game takes control from the player occasionally (quite often actually, especially when the game wants you to slow down) which only aggravates further the impression that they really wanted the players to experience an interactive movie.

I guess there is some fun to be had wandering aimlessly, engaging in shoot-outs with the bad guys or playing a murderhobo, but after that it's uninstall.exe.

Last edited:
the game takes control from the player occasionally (quite often actually, especially when the game wants you to slow down) which only aggravates further the impression that they really wanted the players to experience an interactive movie.
My thoughts exactly. The devs must be truly obsessive people to want to control player movement to such a degree. It feels like being dragged around like a marionette. "No, you walk now. No, you should look over there now. No horses or running in camp, stupid player."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom