Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Redfall - open world vampire slaying co-op FPS from Arkane Austin

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!
what's with this "Redfall is trash / Starfield may be as well" ?

How is the latter's prospect predicated on the former? I don't think any Arkane fan was optimistic when the Redfall trailer first came out
All of AAA releases for 2023 have been broken at launch
Seems like Atomic Heart and Dead Island 2 were largely stable/solid.
Can confirm Dead Island 2 is technically solid. Also the RE4 and Metroid Prime remakes.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
I hate Buffy the Vampire Slayer for turning the entire vampire hunter subgenre into garbage.

What's a decent game about killing vampires? I can only think of Nosferatu: The Wrath of Malachi. There's also Castlevania, but I don't count those because you usually only kill a vampire at the very end.

Duraframe300

Arcane
I hate Buffy the Vampire Slayer for turning the entire vampire hunter subgenre into garbage.

What's a decent game about killing vampires? I can only think of Nosferatu: The Wrath of Malachi. There's also Castlevania, but I don't count those because you usually only kill a vampire at the very end.
Boktai series (specifically Lunar Knights), that Infamous 2 DLC, the gameboy version of Blade, Bloodnet, Night Trap :P, some random jump and run I remember as a kid that ripped off Castelvania and featured one of the playable charachters being transformed into a bear? in a baseball helmet. (Though of course *decent* is replaced here with *nostalgia*.)

Not a huge pool in any case.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
It's weird, because everyone is going "how can an AAA game be like this...", "this is pathetic for an AAA title..." and so on, yet both this and that previous ayo' smacks lips game (can't recall the title from top of my head) both look very low budget from every possible angle. I guess it's the price that sets people off, but it's just ms trolling people with their gamepass fodder. You guys should settle for the fact that this is what those bought out studios have become.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
that previous ayo' smacks lips game
Do you mean this

Very strange way to describe it. My actual caricature of this game (which I haven't played) would've been to compare it with the new Dante from that Devil May Cry reboot. Annoying edgy dirty mouth protagonist game. Because from the few trailers I saw, the character was more Linkin Park and less 2pac.

At any rate, just like cable TV once upon a time opened the door for low-to-mid budget productions, that wouldn't make sense on cinema but are fine for TV, and just like Netflix and other streaming services did the same for modern TV shows, so is the Xbox streaming service making it viable to have a game that wouldn't sell enough if released as a boxed copy 10 years ago, but will keep people subscribed to the service. Its volume.
I suspect production starts thinking they are making the new best thing, then at some point they realize its not going that well, and then they ship it as a subscription service entry, rather than cancel the whole thing.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
No, I meant deathloop, I don't think arkane or ms had anything to do with forespoken.
Ah, you meant Arkane specifically. Deathloop wasn't bad, it was just wrongly marketed, and its very short as a game.
And it also isn't an AYOOOO SMACK LIPS type of game, other than that the characters are black. They aren't acting like caricatures.

Ah, you meant Arkane specifically. Deathloop wasn't bad, it was just wrongly marketed, and its very short as a game.
And it also isn't an AYOOOO SMACK LIPS type of game, other than that the characters are black. They aren't acting like caricatures.

Are you serious?

Deathloop has some of the cringiest dialogue I have seen in any game

Fearlessjay

Novice
Arkane are the very defination of Decline. Arx Fatalis was a decent Ultima Underworld type game. Dark Messiah was great fun. Dishonoured while not quite as good still had some great atmosphere. The sequel was a huge step down but I still liked it. The Death of the Outsider was just more of the same. Deathloop was pretty bad and one of the few purchases I regret as a result of the amazing reviews it got. Also ran like shite on release. Luckily I learned my lesson and gave Redfall a miss, like most PC gamers it seems. The brave new World of Microsoft 70 quid games.

Fargus

Arcane
Arkane are the very defination of Decline. Arx Fatalis was a decent Ultima Underworld type game. Dark Messiah was great fun. Dishonoured while not quite as good still had some great atmosphere. The sequel was a huge step down but I still liked it. The Death of the Outsider was just more of the same. Deathloop was pretty bad and one of the few purchases I regret as a result of the amazing reviews it got. Also ran like shite on release. Luckily I learned my lesson and gave Redfall a miss, like most PC gamers it seems. The brave new World of Microsoft 70 quid games.

Their last decent game was Prey and it was a miracle they even made it after Dishonored 2: Anita's Edition. You learned the lesson too late it seems.

Ryzer

Arcane
How many ex looking glass employees even alive even work there at this point?
Just type "Arkane Looking glass" - "Arkane immersive sims" in the search button, it's full of posts from simpletons sucking off Arkane, claiming they are following looking glass footsteps and how Arkane Austin is full of ex-Looking Glass devs, how Deus ex was in fact *plot twist* made entirely by the genuis Harvey Smith ( who is lead designer on Redfall btw).

Gargaune

Arcane
Gentlemen, let's please take a moment to recognise that Raphael Colantonio is, indeed, the greatest luminary of the Immersive Sim school of design. Neurath may have started it, Spector might've perfected it, but Colantonio? Colantonio knew when to leave! :-D

Ryzer

Arcane
Gentlemen, let's please take a moment to recognise that Raphael Colantonio is, indeed, the greatest luminary of the Immersive Sim school of design. Neurath may have started it, Spector might've perfected it, but Colantonio? Colantonio knew when to leave! :-D
Colantonio made "Weird West", a game forgotten by everyone 2 months after its release because it's mediocre, not the "so bad it's good" genre but just the terrible kind.

Gargaune

Arcane
Colantonio made "Weird West", a game forgotten by everyone 2 months after its release because it's mediocre, not the "so bad it's good" genre but just the terrible kind.
I don't regard Weird West as an Immersive Sim to begin with, so I'm giving him a pass. And a "forgotten after two months" little arcade game will be a smaller albatross to carry than Underworld Ascendant, Invisible War, or whatever this fucking Redfail thing is.

:positive:

Latelistener

Arcane
Funny thing I noticed is that the developer for this game is Arkane Austin on Steam, which means if you click on it you will never find any Arkane games.

Not sure if it was planned, but maybe at some point they became aware that this game won't be good no matter what.

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Phil Spencer apologises for ‘disappointing’ Redfall and claims Xbox was expecting better reviews

Xbox boss Phil Spencer has apologised for the launch state of its latest big first-party release, Redfall, and claimed that developer Arkane Austin will work on improvements for the game.

Wtf are they going to improve? The bugs are only a fraction of the problem. The game is shit top to bottom. Shit shooting, shit AI, shit world, shit loot, shit story, shit characters, shit everything. They would have to rebuild the whole thing from the ground up.

lycanwarrior

Scholar
Phil Spencer apologises for ‘disappointing’ Redfall and claims Xbox was expecting better reviews
Xbox boss Phil Spencer has apologised for the launch state of its latest big first-party release, Redfall, and claimed that developer Arkane Austin will work on improvements for the game.

Wtf are they going to improve? The bugs are only a fraction of the problem. The game is shit top to bottom. Shit shooting, shit AI, shit world, shit loot, shit story, shit characters, shit everything. They would have to rebuild the whole thing from the ground up.

Yeah, they should've just cancelled the game outright. Trying to rescue this game is peak "sunk-cost fallacy" at this point IMO.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom