Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Redfall - open world vampire slaying co-op FPS from Arkane Austin

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Apparently this game took 5 years to make.

All this talk of immersion sims, now I really want someone to make a modern/scifi version of Thief.

Like, how hard is that? I'd be happy with 1998 graphics and AI at this point.

Fargus

Arcane
How many ex looking glass employees even alive even work there at this point?
Just type "Arkane Looking glass" - "Arkane immersive sims" in the search button, it's full of posts from simpletons sucking off Arkane, claiming they are following looking glass footsteps and how Arkane Austin is full of ex-Looking Glass devs, how Deus ex was in fact *plot twist* made entirely by the genuis Harvey Smith ( who is lead designer on Redfall btw).
Looks like every good game from Arkane had Colantonio as a project director or co director. I remember someone posting about it in this thread. I still have some respect for the guy but his shitty wild west game turned out as expected so its probably safe to write him off as a has been at this point.

I only learned who Harvey Smith was when Arkane went woke with Dishonored 2 i think he was the one being apologetic cunt bowing and scraping before that mountain jew whore Anita. I didn't give a shit before that and just enjoyed their games, because they were good. Dishonored 2 opened my eyes though when i had 10 fps at the release so i just refunded. It also when "Bethesda's Quality Standarts (tm)" became a running joke... but not the fun kind.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
How many ex looking glass employees even alive even work there at this point?
Just type "Arkane Looking glass" - "Arkane immersive sims" in the search button, it's full of posts from simpletons sucking off Arkane, claiming they are following looking glass footsteps and how Arkane Austin is full of ex-Looking Glass devs, how Deus ex was in fact *plot twist* made entirely by the genuis Harvey Smith ( who is lead designer on Redfall btw).
Of the Deus Ex design team that Arkane had, Monte Martinez joined Raph at WolfEye. Harvey, Ricardo Bare, and Steve Powers all contributed to Redfall, it is their collective Gen X failure.

Latelistener

Arcane
I'm not sure what they were doing for all this time, but these three all had the power to make this game good or at least decent and they didn't.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Xbox is a disaster. Maybe Phil needs to rethink this...

There’s clearly quality and execution things we can do, but one thing I won’t do is push against [the] creative aspirations of our teams.

Its those creative aspirations (or lack thereof) that was a mistake in the first place. Sometimes these creative aspirations will never lead to a good game no matter the talent on the team. Nobody asked for a game like this. It was shit at conception and stayed shit.

quixotic

Learned
Dishonored’s DLC was the beginning of the end of Arkane for me. That’s when the tendrils of wokeshit started to show up. Dishonored 2 was clown shit story-wise, but the gameplay was still good, even better then 1. Prey turned out to be great, so maybe there was still hope…
Then Deathloop happened.
And, somehow, Redfall is even worse.
:(

Irata

Scholar

Phil Spencer Gets Honest About Redfall
"I'm disappointed"
“There’s nothing more difficult for me than disappointing the Xbox community”

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I never cared for Dishonored all that much. Neither the stealth or combat felt good to me. Prey was pretty dope though, but I have a soft spot for scifi horror shooters.

Prey uses almost all the exact same gameplay mechanics as Dishonored right down to the bone charms/chipsets.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Listening to Harvey Smith talk about the game, they were aware of everything that was wrong, they continued developing the game thinking these were the right choices to make.
Harvey says that progress being tied to host is a good thing. How the hell do you end up this out of touch with reality. He also is just phoning in the characters as well, barely any thought was put into them.
All he did in interviews was read off feature lists and claim how great its been working for Microsoft. Then Phil comes out and totally contradicts that stating the development was troubled.

Harvey needs to leave the industry. It's obvious he's completely lost it.

Fargus

Arcane
For real? I guess Smith can't tie his shoes properly without someone telling him how to.

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!
My question is why is Phil still Xbox general manager? Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention but as far as I can tell the Xbutt brand has only declined since he took over. Halo is hardly the system seller it once was, and Gears seems to be completely dead (serves em right for making a girl the protag). What else they got left besides Forza? That was like their only 3 things.

It's weird, because everyone is going "how can an AAA game be like this...", "this is pathetic for an AAA title..." and so on, yet both this and that previous ayo' smacks lips game (can't recall the title from top of my head) both look very low budget from every possible angle. I guess it's the price that sets people off, but it's just ms trolling people with their gamepass fodder. You guys should settle for the fact that this is what those bought out studios have become.
I always chuckle when I see these prefab statements re: "we are sorry that product doesn't live up to our standards"; it's exactly the opposite - it's exactly up to their standards (and their audience's).

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Xbox is a disaster. Maybe Phil needs to rethink this...

There’s clearly quality and execution things we can do, but one thing I won’t do is push against [the] creative aspirations of our teams.

Its those creative aspirations (or lack thereof) that was a mistake in the first place. Sometimes these creative aspirations will never lead to a good game no matter the talent on the team. Nobody asked for a game like this. It was shit at conception and stayed shit.

What the fuck is he doing? What kind of interview is that?

Guessing he got called into the office and will be given his marching orders soon.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
What the fuck is he doing? What kind of interview is that?

Guessing he got called into the office and will be given his marching orders soon.
Well yeah this was one of MS's tentpole games and it was such a disaster that even the gaming press hates it. They can't just ignore it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom