Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Redfall - open world vampire slaying co-op FPS from Arkane Austin

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
dishonored 2 has more daily players than this turd, which is putting up Prey names one week after release...

View attachment 36086

Hey Infinitron don't you have a mainstream 9/10 review to post or something? Maybe some tweets by random idiots at Arkane? You're awfully silent now that the game is failing. Or did the money dry up too?

That happens because previews are done with pre-release review copies that devs provide with the disclaimer that some polishing is still being done and that issues will be fixed for the release version.

So I assume video game reviewers provide something of a pass for technical issues during the previews with the assumption that the developers are being honest about that. And heck, maybe the developers honestly do think they will be able to clean up many of the issues prior to release.

Also here is another youtube review. This time from a youtuber that is known for being very positive about the games he plays (he is even somewhat disliked by some codexers for defending Fallout 3 and 4) and finding something nice to say about them but who couldn't really find much of anything positive to say about Redfall.

MATN is one of the worse content creators on the platform, but this is a good video

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
To be fair, I love vampire/monster hunter type games and stories. Underdog humans with nothing but ingenuity and guts taking on vastly powerful supernatural forces? Yes please.

(Goofy plainclothes superheroes with a bunch of made up powers slaughtering brain dead bags of hit points? Not so much.)

(Goofy plainclothes superheroes with a bunch of made up powers slaughtering brain dead bags of hit points? Not so much.)

This is also the first Arkane game where the art direction, character design in particular, feels like it was settled upon by (marketing research) committee*. Granted, some guy/s behind the rugged faces in Dishonored, Prey et all left (to WolfEye).

But oldschool Arkane would have broken the modern day scenario by say having archaic Van Helsing type of hunters (including their gear) battling it out against Kinski-style Nosferatu bloodsuckers. Even Stephen King back then knew why he had that interesting contrast in his "Salem's Lot" novel, which was basically "Dracula coming to then modern day New England."

Redfall meanwhile has none. It's basically Fortnite:Vampire$. And at times actually reminds me of Ghostbusters 2016, where there's colours and flashy gadgets everywhere in the desperate attempt to cater to the youngest crowd, and nothing is ever taken remotedly serious.

* Granted, Dishonored's Outsider has always sported the looks of a Myspace Emo ca. 2005 as well -- in particular in the 2nd game.

Last edited:

Spacer's Nugget

Learned
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
To be fair, I love vampire/monster hunter type games and stories. Underdog humans with nothing but ingenuity and guts taking on vastly powerful supernatural forces? Yes please.
Someone needs to license the XCOM engine and make a Monster Hunter International game.
The whole Redfall concept would actually translate better to a modern XCOM-like game, but there's a genre of games that sells worse than the likes of Dishonored/Deus Ex/Prey (2017). :lol:

ind33d

Learned

This is also the first Arkane game where the art direction, character design in particular, feels like it was settled upon by (marketing research) committee*. Granted, some guy/s behind the rugged faces in Dishonored, Prey et all left (to WolfEye).

But oldschool Arkane would have broken the modern day scenario by say having archaic Van Helsing type of hunters (including their gear) battling it out against Kinski-style Nosferatu bloodsuckers. Even Stephen King back then knew why he had that interesting contrast in his "Salem's Lot" novel, which was basically "Dracula coming to then modern day New England."

Redfall meanwhile has none. It's basically Fortnite:Vampire$. And at times actually reminds me of Ghostbusters 2016, where there's colours and flashy gadgets everywhere in the desperate attempt to cater to the youngest crowd, and nothing is ever taken remotedly serious.

* Granted, Dishonored's Outsider has always sported the looks of a Myspace Emo ca. 2005 as well -- in particular in the 2nd game.
someone should use ai art to figure out which inputs generated redfall

Spacer's Nugget

Learned
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Redfall WAS going to feature microtransactions, for starters.
Fucking Bethesda. Guess we know how Gamepass will be monetised from Bethesda going forward.
This shit right here is 29.99 US dollars (on all platforms):

Redfall_Steam-biteback_616x400-01.jpg

Two new characters, four outfits, and two weapon skins. That's it.

Last edited:

Modron

Arcane
Two new characters
Is a lot of work, voice overs, new dialog inserted over the entirity of a game, new graphics, new abilities, and probably only 6% of your playerbase will use them if they aren't available at launch. Gearbox stepped away from doing new character dlcs for Borderlands 3, despite the 3 previous games having 2 each. Sure they could have padded it out with a few more cosmetics or something for the price.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer

You represent one of the largest corporations in the world, You are not struggling indies, you have a notorious PR staff that is the mockery of the entire games industry.
You want us to feel sorry for you? you want us to feel bad? Fuck you! Bethesda was one of the worst things to happen to this industry you don't get our sympathy.
I'm an indie, people have come up to me at cons and said things to my face, you know what yeah it hurts but I'm still making games. You've all been at this a lot longer than I have, harden the fuck up.
I worked on the fucking Zune ffs!

I felt this exact same way when Pete Hines got upset about the "trolls" with Fallout 76. Come the fuck on. Bethesda can dish it out but they can't take it.

Last edited:

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
To be honest, other devs really shouldn't run their mouths since the quality of games has dropped everywhere.
I mean other AAAs yes I do agree with you there but I haven't so much seen them criticising it as I have mostly indies and youtubers going after them and rightly so. I say punch up.
Also always remember what Bethesda did to the original Prey devs and what they did to Interplay, this is comeuppance. They have no right to say what they are saying when in both cases those studios were outright attacked by Bethesda in order to usurp the rights, they were saying EXACTLY what is being said about Redfall about those developers. That's why I say they dish it out but they can't take it.
And I sure as hell expect better from ex-ion storm, really hurts me to be saying this about them because I genuinely looked up to them.

To be honest, other devs really shouldn't run their mouths since the quality of games has dropped everywhere.

And prior, staffers at Arkane had the privilege of actually working on a couple interesting games, concepts, artworks and game worlds every once in a while.

That must have hurt all the industry's factory liners whose "creativity" is burnt on things this generic, blank pieces of paper appear like pieces of art wholesale when put up against them. Now is their opportunity to "Bite back!". What a relief that must be. ;)

Since that is coming up again, who even are the developers she’s taking about going after the game publicly? I haven’t seen anything like I did when developers from Ubisoft and some other places were going after Elder Ring... which came off more like jealousy given how well Elder Ring was doing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom