Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Rocksteady's Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League out now

-look, i saw your job, and here i'm certifying you'll never come closer than 200 km to us. ever again.
-so you're certifying i worked with you.

(reporting myself for "fabulously optimistic farming")

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Still modding GK lol

346-1698518568-1207287819.png

221-1699155709-624711555.jpeg
312-1705244048-1993188463.png
312-1688071195-2114755960.png
350-1698241255-690842472.png

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
The art design (aside from Brainiac's ship imo) is such a decline from the Arkham games as well:

1706866127902249.png

I'm not one to usually be bothered by bad UI
But the visual noise of this game is simply down right disgusting
And it looks even worse in motion
Is Rocksteady trying to kill epilectics?

r6hef2eqzgbc1.png

Still modding GK lol
Doesn't that one suck as well?

Last edited:

Dodo1610

Arcane
Rocksteady has about 300 employees, they worked on this for 7-8 years so it's reasonable to assume this game had a production cost of at least 300mio possibly even a lot more. Luckily it was all worth it for this game.
ghsSHjQ.png

I honestly wouldn't be shocked if this game became the least profitable title in the medium's history.

Gonna be one of those games where the only true entertainment value comes from reading the postmortems.

Nearly an ENTIRE FUCKING DECADE of devtime.

I mean, what in the ever-loving fuck happened here?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
The art design (aside from Brainiac's ship) is such a decline from the Arkham games as well:

1706866127902249.png

r6hef2eqzgbc1.png

Still modding GK lol
It's very very eh without mods. Entertaining with them - difficulty and quality of life there too.

Does that make it worth playing? Eh. I wouldn't prioritize it. Frankly the reason I chose it is because I like asphyxiating people.

On the specific question of GK vs Suicide Squad... Gotham Knights is like a dumbed down, diluted Arkham game. GK's problem is more like lack of ambition. Forgettable.

That pic of Suicide Squad looks worse than I actually imagined though. What I had already known is that everybody would be using guns. It's a shooter and looter, which I'm not in the mood for lately. What they're doing is just taking advantage of the brand name(s). It even looks like an MMO in that pic - what I didn't expect.

Besides that I just mod for the sake of challenge and spite, so that keeps me going.

Caim

Arcane
You know what? I've never really played Arkham Origins, the black sheep of the series. Imma install that now, play some over the weekend. I played the first two on launch and Knight about a year ago, so let's see what this one brings to the table.

The art design (aside from Brainiac's ship) is such a decline from the Arkham games as well:

1706866127902249.png

r6hef2eqzgbc1.png

Still modding GK lol

This game’s new Joker from another universe doesn’t look like he was created to be a playable character, he looks like he was created specifically for a joke scene like this:

Last edited:

Elttharion

Learned
You know what? I've never really played Arkham Origins, the black sheep of the series. Imma install that now, play some over the weekend. I played the first two on launch and Knight about a year ago, so let's see what this one brings to the table.
Origins is really good, well worth playing.

-M-

Educated
I've never really played Arkham Origins

Origins is just a worse version (in every way) of Arkham City. It's made by a team of far less talented people than whoever used to work at Rocksteady.

It's certainly playable if you've enjoyed the other games since it has a solid foundation, it just doesn't build anything worthwhile on that foundation (and messes up some of the stuff that City did right).

Shamus Young did a pretty good write-up on it.
https://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=21677

But supposedly the Deathstroke boss fight is the best in the series

It's a quick time event. I know it's fawned over because it "looks cool", but it really is bad. The Deathstroke tank fight in Arkham Knight is better than this.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Rocksteady has about 300 employees, they worked on this for 7-8 years so it's reasonable to assume this game had a production cost of at least 300mio possibly even a lot more. Luckily it was all worth it for this game.
ghsSHjQ.png

I honestly wouldn't be shocked if this game became the least profitable title in the medium's history.
Well my salary rate was up to 600 UDS/mo. So assume we are not talking about overpaid shit it's 300 * 12 * 6 * 600
12 960 000 USD. + 23-70 percent taxes and payments for building and electricity. (and some peanuts for Hardware)

Well they are based in London, so LOL for low salary expectations.
Also considering what CA did, it's safe to assume ALL fresh UK developers are morons who were taught by cellphones, playing random shit MP games, and playing consoles. Thus zero actual artistic experience.
On the positive: They had only 254 employees. (So if they are living in slums, and they took developers no other company wanted to touch with a pole. They could get even under 26 millions USD. If this was done by developers that no sane company wanted to touch with a pole, it's decent effort, it's even less buggy than latest owlcat game.)

It's not that bad result in comparison to Creative Assembly latest stuff called Pharaoh, total war.

BTW:
https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-68173718
After early previews of the game were less-than-positive, major gaming site IGN, which published one of them, said it had been refused a review copy.
It wasn't alone - most journalists only received codes on Tuesday, when the online game's servers were switched on.
Usually, websites and streamers receive advance copies much earlier to give them enough time to write a comprehensive review.
This doesn't always happen, and IGN itself pointed out that publisher Warner Bros Games was under no obligation to send it a free copy.
But Victoria Phillips Kennedy, who works for UK-based gaming site Eurogamer, says: "I do feel it's a slightly unusual response."
She tells BBC Newsbeat she believes "lukewarm" previews "possibly influenced their decision to hold off on review code".
Even BBC noticed.

ghsSHjQ.png

Well my salary rate was up to 600 UDS/mo. So assume we are not talking about overpaid shit it's 300 * 12 * 6 * 600
12 960 000 USD. + 23-70 percent taxes and payments for building and electricity. (and some peanuts for Hardware)

Well they are based in London, so LOL for low salary expectations.
Also considering what CA did, it's safe to assume ALL fresh UK developers are morons who were taught by cellphones, playing random shit MP games, and playing consoles. Thus zero actual artistic experience.
On the positive: They had only 254 employees. (So if they are living in slums, and they took developers no other company wanted to touch with a pole. They could get even under 26 millions USD. If this was done by developers that no sane company wanted to touch with a pole, it's decent effort, it's even less buggy than latest owlcat game.)

It's not that bad result in comparison to Creative Assembly latest stuff called Pharaoh, total war.

BTW:
https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-68173718
After early previews of the game were less-than-positive, major gaming site IGN, which published one of them, said it had been refused a review copy.
It wasn't alone - most journalists only received codes on Tuesday, when the online game's servers were switched on.
Usually, websites and streamers receive advance copies much earlier to give them enough time to write a comprehensive review.
This doesn't always happen, and IGN itself pointed out that publisher Warner Bros Games was under no obligation to send it a free copy.
But Victoria Phillips Kennedy, who works for UK-based gaming site Eurogamer, says: "I do feel it's a slightly unusual response."
She tells BBC Newsbeat she believes "lukewarm" previews "possibly influenced their decision to hold off on review code".
Even BBC noticed.
$600/mo is substantially below minimum wage in the UK, and I seriously doubt Rocksteady has any positions that pay minimum wage. There are also plenty of other expenditures that are not labor related that a company needs to take into account when budgeting a project.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Well in that case.

Looks like this studio devolved after Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment acquired them. Thus either they had a lot of sales on consoles, and consoles would pay at least for 60 percent of loss. Or it might be last game of that studio.

Or at very least they might see cut down to 60 people.

(It's kinda weird how many people and studio are going down lately. Blizzard lay off. shadow gambit developers got money from German government and made theirs last game. ELEX developers got money from German government and then they got AX after they made ELEX2. If this was 90s, game developers would be easily absorbed in standard SW development companies, which would cause drop in salaries in standard SW industry, but these people were skilled, had a lot REAL programming experience, and they had technical talent.)
I guess majority of people with PHDs are just chaff nowadays.

Uh… people with PhDs are not working in game dev, wtf are you smoking? For that matter very few people working in game dev can code for shit; it’s notoriously the industry’s biggest bottleneck.

Last edited:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Uh… people with PHDs are not working in game dev, wtf are you smoking? For that matter very few people working in game dev can code for shit; it’s notoriously the industry’s biggest bottleneck.
They did in 90s. I guess that explains why games devolved so much.

abija

Prophet
Few did then and few do now, pay has always been way worse than in other fields.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
AFAIK this didn't even crack the top ten best sellers on Steam, they're screwed.
It's basically one of those old sequels which is just the original game, but more of it. Good if you liked the previous game and wanted more of it, otherwise it's not really worth bothering. Though I will say it has one problem with it's story, in a way that even if you don't care about it, it comes off as annoying.

Elttharion

Learned
I am just waiting for a similar meme regarding this game and Rocksteady.

25z9gjek88la1.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom