Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Interview RPG Codex Interview: STASIS, 2D Isometric Adventure Game Now on Kickstarter

Victor Dosev

Novice
Hi guys,

I just wanted to ask whether the Codex will do any special fundraising for this game?

I.e. can we donate as a group and get special presence in the game?
:love:

Zeriel

Arcane
I just think its unwarranted negativity considering how pretty a product he has to show off. Celebrity endorsements not having much to do with my opinion.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Hi guys,

I just wanted to ask whether the Codex will do any special fundraising for this game?

I.e. can we donate as a group and get special presence in the game?
:love:

I support the idea but not necessarily for a special presence in the game. In fact I dislike *special* things done for backers mostly because it has nothing to do with the vision of the game (if there is a vision in the first place).

Anyway I just pledged 99 potatoes.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Oooh, huge Sanitarium fan here and this thing looks mighty beautiful. Will back for sure. Kind of expensive tiers, tho. Geez.

skyst

Augur
The demo was fun, though a bit simplistic. Great looking game - the guy seriously needs to transplant some RPG into it and the thing could be amazing.

Backed anyway.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Looks amazing. Backed.

Was wondering when he would do something more than that vid on his website a while ago.

I dare say this guy is the best isometric pre-render-type artist that exists out there.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
when news first broke about Stasis, everybody were like "hey this is great... he should make an RPG!"

I mean, this is great and all... but he should really make an RPG.

team up with iron tower, KS with Ziets/Avellone stretch goals, and zip zap rap - it's a win.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Hey guys,

I will be back in a short while to answer any questions here, but in the mean time, if you have downloaded the Alpha build, there is a small point release at http://www.stasisgame.com/getstasis/
Its fixes some small things, aswell as makes the game run a bit faster.

-Chris

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I might be a bit late to the party here - but this must be the guy that did some of the Wasteland 2 mapping for inXile.

Chris Avellone said:
One thing we noticed both on Eternity and Wasteland II is once the engine was announced, the amount of volunteers that poured in going "I do environment art in Unity in my spare time, I really enjoy doing it, could I send you a sample?" and then going back and forth with those guys. The Wasteland II guys found this guy in South Africa who is just doing a fantastic job laying out maps in Unity.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...ris-avellone-blew-by-4-million-on-kickstarter

Has a quote lined up from Brian Fargo on launch too, coincidence.

Last edited:

Wizfall

Cipher
Backed.
Love the atmosphere, setting and graphics of Stasis.
Makes you wonder how Double Fine can spend so much money on the graphic art side of their game for their outcome, ridiculous and depressing.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I might be a bit late to the party here - but this must be the guy that did some of the Wasteland 2 mapping for inXile.

Chris Avellone said:
One thing we noticed both on Eternity and Wasteland II is once the engine was announced, the amount of volunteers that poured in going "I do environment art in Unity in my spare time, I really enjoy doing it, could I send you a sample?" and then going back and forth with those guys. The Wasteland II guys found this guy in South Africa who is just doing a fantastic job laying out maps in Unity.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...ris-avellone-blew-by-4-million-on-kickstarter

Has a quote lined up from Brian Fargo on launch too, coincidence.

Yes, that's not news. Pyke did some contract work for inXile for a short while.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Pyke, any chance there will be a $50 physical tier? Maybe "box only" or something? Cuz that's all I really want and I don't particularly want to spend $80 for it. Either way you'll get my
:takemymoney:

at some point. Just likely a lesser sum if not.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Looks great. I can't afford to back the project at the moment, but I will be rooting for it to succeed. Good luck!

x4nti

Educated
I tried the alpha/demo. It really looks amazing and the atmosphere is very nice, but I wish it was a bit more scary. Hopefully the horror element will be me more prominent in the full game. The actual game play is disappointing though. The puzzles are all way too easy! And I can't get any joy or satisfaction from simple problem whose solution is an almost immediate realization.

TemplarLord

Educated
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Just backed this, gave away as much as I could.

Also first update on KS.

Hey Backers!

Its been 24 hours since the Kickstarter went live, and it has certainly been a roller coaster of a day! Thanks to you amazing people, we are almost 20% of the way there!

I want to say thank you AGAIN to everyone who has provided feedback on the Alpha Demo of the game. I have bookmarked every email, and gone through all of your suggestions. I feel that STASIS will undoubtedly be a better game for it!

While have tried to answer as many questions about STASIS as possible, sometimes the best way to find out more about the game (instead of actually playing it...), is to read a few of the interviews I have done recently.

Snippit from RPGCodex.com

RPG Codex: To begin this interview, please introduce STASIS to our readers. What is the game about, what kind of world is it set in, and what is the gameplay like?

Chris Bischoff: STASIS is a 2D Isometric Adventure Game, set in abandoned research ship in a decaying orbit around Neptune. STASIS is borne out of a love for Science Fiction horror, drawing heavily from worlds like Alien, Sunshine, and Event Horizon. But at its heart, its a classic Adventure Game. Finding items, combining them in various ways, and using them to solve puzzles to move through the world.

What is your background (both professional and as a gamer) and how did you get into video game development? When and why did you decide to make a game like STASIS?

Professionally I am an architectural artist, running a company called BURN, with my brother.

I have always been interested in game development, from making my own boardgames as a kid, to trying to create clones of my favourite games! If you were involved in the Star Control community a few years back, you may remember a game called Outworld, and later changed to AlienME, which was a game heavily inspired by the mechanics of Star Control 2.

Graphically, I have always loved 2D isometric games. There is something just magical about a highly detailed 2D world that I feel just can't be matched by 3D real-time engines. Working on a project like this would be a dream for me as an artist - but living a continent away from any large game development studios meant that I had to go at it myself!

STASIS started off as a side project during my December break, and slowly evolved into what it is today. It really is a story of 'accidental development'. I never intentionally set out to create this story, but as it grew and grew I fell in love with the project and the world.

What sci-fi books and video games inspired the game's concept? And since you have an account at the RPG Codex, are there any pen-and-paper or computer RPGs among the inspirations?

The RAMA series had a big influence on me when I was younger. I loved the idea of exploring a truly alien world, which is why my stand out games tended to be focused on that concept. When I started development on STASIS, I read quite a few books that focused on the themes of the story. Greg Bears 'Hull Zero Three', Michael Crichtons 'Sphere' (still, in my opinion, one of the best opening acts to a SciFi story ever written), and even Orson Scott Cards novelization of The Abyss.

I've been a massive lover of Science Fiction ever since I saw Star Wars at the tender age of 4, so to pick any specific influence is very difficult! STASIS is the amalgamation of all of those experiences.

As far as RPG's go, their biggest influence on me has been less thematic, and more visual. Fallout was the first CRPG that truly captured my imagination from a visual standpoint. The entire world is so beautifully crafted in that game, I would spend hours and days just walking around, hunting down new areas. From there, I moved onto the rest of the Infinity Engine games. Icewind Dale is one of my favourites graphically!

Crusader No Remorse was also a huge influence on me as an artist. I remember playing the game, and taking screenshots of it frame by frame to 'rip' the explosions and characters and use them in my games.

...............................................................................................

READ THE FULL INTERVIEW HERE!

...............................................................................................

And another one with IndieStatik's Chris Priestman.

While John may be alone for the majority of the game’s events, he is in contact with another survivor called Teah. It’s through the stories that these two characters share that Chris hopes players will be able to invest emotionally in the gut-wrenching situation when those you love the most are lost inside a hostile and demeaning place.

“Throughout the game, you are in contact with another survivor, and through your shared experiences, you hear stories of her family, and she hears of yours. There is a story about how John’s daughter, Rebecca, came into the world, and her special relationship to her mother, that is very central to the family dynamic. It is my hope that players will connect with this story and the parallels of Teah’s tale and will grow with John through his journey to find his wife and daughter and reunite his family.”

Given John’s plight is one that’s wrought with several different intense emotions, it struck me that it may be difficult to extract the empathy and shock from the player that Chris wants to achieve with STASIS using an isometric, third-person view. It grants him some advantages, such as being able to zoom out of a scene to create a sense of isolation, but compare the isometric view to the first-person perspective, which has the player step into the shoes of the character on a more literal level, and there’s certainly a distance created that may prove my feeling right.

“It’s extremely difficult!” Chris exclaims when I bring this up. “Especially when you add in the extra limitations that I have in going ‘pure 2D,’ so no dynamic lighting or shadows. There are times when I would have killed to be able to just give John a torch and turn the lights out! But there is something magical about a highly detailed 2D isometric world. You tend to fill in the details yourself and flesh out things that aren’t necessarily there. Unlike a first-person viewpoint, where you are given everything, going with a pulled out point of view almost forces you to use your imagination.”

READ THE FULL INTERVIEW HERE!

And a reminder to everyone, even if you cant contribute to the Kickstarter Campaign, please vote on GREENLIGHT, and spread the word!

And a small gift for you guys...in honour of one of the influences of STASIS, I created this piece of fan art. To all you backers, thanks for helping keep 2D isometric alive!

0eea4a3f3aaf917f4e02f89bb4e6f38c_large.jpg

STASIS: No Remorse
22d0fd710f1ca9c39710d9d8f1fd69eb_large.jpg

20% in the first day is a hell of a way to start Pyke :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom