Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Codex Review RPG Codex Review: Pathfinder Kingmaker

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by Infinitron, Aug 23, 2020.

1. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    I played on a custom difficulty that removed stat bloat but kept most things core (critical hits, damage, permadeath)

Playing the game as intended since it always gives you the chance to evade. Sometimes it doesn't work, so I just went through them.

That was my intention at the start, but there was too much downtime in-between main quests so I ended up visiting every area in the game.

This is possible.

It would be out of character for both me and my character to deliberately antagonize a demigod after already seeing what he's capable of doing.

I outlined my likes and dislikes. You can decide for yourself if too much grind is a personal dealbreaker.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • cuck cuck x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Tyranicon A Memory of Eternity Developer

Tyranicon
    Can anyone actually confirm if the TB combat is actually good?

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    if it's like the mod then it's better than rtwp

^ Top  
  4. Average Manatee Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    Not the case for infinity engine-based games, from what I found out recently: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/the-icewind-dale-series-thread.54564/page-101#post-6805157

Though in this case it seems basically an accident/oversight since its effectively random which enemies are RAW and which are RAW + enhanced by whatever flavor description text was given.

• Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    DMs will regularly change the stats of enemies to fit the party on the fly anyways, it's not really the same.
    Similar issue I have with things like e.g., 3e/PF weapon focus feat in cRPGs. At tabletop, a DM will alter drops to make sure your weapon focus isn't useless. In a cRPG, unless you've played it before, there's a good chance you may never encounter a single weapon worth using in your focus.
    DDO(3.5e-ish homebrew) solved this by simply grouping like weapons(e.g., "Weapon Focus: Slashing"), which feels good enough to me.

I'd be impressed with a cRPG that's smart enough to acknowledge feat choices on player characters and slightly fudge the loot though.

A lot of cRPGs feel like they're designed by people who never actually DM'd a tabletop RPG :M

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  6. Average Manatee Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    Yeah, I'm not terribly concerned about deviations in stats. Its not like a sadistic DM can't find a way to abuse RAW in PnP if they wanted by pulling out esoteric monsters that are overpowered compared to their Challenge Rating, and players trying to do the same by rules lawyering ridiculous things is something DMs are allowed to shut down. In the end it all comes down to the DM giving you the challenge you want in PnP and the devs of cRPGs playtesting to make sure the difficulty is what they expect it to be.

This is what a detailed crafting/enchanting system is normally for.

Though I still have to agree that the absurd amount of weapon categories in 3rd ed is ridiculous. Ohh, you're a master of swords with a length of 50"? Sorry, this one is 55", you're basically a useless retard more likely to injure yourself than others if you try to swing this sword.

^ Top  
  7. Pink Eye Monk Patron

Pink Eye
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    That's why monks are best class. Fists don't need weapons to be effective.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    ^ Top  
  9. Pink Eye Monk Patron

Pink Eye
    Wtf monk bros... I didn't know that was a thing...

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Whisper Arcane Vatnik

Whisper
    Once again, you are trying to change subject.

We are talking that limited rests favour physical dps parties much more than magical dps.

add. "The reason is that you're not meant to play this system as a spell spammer". Its ok to play arrow spammer and sword-cut spammer, but not spell spammer. Bad design.
    also. This is not about difficulty, this is about bad design. Limited rests hurt magical dps groups a lot, while doing almost nothing to physical dps groups.

Currently if you want to play Unfair and ignore limited rests mechanics, just roll 1 buffer who needs 1-2 spells per fight and physical DDs. You will do fine even with few rests. But make mage group and you are in trouble. This is a problem since it limits party setup, just for 0 reason to do so.

• butthurt butthurt x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Grauken Professional Procrastinator Patron

Grauken
    That's why monks were so feared on historical battlefields... wait

^ Top  
  12. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    Good.
    Magic users are always OP as shit in D&D-based cRPGs because they can just spam spells non-stop.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. Pink Eye Monk Patron

Pink Eye
    You fell for the spell caster's and weapon user's propaganda my dude.

^ Top  
  14. Grauken Professional Procrastinator Patron

Grauken
    I've killed monks before you were born

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Pink Eye Monk Patron

Pink Eye
    Oh yeah?! OH YEAH! Post pics or it didn't happen.

^ Top  
  16. Whisper Arcane Vatnik

Whisper
    Here is physical dps is OP, mostly due to limited heals mechanic. How it is different from magical dps being OP in other games? Same sh1t, both sides are unbalanced.

• Bro, do you even lift? Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Pink Eye Monk Patron

Pink Eye
    On a completely unrelated note. I liked how Pierre put monks in Chalice 2. In Chalice 2 you can encounter vampire monks as an enemy. It made me pretty excited!
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

I wish Kingmaker had more variety to its encounter design. Seemed like you always fought the same type of enemies with the same classes. Where else Chalice 2 had so much more variety to its encounters.

^ Top  
  18. oldmanpaco Master of Siestas

oldmanpaco
    You know this sort of argument is how we end up with Disco Elysium.

^ Top  
  19. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    men that wear dresses should never be powerful

^ Top  
  20. Grauken Professional Procrastinator Patron

Grauken

[​IMG]

around 1992

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Lawntoilet Cipher Patron

Lawntoilet
    Swordflight does this, it should be more common practice.

Because in other games where magic is better at everything, not just DPS, martials have basically no role at all. This is not the case with casters in something like Kingmaker, where casters are still very useful.

^ Top  
  22. Pink Eye Monk Patron

Pink Eye
    God. I remember when Pathfinder: Kingmaker first released. If you didn't already play through the game and knew what weapons were available. You could trap yourself by choosing to focus on a weapon that either had no upgrades. Or had a few upgrades. Or even worse didn't have any upgrades until the end game. People would constantly complain about being stuck with a +1 weapon for half the game back then.

^ Top  
  23. Zayne Novice

Zayne
    Not really, because you're forgetting about buffs.
    Physical dps parties still need lots and lots of buffs. Haste is a must-have for every non-trash encounter and you're also repeatedly casting shields, mirror visions, death protection, paralysis immunity, poison immunity, mind control immunity, legendary proportions, heroism and so on and so on.

My "physical" dps party consisted of MC(magus in first playthrough, vivisectionist in second one), Valerie, Amiri, Linzi, Harrim and Octavia. 2 full casters and 2 half-casters. And despite the fact that most of my damage came from swords and spears, I had to rest quite a lot, because without magical enhancements and protection you won't be able to deal any physical damage.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. lukaszek the determinator Patron

lukaszek
    deterministic system > RNG

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    ^ Top  
  25. Absinthe Arcane

Absinthe
    I'm not really impressed with this review. Too little depth on what the gameplay and combat actually feels like, the writing seems worse than you give it credit for based on those screenshots, and the way the game does alignment-based dialogue options is pretty fucking bad. I also find it strange that you would rate a game as "I never want to play this again" but still call it a rough diamond. It makes you sound like you are afraid of running afoul of the Codex consensus, which is retarded, because here on the Codex we tend to be pretty big on telling it straight not being afraid of stepping on people's toes. Linzi is also a far more annoying companion than you give her credit for, as it is impossible to actually be rid of her and she has a bad tendency to not listen to you in addition to her overall inconsistent principles and irresponsible behavior, and she is far from the only character with a grating personality and stupid backstory. IIRC you need to pick evil alignment options at the start of the game to avoid recruiting her because otherwise, you're fucked and she will never leave. Many of your companions (such as Linzi, Valerie, Amiri, Tristain, and to a lesser extent Jaethal) also tend to have shit stats for their classes and you often feel like it would be better to multiclass them out of their starting classes (and even then there is only so much you can do in the face of trash stats). In general almost no one has a 20 in their primary stat, and this is extra annoying when you realize that PF: Kingmaker has bloated stats and more encounters per day for increased difficulty but then saddles you with trash builds for your prebuilt companions, so you should generally recruit custom companions if you want companions with actually decent builds.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.