Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Review RPG Codex Review: Pathfinder Kingmaker

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Mods will fix it (tm).

I mean, who else is going to fix it? The devs? (although to be fair, I think Owlcat has done a decent job patching it, even if the original release was sketch)

Modders are the heroes we want and deserve.

....because they also make sex mods possible.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I believe Sawyer did the wrong thing in trying to make a 3.5-derived system that doesn't appeal to 3.5 fans,

Eh what? Sawyer never tried to make a 3.5-derived system (that appealed/didnt appeal to 3.5 fans)

He tried to make a 4.0-derived system (like the encounter powers) that appealed to everyone (impossible task). So its no wonder that PoE turned out so poor.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Mods will fix it (tm).

I mean, who else is going to fix it? The devs? (although to be fair, I think Owlcat has done a decent job patching it, even if the original release was sketch)

Modders are the heroes we want and deserve.

....because they also make sex mods possible.

Yes, the devs, they've been (very) slowly but surely fiixing all the bugs.

Call of the Wild mod has roughly doubled build options but no one has gotten into the KM or story yet.

Skdursh

Savant
I feel like we need to have more "balanced" reviews on the CODEX so I hereby propose the following solution.

We will have 3 people review the game:
1. A belligerent fanboy who clearly ignores any and all faults of the game; willing to rabidly and illogically defend any aspect of it at all costs.
2. A pessimistic contrarian who will shit all over the game for any perceived or imagined fault that it may or may not have. They hate the game simply because you love it.
3. Someone who clearly did not play the game and whose only knowledge about it comes from reading forum discussions or reviews made by others concerning it.

So far for this review we have number 3, but I am absolutely certain we can find 1 and 2 here by the end of the day.

:smug:

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I feel like we need to have more "balanced" reviews on the CODEX so I hereby propose the following solution.

1. A belligerent fanboy who clearly ignores any and all faults of the game; willing to rabidly and illogically defend any aspect of it at all costs.
2. A pessimistic contrarian who will shit all over the game for any perceived or imagined fault that it may or may not have. They hate the game simply because you love it.
3. Someone who clearly did not play the game and whose only knowledge about the game comes from reading forum discussions or reviews made by others concerning it.

So far we only have number 3 for this Kingmaker review, but I am absolutely certain we can find 1 and 2 here by the end of the day.

You're missing the more important perspective that the codex needs:

4. Someone who thinks Skyrim is the pinnacle of RPG design and writing, hates reading dialogue, disregards turn-based combat as boring, and says "lulwat" at RTwP.

Also, their favorite RPG of the last 5 years is Assassin's Creed Odyssey.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
NJClaw English is not my native language, and I am bad at writing even in Russian. But thanks for believing in me.

P.S.: Also, I really, reallly hate dogs.
What the hell kind of Russian are you?
iu

iu
iu

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
After watching the BG-3 stream I have to say: the Larian team has much more robust and powerful engine behind their game. Not in terms of Unity or what not, but in terms of handling code changes and testing them. They allow themselves crazy amount of permutations, and they are sure that they can implement it correctly and without errors. May be they are right. Unfortunately, they are still making what looks like Dvinity-3.

So IMHO architectural and development deficiencies are the worst part of Pathfinder: Kingmaker and my biggest concern for WotR. Owlcats need a very solid foundation to be able to do what they want to do and not patch the game every week for half a year. I hope they will have at least some semblance of such foundation in the second game.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Listen. All I want is to live in a world where Owlcat doesn't break my game with every patch they ship out. It's ludicrous that a patch can break shit that it's supposed to fix. Then the new patch will somehow break the old shit that they fixed.

Murk

Arcane
Furthermore, the portrait artist has a big problem with drawing feet correctly, though at least this isn't a problem one will notice for most of the game.

:hmmm:

Roguey

You're a weird guy.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I'm not really impressed with this review. Too little depth on what the gameplay and combat actually feels like, the writing seems worse than you give it credit for based on those screenshots, and the way the game does alignment-based dialogue options is pretty fucking bad. I also find it strange that you would rate a game as "I never want to play this again" but still call it a rough diamond. It makes you sound like you are afraid of running afoul of the Codex consensus, which is retarded, because here on the Codex we tend to be pretty big on telling it straight not being afraid of stepping on people's toes.

Not trying to defend Roguey here but he does have a history of enjoying the 'mainstream' RPGs of this type, even Tyranny and TToN. It is of no surprise to me that he also said he enjoyed Kingmaker. I wouldn't really read too much into the fact that he said he never wants to play it again because I imagine if asked he might give a similar answer about replaying some of those RPGs as well.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
I wonder if I should try this or just wait for a more sleek sequel. I hear the kingdom stuff is boring. But the game itself and the turn based system looks pretty nice.

They could try and make the 3d models better. POE ones look gorgeous in both 1 and 2. say what you want about poe its a pretty game.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

3. Someone who clearly did not play the game and whose only knowledge about the game comes from reading forum discussions or reviews made by others concerning it.

So far we only have number 3 for this Kingmaker review, but I am absolutely certain we can find 1 and 2 here by the end of the day.

4. Someone who thinks Skyrim is the pinnacle of RPG design and writing, hates reading dialogue, disregards turn-based combat as boring, and says "lulwat" at RTwP.

Wouldn't that just be an IGN or Polygon review?

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

Wouldn't that just be an IGN or Polygon review?

Polygon review will be about politics or hurt feel-feels.

IGN will be about shilling.

Honestly I'd rather have a Skyrim fanboy than either.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
They could try and make the 3d models better. POE ones look gorgeous in both 1 and 2. say what you want about poe its a pretty game.

I think Kingmaker looks better than both PoEs, though there's nothing terribly wrong with the latter. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom