Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
And it will stay private. croberts has no interest in this ever going public, with all the extra scrutiny of financials, and all that nonsense of fiduciary duty to shareholders. He might want to find someone rich & stupid to flog off as much of it as possible, when selling jpgs finally collapses. Though given how long it already lasted, I don't think it's going to be anytime soon.

Myobi

Liturgist
Stumbled upon this in reddit:

https://archive.org/details/StrikeCommanderManual/page/n45/mode/2up

In hindsight, knowing what a truly Herculean task Strike Commander turned into, the heartache and disappointment it created when its release date was constantly pushed back, and the amount of time from our personal lives that it consumed, we probably should have designed it differently. We wouldn't have tried to do quite as much or shot quite as high. In our arrogance we had set out to create something that was not only better than everything else, it was several orders of magnitude better. And it was several orders of magnitude more expensive as well — in fact, the most expensive game ORIGIN has ever developed. Like Francis Ford Coppola and his film crew on Apocalypse Now, we knew we were in way over our heads, but we also knew there was no turning back.

Then, we also have Freelancer:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freelancer_(video_game)

By the end of 1997, it was officially announced that Freelancer was in the early stages of a two-and-a-half-year development schedule.[36]

Two years later, the project was displayed at GameStock, an annual showcase to the mass media of Microsoft's games.[37] The media covered the event, focusing on the features promised for this game. There were concerns about the state of the graphics and uncertainties over the promise of a dynamic economy, but gaming site GameSpot gave Roberts and his company, Digital Anvil, the benefit of their doubts.[38] Initially in 1999, Roberts announced the game would be available on the market by fall 2000.[34] However, the project suffered delays and by Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) 2000, Roberts said the earliest release for the game was at the end of 2001.[5]

In June 2000, Microsoft started talks to buy Digital Anvil. Roberts admitted that his team required large sums of money, which only a huge company could provide, to continue developing Freelancer with its "wildly ambitious" features and unpredictable schedule; the project had overshot its original development projection of three years by 18 months. Roberts trusted that Microsoft would not compromise his vision for Freelancer, and was convinced the software giant would not attempt the takeover if it did not believe Freelancer could sell at least 500,000 copies when released.[39] Roberts left the company on completion of the deal, but assumed a creative consultant role on Freelancer until its release.[40] Microsoft instructed Digital Anvil to scale down the ambitions of the project and focus on finishing the game based on what was possible and the team's strengths.[13][19] Features such as the automated flight control, conversations that had different choices of responses, and sub-quests were abandoned.[12] Despite the reductions, several reviewers believed the resultant product was still true to Roberts' vision.[5][13]

The Freelancer team kept a low profile throughout 2001 before displaying a demo of their latest work at International Games Festival 2002, drawing large crowds. Microsoft announced the project was on schedule,[41] and Digital Anvil added all the planned content for the game by October 2002. A beta test with approximately 500 testers was conducted,[4] and the only main activities left were to refine the game's features and to fix errors uncovered in the testing.[4] The game shipped to retailers on March 4, 2003.

Eli_Havelock

Learned
And it will stay private. croberts has no interest in this ever going public, with all the extra scrutiny of financials, and all that nonsense of fiduciary duty to shareholders. He might want to find someone rich & stupid to flog off as much of it as possible, when selling jpgs finally collapses. Though given how long it already lasted, I don't think it's going o be anytime soon.

I think these folks are still drawing dividends.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Imagine, even being a billionaire, giving a company $46M and five years later that company is still dicking around with your money.

Modron

Arcane
They've probably already got a full return on that investment and then some the way tards keep throwing money at CIG.

Living up to their mission statement:

image.png

Perkel

Arcane
I still don't understand how they are able to get so much money yearly. 2020 is around where the game became playable and you can see instant spike.

tg0ve3ws3d3b1.png

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
'Think of how stupid the average person is and realize, half the people are stupider than that!' - George Carlin

Also they probably launder money - Me

Eli_Havelock

Learned
where the game became playable
...It did?

Getting killed by the physics is now a feature.

I can’t remember the last time my toon died due to a mistake I made. I still keep dying over and over.​

Killed by beds, killed by stairs, killed tripping over, killed by a box while moving it, killed when ship thinks i’m outside, not in, killed by invisible asteroids, killed by wind, killed for no reason whatsoever, killed by hangar doors, killed by invisible wrecks in hangars, killed by random hangar explosion, killed by train, killed by airlock door, killed by elevators, killed by simply walking in a ship.
I love this game but holy shit it’s fucked.

iT's aN aLpHa!

Dhaze

Cipher

Thank you for linking this. It is so damn funny.

You are either making half of these up or are extremely unlucky
Stairs dont kill people since three patches, dieing to wind can happen but automatically revives you if it happens since 3.17, invisible asteroods are there but very rare to actually hit
If you cant habdle it, you dont need to play right now, the game is definitely bugged, but still playable

"Stairs dont kill people since three patches." Meaning it took the devs years to make it so that simply walking on stairs doesn't result in your character's sudden death.

But "dieing to wind can happen but automatically revives you if it happens since 3.17" might be even funnier. Indicating that the devs can't fix the problem of wind—fucking wind—randomly killing characters, so now they're automatically revived when it happens.

This thread is also worth a read through. TL;DR:

– hangar bay doors being visually open when they are in fact still closed;
– minuscule ship parts/debris floating in the air, not being subjected to physics because that would overlad the servers, and persisting longer than the ship to which they should be attached, leading to collisions on takeoff or landing;
– ships colliding with parts of themselves;
– ships glitching through the hangar floor;
– ships taking no damage whatsoever when rammed into something a full speed;
– spaceflight-worthy ships getting absolutely wrecked to oblivion by the most minuscule collision with a pebble at subsonic speed.

This after a decade of development. No matter what one thinks of Star Citizen it does deliver some good, hearty laughs when looked at from a safe, non-financially-involved distance.

Eli_Havelock

Learned

THIS. THIS is the game: enjoying the gag reel of shit everything funded by people who will still keep coping it's an alpha 20 years out and still only one sector for a space sim.

7mhylk.gif

Eli_Havelock

Learned
Roberts doesn't exactly have a good track record when it comes to creating well-polished games, he's rather the kind of dev who steps into a room filled with all of the actual devs and starts spouting ideas everywhere to the point where the project becomes bloated, inefficient, and stands a snowball's chance in hell to actually be finished in the way that it was originally intended to be. (See Freelancer for the prime example)

Chris Roberts departed the Freelancer development team years before it was released. He can't see a project through to completion when he's not even there. Clearly, you're well-informed on this subject.

CR is renown in the industry and among his fans for pretty much the exact opposite of what you suggest, namely getting games done and getting them done properly according to a unified vision which he's adept at conveying to his team.
That means sack CR and wait a few years for things to come together by the teams being inspired from finally having someone competent leading. When the written confession of Strike Commander manual gets memory-holed, we're in for a treat.

I now want to hear how Blaine would describe Chris Roberts' use of Bullet Time in the Wing Commander movie.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
And it will stay private. croberts has no interest in this ever going public, with all the extra scrutiny of financials, and all that nonsense of fiduciary duty to shareholders. He might want to find someone rich & stupid to flog off as much of it as possible, when selling jpgs finally collapses. Though given how long it already lasted, I don't think it's going o be anytime soon.

I think these folks are still drawing dividends.
You can have a limited partnership etc. Selling some stock to private and sophisticated investors doesn't trigger same scrutiny from regulators as listing on a exchange.

What happened to Squadron42 hm

Was the original game that was promised (the multiplayer was supposed to be an addon you could mess around in after you beat the campaign if you liked the gameplay). Kickstarter was successful and stretch goal after stretch goal was created for the multiplayer game, which also impacted SQ42 such as FPS combat. Eventually the multiplayer overtook SQ42 as the thing CIG was focused on and promoting.

SQ42's development has been rebooted at least twice. Last time we heard about SQ42 was 2019. After that CIG went radio silent. Eventually people insistently asked on the forums for an update to the point that during the summer of 2020, gaming news outlets began to pick up on it. CIG then promptly responded with a mass banwave of the forums of anyone poking their head up to ask about SQ42 progress, and Chris Promised that he would do a quarterly livestream on the state of SQ42 development. He did one livestream in Fall 2020 and had a level designer show off a space station level he was designing, but Chris didn't answer anything about the overall state of SQ42 or why it was apparently rebooted or what is the hold up. Then we never got more quarterly livestreams like he promised, and that was the last we have heard of SQ42. SC fanboys have been pushing the cope that "CIG is secretly working on SQ42 in secret, and one day they are going to drop a big announcement and it will be glorious!", which makes zero sense from a business perspective. If CIG had good news it would be in their best interest to share it, just as CIG had no good news to share about the state of server meshing ("We have a working prototype of server meshing in Spring 2019 guys!" => never mentions it again) and it wasn't until two years ago that they quietly admitted at a Citizencon that it wasn't going to be the magic fix that they had promised and that the servers might not ever be more than they are now.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Roberts doesn't exactly have a good track record when it comes to creating well-polished games, he's rather the kind of dev who steps into a room filled with all of the actual devs and starts spouting ideas everywhere to the point where the project becomes bloated, inefficient, and stands a snowball's chance in hell to actually be finished in the way that it was originally intended to be. (See Freelancer for the prime example)

Chris Roberts departed the Freelancer development team years before it was released. He can't see a project through to completion when he's not even there. Clearly, you're well-informed on this subject.

CR is renown in the industry and among his fans for pretty much the exact opposite of what you suggest, namely getting games done and getting them done properly according to a unified vision which he's adept at conveying to his team.
This did not age well at all. It's aged so badly that I feel obligated to shame my own self by quoting it again.

Eli_Havelock You want my take? My take is that I don't care anymore. It's been a decade since I wrote this, and going on a year now since I've played any kind of electronic game. The hobby is flatlined, as far as I'm concerned.

2013 was a promising time, near the beginning of the crowdfunded computer game bubble. Since then, many once well-regarded developers have proved to be huge disappointments, and their projects too. Hopes were dashed, dreams crushed, millions of dollarydoos wasted, etc.

Last edited:

Myobi

Liturgist
"Chris Roberts departed the Freelancer development team years before it was released. He can't see a project through to completion when he's not even there. Clearly, you're well-informed on this subject."

:shredder:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom