Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

OndrejSc

Royal Mystic
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
20 years to ad Polish. Can they not just release and ad translations later?

Perkel

Arcane
CTDs on server side
How can you crash to desktop on a server ? Are they running their shit on win11 workstations ?

Hosts are just like any other software. If you have bugs in software it can ctd.

---

On other subject. I'm not particular fan of mmo games and I wanted to check biggest mmos populations on single instance. From what I read EVE has the record with 6600 players on single instance in one system fighting a war.

Though EVE has something called "time dilation" which is effectively just a name for servers slowing down game time instance to cope with bigger amount of players.

If CIG will be able to run 2000-3000 players in single system it will be already hitting top 10 mmos single instance limits.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
From your previous posts it does seem like SC right now also slows time down to cope with many players (no longer minutes per action though :D).

TD felt ok-ish in EVE, because it's not a first player twitch game. Can't imagine having TD in a game when I'm supposed to fly a ship in first person...

Perkel

Arcane
2000-3000 players in a single system... spread trough how many servers/shards?

Right now 4-6 servers for 500-1000 people. They tried to go for 2k last test but bugs crapped out 1000 test and they decided to lower it down for rest of 24h test. They will be doing another test next week with new fixes.

The end goal is dynamic scaling. Meaning that if 100 players are in city then maybe 1 server will be ok. If 10 000 people will decide to be in that city then place will be dynamically split between servers to handle properly 10 000 players. So your flat might be server, corridor might be different server, each floor of building can be different server etc.
If there is some plaza then half of plaza might be one server and other half other server.

All without instancing and with players being able to interact with each other through server borders as if servers never existed in first place.

From your previous posts it does seem like SC right now also slows time down to cope with many players (no longer minutes per action though :D).

TD felt ok-ish in EVE, because it's not a first player twitch game. Can't imagine having TD in a game when I'm supposed to fly a ship in first person...
It's not really slowing time, it is just that some of actions are get queued and don't happen in instant. So you can shoot walk normally but stuff will register long after you walked away shoot whatever. EVE time dilation is outright slowdown of gametime. As in gametime slows down to rate of server response.

And either way that delay seems to be fixed in last test. People reported almost instant response on 1000 player shard as long as server/client didn't CTD. So the progress been from 10-15 minutes for response --> 1-5 minutes --> almost instant.

Tech isn't ready yet but seems that every week they make major improvements. And that's the jesus tech CIG has been harping about for past... like what ? 6-7 years ?

Next major milestone will be server meshing inside of single place like city. So like 4 servers handling single building or one plaza with people shooting each other between those servers etc.

ADL

Prophet
The way I've always understood it is that high player density server meshing is only relevant to high traffic locations like landing zones and locations where key public events are taking place. Keep in mind they'll prioritize "connections" (think Facebook friends of friends you may know this person algorithm) so you'll be with your friends/org members and in law neutral/open PvP zones they'll prioritize groups that are hostile to your organization.

There's not really a need for 1000 players in an asteroid belt unless there's some key event going on there so they'll probably cap that out at lower, more responsive numbers for gameplay purposes. In the vast majority of locations it's just seamless matchmaking between much smaller counts of players.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom