Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

Riskbreaker

Now that looks eminently relevant to my interests.
I'm getting a bit of PSX King's Field vibe from some of those screens too - they remind me of those old KF fan-games made in SoM editor.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Now that looks eminently relevant to my interests.
I'm getting a bit of PSX King's Field vibe from some of those screens too - they remind me of those old KF fan-games made in SoM editor.

Made a thread about this game because it deserves more attention. It's criminally underrated - only 58 reviews in total on Steam, and it's been out since October 2021.
Especially for an indie game made by a tiny studio this is top quality.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
lVNbMct.jpg

"Daddy fingered me" just does not sound right.

ELqy9qH.jpg

Eldenborne Souls 4

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I love Dishonored, but I had to rate your post decline because you left the quest markers on like a faggot.

Absolutely disgusting and utterly revolting.
I can't remember, does dishonored give you enough direction to know where to go without quest markers or do you have to stumble around clicking on stuff until you find what you're supposed to do?

Dishonored 1 and 2 are the best modern games when it comes to being playable without markers.
The only times I needed to switch them back on were in Dishonored 1 when you return to your base and are supposed to meet with a specific ally, but the text doesn't tell you where he's waiting for you (like "Meet with Havelock" but he's not in his room, and it doesn't tell you that he's standing ouside on the pier).

Other than that, the games feel like they were designed without quest markers in mind. Level design is non-linear but still points you in the right direction by proper use of viewing angles and landmarks.
Non-lethal solutions to your assassination quests are always unknown at the start of a mission and you learn about them as you play. They always give you enough hints in eavesdropped dialogs or found texts that you know exactly what you have to do.
Markers are completely unnecessary in any of the Dishonored games, from the first one and its DLC to Dishonored 2 and Death of the Outsider.

In fact, if it weren't for people posting screenshots and videos with markers in them, I wouldn't even know that markers exist as an option in the games, due to how well they play without them.
When I couldn't find Havelock in that example above (where he was standing outside but didn't tell you he'd be there), my first solution wasn't to switch on markers... I googled "Where is Havelock after [mission name]" and was surprised that I couldn't find any thread on the internet talking about it, because I completely forgot that markers even exist in the game.

Drop Duck

Learned
I love Dishonored, but I had to rate your post decline because you left the quest markers on like a faggot.

Absolutely disgusting and utterly revolting.
I can't remember, does dishonored give you enough direction to know where to go without quest markers or do you have to stumble around clicking on stuff until you find what you're supposed to do?
The first time I played the game I left them off and had a horrible experience since characters don't tell you where to find things. Since the game was made with consoles in mind first and foremost the game is also not like Thief: The Dark Project and levels are split up into smaller levels. First time I played the flooded district maps for example I had no idea I was supposed to enter another level to get my weapons and tools back so I completely missed that. I also didn't know if going to Slackjaw was a route to the Golden Cat or not, so I just went directly to it and missed a part of that area of the game.

Map marker elitism doesn't mesh well with a casual title like Dishonored anyway, even if it was as good as Thief in that department the game makes the player so overpowered that it doesn't matter. I cleared out all areas with ease on the highest difficulty and it's not like removing the map markers would have made that any more difficult.
Non-lethal solutions to your assassination quests are always unknown at the start of a mission and you learn about them as you play. They always give you enough hints in eavesdropped dialogs or found texts that you know exactly what you have to do.
Map markers in this case let you know what to avoid, not where to go. Like the meeting room the high overseer is going to appear in. If you're just stumbling around you can trigger the event there before you discover the non-lethal way of dealing with him. You go through the non-marked areas first.

toughasnails

Those Dishonored pics look off, almost like there was some UE texture streaming fuck-up. I might be misremembering but I'm reasonably sure that the game looked better than that.

Riskbreaker

From Golden Light:
zCevTz8.jpg

:hmmm:

Also, whilst the dev goes by the name of Mr. Pink I've found some damning evidence as to his real identity.

ODyIfvM.jpg

Why, oh why, are you hiding behind the you fellow's handle, eh JarlFrank?

CootKeeper

Augur
Konung 1 The legends of the North

ZoC21e4.jpg

Here we go.

gdSPZUR.jpg

I chose Erik the Viking. This is the character sheet. Don't be fooled there's not much customisation. You choose one of 4 classes and one of 3 skills between bartering / identification / alchemy. That's it. You don't get to distribute points and anything of the sort.

eINhAqc.jpg

It looks OK but you can definitely see the texture tiling in the grassy areas. You can't enter the buildings but luckily everyone just stands outside for a neverending cigarette break

alHMs6p.jpg

Trees look good in general. The rest not so much

gBUHHIx.jpg

The writing in generally was pretty enjoyable. this is one aspect where the game really shines I think

amNK31u.jpg

My last pic. I had a fight with 6 level 4 skeletons which required to empty my complete set of health potions to beat them. I gave up right after as I wasn't having any fun.

The game was a bitch to get going. I played on my laptop and it didn't recognise my trackpad, so I had to use a mouse. Music has to be turned off or the game crashes after a couple minutes playing. The gamespeed is super slow and to speed it up the keybind is the '+' key on the numpad, so make sure you have an extended keyboard to play with.

It's not much fun. :2/5: +1 point for the writing.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
Vane is so pretentious.

20220324002107-1.jpg

This is what it looks like in dark places. Very grainy. But the grain is frozen. They can't even imitate movies well. Film lovers hate frozen grain. If the idea is the murkiness of seeing in the dark, that's a lot finer.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom