Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

hayst

Educated
Wizardry 8 run with pregen characters.
1QvhFq1.jpg
aLCRawv.jpg
wXqTGtd.jpg

Semiurge

Cipher
You have ruined it with those abominable scanlines.
Nah, you're just too stupid to open the images in native res and see how subtle they are.

Of course I clicked them to native res. Why bother modernizing it with ReShade plugins, only to simulate a CRT flaw? The only benefit is that the lines help hide the aliasing of the blurry textures.

Last edited:

Arthandas

Prophet
Of course I clicked them to native res.
If you just clicked them, then they're not anywhere near native res :roll:
I don't know your monitor or browser, so just save any of the screenshots and open it in Paint, then you'll see.
Why bother modernizing it
I'm using CRT-Royale, that's literally opposite of modernizing...
Also, I'm not going into "why emulate scanlines" territory, it has been done to death already.

schru

Arcane
To be exact, isn't that an aperture grille pattern rather than scan lines?

The resolution used is probably still a little insufficient to give that shader enough pixels to work with, 2160p being preferable.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
To be exact, isn't that an aperture grille pattern rather than scan lines?

The resolution used is probably still a little insufficient to give that shader enough pixels to work with, 2160p being preferable.
If you're using ReShade for CRT-Royale, I read that you should use normal resolution. Those lines look too small to me.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
TR1 via Tomb1Main (TR1 Community Edition) + CRT Royale from ReShade

Open in full 2560x1440 resolution otherwise the scanlines will be fucked up.

Tomb1-Main-2023-01-14-12-19-21.png

Tomb1-Main-2023-01-15-13-22-57.png

Tomb1-Main-2023-01-15-16-57-01.png

Tomb1-Main-2023-01-15-17-04-36.png

Tomb1-Main-2023-01-15-17-32-14.png

Heavy NSFW
Tomb1-Main-2023-01-14-12-29-06.png

Tomb1-Main-2023-01-15-13-17-03.png

You have ruined it with those abominable scanlines.
The funniest part is that he uses scanlines to emulate the original style, but also uses a mod that increases view distance because in vanilla TR1 you couldn't see all the way down from the top in St. Francis' Folly.

What is it, bro? Either commit to authenticity fully or don't do it at all. No half-assing.

Arthandas

Prophet
he uses scanlines to emulate the original style
No, I don't. I use scanlines because I like how they look against bare ps1 textures. Without them the game feels artificially clean.
uses a mod that increases view distance
That "mod" is an engine reimplementation that strives to fix every single bug in the game and allows it to be played on modern hardware. Increased view distance is just a nice extra.
commit to authenticity fully or don't do it at al
I don't give a shit about authenticity, I make the game look and play how I want it to look and play.

Semiurge

Cipher
If you just clicked them, then they're not anywhere near native res :roll:
I don't know your monitor or browser, so just save any of the screenshots and open it in Paint, then you'll see.

Yes I noticed that the Xenforo image viewer doesn't seem to show them in the exact native resolution, it's close but seems as if the size is decreased slightly. Or it could be native. Either way I opened the images in a new tab where they get displayed as is, and they look the same regardless. The lines are not subtle.

I'm using CRT-Royale, that's literally opposite of modernizing...
Also, I'm not going into "why emulate scanlines" territory, it has been done to death already.

The interlacing of the FMVs was always a nuisance, so I can't imagine why anyone would want to apply the same on the game itself. The retro look is only acceptable when it doesn't diminish the visual quality. If the blurry vanilla textures are a problem, they can either be replaced, or you could disable all texture filtering to make the game look crisp.

Last edited:

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Well, I've got a full party of adventurers: I'm the mage, I have a healer (dark elf), an archer (another dark elf), two warriors (one an orc), and even a vampire in my party. I can fully control their inventory, how they fight, etc. Each has his or her own mount and bedroll.

I have to use careful planning of both tactics and strategy when it comes to attaining my goals, which are complex and far-reaching (compared to just facerolling through stock Skyrim). For example, attaining the incredibly powerful Staff of Magnus was an utter failure the first time I attempted it, and I needed to plan and grow for months of in-game time before I was ready to attempt it again, which took every bit of effort I could muster.

There are concerns for resource management, survival, storage, and even comfort. I own one home in one of the cities which is very thoughtfully designed and accessorized. I also as the new Archmage of the spell college have access to (compared to vanilla Skyrim) an amazing abode at the school's upper levels.

If all of these things were presented in an RPG that was both isometric and turn-based, you'd probably call it inclined.

Am I saying Skyrim is inclined? No. But I am saying Wildlander -- especially the way I'm playing it -- sure feels like actual Dungeons and Dragons, or nearly as close as a computer simulation of it can get.

COME AT ME, BRO.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Well, I've got a full party of adventurers; I'm the mage, I have a healer (dark elf), an archer (another dark elf), two warriors (one an orc), and even a vampire in my party. I can fully control their inventory, how they fight, etc. Each has his or her own mount and bedroll.

I have to use careful planning of both tactics and strategy when it comes to attaining my goals, which are complex and far-reaching (compared to just facerolling through stock Skyrim). For example, attaining the incredibly powerful Staff of Magnus was an utter failure the first time I attempted it, and I needed to plan and grow for months of in-game time before I was ready to attempt it again, which took every bit of effort I could muster.

There are concerns for resource management, survival, storage, and even comfort. I own one home in one of the cities which is very thoughtfully designed and accessorized. I also as the new Archmage of the spell college have access to (compared to vanilla Skyrim) an amazing abode at the school's upper levels.

If all of these things were presented in an RPG that was both isometric and turn-based, you'd probably call it inclined.

Am I saying Skyrim is inclined? No. But I am saying Wildlander -- especially the way I'm playing it -- sure feels like actual Dungeons and Dragons, or nearly as close as a computer simulation of it can get.

COME AT ME, BRO.
Who asked?

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
I never understood people who spend hours modding elder scrolls games, a polished turd is still a turd. That said, I'm not gonna spend my time doing the developer's work, I play my games vanilla, if it sucks then the game sucks, I'm not gonna try and fix it for them.

But if I do enjoy the game I'm happy to install mods to enhance the experience, but what's the point of these big overhaul mods.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Painkiller - Supernatural 2.0
Don't be deceived by "2.0" numeration because it's still neither polished nor finished. And most likely won't be - it's been years since its release.

me after playing this mod
4GkR3d0.jpg

Played that one to see if the maps from other Painkiller games (not released by original creators, but fans and modders) in more polished form. Turns out they were only a bit better than original (mostly by cutting down loading times, unless you save in certain spots which cause makes loading way longer for some reasons), but still with some shit ideas because modders gonna modders of course. Add that soviet sadomasochistic tendencies from STALKER mods and you can get the picture.
Speaking of STALKER there's power plant level with anomalies - both effects and sounds borrowed from GSC production.

Some requirements for tarot cards were quite brutal. No souls or ammo collected on 500+ mobs maps? Truly Pain and Killer...
Surprisingly one level that requires all secrets was easy, except one. Why?
Invisible walls.
If you check any gameplay videos with secrets hunting (or you've played the game yourself) you would see a lot of bunny hopping, jumping and hugging obstacles/walls to reach the higher points.
This modder was toxic and sadistic enough to put random invisible walls (or even "death zones" that nuke your character, forcing reload your save) making the hunt even more obnoxious. Bonus point for putting them near death zones like water or spikes or deadly heights. You won't see them, making the whole ordeal more confusing and obnoxious.
tonMhKz.jpg

see this one? You could easily jump there even without bunny hopping, but some invisible wall is here and you just fall like a bitch.
Oh and this mod adds even more secrets to the levels.

First level from final chapter requires 3 shortcuts to be found. After wasting hours, in a level that should take at most 15min, I've realized way too late that you can't get that card without cheating. You have to either beat the level or get the shortcuts, which in turn get you stuck because scripts are breaking. With the powers of Powermad mod you activate noclip, get the shortcut, return to the previous position and continue.

z7fl8Rh.jpg

this is the whole collection, no more levels to beat. Nice sorting btw.
No idea what Perfect Warrior gives, or random artifacts around the maps. No text or visual changes, nothing.

There's X-Files section avaiable with more maps, some of them bugged and unfinished. Those working are quite brutal, throwing a lot of accurate shooting enemies.
LGHaw0H.jpg

jAwjuI2.jpg

QliDV5R.jpg

rFEyMSE.jpg

0idJLH5.jpg

still got the card

There are other PK mods (Reload, Lost Alpha, Fear Factor and others) but they are similar - some changes and sadistic difficulty level, especially secrets. Which explains why commercial Painkillers like Recurring Evil, Redemption and Resurrection (none of the made by original team People Can Fly) were garbage.
There are some things from Necrovision like vampiric rifles+magic gauntlet and some enemies.
Plus OP rifles from alpha/beta version of PK.
They share the engine, which makes assets porting easier. Similar case with Metro assets in STALKER mods even though it's not officialy confirmed that they share the code.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom