Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
image.png
Dave The Diver

ferratilis

Magister
Done with normal. DLC first, then Elite. This has been the most fun playthrough I've had so far, Demolitionist + Inquisitor. I found several +4 items for my build, even though it's just normal diff.
20230717220126-1.jpg

Got roasted by a god.
20230717183902-1.jpg

20230717183907-1.jpg

You'll never see this in Diablo 4.
20230718124446-1.jpg

spekkio

Arcane
Vandal Hearts (PS1)

Pros:
  • Simple yet fun Fire Emblem clone,
  • Nice and distinctive early 3D graphics,
  • 0 grinding (no side missions or training)
  • Crazy dimension-traveling plot.
Cons:
  • Unintuitive interface, esp. in shops.
  • Very basic itemization.
  • Archers & Mages >>> other jobs
Verdict: :4/5:

Oh, right - screenshots. :roll:

Obligatory "fight atop of the volacano" stage

vandalheartsu-230701-n3ej6.jpg

5 armored units vs. 1 mage - obvious outcome...

vandalheartsu-230701-9rcln.jpg

vandalheartsu-230702-8fi8w.jpg

:obviously:

Getting the goods:

vandalheartsu-230716-vjf4f.jpg

vandalheartsu-230716-wrct7.jpg

:yeah:

Failed diplomacy check:

vandalheartsu-230717-gsff8.jpg

vandalheartsu-230717-b3cid.jpg

:roll:

Just look at the time!

vandalheartsu-230717-hsi93.jpg

:incline:

vandalheartsu-230718-shdgg.jpg

vandalheartsu-230718-gcfy6.jpg

:dance:

Now the obligatory "post-credits" scene:

vandalheartsu-230718-fvf6e.jpg

yes.png

And we're done.

vandalheartsu-230718-fvf74.jpg

After over 16 hours.

vandalheartsu-230718-6mijs.jpg

I really miss the 90ies in gaming. Fantastic period full of creativity. Now most games look, feel and play the same.

*Edit:

When archiving my saves, I've realized that last time I played the game was over 20 years ago:

2023-07-1911_57_41-toewegw.png

:cry:

Last edited:

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
This has been the most fun playthrough I've had so far, Demolitionist + Inquisitor
That was also the same class combo of my choice, fun times. Out of curiosity how's the Oathkeeper, any good combos for this class? (in case I decide to return to it)

ferratilis

Magister
This has been the most fun playthrough I've had so far, Demolitionist + Inquisitor
That was also the same class combo of my choice, fun times. Out of curiosity how's the Oathkeeper, any good combos for this class? (in case I decide to return to it)
I have only played Oathkeeper once, in combination with Nightblade, this is the build I tried to follow, but couldn't quite make it work. Not that it was bad, it just got boring after a while.
https://www.grimtools.com/calc/nZo4LEEN

It also has damage overlap with Soldier, Demolitionist, and Occultist, so you might go for those. I would pick Soldier + Oathkeeper honestly.
If you don't want to go sword and board, I heard it pairs well with Necromancer as well, something like this:
https://www.grimtools.com/calc/lNkor8RN

Be Kind Rewind

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
You'll never see this in Diablo 4.
It's interesting because the art director for Diablo 4 was none other than John Mueller, who in the past worked on less anemic games, such as SiN, the UT series and before he got gobbled up by Blizzard, the Darksiders games. People often like to say that it's the fault of the new blood within development studios and that they are responsible for how generic, toothless, by-the-numbers souless and woke games feel these days in terms of their art. Throughout the ages though the young artists would simply do whatever they are told in the studio of an experienced master and whatever Mueller said was law. The reality though isn't that the man suddely turned into a soyboy, rather this is simply what the (((people controlling finance))) want and the man isn't getting paid to put things for boys and men into video games anymore. Culture is always downstream from power.

Another thing that's interesting is that D4 more or less stole the design of Lilith from... Lilith from Darksiders 2, which was likely a Joe Madureira design. Not 1:1, mind you, but there are similarities.

0rk51oaf-h0ekfrk.jpg

Speaking of Mueller, SiN has languished in obscurity for a long time and is very forgotten when it comes to first person shooters these days. Partly because Half-Life overshadowed it on release, and partly because the modifications Ritual made to the Quake 2 engine made the game hard to run on modern systems until recently. They did fix compatibility issues for the Steam release recently, removed some censorship and included the expansion pack. Playing it in 2023 it is the better game, Half-Life as a cinematic shooter was okay, but SiN was the natural progression from the best of the genre, like Build games. Everything is interactive, levels are tight, there's location damage, visible wounds on enemies and just great shooting.

The level design in Half-Life was very much on rails, with little exploration being rewarded, few secrets and the meat of the game, the gunplay, was mediocre. SiN was a lot like the Duke Nukem Forever of 2001 that we never got, what you do in one level affects things in later levels, you can cut off routes and change the layout of levels by your decisions. Blow up an underwater powerplant in one optional section you get to by exploring and not going directly to your main objective in one area and much later you'll be met by lava floods instead of water in the jungle.

If there ever was an underrated shooter then it's SiN, with usable terminals, that 90's edge and design sensibilities, the entire game focusing on making shooting and blowing things up satisfying. That this branch of the genre didn't see much in a followup, with SiN 2 turning into the cancelled Episodes (even if the first one was good), DNF suffering development hell so long it turned into a console shooter and all the other studios that cut their teeth by making id Software third party content, like Raven, shut their doors or started making shovelware.

We did get a nice offering from Human Head with the real Prey before Bethesda scammed and killed the company during Prey 2's development. The retroshooter meme resurgence of games pretending to be anything like 90's shooters also gave us the rare genuine deal with Ion Fury. There's also F.E.A.R. which did the highly interactive action-film shooter with an emphasis on new technology for perhaps the last time, with light sources being affected by the gunfights. Other than far between scraps like those the genre niche seems to be more or less dead these days, whereas in the late 90's everyone wanted to make one and there were multiple releases each year. Halo and the rise in popularity in console shooters killed it, and even Halo is now old school since all the money is in multiplayer live service games.

1y3i9v.png

2mziac.png

36ucp7.png

4xjevf.png

5xtc9k.png

7t4ie3.png

8z0il0.png
9fse68.png

1034eep.png

116bdyb.png

123kcaf.png

13e3dy7.png

14nxi69.png

159mflj.png

16aodhs.png

17doidd.png

18fgfag.png
19dpddd.png

20s1cgy.png

21ade7p.png

232vi9h.png

24hzihs.png

25awdhf.png

26jqfo1.png

27rzcyw.png

285xfgw.png

29qiech.png

308udu1.png

31a4fcc.png

d1r

Single handedly funding SMTVI
Patron
Last difficulty tier of D1HD is a little bit popamole.
qCJTtvG.png

Doesn't get any better in Caves
wE1U9Nk.png

Incredible itemization in D1HD. As soon as you get to LVL50, you get access to powerful crafts which are necessary to get through Torment difficulty.
MebWUd6.png

High lvl unique items of course help too
mdg1qpd.png

Zlaja

Arcane
Alan Wake Remastered

That's a mean thing to say about rusty
Alan-Wake-Remastered-20230717162533.jpg

Time for a vacation
Alan-Wake-Remastered-20230717163441.jpg

Mrs. Wake
Alan-Wake-Remastered-20230717165508.jpg

Fighting ghosts with a shotgun. As you should!
Alan-Wake-Remastered-20230717182412.jpg

This guy reminds me of certain someone
Alan-Wake-Remastered-20230717190539.jpg

Poor Maxie
Alan-Wake-Remastered-20230717191947.jpg

Vehicle sections. Yay!
Alan-Wake-Remastered-20230718193147.jpg

Last edited:

Gamezor

Learned
qCJTtvG.png

wE1U9Nk.png

Incredible itemization in D1HD. As soon as you get to LVL50, you get access to powerful crafts which are necessary to get through Torment difficulty.
MebWUd6.png

mdg1qpd.png
It seems like there's a few HD mods, which one is this one?

d1r

Single handedly funding SMTVI
Patron
qCJTtvG.png

wE1U9Nk.png

MebWUd6.png

mdg1qpd.png
It seems like there's a few HD mods, which one is this one?
Diablo 1 Belzebub

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom