Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
1723033729094.png

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Giving one last chance to Flightgear, checking the turbulence model (or its lack thereof) in a bugged bf-109 at Interlaken. Worth it for the Combat Flight Simulator nostalgia value :

fgfs-20240807191256.jpg

fgfs-20240807191848.jpg

Then, to clean my eyes, a quick run in DCS :

Screen_240807_215314.jpg

Not very realistic either to be honest but more pleasing.

Did a quick spin in the X-Plane 12 demo :

Screenshot 2024-08-08 004610.jpg

Looks good too, flight model is pleasant with fair amount of turbulences but it's somehow less challenging than DCS where there is very little margins around planes flight envelope.

v1c70r14

Educated
jWRl5S8.png

8crOu8F.png

2B5qyII.png

4YaGlCk.png

yWEo9jD.png

HVRScwi.png

World of Goo 2 was okay for the most part, but did we really need black drag queens in the highly abstract tower and bridge builder game for teens? They switched out smokes for "sparklers" and liquor for "milk" in the noir adventure segments, but a gay African in a wig sexually harassing the player stayed in? It's just not what I signed up for.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Urban Chaos: Riot Response

Not many people remember here older TPP game Urban Chaos, which was made by some ex-Bullfrog guys under Eidos as the publisher. This UC isn't a sequel, or any connection with it.

A first game made by Rocksteady Studios for consoles (PS2, Xbox), and it's an FPS. Interesting choice of a genre, considering the platform. I've used PCSX 2 with mouse+keyboard setup, which made the whole experience a lot smoother and easier in general. It's basically a shooter, which has an arcade feeling, where multiple weapons available and can gather even more from fallen enemies. There is a basic story connecting each mission, and play the role of Nick Mason. He is a member of the newly formed "T-Zero" riot control squad. There are some live cutscene news sequences telling us what is hapening in an unnamed modern American city. We must deal with the group calling itself the Burners, who are armed with cleavers, molotov bombs and firearms used to attack civilians, paramedics, firefighters and police officers. The game is cheesy when it comes to the story, but it works well enough, like in a older action movies.

Missions aren't long, but we got medal for doing a couple things, like arresting x number of people by using taser, or taking enough headshots. I've started playing on the hardest difficulty - Elite, so I could gather maximum number of medals. Thanks to them you upgrade power of your weapons, size of the clips, and more. You don't have to do everything on the checklist in a single run, and sometimes it's nearly impossible, but practice makes perfect. There is no randomization when it comes to enemy placement so you can learn the maps to make what I call a perfect run. Sometimes we need to guard fireman or medic who are on site with us helping us with the corresponding task.

If we use non lethal takedown on gang leader on normal missions, we unlock "Emergency". We have a hostage who needs to be rescued, and we have a limited time to do that. Really intense, and there is no way to unlock all the medals in one sitting. The difficulty goes up, and the last part, when we need to defuse a bomb is insane, when it comes to Burner numbers. But at the same time, it feels really satisfying.

Urban Chaos uses Havoc engine, which makes enemy flying all around and reacting to our methods of persuasion. Headshots are really satisfying, and have that oomph sound when are made. It's not Soldier of Fortune, but still feels good. Tasing, burning, stabbing, blowing - do what you want, just complete the mission. After completing Elite we get extra difficulty - Terror. We keep all the upgrades from previous one, so it's not that bad. And we got additional medals. I've checked myself - the last medal gave me minigun with unlimited ammo.

I had a lot of fun with this title - small in scope, but does everything right and isn't bloated with unnecessary components.

1acUrbanChaosRiotRespon.jpg

77UrbanChaosRiotRespon.jpg

fe5UrbanChaosRiotRespon.jpg

UrbanChaosRiotRespon.jpg

e0eUrbanChaosRiotRespon.jpg

329UrbanChaosRiotRespon.jpg

788UrbanChaosRiotRespon.jpg

42eUrbanChaosRiotRespon.jpg

e30UrbanChaosRiotRespon.jpg

314UrbanChaosRiotRespon.jpg

e3cUrbanChaosRiotRespon.jpg

710UrbanChaosRiotRespon.jpg

Yeoman

Educated
I've been playing Dark Souls 2 again lately, both the base game (SotFS) and with the Seeker of Fire mod. I'm not a big fan of the map progression changes of the mod, but I like its lighting changes that remove the washed out color grading/filter that SotFS uses and make the game a bit darker.

You can play SotFS with just the lighting changes of the mod, simply remove/backup all the other files and folders in the mod folder except for the "filter" folder.

Comparison shots (base game vs Seeker of Fire's lighting):
FCOU2av.jpeg

1yDamHa.jpeg

yY8GXdM.jpeg

fRyUIcR.jpeg

Random screenshots:
999kocp.jpeg

EoVqvmp.jpeg

pDdIdCZ.jpeg

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
us2mvf.png

Playing Tom Clancy's The Sum of All Fears (2002), this is so much like a Rainbow Six mod for Ghost Recon 1 than anything else tbh, it even uses GR1's engine. Even if it's inferior to both the earlier Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon games, it's still a blast of a tactical FPS to play.
You blurb about the game made me really want to play it (Had only ever played the demo back in the day) and I actually had a copy of it on my shelf, so I booted it up and you're spot on. Really enjoyable game and scratched that tactical FPS itch quite nicely. Very nice looking game too, for it's age, I regret a little bit playing it in widescreen though and not glorious 4:3.

Ov6gOlW.png

d1r

Single handedly funding SMTVI
Patron
Fallout New Vegas: TTW

B42 Description is doing wonders

e4rW8wv.jpeg

Max LOD from Tenpenny Tower
hCDm7V2.jpeg

UYroUnA.jpeg

ddsB1LO.jpeg

Scenery
QW2uKOU.jpeg

iRe0mR0.jpeg

fzfOgN0.jpeg

7MlfuTZ.jpeg

VOMmAfS.jpeg

Trading (Jimmy Hats)
0E8na5C.jpeg

XZ89Q1L.jpeg

Another month, another playthrough
jotoOHu.jpeg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom