Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Shin Megami Tensei V - It's been hurting my OCD.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
- you get her early
- very good resistances
- weak phys attack that lowers defense by TWO (very rare that anything buffs/debuffs more than 1)
- and the best thing is obviously this spammable attack

1719181639115.png

dunno I would not be surprised if she is the best demon overall in the whole game if you consider availability + power level

also regarding how good smt game this is it has number 3 vibes so far (1. strange journey 2. nocturne)

HoboForEternity

LIBERAL PROPAGANDIST
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I Just reached the second open world area. Lahmu was pretty easy compared to the previous bosses (especally the duo at the train station in tokyo) but i still died once due to unlucky crit

Retardo

Learned
- you get her early
- very good resistances
- weak phys attack that lowers defense by TWO (very rare that anything buffs/debuffs more than 1)
- and the best thing is obviously this spammable attack

View attachment 51554

dunno I would not be surprised if she is the best demon overall in the whole game if you consider availability + power level

also regarding how good smt game this is it has number 3 vibes so far (1. strange journey 2. nocturne)
I see, thanks.

Guess I got her too late, at lv 44. Will try using nevertheless

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
lahmu was the most disappointing boss so far
I expected it to
1719211602820.png

have it's second form like in smt5 now it was retardedly easy

d1r

Single handedly funding SMTVI
Patron
She was a DLC demon in V and it shows.
Yeah, every DLC demon is pretty buseted.
lahmu was the most disappointing boss so far
I expected it to
View attachment 51580

have it's second form like in smt5 now it was retardedly easy
Well, Sahori refused, so it was not possible for it to ascend to its true form. I don't really mind though. There are enough boss fights later on that will get you good. ;)

d1r

Patron
Just an information for those playing the Vengeance route regarding the routes:

Your choices in the dialogues throughout the game matter this time around.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
One thing I miss in Vengeance is the dungeon crawling and resource management feeling of Nocturne and IV-Apocalypse.

The world being so open and big you can dodge encounters easily, just fighting when you want at all times, even without Estoma. Feels less oppresive.

I know previous titles had Estoma, but in Nocturne MP is a real concern for a good amount of the game, and in IV-Apocalypse you don´t swim in MP until you get the app later in the game, which is also expensive.

Exploration is great in Vengeance, but I think the level design suffers in outdoors-indoors balance and having less variety in the level locations and landmarks. You just have a big area, which is very well designed and fun to explore, but looks almost the same everywhere, it's too open and it's not dangerous.

In Nocturne you have all the distinct dungeons with tricks and gimmicks between then, which made the journey more varied and fascinating.

Still a lot of game left so maybe some of these impressions change, but this what I think of Netherworld until Nuwa boss.

d1r

Patron
While resource management in SMTVV is pretty much non-existing, resource management in Nocturne became quite easy as well as soon as you got Daisoujou. But yes, I agree, every game after SMT3 pretty much suffers under the same problem of MP being way easy to recover (even OG Persona 5 felt more oppressive in the first castle and later dungeons on HARD).

The open world, and dungeons change quite a big later on. It's not just desert.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Finished Vengeance. I liked the new content, but in the end it didn't feel like there was enough of it. Now the game feels like a finished product rather than a game with an expansion. Even then the last act of Vengeance feels, once again, rushed and nonsensical. You could start to see a lack of polish toward the end cinematics as Nahobino would summon his finger blades instead of the side scythe while he had his new form on. They just swapped the model but didn't bother / have time to go back and touch up some of the older cinematics to have parity with the new content. It's a small detail but it shows a lack of care toward the end of the project which is also apparent in the story and pacing. Speaking of the new form there were some odd design choices like it not even being a permanent change. And I finally got one of the new spells added in Vengeance, but you only get it after finishing Taito. It was an OK spell but functionally it's just Murakumo that scales off of MAG instead of STR and is still worse since you have to land it on an enemy with full debuffs for it to take full effect (it scales off of how many debuffs the enemy has). Overall I was hoping for something more transformative, like another Apocalypse. What we got was what SMT5 should've been on its initial release.

Mini Edit: The music is completely nuts tho. Might be the best in the series and if not the best then very close to it. And this is a series with very tough competition in that particular department.

Last edited:

quixotic

Learned
You could start to see a lack of polish toward the end cinematics as Nahobino would summon his finger blades instead of the side scythe while he had his new form on.
He can still use the sword in the new form, that’s not an inconsistency. You just didn’t know because you were using a magic build.
Otherwise I’m pretty late into the game, at the last few bosses, and I agree. It kind of fizzles out a bit at the end. I still think it’s a great game, but I’m definitely feeling a similar rushed feeling that I felt with vanilla V now. It’s nowhere near that bad, but it’s apparent.

quixotic

Learned
One thing I miss in Vengeance is the dungeon crawling and resource management feeling of Nocturne and IV-Apocalypse.
Resource management is still a thing, it’s just all relegated to the boss fights.
I don’t know why you brought up Apocalypse honestly, the game isn’t much better then V on that front, you can’t go far without finding a healing spring.
I do agree though, one of the things I miss in the post-SJ SMT games is that classic blobber feeling of making your way through a dungeon while trying to keep yourself afloat with the resources you’ve amassed.

Most any JRPG that doesn't have random encounters, and more 'elective' and avoidable fights on the overworld are going to have issues with resource management and attrition, IMO. Modern JRPGs can feel a lot more like MMOs in that regard.

I usually just try to self-impose some challenges on myself when I'm trying to make progress to the next checkpoint. I'll normally use an attract pipe so that I'll have to deal with consecutive fights during a random encounter, and when an exclamation mark appears over a demon's head I'll force myself into an encounter. The downside of this is that it's probably easy to overlevel this way. When I'm just running around collecting minmen or fusing material I tend to avoid fights, though.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
You could start to see a lack of polish toward the end cinematics as Nahobino would summon his finger blades instead of the side scythe while he had his new form on.
He can still use the sword in the new form, that’s not an inconsistency. You just didn’t know because you were using a magic build.
Otherwise I’m pretty late into the game, at the last few bosses, and I agree. It kind of fizzles out a bit at the end. I still think it’s a great game, but I’m definitely feeling a similar rushed feeling that I felt with vanilla V now. It’s nowhere near that bad, but it’s apparent.
Fair enough if that's the case. I just found it odd that in all the new cutscenes, after Nahobino gains his new form, would use the side scythe, but in the old cutscenes he'd go back to the finger blade.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
just finished it anarchy ending, early game was a lot more enjoyable difficulty / exploration wise
mid/end game was way too easy even without optimizing much or using stat/level boost items
played original magic build and now phys, both were fine but phys feels better since you have more slots for passives
essence system is not great too easy to make perfect demons, should be limited to mc

also I dislike how they don't let you fight
shiva
before level 80

they don't use much pierce lol reflect/absorb trivializes all of those fights

I might kill nocturne boy later if I feel like setting party up but probably skip it this time

story was somewhat better than original but kinda retarded, 80% of boss fights are pointless (either I'm gonna test you or lol sorry did not know u were with x gang)

at mid point I had 9.5/10 vibes, now I would say 9/10 game for me

d1r

Patron
lqZ36N.jpg

How do I get up there? Moirai Sisters quest
From the left side where you are standing. You are able to jump on the rooftops from top of the mountain.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom