Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter SKALD: Against the Black Priory - retro RPG inspired by Ultima

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Companions! https://www.skaldrpg.com/2024/05/party-time/

Party Time!​

56 hours and counting!

The hours are passing by in a fever-pitch at the moment. The amount of polish that has gone into the game since we sent out press-keys is INSANE. One one hand, I’m sad that the reviewers didn’t get to see all those wonderful updates, but on the other hand, it’s far more important that you – the community – get a game that looks amazing on May 30th.

I spent all weekend playing through it and let me tell you: If your RPG tastes are like mine, you’re in for a treat. So in other words: you better smash that “buy” button once we go live!

Rogue’s Gallery​

Today I’ll do a short feature of the six pre-made recruitable characters in the game. There was originally going to be more of them but I landed on the choice of giving maximum attention to fleshing out a handful of them instead of spreading it too thin.

The upside is of course that you can also recruit fully customizable characters if you want a bit of variation, allowing for endless mixing and matching.

ROLAND​

Roland is a sell-sword veteran of countless bloody campaigns. He carries many a scar both without and within. Mercenary work is cruel and unglamorous it would seem.

Roland is a dangerous and brutal man . He’s also laconic and prone to bouts of melancholy but unerringly loyal.

Roland is an Armasmaster who prefers to vade into melee with his trusty “two-hander” sword.

http://www.skaldrpg.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/05/RolandDungeon.png
Roland is an Armasmaster. A class that excels in straight-forward and brutal combat.

KAT​

Kat is an indentured guild-sailor who was part of the crew of the ‘Zephyr’. She hails from the Imperial mainland where her cut-throat brother sold her into servitude after their parents died. Needless to say they did not part on good terms.

Kat is outspoken and exuberant with a foul mouth that stands in stark contrast to her fair appearance.

Kat is a Thief and excels in stealth and lock-picking. She also employs her deadly Backstab ability in combat to deal large amounts of damage and crippling injury conditions.

DRIINA​

Driina is a cleric of the Sepulchite order, bringing the light of the Golden Dead to the Outer Isles. Imperial religion places great significance upon the dead and the mummified corpses of long dead Magi and Emperors are the Empire’s most prized relics ,

The Sepulchites are the custodians of the Dead. This makes a somber and austere lot but they are also experts of the flesh and great healers.

Driina is a Hospitaller: A front line healer combining the sacred magic of the flesh with a robust combat presence.

IBEN​

Iben is a quiet man with a sharp wit and sharper eye. He’s traveled the Empire far and wide and eventually ended up in the Outer Isles where he found happiness – for a short while. Though he can be humorous and warm when he so wishes, it is clear that he prefers the stillness that only the wilderness can offer.http://www.skaldrpg.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/05/Iben.png

When pressed about his background, Iben tends to grow distant while he thoughtfully chews his pipe.

Iben is a Ranger. A warrior that combines an unmatched skill in ranged combat with the magic of the natural world.

IAGO​

Iago is a swashbuckling smuggler hailing from the Ombarian city-states to the south. A man of the world, he’ll tell anyone who will listen (and most who won’t listen) that he owes his legendary good luck to being the favored son of the Blind Maidens.

Iago prefers to never stay in port for long. Something about ‘wronged husbands’ and ‘little misunderstandings’.

Iago is an Officer: A warrior who boosts the fighting prowess of their comrades by issuing orders across the battlefield.

EMBLA​

Running bare-foot through the hedge-maze on the grounds of the Berryn estate. Both of you children: Embla in-front, just out of sight.

That’s how it’s always been.

All is not well in the house of Berryn and you must venture once more to follow her into the maze. Perhaps this time you’ll finally catch up to her.http://www.skaldrpg.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/05/EmblaOutside.png

In Closing…​

We’ve been sending keys to content creators and press and word is seeping in that they’re having a lot of fun with it. Are YOU a content creator or a Press person? Get in touch for a key to the game:

creatorscreators@rawfury.com

presspress@rawfury.com

To stay posted, be sure to follow the Skald Twitter and Discord and wishlist on Steam if you haven’t already!

See you in 56 hours!

AL

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.skaldrpg.com/2024/05/setting_sail/

Setting Sail​

Skald launches tomorrow (May 29th, 7pm CEST) on Steam and GOG for PC and Mac. It’s priced at 15 USD or as a jam-packed Deluxe edition for 25 USD.

Reviews Inbound​

Today at 4pm CET, the embargo for Skald will be lifted. That means that press and content creators can finally begin talking about the game!

This is an exciting and terrifying moment: The game we sent them two weeks ago has improved on an astronomical scale in the last two weeks and there were of course a bit of rough patches in the press/creator build.

Thankfully people have been beyond helpful in bringing us bug reports and the like and the game has improved vastly because of it. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: I adore it and I know you will as well!

I’ll post an abbreviated change-log as well as some info for users who have been playing on the press/creator build below. READ IT.

Launch Build Version Notes​

The following changes are the major changes that have been implemented since we sent out the press build.

For players using a Press/Content Build: These changes will NOT automatically be added to the press-branch of the game. That branch will be frozen in time for eternity to ensure backwards compatibility and stability (more below).

NEW FEATURES​

• The magic-system has been redesigned somewhat, making spellcasters a lot more powerful and fun to play. Also added a few new spells.
  • Leveling up spellcaster Feats allows you to now manually select new spells (it used to be auto assigned)
  • The Feat trees for most classes have been reorganized with an emphasis on balance.
  • The Rogue’s backstab ability is made a lot more powerful by multiplying backstab damage by the weapons critical damage modifier
  • It’s now possible to “abort” leveling up, meaning you don’t have to spend all your development points each time you enter the Feats screen. This makes it possible to take a break, and examine your character or the rest of the party etc.
  • Added in the missing end-slide cut-scenes and artwork
  • Dogs bark when you pet them (!)

MISC​

• Around 100 typos fixed
  • Fixed numerous bugs
  • Added dozens of minor QoL tweaks
  • Made encumbrance more forgiving
  • Made the game a little more willing to give out gold
  • Added more gold to vendors so it’s easier to sell loot
  • Added more sound effects
  • Added a few more alternate solutions to combat situations (stealth and diplomacy)

PERFORMANCE​

Thanks to feedback from reviewers, we were made aware of performance issues in certain parts of the game. This has slipped past our QA runs because it seems to be system dependent.

95% of players will not notice this at all.

I’ve done what I can on short notice and the issue should already be better at launch.

In the case that you still suffer FPS drops, try going into “Settings -> Display” and disable “Fancy Lighting” and “Weather Effects”. This should improve performance on all systems. Beyond that, I have a new patch ready to go on Monday, once it passes QA so I feel VERY confident this issue will be resolved shortly.

If you are currently on the press build, you can improve performance by pressing TAB and entering the console command “{clearFogEffect}”. Note that console commands are case sensitive.

A Note On Press Branch Compatibility​

This only applies to Press and content creators playing on the games Beta Branch (meaning you activated a press key).

Once the game launches, you have the option of setting the game to the Default Branch. Doing so gives you the proper, updated version of the game. However it is not compatible with saves made on the press branch.

However, you can stay on the press branch as long as you will and finish your run. Just know that the “real” version of the game will be found on the Default branch going forward.

Wish me Luck​

I have been getting a lot of questions lately of how to support me as a developer beyond buying the game (Ko-Fi, Paypal etc). To that I say: BUY THE DELUXE EDITION. And if you still have money to spend: Buy the game as a gift to your friends.

What’s more: It also helps the project’s visibility immensely if you eventually leave a review.

I’ve poured my heart and souls into this project and I really hope you all love it as much as I do. Wish me luck and please offer a silent prayer to some Elder God tomorrow at 7PM CEST.

I’ll be here; pacing nervously.

To stay posted, be sure to follow the Skald Twitter and Discord and wishlist on Steam if you haven’t already!

Much love,

AL

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Here is my review of SKALD. You can read it here, or down below if interested.

Polish your sword, and stock up on the travel weed, because it’s time to explore the cursed islands of SKALD: Against the Black Priory. While I don’t have much of a personal nostalgia connected to the Commodore 64, the graphics still manage to warm me in its low-pixelated glory of the past. However, it’s not without issues, as the amount of detail can actually be a detriment on this somewhat humble scale. At times it’s hard to distinguish the environment, seeing where you can or can’t go. It means when playing with a keyboard, you will have to prepare yourself to slam into objects like a bumper car trapped inside a tiny arena with randomly placed walls all over. Outside of that, it’s a pretty fine party-based adventure in the style of classic Dungeons and Dragons fantasy.

Lovecraft island
It all starts with you on a ship, slowly approaching the ill-fated islands where someone you need to find has gone missing. Seeing as this is a story based on the cosmic horrors of Lovecraft, what else than a giant Kraken would come to ruin your day when nearing the coast? Things go sideways quickly with the ship dragged to the pitch-black bottom of the sea. You have luck on your side and make a miraculous escape, washing your broken body up on the beach. After getting to your senses and realizing that you are somehow still alive, your only choice is to make it inland to figure out what happened to you… and to find the missing person you have been tasked with finding.

It’s pure art *chef’s kiss*

From here on out the adventure starts for real. You are set to level one with nothing to your name, no weapons, and no coins. Just how I like it, a brutal start from a state of zero, to eventually making yourself known through hardship and becoming a hero. Another aspect of this beginning I enjoy is that you are essentially doing mercenary work, a premise I always find fitting for any fantasy adventure. Coin and fame are always a great motivator for any character. However, that is not the only reason, because the person you must find does have a connection with you. So, it works either way, regardless of how you want to roleplay your character. But I must point out that the story is fairly linear. Your goal is to find this person, and to survive the doomed island of madness where almost everything wants to kill and eat you. There isn’t much free-form here besides the exploration – think the first Baldur’s Gate doing a good campaign but with fewer towns to visit.

When it comes to Lovecraft and gaming, it’s more often than not just references with deep ones trying to munch on your insides. Missing the cosmic horror of man just being a speck on the playground of the old gods. I’m happy to tell you, that while there are a few Lovecraft call-backs, the story setting is unique and is told well. The narrative is quickly laid out that something is deeply wrong with this hopeless island. That the madness being spread among the human and animal population is something way out of your league to fix. Making the whole quest a doomed endeavor, at least, it’s the feeling SKALD conveyed to me, all the way up to the end. That’s not to say you will not be smiting a few Lovecraftian monsters and bad guys on the journey, but comparable to the unknowns of the cosmos, these creatures and men of wickedness are small fish in a gigantic pond with eternal depth. I loved it, and it felt intriguing right from the start when the ship was pulled apart and dragged underneath the foaming sea.

[Ending oddity
In my press copy of the game, the ending slides are just black pictures with lorem ipsum text, meaning I don’t actually know how SKALD ends. I wrote to the publisher about this because I considered it an issue. How am I going to give it a fair review if I can’t tell how it finishes? Now, 99% of the game is fine, but maybe the ending says; “It was all a dream“. That would certainly change my opinion of the game. Anyway, the answer I got back was this was the review branch, and that the game would be complete when it launches. A tad bizarre, to be honest. So, a warning. I don’t know what the ending entails. I can only pray it’s good]

It’s time to punish the nude locals for their transgression

The slaying
Building your character and understanding the attribute system shouldn’t be a problem for any veteran of cRPGs or for any genre rookies for that matter. The names are switched from DnD, but everything is explained in-game with helpful tooltips. Luckily, it isn’t some kind of weird RPG system from the mind of Josh Sawyer (think Pillars of Eternity). So strength actually means strength. It’s only needed for warriors aiming to decapitate their foes, instead of being a crucial pick for wizards wanting to improve the damage of their magic missile spell. These attributes also govern non-combat-related skills. Crafting requires the intelligence attribute, while fortitude regulates survival which measures your cooking talent, and general survival skills in the wild. The system works well, it feels intuitive and very easy to learn.

Hello kids, I’m glad you are enjoying yourselves
What differs from DnD is that you never get you increase your main attributes through classic means by leveling up (from 3E editions). When you level up, you get three points to distribute in your pretty extensive talent tree that is unique to the class you have chosen. Here you will pick from everything from active combat skills to pure stat increases, attributes included (which is the only way to increase it, beyond gear). It follows a straight line downwards, with the juiciest stuff being at the bottom, or at the end of each “feat” section. Each feat consists of six-point slots, so to maximize a feat, you will have to spend six points, which is two levels of leveling. But one point in a feat is enough to unlock the next one that follows. This means that sometimes you might have to spend points on feats you are not that interested in. Don’t fret though, as each feat always grants you something, meaning that the point is never wholly wasted. Each first, third, and sixth slots give you something, with the final slot usually being an extra yummy skill to increase your fighting prowess. Confusing? It’s not, I promise. The tooltips explain everything and the graphics make it very easy to follow and plan out what you want to become.

The battles take place in a turn-based system, with action points determining movement with attacking usually ending the turn. There are no saving action points for multiple attacks since this is entirely controlled through the feats picked. In melee, you can’t attack diagonally, which means the only way to engage is from the top, bottom, and the sides. It limits the surrounds to four characters. However, magic and ranged attacks with a bow can be done from any angle. To maximize your damage, it’s best to spread out roles between melee and ranged because if you don’t, the battles can get messy very fast. There are two reasons for this. Each unit occupies a physical place that can’t be shared with any other. And you can’t move through your comrades. The only way to get passed is to take over that spot, and that takes a turn, which effectively wastes that turn for the party member in question. It’s a double-edged sword. While tight spaces can spell trouble when maneuvering your team, it also means that you can pretty easily trap enemy creatures for easy and safe killing for your ranged crew.

I do have to point out one major issue with the combat, and that is the lack of a combat log. There might be one, but I couldn’t find the option to show one regardless of my intense search for it. When I looked at the save files in Windows, I did notice that the game tracks the stats and rolls, yet for some reason, I couldn’t activate it in-game. It’s a major detriment if you like to know why an attack was missed, or why you were randomly critted to oblivion. It could be that this part is missing from the press release of the game, but who knows? I hope it’s something that gets added or is something I overlooked somehow.

Nice refugee camp you got there. Shame about the starvation

Social fun
One of the best parts of SKALD: Against the Black Priory is that it’s a party-based RPG of the old variant, namely having a big party of six. The more the merrier I usually say, and this game surely satisfies. The game will provide you with characters with a history, personality, and their own reasons as to why they are there, but you can create your party members for a fee of gold if you want. I stuck with the characters the game gave me since I enjoyed them all, even if they didn’t say that much during the events of the adventure. However, when they do, it matters, and it makes it so much better than being exposition dumped every ten minutes which so many modern RPGs suffer from. I played on the normal difficulty setting and found it very suitable for my skill level. But, I have a feeling if you create extra characters, SKALD might become too easy. You see, you won’t have a full party until you reach the middle of the journey, so many fights seem to be balanced around the fact that you don’t run a full party.

Gills would have helped in this situation
Outside of combat, your companions also matter, as you can pick whoever you want for the skill checks, and there are plenty of those. It’s as easy as pressing Q to switch characters, so if you need someone to talk your way out of a bad spot, it might be an idea to change to the sweet-talking hospitaller, instead of letting the conversation be controlled by the dumb brute with a large axe slung over his shoulders. These non-combat skills also play into the crafting and survival – for example, cooking. To fully heal from wounds, and “permanent” injuries that affect skills, you need to eat and rest. And to get a full night (or day) rest food is a requirement. It means that finding and cooking food is a major feature of SKALD, which is an aspect I really enjoy. Raw food might provide a few points of replenishment, but cooked food, especially if it consists of several different ingredients gives a huge boost. While food will eventually take a large spot in your inventory as far as weight goes, I highly recommend keeping all edibles around. Not being able to heal before a critical moment will spell dire news for your team.

Other skills are stealth, and crafting, like brewing potions. As not to make this review endlessly long, I will just say that all skills have a point, and work well. Nothing feels left out. Everything serves a purpose, depending on how much you feel like investing in it. Recipes for crafting and making food can be found or bought, or you can experiment with ingredients to unlock them. It’s a fun pastime if you like this kind of stuff.

The gameplay will keep you busy, solo or through the party. The systems are designed splendidly, and beyond what I have talked about, you also have the classics like collecting loot and choosing who gets to wear what, and what will be vendor trash. And not to forget, find synergies between your team to form the ultimate squad for wiping out cultists and Lovecraftian fiends. It’s very enjoyable from the view of an archetypal fantasy romp through hostile lands that need saving. Another side of the SKALD that has to be established is the greatness of the exploration. It’s sectioned into two parts, the overworld map, and the actual areas of that map, like caves, towns, and such, where you talk to people and fight with monsters from the deep. Nothing is pointed out where to go, as in following some kind of visual indicator a la quest objective. You are left to your device. It means that you need to follow the text provided in your journal and listen to what folk have to say. It’s the preferable way of doing fantasy adventure since all exploration is up to you and your box of grey goodies upstairs. There are plenty of secrets to undercover, and going by my achievements at the end, I missed out on two major quests that required a bit more input than I was putting in at that moment.

Roland is the one and only survivor of the team. Go Roland!

Pixel greatness
The retro visuals are a pleasure to look at, and it’s surprisingly detailed for being this low-pixelated. You can make out every kind of weapon and gear on your characters, which is very impressive considering what the artist had to work with. However, as mentioned at the beginning of the review, it’s not without some minor issues, especially during nighttime. I found it very hard to make out where I could go, and what was blocked off when it came to differences in terrain height. It doesn’t change much, but it puts a hamper on things when exploring. Hearing yourself bumping into things constantly like a machine gun with the dullest sound ever gets a bit grating. Other than that, the graphics presented are excellent, and beyond the visuals when traversing the land, the pictures of people and significant events during the game are very beautiful. The same goes for the menus and UI. They are very fitting, and never take you out of the game.

These guys might be a little too evil to be kept as pets
SKALD
has no voice acting, which leaves me to critique the general audio and music only. And what do you know, it’s excellent. I’m glad that they didn’t go full retro PC-speaker type of sound effects, as that would have been incredibly annoying after a while. Yet, both music and sound effects have a slight tone of retro to them nonetheless. The lack of voice acting I don’t mind, especially if we go by its retro Commandore style and top-down view. For the most part, I find voice acting in these types of RPGs to be damaging to the pacing of the story. I often read faster than the actual voice recording can spit out the lines. And letting your imagination take over for the voices is never a bad thing. All in all, the presentation is top-notch!

Conclusion
SKALD: Against the Black Priory is an excellent party-based RPG with good turn-based combat, and a Lovecraftian story that plays into the tropes well – without it feeling like re-tread (not too much at least). The writing overall is outstanding, and it impressed me with how engaging it felt, especially nearing the end of the game when it all came together (well, except the ending, considering I have not seen it yet). It’s a highly enjoyable game, and I have no trouble at all recommending it to everyone wanting a new fantasy adventure to set their teeth into. A warning though. I finished it in about twenty hours, so don’t go expecting a mastodon title in the form of Baldur’s Gate 3, lasting for hundreds of hours. However, it allows for a replay or two, if you go by classes since there are a few different combos to try out. Let’s hope it’s a success for the studio High North Studios, so they can release more games in this style.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Finally!! I keep forgetting this game even exists, so happy to know it is about to be released!

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
This is releasing and it might be good? That almost justifies the wait :-D

Hopefully this is a beacon of optimism in otherwise murky waters.

notpl

Arbiter
I have really been enjoying 15-20 hour games lately, as opposed to the triple-digit behemoths, so I'm up for this.

Lyre Mors

Arcane
Sounds great! Thanks for the review, Alienman. 30-40 hours would be ideal, but for the price, 20 hours is fair and should do the trick.

• The magic-system has been redesigned somewhat, making spellcasters a lot more powerful and fun to play. Also added a few new spells.
  • Leveling up spellcaster Feats allows you to now manually select new spells (it used to be auto assigned)
Very pleased to read this. Magic was weak and rather bland in the demo. Not irredeemable, it just needed some love. Hopefully they also did this for ranged attacks.

Tyranicon I very much enjoyed the demo. $15 is a fair price for this. I will be day 1 purchasing it. I might even pull off my Dragon's Dogma run for it. The game has great sensibilities. My only major apprehension is that they still make the player click through every step of every action of every actor on the battlefield. That was really tedious.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I have really been enjoying 15-20 hour games lately, as opposed to the triple-digit behemoths, so I'm up for this.
Yeah, not everything has to be Kingmaker or Wizardry 7 (even if we desperately need more games in the mold of Wizardry 7).

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
No key yet... :(. Even if I get it soon, apparently you have to email them back if you want a GOG key as all emails are for Steam... who knows how long it will take them to send the GOG key :argh:.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think that he is manually sending out keys, so it may take a while. Check your spam folder. The header of the mail is: "New Message from Anders Lauridsen on Indiegogo", and the sender is Indiegogo Support.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Got the email and replied asking for the GOG key. He responded within 30 minutes so YEAH for that. Immediately went to GOG and redeemed my key... Success! Go to my collections page to download and install the game and... there's no game!! When I click and open the SKALD tab it just says "soon"!!!!!! :argh::argh::argh::argh:

Sotomonte

Learned
Got the email and replied asking for the GOG key. He responded within 30 minutes so YEAH for that. Immediately went to GOG and redeemed my key... Success! Go to my collections page to download and install the game and... there's no game!! When I click and open the SKALD tab it just says "soon"!!!!!! :argh::argh::argh::argh:

I also responded to the email asking for a key for GOG... I have not received a response yet :negative:

On GOG I suppose it will not be available for download until it is announced as a new release on the front page of the website... today afternoon perhaps???

Is the Steam version playable without Steam's client running in the background (in other words: DRM-free)?
Does not look that way. Just clicked the exe and Steam notified me that I was playing it.
That notification is the case with most games, if Steam is running already. But what happens if you click the exe with Steam not running? Does it force-start the client?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is the Steam version playable without Steam's client running in the background (in other words: DRM-free)?
Does not look that way. Just clicked the exe and Steam notified me that I was playing it.
That notification is the case with most games, if Steam is running already. But what happens if you click the exe with Steam not running? Does it force-start the client?
Tried it now. It starts Steam.

Tried it now. It starts Steam.
Thank you for the confirmation! I was very eager to try the game, glad I didn't use that Steam key yet. Alas the guy isn't replying for 10 hours now...

By the way, I really still can't understand why creators sometimes sell their game on Steam and GOG both and yet feel the urge to bind it to that damn client. Why not DRM-free on both platforms (many indie-devs sell their stuff DRM-free on Steam)?

edit: ok, got my GOG key.

edit2: Aaaaand... Avast threw the .exe in the quarantine bin and I can't restore it... is that an omen for things yet to come?

edit3: repaired the installation, started once. No sound. Thought it's about Windows, so restarted the rig. Now the game won't start anymore, whatever I do. That's fun.

edit4: I'm a step further it seems... window opens. Black screen. Then freeze. We're getting closer. To whatever.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom