Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter SKALD: Against the Black Priory - retro RPG inspired by Ultima

Avast threw the .exe in the quarantine bin and I can't restore it... is that an omen for things yet to come?
IIRC Avast had trouble with Unity games before. In general, I stopped using it because it was a jumpy piece of shit.
Can't confirm that. I use it for years now and can't remember many such situations. It's jumping like crazy on that .exe.

edit: Ok, now it runs. Let's see what we have here...

PlayerEmers

Educated
Is the Steam version playable without Steam's client running in the background (in other words: DRM-free)?
Does not look that way. Just clicked the exe and Steam notified me that I was playing it.
did you open the exe with steam closed?

only a handful of "drm free" games have executable files that are not hooked to steam, so you need to try the executable with steam closed

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'll say one thing right away, the floating damage indicators in combat are completely unreadable.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Does it have full party customization.
I've not played it but based on the description there are story companions but you can recruit blank mercernaries instead if you prefer.
15 hour main path, 25 with side stuff, according to the latest update.
Custom mercs option added.

https://www.skaldrpg.com/2024/05/late-stage-feature-bonanza/

MERCENARIES​

Do you want to adventure with the pre-made characters? Or would you rather make every character in the party from scratch? Perhaps a combination of the two?

Oops all new characters!
Fear not! The Outer Isles is full of “Mercenaries”: Blank characters that you can hire and customize fully.

Up to 18 characters can be part of your group and you’re free to swap them in and out from the party management screen that you get access to when resting in beds or at inns!

This game suddenly feels a lot more like murder-hobo pokemon!
You’re even free to leave all your companions in camp and venture forth alone if you want a bit of an extra challenge.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://af.gog.com/game/skald_against_the_black_priory?as=1649904300

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1069160/view/4146205571439272360
SKALD: Against The Black Priory Is Now Available!

Today, Swedish publisher Raw Fury and Norwegian developer High North Studios launched their retro-style RPG, SKALD: Against the Black Priory on PC via Steam, and GOG for $14.99/£12.79/€14.99. To celebrate, players can enjoy a launch day discount, now in effect for 10% off.

Set in a grim-dark fantasy world of tragic heroes, violent deaths and Lovecraftian horror, in SKALD: Against the Black Priory, choices matter as players explore an engaging storyline mixed with crunchy tactical, turn-based combat and character customization.

Inspired by iconic retro RPG titles, in SKALD: Against the Black Priory players explore the thrilling expanse of Freymark and the Outer Isles to uncover the grand schemes of the Gallian Empire. Players will experience an unforgettable story filled with unexpected twists and turns, with a unique mesh of modern storytelling and classic RPG elements, that will seem familiar and yet innovative to RPG fans, old and new.

Players will experience key features including:
  • Equipping their heroes using a modern inventory system, fulfilling objectives through quest logs, and reading journals to discover hidden secrets.
  • Unique visuals built from thousands of hand-drawn tiles and images inspired by the legendary Commodore 64 computer, with an optional CRT filter to allow for a true retro gameplay experience.
  • Fighting their way to Level 20 by choosing a character, selecting their stats and building out a party from a series of diverse allies, each with their own skill-set, agenda and personality. Players will meet and recruit fully fleshed out pre-made characters with unique backstories and handcrafted interactions, as well as have options to fill their party: either with ‘mercenaries,’ blank characters that they can build from the ground up to their exact specifications or mix and match as they go. Players can also decide to travel on their own.
  • Deciding between a dozen classes and backgrounds, customizing spells and equipment in order to prepare for the journey ahead and uncovering the schemes of the Gallian Empire while exploring the vast expanse of Freymark and the Outer Isles.
SKALD: Against the Black Priory is now available on PC via Steam, and GOG for $14.99/£12.79/€14.99, with a current launch discount of 10%. Players can also purchase the Deluxe Edition of the game for $22.47/ £17.68 / €14.99 (10% launch day discount also available for a limited time), which includes the full OST and the Reinforcement Pack, as well as a host of gameplay additions such as:
  • Three unique backgrounds with additional statistics
  • Two new wallpapers
  • A pack of in-game portraits
  • Golden die to roll, amongst other types, with an all-new animation
  • An additional vendor: Malachai the Magical Item Merchant
For the latest information about SKALD: Against the Black Priory and to join the community, check out the game’s official website, X page, and Discord page.

:yeah:

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Awaiting any opinions.
https://www.godisageek.com/reviews/skald-against-the-black-priory-review/ 8/10

SKALD: Against the Black Priory review​

If you are, like me, a person of a “certain age”, for whom the entry point into home computing and video games was via an 8-bit Commodore, the most inescapable feeling when you first clap eyes on SKALD is what a throwback it is visually to the role-playing titles of yore for the humble C64. So much so that it wouldn’t look out of place in the pages of Zzap!, with a proper Ultima vibe and some undeniably beautiful aesthetics that permeate every frame of this retro-tinged treat. Being an old hand with the C64 also tells us that many of the games we grew up enjoying haven’t aged as well as we may have thought, with a certain degree of rose-tinted specs being spied through.

Thankfully, SKALD: Against the Black Priory is a modern, complex dark fantasy epic, that retains its old-school feel, whilst featuring content and a level of sophistication that feels more Baldur’s Gate than Bard’s Tale. I am an absolute sucker for anything that has a whiff of Lovecraft about it, and this has more Cthulhu related tomfoolery than you can shake a Yog-Sothoth at, whilst still retaining its own sense of originality.

SKALD: Against the Black Priory

Essentially a classic top-down role playing game with certain rules regarding movement and actions, and turn based combat, you begin by creating your starting pawn with a surprisingly deep number of role-playing variables. As well as selecting the specific class of your avatar, you can also alter parameters that do not just affect performance in battle, spellcasting, healing and so on; you can award some of the limited amount of points granted to build your fantasy loadout to determine the character’s familiarity with the lore of the game-world and therefore a greater understanding of the increasingly more perilous series of events that consume it.

You can build a party of adventurers that complement one another with the surprisingly diverse skillsets available. There are almost endless possibilities and combinations. The grid based battle system is fun and intuitive, with a wonderful menagerie of flora and fauna to battle, not to mention a rogues gallery of often-monstrous humans. My only combat criticism comes from a slight repetition that can creep in, and the fact that you often find yourself relying on whichever is the most powerful physical strikes in your arsenal rather than the plethora of spells and arcane skills on offer. Also: don’t make the mistake I initially made and try to do everything on a Steam Deck – this is a game best experienced with a mouse and, while playable, is better if you plug one in if Deck is your only way to play.

Narratively SKALD is a rich treasure trove of classic fantasy world-buiding, offering up familiar tropes but also underpinned by a cracking tale of Lovecraftian goings-on in a fishing community in which everything has very much gone awry. You begin the tale with your ship having run aground during a mission to locate a missing daughter, and quickly get sucked into the ominous seaside town in which it isn’t just the locals that have gone a bit bonkers.

I was taken aback by the story, given that very recently I watched Stuart “Re-Animator” Gordon’s Dagon – a schlocky horror homage to The Shadow Over Innsmouth which shares some striking similarities; however both the cult classic flick and this tale strike out on their own. The story is full of mystery and creepy eldritch/folk horror twists and turns which made it a true delight given my investment in the source inspiration, and will make you want to get to the bottom of the horrific fate that has befallen the folk you encounter.

Be prepared to have to read a lot of text, just like the olden days of text adventures. But this is some good stuff, with knowingly gory descriptions of slithering, pallid, creeping grotesquery, and cracking conversation between the well-formed denizens of your adventure. Having these chats is done via a series of multiple-choice dialogue trees, with your choices and decisions driving the plot in myriad different directions. It is very possible to survive certain scenarios on your wits alone, being a talker rather than a fighter – drawing once again on your Lore stats to carefully avoid combat. There is also – in another nod to all things Baldur’s – dice rolling, which adds another warm enveloping hug of RPG familiarity.

Every character has their own backstory that is in itself defined by how you choose to create them in the first place. There is the Feats system, which allows you to give a character a special buff or characteristic which affects the way they play. For the uninitiated, there is a lot of information, statistics, and role-playing goodness to get to grips with.

During the game you get drawn into all kinds of additional side-quests, and have to juggle these but also consider what is actually going on in the main plot. If this was 30-odd years ago, then I would probably be jotting things down in a notepad and cursing the lack of an auto save facility that I didn’t even know would one day exist. Thankfully whilst being CRPG at heart, the quality of life stuff here like a handy journal and the aforementioned ability to save where you stand, makes this a much more modern experience.

You will struggle to find a better homage to this very specific genre of classic gaming, handled with such care and artistry. Every inch of the pixel-art and chime of the knowingly constructed interface takes you back to a time where VHS was king and a packet of Panini stickers was still under a quid. If you really want to go the whole hog there is even an option to run the thing with an authentic C64 colour palette, which blew my old mind somewhat. The unique challenge, innate toughness and idiosyncratic eldritch setting may not be for everyone, but anybody who has enjoyed a turn-based role-player at any stage and fancies a trip down memory lane will find themselves delighted with SKALD: Against the Black Priory.

notpl

Arbiter
Don't worry, we just need another day or two of people talking about "considering buying" it before it appears on rutracker or cs.rin.ru and suddenly everyone has an opinion about it.

n0wh3r3

Educated
Don't worry, we just need another day or two of people talking about "considering buying" it before it appears on rutracker or cs.rin.ru and suddenly everyone has an opinion about it.
From when it is an issue to spend 15 $ ? lol

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
No "considering" here. Since I missed out on the Kickstarter, I will D1P the Deluxe Edition.

notpl

Arbiter
No "considering" here. Since I missed out on the Kickstarter, I will D1P the Deluxe Edition.
Report back soon if so. I have the whole day free tomorrow, I'd happily waste it on a new rpg with the right encouragement.

Jack Slash

Literate
Bought the game as soon as it became available, launched it for a few minutes just to run around and look at the menus - so far so good, but actual impressions will have to wait until the next week, when I actually have time to play it.

I will say that the menu animations feel smooth and the main theme hits just right. The font reminded me of KotC1, there's a lot of customization options for difficulty and visuals, and for once, the differences between difficulty levels are explained to a t, up to the number of skill check rerolls you get at each level.

The character creation is also great - with classes, backgrounds, a feat tree, stats, and even a cool pixelated character creator to customize to your heart's content, just the way you would expect from a CRPG.

What I'm saying is that the presentation of the game is splendid, and it feels exactly like an old-school game with a modernized UI should feel.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Fuck deluxe editions, specially for digital media. Price tiering is the kind of bullshit you’d expect from AAA garbage, not project that sell themselves as a labor of love™.

Getting the regular one, but will be a short on time to dive in until next week. Looking forward to the game, if it can keep and even develop the quality that was on the first demo, it’s gonna be good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom