Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim is worse than Oblivion in every way

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
technically you can finish the game without _personally_ killing anyone.

you can't be held responsible for a murder that a summoned daedroth committed, can you? :smug:

Zeriel

Arcane
3s229k.jpg

Xavin

Novice
At any rate, I'm a huge Morrowind fanboy, and if I recall correctly, doing the main quest "properly" requires you to only kill Dagoth Gares, the leaders of Redoran/Telvanni/Erabeninsum, the Urshilaku ancestral ghost, and of course Dagoth Ur.
You don't need to kill the leaders, since you can bypass the entire Nerevarine/Hortator series of quests by having high enough reputation. I don't remember if you need to kill the ghost. Dagoth Gares is definitely the first guy you NEED to kill to progress with the MQ.

There are two alternate paths that allow you to bring that down to just Dagoth Ur.
Depends. The "back door" one also requires you to kill Vivec. The "cheese the fuck out of alchemy" path is I think the only one that only requires you to kill Dagoth Ur.

Technically you're not "killing" Dagoth Ur in combat anyway though.

I'm pretty sure the faction quests, with the exception of Morag Tong for obvious reasons, have a similar ratio of non-violent quests to mandatory violence ones.
Depends on the factions. Fighters Guild have a lot of kill quests because, you know, Fighters Guild. Thieves Guild have a few towards the end, otherwise they're very much a nonviolent path (and some of the kill quests could done without the killing if you'd done other quests first). Temple IIRC had no kill quests.

1. I never knew about the reputation thing until now. :oops:

2. Oops, forgot about Vivec.

3. Well, Dagoth Ur must die one way or the other, and the ancestral ghost has to have its hp reduced to 0, and you have to instigate that somehow, either directly or indirectly. As Utgard-Loki and DraQ pointed out, you can indirectly kill everything. So if you do the main quest "properly," then, three things must absolutely die, 2 must die for the "back door," and 1 for the "7-minute speed run."

4. Oops. Well, yeah, and add Imperial Legion and Redoran as combat-oriented guilds.

I haven't tested it, but it might be possible to pickpocket the bow off the wright (in case you'd be arguing that fighting and banishing a fucking ghost counts as killing).
In that case you'd be able to complete the MQ only killing Dagoth Gares directly and indirectly Dagoth Ur.

Well, the wright is a merchant who sells ectoplasm, sort of like that one Dagoth who sells you brandy. :lol: The bow is neither for sale nor equipped by the wright, but I'm not sure if it shows up on the pickpocket screen.

:lol: :bro:

It...there's no way that can be all of the College of Winterhold quests. The entire thing didn't even last as long as the assignments you did for Balmora's Mages Guild. Then you had the branches in Ald'Ruhn, Sadrith Mora...

Tell me the other Guilds are longer than this. Please.

Edit: FFS it took longer to piece together the Amulet of Gauldur!

Gord

Arcane
Tell me the other Guilds are longer than this. Please.

Edit: FFS it took longer to piece together the Amulet of Gauldur!

Thieves guild definitely is, although it has some potentially derpy story moments.
To get the Thieves Guild 100% up and operational you have to do a few Radiant quests to unlock different upgrades (vendors).
One might like it or not, personally I found it to be quite ok, as the Radiant quests serve as ordinary thieving work in between story missions.

Companions are a bit longer as well, and offer some small C&C towards the end, but I wouldn't exactly call it long, either. IIRC, radiant quests there are mostly optional, as they mainly give you some gold.
You do get some quests to recover the "Totems of Hircine" with Dawnguard, I think, which again are linked to the number of radiant quests you have done.

Gord

Arcane
Ah yes, I forgot about a few of the sidequests in the college.
Some of them (in the dungeon beneath the college, iirc) actually are somewhat atypical for Skyrim/Bethesda as you have to do some exploration on your own and don't get served the solution on a platter.

Yeah I stumbled on an unfinished one awhile ago, when the Conjuration instructor mentioned five previous pupils disappearing. You can find them and all the parts of it are still there it just doesn't activate. Interesting NPCS adds a hard-as-balls mini assault by a necromancer and her undead army on the college and that was pretty awesome. If any of the newly introduced College Members survive that they can be used as companions so you have incentive not to fuck things up. At the time it nearly made me tear my hair out.

hakuroshi

Augur
Don't know if it was discussed before, but I've suddenly got an idea about those random nameless NPCs who attack you out of the blue or insult for no reason and cannot be intimidated despite the option. They are simply a representation of other PCs with a typical behavior of an average TES player :)

Luzur

Good Sir
It...there's no way that can be all of the College of Winterhold quests.
Well, there are post-archmage quests, mastery quests and probably some uncompleted sidequests.

Other than that, yeah.

To think how easy it would be to fix that by just throwing in some more obligatory radiant quests...

actually, i think a "become the Jarl and rebuild Winterhold" quest would ahve been nice incline for that cit..err villag..uh collection of huts.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Well, there are post-archmage quests, mastery quests and probably some uncompleted sidequests.

Other than that, yeah.

To think how easy it would be to fix that by just throwing in some more obligatory radiant quests...

actually, i think a "become the Jarl and rebuild Winterhold" quest would ahve been nice incline for that cit..err villag..uh collection of huts.
Hamlet?

Luzur

Good Sir

Other than that, yeah.

Hamlet?

Winterhold is even smaller then that.

There's the jarl's house, a store, an inn, and I guess another house. Considering the college doesn't really take orders from said jarl, there's no reason for Winterhold to exist other than a place for you to ask what is that big building over there.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
But that would require you actually being able to affect change on the world, and we know that Bethesda can't allow that. No, better that Winterhold remain a pointless ramshackle ruin, it's less work that way and players won't get confused by having consequences to their actions.

Luzur

Good Sir
There's the jarl's house, a store, an inn, and I guess another house. Considering the college doesn't really take orders from said jarl, there's no reason for Winterhold to exist other than a place for you to ask what is that big building over there.

my parents home is bigger then Winterhold, and thats just a big farm.

But that would require you actually being able to affect change on the world, and we know that Bethesda can't allow that. No, better that Winterhold remain a pointless ramshackle ruin, it's less work that way and players won't get confused by having consequences to their actions.

yeah i guess, but i wanna make a change dammit.

Emrys Mercer

Barely Literate
Skyrim would be MUCH better if your choices actually changed the course of the game. That's one of the few redeeming qualities of the newest franchise from Bioware: Dragon Age.

Better writing and more guild quests would be a godsend. Combat has improved along with graphics, but I felt the storyline kind of flopped compared to Obliviion or Morrowind.

DraQ

Arcane
Skyrim would be MUCH better if your choices actually changed the course of the game. That's one of the few redeeming qualities of the newest franchise from Bioware: Dragon Age.

Better writing and more guild quests would be a godsend. Combat has improved along with graphics, but I felt the storyline kind of flopped compared to Obliviion or Morrowind.
Don't be silly. No storyline can flop compared to Oblivion.

DeepOcean

Arcane

Man, Fallout 3 and Oblivion are in fierce competition to win the award of worse written video game story in the history, seriously. I really don't remember from memory a AAA studio that written worse shit than Bethesda on Oblivion and Fallout 3 even Bioware has it's merits. Skyrim has a standard fantasy story but, at least, isn't a incoherent mess and don't contradict itself all the time.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.

I'd argue Fallout 3 is much worse just based on its merit of shitting on a good series.

Elder Scrolls was always Bethesda's baby so if they want to abuse it that's fine with me. But, Fallout wasn't theirs originally. It's like if someone adopted your son and then beat the shit out of him just because they didn't like the way he looked.

DraQ

Arcane

I'd argue Fallout 3 is much worse just based on it's merit of shitting on a good series.

Elder Scrolls was always Bethesda's baby so if they want to abuse it that's fine with me. But, Fallout wasn't theirs originally. It's like if someone adopted your son and then beat the shit out of him just because they didn't like the way he looked.
I don't approve of children abuse regardless of it happening within family.
:cool:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom