Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta: Crown of the Magister Thread - now with Palace of Ice sequel DLC

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The Soraks are a great antagonistic force. They are basically alien lizard humanoids, and I think the game does a very good job of painting them as a legitimate threat, and establishing the pervasive paranoid atmosphere that is emblematic of this conspiracy theory
What did you think of nwn oc?

The Soraks are a great antagonistic force. They are basically alien lizard humanoids, and I think the game does a very good job of painting them as a legitimate threat, and establishing the pervasive paranoid atmosphere that is emblematic of this conspiracy theory
What did you think of nwn oc?
If by OC you mean original campaign, I still haven't beaten it. If it features the D&D's version of Soraks, I'll be more than happy, probably.

Sacibengala

Prophet
Someone should adapt an existing megadungeon for this game. It would work pretty well. Stonehell, Rappan Athuk, Arden Vul, the list goes over and over. It would be a lot of work, though.

Artyoan

Arbiter
Seriously this game is fucking awesome. I might make a custom campaign for it.
That's what I'm working on right now. A couple hours a day. Very slow going but the campaign maker is extensive enough to justify it even if it has some major shortcomings.

Yosharian

Arcane
I'm playing through the vampire castle right now, it's really great. Obviously the writing is just awful, but somehow it is really compelling despite that. The music is really good, and the graphics, despite their simplicity, manage to create a really effective atmosphere.

Stoned Ape

Savant
I'm playing through the vampire castle right now, it's really great. Obviously the writing is just awful, but somehow it is really compelling despite that. The music is really good, and the graphics, despite their simplicity, manage to create a really effective atmosphere.
In my opinion that's the high point of the campaign. The only annoying part was the buggy puzzle near the end. I had to use magic creatively in order to bypass it because some triggers weren't working properly during my playthrough.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The Bad:
- Dialogue is stunted, partially due to budget constraints when it comes to voice actors. Often it feels like circles of mentally-stunted, low-functioning autists barely managing to construct sentences. This might improve your particular sense of RP though, i don't know.
- The "Humor" is grating.
The travel journal can be rather funny, when you receive a series of random procedurally-generated events reminiscent of the Codex:

iwzqiVg.png

It's a fantastic little flavour thing they've done there, only problem is there's not enough variation. Like, Gallivan, and only Gallivan, apparently produces wandering scholars by the bucketload :)

I particularly like the "vampires" in Solasta. It's funny how they probably couldn't use the phrase vampire due to licensing or wtv, but the end result is pretty fun. They are cool and powerful, and thoroughly wacky.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Started on the Lost Valley, too early to say yet, and I'm a fan of the game anyway. But I did feel a slight bit of ennui contemplating the poor old old potato heads at character creation. How is it possible in this day and age to make characters that look so utterly lame and hideous, with plastic joke shop beards and what looks like a bad case of flaky, blotchy skin? Wanting to make ordinary looking people - laudable - but why do they have to look soooo poorly made?

But anyway, it occurred to me that you only ever make like 6 characters in Solasta, and it's defined by the voice actors:-

1) The grumpy one - usually a dwarf
2) The manly one - usually the paladin or such
3) The manlet - usually the thief or warlock or such
4) The posh older lady - maybe the cleric
5) The posh younger lady - the wizard
6) The cockerney slag - wha'eva'

If the developers ever get a bit of spare cash, they really should get another couple of voice actors in to give some more options.

Codex Year of the Donut
what surprised me is that a french dev couldn't get a single french female to do voice acting but instead opted to get british women to do it :puke:

Mortmal

Arcane
Someone should adapt an existing megadungeon for this game. It would work pretty well. Stonehell, Rappan Athuk, Arden Vul, the list goes over and over. It would be a lot of work, though.
Need to be a standalone dlc at full price , no one going to do that on their spare time, it requires ton of monsters models and new 3D art the game doesnt have yet.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
what surprised me is that a french dev couldn't get a single french female to do voice acting but instead opted to get british women to do it :puke:

Even the French recognize the British superiority.

As Infinitron put it

I suspect that some voice casting directors might choose a British accent for these sorts of characters because Americans find French accents funny.

Believing this to be true myself when I played Greedfall and it was Brits all around. Though the French are stereotypically known for their cultural superiority complex, they recognize that others think they all sound like Inspector Closeau and laugh at them when they talk.

Yosharian

Arcane
I haven't looked at Solasta since it was released. How did the Druid and Barbarian end up? Any good?
Barbarian homebrew Path of Stone makes it one of the best tanks in the game

Also there is a bug with Barkskin, it makes your naked Barb AC 16 + CON + DEX so you can get ridiculously high AC

Parabalus

Arcane
Frenzy Barb is a pretty good damage dealer too, only gets eclipsed when others get 3rd attack.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom