Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta: Crown of the Magister Thread - now with Palace of Ice sequel DLC

Artyoan

Arbiter
This game is more like neverwinter nights instead of baldurs gate. Completely different interpretation of tabletop gameplay. Solasta is more of a dungeon crawler number crunching style GM while baldurs gate 3 is story / friends having fun style of tabletop.
Solasta is another example of the resurgence of good, squad-based tactics games in the last few years. The developer did not make much of an attempt to emulate D&D exploration, either in the dungeon or the wilderness, so the encounter zones are largely linear, as is the overall structure of the game. Also, since it's based on "D&D 5th Edition", the party size is a mere four player-characters, among other mechanical deficiencies. Those are the chief limitations of the game, but it is reasonably good at what it focuses on, namely turn-based tactical combat, though certainly no Troubleshooter.
Thats also why the modding support from Unfinished Business and the dungeon maker are important. The limitations are then mostly exceeded by the playerbase. Six man parties are now a thing and tons of new feats, subclasses, spells, etc

I shill for Solasta when I get the chance to. I think it's that underrated.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I think it's a great tactical combat experience especially coming from indie devs. I didn't mind the graphics or voice acting or linearity at all but I mostly play for combat so I understand why some players may not have cared for it. I also don't like 5e that much compared to older editions but the combat was still fun.

I did a blind run on authentic but what do you think about cataclysm difficulty? I've seen more experienced players recommending making an all elf min maxed party to get through it.

jackofshadows

Magister
Until someone make a truly god tier module for this game and it'll be obvious to anyone that have played the OG it's actually superior one I refuse to listen to this impotent "but it's got potential" crap. Solasta's fucking mid, not exactly terrible game, just deal with that already and move on. I'm saying that even while don't care in the least about the crappy plot and the potato faces, and the fucking beards and the pathetic pronouns option in the character creator.

Cataclysm difficulty isn't really difficult, just boring bloated mobs everywhere, nothing special. The vamprire or whatever the fuck was that boss in the castle is still the highlight of the entire game regardless of the chosen difficulty.

Mortmal

Arcane
Of course, Cataclysm mode is not challenging; bloating mob HP makes no sense and doesn't add tactical depth. 5E is designed for attrition with several encounters and 2 short rests between full rests. The problem is, no one is adhering to that; streamers often have one encounter per 4-hour session of heavy storytelling, and video games like Baldur's Gate 3 don't follow it either. Modders don't either. So, you have an already flawed system that no one is using correctly. Hopefully, their next game will use Pathfinder 2E, which is a bit more tactical and balanced from the beginning to the end. However, they will probably tone it down to cater to Game Pass casual players and include a "hard mode" with bloated HP due to lack of time, money, and/or laziness.

Artyoan

Arbiter
Of course, Cataclysm mode is not challenging; bloating mob HP makes no sense and doesn't add tactical depth. 5E is designed for attrition with several encounters and 2 short rests between full rests. The problem is, no one is adhering to that; streamers often have one encounter per 4-hour session of heavy storytelling, and video games like Baldur's Gate 3 don't follow it either. Modders don't either. So, you have an already flawed system that no one is using correctly. Hopefully, their next game will use Pathfinder 2E, which is a bit more tactical and balanced from the beginning to the end. However, they will probably tone it down to cater to Game Pass casual players and include a "hard mode" with bloated HP due to lack of time, money, and/or laziness.
My next campaign has two attrition sequences involving 4/5 fights with no long resting, only short. They don't come until the second half but they'll be there. A few other areas where two fights occur with no long rest between them either. If I end up doing a roguelike mode, it's going to be almost entirely attrition based but no story. Made for something more like Ironman style play.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hot damn diggity dudes, playing this on a system that can take a load makes a fuckton of difference. You guys were right about SSDs.
Also are the snow dwarves Finnish or something?

Artyoan

Arbiter
Hot damn diggity dudes, playing this on a system that can take a load makes a fuckton of difference. You guys were right about SSDs.
Also are the snow dwarves Finnish or something?
I don't know. I had to take screenshots of some of the area names on the world map just so I could remember the names in case of needing to reference them for whatever reason.

Artyoan

Arbiter
My latest stuff is complete, barring any further bugs to be reported. If you're using the Unfinished Business mod you can uncap it and go from level 1 to 17 in the four man version or to 19 in the six man version.
The Red Crow: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3074665840
Mod.io version: https://mod.io/g/solasta/m/the-red-crow
The Red Crow - Six man version: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3106185904
Mod.io version: https://mod.io/g/solasta/m/the-red-crow-six-man-party-version

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Until someone make a truly god tier module for this game and it'll be obvious to anyone that have played the OG it's actually superior one I refuse to listen to this impotent "but it's got potential" crap. Solasta's fucking mid, not exactly terrible game, just deal with that already and move on. I'm saying that even while don't care in the least about the crappy plot and the potato faces, and the fucking beards and the pathetic pronouns option in the character creator.

Cataclysm difficulty isn't really difficult, just boring bloated mobs everywhere, nothing special. The vamprire or whatever the fuck was that boss in the castle is still the highlight of the entire game regardless of the chosen difficulty.

Slam

Fucking

Dunk

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It's worse than mid, the content is some of the most boring in all of RPGdom. Sure, the combat system is ok, but they couldn't have fucked that up because it's 5E, so no points there.

jackofshadows

Magister

Slam

Fucking

Dunk
Honestly no idea what you mean, barebones game with modding tool set a la NWN/Bethshit FTW?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Slam

Fucking

Dunk
Honestly no idea what you mean, barebones game with modding tool set a la NWN/Bethshit FTW?

i was agreeing with you :lol:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
It's worse than mid, the content is some of the most boring in all of RPGdom. Sure, the combat system is ok, but they couldn't have fucked that up because it's 5E, so no points there.

Skip skiip skip every time there's a dialogue and it become a pretty good x-com with magic.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath

Skip skiip skip every time there's a dialogue and it become a pretty good x-com with magic.
My main problem is the how samey the encounters are and the only engaging fight in the entire game is the vampiress.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
one can only compare with bg3 and there are many things in favor of solasta. As in 5e implementation, so its not like you get things for free

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

A good xcom with magic is blackguards

and blackguards this certainly ain’t

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Kinda got that but why exactly - not. Like, the French have made any (somewhat decent) implementation of 5e first? Otherwise I'm possibly not familiar enough with the 'slam dunk' term.
"Slam dunk" as a Codex meme originates with Feargus Urquhart and Obsidian, in reference to insisting that an upcoming release is a "slam dunk", and has negative connotations both as a stock image and as a button rating.

:slamdunk:

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Kinda got that but why exactly - not. Like, the French have made any (somewhat decent) implementation of 5e first? Otherwise I'm possibly not familiar enough with the 'slam dunk' term.
"Slam dunk" as a Codex meme originates with Feargus Urquhart and Obsidian, in reference to insisting that an upcoming release is a "slam dunk", and has negative connotations both as a stock image and as a button rating.

Bah, as a peasant arrivée ignorant of the history, I just use it as a term of approval :)

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Bah, as a peasant arrivée ignorant of the history, I just use it as a term of approval :)

Imo most buttons have uses both sincerely and ironically... what's fun at times is trying to sort it out. Like does someone like dogs, or is he saying I'm a bitch? :lol:

Artyoan

Arbiter

My main problem is the how samey the encounters are and the only engaging fight in the entire game is the vampiress.
That's why you must embrace the path of custom campaigns from the workshop. Players aren't making their campaigns for the general audience necessarily. They tend to be harder.

Tactical Adventures should get credit for including the campaign maker/editor. It opens up a lot of options.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why the fuck are there so many flyboys in the expansion?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom