Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - action adventure from Respawn Entertainment

JDR13

Arcane
Metroidvania, eh? I watched some gameplay and thought this was The Force Unleashed 3 with a different name.

Thankfully, it couldn't be much more different than The Force Unleashed. You should give a try if you enjoy metroidvanias. As we've been saying, it's got some Tomb Raider and Dark Souls in there too.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
the game throws piles of basic foes at you that can be slaughtered with joyful ease using the lightsaber or force powers and then throws bosses at you that up the difficulty completely disproportionately

Are you talking about Fallen Order or Jedi Outcast/Academy? Because that's how I remember JO/JA's combat, at least until I started fighting force users, but that wasn't the biggest part of the games anyway.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
This one throws stormtroopers at you who are pretty easy, but the more special enemies are pretty challenging. On hard mode anyway, which is what I played on. Most non-trooper enemies required parrying or dodging and using powers. The bosses are especially demanding of attention and timing.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Dayum: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...der-beat-ea-expectations-by-selling-8m-copies

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order beat EA expectations by selling 8m copies

After years of canning single-player Star Wars games, it looks like EA finally has a hit on its hands, as Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order has sold 8m copies so far - exceeding the publisher's own expectations. Who knew there was demand for single-player Star Wars games?

In a Q3 earnings call, CFO Blake Jorgensen said EA had expected Fallen Order to sell between 6m and 8m copies by the end of the fiscal year on 31st March - but the game has already passed the high end of this target. EA now predicts Fallen Order will likely reach 10m copies sold by April, and says it has "significantly beat[en]" expectations.

"Respawn delivered an expertly crafted high-quality experience with outstanding gameplay that thrilled players, made many of the game of the year lists and sold beyond our projections for the quarter," EA exec Andrew Wilson added.

"Our portfolio of Star Wars games across all platforms has never been stronger."

jpg

The expression the EA execs had on their faces when reading the results, probably.

The praise for Respawn didn't stop there, too, as Apex Legends was similarly held up as an example of a strong IP, with season three performing better than season two in terms of daily active users. EA was eager to reassure shareholders that Respawn founder Vince Zampella - who recently announced he would be overseeing DICE's new LA studio - will remain heavily involved with Respawn. Which is just as well, as judging by the amazing developments in Apex Legends lately, they seem to be on a roll.

In terms of EA's future plans for this year, we can expect to see four new sports titles (including new FIFA and Madden titles), four titles from smaller developers, and another four which "draw from the breadth" of EA's IP. If this plan goes effectively, they could be seeing further mass sales in 2020.

Beat this last week and it turned out to be quite decent for current year.

But the combat feels very off at times. Most of the time the enemy special attack homes on you even if you jump out of the way, even the fat frogs at the beginning turn in mid air. Use DODGE or else...
And the lightsaber feels weak, like you are hitting them with a toy. :negative:

But worst of all are the faces. The prosperface in the MC and the weird eyes lady.
:prosper:

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I really wish I could enjoy this game more, but melee combat is just not my thing, I suck at it. Or maybe i'm just getting old

I like the game (for current year standards) but I missed some blaster action. Throwing the lightsaber doesn't provide the same experience.

JDR13

Arcane
Beat this last week and it turned out to be quite decent for current year.

Yeah, it was better than I was expecting. I thought the level design was really good. The loot system sucked though.

But worst of all are the faces. The prosperface in the MC and the weird eyes lady.
:prosper:

It's weird that the human faces are so bad because the alien faces are actually pretty good.

Modron

Arcane
Probably the result of relying on face scan technology of the main characters versus just having an artist create the less important characters from scratch. Mocap stuff needs to be retouched heavily by a good eye or it can quickly veer into the realm of prosper.

kris

Arcane
Lol, wtf. 8 million copies? That's ridiculously more than I expected. I guess Star Wars is still ridiculously popular.

I think that with the awful movies had their part here. It got people craving for something more "traditional" star wars.

They certainly wont learn the lesson here...

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Lol, wtf. 8 million copies? That's ridiculously more than I expected. I guess Star Wars is still ridiculously popular.

Star Wars games have always been good. I don't like any of the movies, original trilogy included, but I don't think I've ever played a Star Wars game I didn't like other than TOR. I didn't play the EA lootbox fest that was Battlefront 2

JDR13

Arcane
Star Wars games have always been good. I don't like any of the movies, original trilogy included, but I don't think I've ever played a Star Wars game I didn't like other than TOR. I didn't play the EA lootbox fest that was Battlefront 2

Eh...what? Most of the Star Wars games released since the Jedi Knight series up until this one were mediocre at best.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron

Eh...what? Most of the Star Wars games released since the Jedi Knight series up until this one were mediocre at best.

Maybe I just wasn't aware of them? I can't think of any bad ones other than the two I mentioned

Zibniyat

Arcane
The Force Unleashed and Force Unleashed II were mediocre, but still fun enough and not bad. Not much good either though.

Empire at War (an RTS) was more bad than good, with awful real-time strategic management, and (tactical) battles were either exploits of game's flaws, or throwing waves after waves of squads at an enemy without need of much thinking (not that most RTSs are any better). Add to that the hideously designed faction that came with the expansion, and you really have an overall failed attempt at reviving the Star Wars RTS sub-genre.

LEGO Star Wars games are supposedly good and fun. I never cared because I mostly don't play games meant for kids aged 10 and less.

What else was/is there? That MMO is an MMO, hence it should be avoided like the Coronavirus bioweapon. Multiplayer-focused MMOs are probably fun most of the time, but as far as single-player games go... an entire decade was filled with mediocre games at best.

sullynathan

Arcane
Respawn is probably EA's best studio right now with two big commercial hits that exceeded expectations.
What else was/is there? That MMO is an MMO, hence it should be avoided like the Coronavirus bioweapon. Multiplayer-focused MMOs are probably fun most of the time, but as far as single-player games go... an entire decade was filled with mediocre games at best.
There's republic commando, some dance star wars games the aforementioned jedi knight fps and tps games

Zibniyat

Arcane
I was focusing on post-2006 period. Republic Commando is a 2005 game, same as KOTOR II for example.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Maybe I just wasn't aware of them? I can't think of any bad ones other than the two I mentioned

Of the genres I play, I'd say Force Unleashed was mediocre and Rebel Assault 1 and 2 were fucking terrible. The rest were all pretty good though, which is probably a pretty nice batting average. I know nothing about the RTS games, racers and shit though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom