Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars Star Wars: Kotor III is coming

Captain Shrek

Face the truth guys. Just face it.

Star wars was for kids. You were supposed to grow out of it and read real books and indulge in real literature like reading Wordsworth or something. Instead you still seek emotional engagement in stories written for children. KOTOR 2 at least was slightly mature attempt at a franchise that is NOT worth making a mature attempt at, but still it managed to force the story to grow a bit into something that was akin to serious text.

That is the real problem with you people.

You are still little children with their immature ideas forced into adult bodies.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yet I often see people who say they enjoy KotOR 1's story more. Hurts a little each time. All it did was coast through a quite generic good vs evil storyline and threw in as many references to the original trilogy as possible and a decent twist. The result: SW franchise fans gushing.

It is easy to detest KOTOR2's storyline if you only played it unmodded. (And many should be forgiven for not giving it a second chance after doing so). The dissapointment of the ending as shipped by Bio/LA taints their perception of the game as a whole.
I've actually only played through unmodded, and while the ending did feel obviously rushed in comparison to the rest, it still adequately dealt with the main stuff (Kreia and you, even Sion). There was just a bit of a question of what your party was really up to the whole time on Malachor. I am on a playthrough of TSLRCM 1.7 right now actually, so will be seeing what the changes were soon enough (though I am playing through Gothic series beside it and am definitely focused more on it, so maybe not so soon). I do wish Obsidian had a more free reign though, would have been great to see what else they would have put into it.

Kitako

Arcane

Star wars was for kids. You were supposed to grow out of it and read real books and indulge in real literature like reading Wordsworth or something. Instead you still seek emotional engagement in stories written for children. KOTOR 2 at least was slightly mature attempt at a franchise that is NOT worth making a mature attempt at, but still it managed to force the story to grow a bit into something that was akin to serious text.

You are still little children with their immature ideas forced into adult bodies.
I tried to pass to the adult age of videogaming, then I saw the offer of "mature" games and crawled back to my lightsabers and child toys.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Captain Shrek

I tried to pass to the adult age of videogaming, then I saw the offer of "mature" games and crawled back to my lightsabers and child toys.

I am not aasking you not to enjoy it (how could I? I enjoy it too!). All I am saying is remembering that it is not literature, just kiddie stuff.

Endemic

Arcane
So no, I don't agree that KOTOR handled it well, because there again we see the force as God-like with dead staying alive with just the power of the force, devastating planets etc. While the overall theme was a bit more interesting than many other modern takes it just didn't fit well and was to bombastic IMO.

Ah, but Sion's dependance on that proves to be his undoing, and it's hardly a pleasant existence. Likewise with Nihilus (who's basically lost his humanity and become a mindless vampire by the endgame). Kreia even remarks that she dislikes it as a crutch.

Captain Shrek

So if I have sex with an adult, it's considered pedophilia? Should I do it only with kids from now on to abide the law?
I don't think you need be concerned there. All the "adults" you will encounter most of them will be like you or you will end up like Crispy. So no trouble there. Carry on! ;)

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Yet I often see people who say they enjoy KotOR 1's story more. Hurts a little each time. All it did was coast through a quite generic good vs evil storyline and threw in as many references to the original trilogy as possible and a decent twist. The result: SW franchise fans gushing.
Not references. Blatant copying. Take essentials for ticking fanboy funny bits (Malak having a respirator voice for example is there for obvious reasons), and add in mega-sized egostroking into the plot, and voila.

And actually KotOR2 was the perfect Star Wars in terms of writing. Period. It decided to make things a bit more interesting and tackle more serious themes and setting implications (free will being a key subject) that others hadn't done, being largely a deconstruction of the original films and tearing the Extended Universe a new asshole. Not to mention it's appropriately critical of the Jedi and the Force.

The force since the original movies really has just been boring superpowers. the Jedi are superheroes by now, cloned with the same power. Back then (partly due to technical limitations, but as much due to story) the force was mystic and interesting, a tool that the jedi could use to affect things. So no, I don't agree that KOTOR handled it well, because there again we see the force as God-like with dead staying alive with just the power of the force, devastating planets etc. While the overall theme was a bit more interesting than many other modern takes it just didn't fit well and was to bombastic IMO.
That's because the original trilogy were just damn good adventure movies. Everything after them has been hurrdurr with the brief respite of KotOR2's deconstruction of the entire franchise after them, which is why it is so good. Not to mention the bombastic doesn't hurt the story at all because the story deals with bigger themes.

Black

Arcane
Stop hating on Malak, he was as original as bioware is creative.
YQwF4.jpg

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
KotOR ruined it's own twist in the first 5 minutes of gameplay, I can't see how anyone who isn't Volourn could be suprised by it. "Hey amnesiac guy I've never met! Let me tell you about the big bad evil's big bad apprentice who is TOTALLY dead, so nevermind about that. Wow, you sure are pretty skilled in some esoteric shit for a deckhand, man did I choose the right stranger to be best buds with!"

Is there a patch that fixes KotOR II without adding horrible fan acting?

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

They Killed Sean Bean! Bastards! problem with Mature stuff is that when you read a lot after some time you get throu pretty much of entire (intresting) classics... and 99% of modern literature are as deep as Bethpizda and as creative as Biowhores... So childish stuff like Tolkien books are welcomed :incline:

Kotor II would be Genius if made on egine allowing something more than binary choice between ''good'' of Jedi and ''evil'' of Sith. For an example ending involving the Destruction of Force the perfect :troll: of Lucas.

Ebonsword

Arcane
That's because the original trilogy were just damn good adventure movies. Everything after them has been hurrdurr...

Actually, I kind of like the Clone Wars TV series, especially when it gets all military sci-fi.

That series of episodes in Season 2 involving the second invasion of Geonosis was pretty kick ass, for example.

kris

Arcane

Wrong tempus. Star wars IS for kids NOW. the original movies WAS NOT that until they brought in the Ewoks and overall the return of the jedi wasn't either.

Captain Shrek

Wrong tempus. Star wars IS for kids NOW. the original movies WAS NOT that until they brought in the Ewoks and overall the return of the jedi wasn't either.
Fair enough. AS LONG AS you can tell me why the original was not meant for kids. Probably you should read the rest of the post to see what I meant when I used that phrase. I thoroughly acknowledge that I did not clarify it. When you read e.g. Wordsworth as a Kid and then you read it again as an adult, then probably you will see how I see it being not meant for kids. Can you obtain a deeper insinuation of such "adult" knowledge from star wars?

You can. But it is more about recognizing why it is not only proper but also meaningfully motivated to make/write such fiction for children so that they become moral and courageous people.

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
What did the first 2 star wars movies have that made them for kids? Don't give the proving a negative fallacy, Shrek.

Captain Shrek

What did the first 2 star wars movies have that made them for kids? Don't give the proving a negative fallacy, Shrek.

Have you actually read that correctly?

I am talking about the depth and the skill of making it.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Why does simple entertainment = for kids? They're fun films with a fun universe and memorable characters. Why can only kids enjoy that? Taking Star Wars too seriously is one thing, but being upset that the new films (and most products) are as crap as they are is certainly valid.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Perhaps if there were better AAA science fiction rpg franchises the accumulating flaws in the kotor series would be less of a ready topic

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
Btw, Darth Maul has returned in Clone Wars. He had transformed into a drider (I kid you not) until his brother found him and got him shiny new metallic legs.

Fucking Lucas loves raping great characters.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom