Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Thread - Shattered Space expansion coming September 30th

Yosharian

Arcane
I tested the Armour Penetration perk against dinos that looked as if they had armored bodies.
no alien wildlife are not enemies, you have to test against humans
I literally wrote in the post that I did test it against human enemies and it didn't do anything

Also, it DID boost damage against the dinos by like, 10% tops

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I'll say another thing, I was testing perks earlier and pretty much every high rank combat perk I tested doesn't work well at all.

I tested the Armour Penetration perk against dinos that looked as if they had armored bodies. Almost nothing. Tested against armored guards at a space station. Nothing. The dinos went from taking 8 damage to taking 9 damage. That's with 4 ranks.

The Targeting perk claims to improve accuracy but I couldn't detect any improvement at all. The x-ray vision thing works though.

I tested Crippling and shot the guards with many, many rounds of a not-powerful gun. I barely saw the perk do anything. 99/100 the guards just died before they had a chance to get downed.

I don't see much point in investing in combat skills beyond either Laser/Ballistic and then also the skill for specializing in a weapon type (I am going lasers). So that is only 8 levels you need to dedicate to combat. Maybe you could pick up explosives if you want better grenades.

Yosharian

Arcane
Also, it DID boost damage against the dinos by like, 10% tops
how do you see the damage numbers?
The game settings has an option to display floating damage numbers

Even that is buggy as fuck, when I was testing with the shotgun it wasn't showing the numbers correctly

Astonishing the state that this game has shipped in tbh, and Todd has the nerve to say "buy a new computer" bahaha

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Since Vic is so hellbent on how this game is I decided to play it again. I played for 15 minutes. It was full of surprising action!

I went for the next MQ objective. Some Venus (yes, 500C to -150C or whatever) planet with Sarah. To a small outpost.

Since I haven't played for a while I accidentally threw a mine upon landing as I don't remember controls. Then a walking robot walked into it and got damaged for about 1/3 of HP.

Sarah screamed "This is murder! You're on your own!" and left me running into the uh... wilderness? I mean emptiness of the planet.

I wanted to apologize but everybody in the outpost started shooting me. I had to kill all of them. Including the woman who didn't wear any suit on Venus.

But before I shot last 2 people Sarah came back and helped me shoot them.

Then I talked with her and she said my choices are doubtful but she'll stick with me because I help her (do I? I don't remember).

So, um... yeah, great game.

ropetight

Savant
I'll say another thing, I was testing perks earlier and pretty much every high rank combat perk I tested doesn't work well at all.

I tested the Armour Penetration perk against dinos that looked as if they had armored bodies. Almost nothing. Tested against armored guards at a space station. Nothing. The dinos went from taking 8 damage to taking 9 damage. That's with 4 ranks.

The Targeting perk claims to improve accuracy but I couldn't detect any improvement at all. The x-ray vision thing works though.

I tested Crippling and shot the guards with many, many rounds of a not-powerful gun. I barely saw the perk do anything. 99/100 the guards just died before they had a chance to get downed.
So combat is FPS with RPG flavoring?

Late Bloomer

Scholar

Vyvian

Educated
The question was poorly presented and so open ended it gave Todd the easy out with that lame answer so he took it.

If Starfield, Diablo 4 and BG3 are off the table, what will be RPG of the year?
Colony Ship, Caves of Lore, Space Wreck, and Colony Ship has a chance with them on the board anyways.
Thanks. I’ll check these out.

Colony Ship is great but man was I surprised with Caves of Lore. I highly recommend both but with a special nod towards Caves of Lore.
Colony Ship looks interesting but I have zero interest in early access indie games. That's an immediate disqualifier. I'll check it out when it launches and it sounds like it'll be soon.

Caves of Lore immediately grabbed my attention. No problem throwing $10 on that.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
I played for 30 mins today. As I have noted, I play quite slow as that is how I enjoy playing. I can't imagine the sights the players of Starfield would experience playing at a more normal, or even a fast pace. These are the prominent NPC's I encountered in my half an hour of play.

I had a quest that took me to the Demios Staryard. Where I needed to apply for a job. This is the company spokesperson and salesmutt. who has a long winded history of decorated military service.
starfielddeimosstaryardboss.jpg

Next up was a trip back to Mars. After being asked to commit a crime by a tanned Australian accented mining underling (I have to be at a spot at 5pm when everyone leaves so I can delete some files), I decided to look around. I found the boss of the entire Mars mining operation. His dialogue is relevent unlike the above picture.
starfieldminingboss.jpg

Looking around Cydonia a bit more while I wait to delete the files, I found this person. He works for the Trade Authority. His dialogue is quite relevant to the overall writing quality of the game.
starfieldcydoniata.jpg

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Modern AAA games are just utterly opposed to heterosexual male preferences. :argh::argh::argh::argh:

This is seen across the board. You can have gay bear fuckery and ugly male strippers, but attractive women are verboten.

Fucking sucks.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Astonishing the state that this game has shipped in tbh, and Todd has the nerve to say "buy a new computer" bahaha

nothing astonishing

this is old bethesda formula - ship a technical frankenstein with a good toolset so fans can fix the game themselves

2 years later they reap all game awards. todd is a genius

historically the coding at bethesda is the worst in the industry

remember skyrim had the worst launch in history and is the worst travesty in history of gaming (no optimisation flags for release build, cant use more than 1 cpu core, unresponsive UI etc.)

911 Jumper

Learned
These people have no principles:

Anyway, Starfield's stuffed with “blacks and women are the future” stuff and of course LGBT prop.

But curiously it hasn't put people off.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom