Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stellaris - Paradox new sci-fi grand strategy game

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Upcoming DLC is promising
rMz6mw.jpeg

Humanophage

Arcane
I keep trying to like it, but it is constantly degenerating into tedious micromanagement. The whole vibe feels like if in Victoria 2, you had to have separate units to build railroads and you always had to do it manually. There is also no unified screen for buildings on different planets, so you are constantly switching between planets to keep upgrading things. The pop management is silly as well - why can't you just have a single screen with all pops where you can drag and drop them, and it's instead this weird thing with drop-down menus. I'm also playing on small maps, it must be pure nightmare on large maps. Besides, the alien factions feel generic and poorly distinguishable from one another.

Last edited:

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
I keep trying to like it, but it is constantly degenerating into tedious micromanagement. The whole vibe feels like if in Victoria 2, you had to have separate units to build railroads and you always had to do it manually. There is also no unified screen for buildings on different planets, so you are constantly switching between planets to keep upgrading things. The pop management is silly as well - why can't you just have a single screen with all pops where you can drag and drop them, and it's instead this weird thing with drop-down menues. I'm also playing on small maps, it must be pure nightmare on large maps. Besides, the alien factions feel generic and poorly distinguishable from one another.
They literally introduced a distinct horde mechanic just like in their historical games. Now imagine they did that for the Byzantines and the English and so forth. Because as many customization options as there are, the difference societies just don't feel interesting.

Humanophage

Arcane
The whole vibe feels like if in Victoria 2
almost like all their games are the same mechanically and they keep tricking people into paying money for UI themes
I didn't say that; I love Victoria 2 and think it is on point with the balance of micro and micro. Stellaris, on the other hand, goes hard on utterly unnecessary micromanagement that is purely a function of its bad interface missing obvious screens.

Codex Year of the Donut
almost like all their games are the same mechanically and they keep tricking people into paying money for UI themes
I didn't say that; I love Victoria 2 and think it is on point with the balance of micro and micro. Stellaris, on the other hand, goes hard on utterly unnecessary micromanagement that is purely a function of its bad interface missing obvious screens.
How many times have they bamboozled you into buying the same game?

Humanophage

Arcane
I don't think they're the same game at all. If Stellaris was just Victoria 2 in space, I'd have been quite happy.

Codex Year of the Donut
I don't think they're the same game at all. If Stellaris was just Victoria 2 in space, I'd have been quite happy.
Answer the question

Humanophage

Arcane
Answer the question
OK, probably 0. EU3 and EU4 were pretty similar, so maybe 1, but EU3 was in a bargain bin so it was under $1.

Codex Year of the Donut
Answer the question
OK, probably 0. EU3 and EU4 were pretty similar, so maybe 1, but EU3 was in a bargain bin so it was under $1.
Damn they scammed you good.

DesolationStone

Educated
Same feelings. I did my first match in two years and I became the leader of the galaxy with literally empires as powerful as mine asking me to become their overlord (lel) and I was Ironman. By the way, the most annoying thing for me is the damn fleet: the management screen is terrible (it can only show you six fleets at a time) and the "transit" system is a nightmare with hundreds of ghost ships roaming the galaxy. That's why I quit the game at the end crisis, because I started with 10 well-organised fleets and now I have 573 small fleets consisting of one or two bugged ships (I can't even delete some of them because they're bugged!). They finally fixed the performance problem (I had about 2000 pops in my empire over 52 planets and everything was running fine) at least.

Out of curiosity is the late game performance still god-awful or did they finally clean that up? The other day I realized it's been 6 years since I played the game last so I was feeling the itch to check out all the patches and DLC, but if it still slows to a crawl I may not bother. That's one of the nice things about CK3 but I assume updating the older games to the newer engine would probably break a ton of shit.

Out of curiosity is the late game performance still god-awful or did they finally clean that up? The other day I realized it's been 6 years since I played the game last so I was feeling the itch to check out all the patches and DLC, but if it still slows to a crawl I may not bother. That's one of the nice things about CK3 but I assume updating the older games to the newer engine would probably break a ton of shit.
It's better, but it also depends a lot on what you consider late game. I consider it 100 years in, which is when a competent player or high difficulty AIs tend to have the tech tree close to finished and start making huge flees and megastructures. Other people consider it 250 years in, which is when the end game crisis will spawn by default settings.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom