Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stellaris - Paradox new sci-fi grand strategy game

Humanophage

Arcane
Probably the most infuriating thing for me are the dumbfuck flashing spam notifications that in other Paradox games belong in the log.

I am referring to this:
bf56kkhczoaa1.png

It's so bad I think I am deleting it because this is giving me a headache. There is no mod to fix it either, unlike things like the stupidly huge icons in the outliner*. And to think people attack the perfectly serviceable UI in Imperator.

* Probably intended for the console twerps.

Last edited:

Tyrr

Liturgist
Paradox's solution against diplo spam: Pompous Purists

Last edited:

Humanophage

Arcane
There is no mod to fix it either
there is. shut the fuck up, we don't care.
Really, which one?
There is no mod to fix it either, unlike things like the stupidly huge icons in the outliner*.
There used to be:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2491808568&searchtext=spam

Not sure if the updated version someone made works or not:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2824838770
It's only for diplomacy. Or is it for the rest of the flickering spam?

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
How do I roll back to an earlier version? Updates broke European Phenotype and Names.
in steam right click on the game > properties > betas

there may also be newer versions of the mods made, depending on how recent the update was.

I've been using this instead of European phenotypes, because iirc it was banned:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=685069894
this too to add the old models in:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2807593625

No idea if it works on the latest update though.

damn, last time i used it it could mute pretty much everything (like 4 years ago). not even mods can save this anymore, apparently we're not even going to have an updated alphamod. stellaris without alphamod is just 100% pointless.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Man Stellaris still out here crushing Vicky3 and CK3. Dead on tied with EU4 for average and max players. I feel bad for Paradox. Oh, and HoI4 has 2x the players of EU4/Stellaris. God damn.

How do I roll back to an earlier version? Updates broke European Phenotype and Names.
Is it just showing its incompatible or what?

Go into the mod's folder and change the used version. You can also * in the version numbers, which means "all/any".
Example:
supported_version="3.6.*"
Means it works with any version that's a version of 3.6 - say, 3.6.1 or a 3.6.1. If it was 3.*, it would work with any version using the 3. prefix.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
How is HoIIV still gaining popularity with more regular players than at release? Wtf?!
It seems kinda weird to me that HoI4 is the most popular Paradox game. I don't particularly like it. Lot of weird mechanics. Ah well.

Man Stellaris still out here crushing Vicky3 and CK3. Dead on tied with EU4 for average and max players. I feel bad for Paradox. Oh, and HoI4 has 2x the players of EU4/Stellaris. God damn.
Stellaris is getting good treatment on the hand of the Custodian Initiative.
Only thing holding it back is the old garbo version of the Clausewitz Engine.
By the time the devs get finished with it, it might be as good as end-state CKII.

A Stellaris 2 with a more coherent vision and a more modern engine would be awesome. Sadly it probably won't happen until after we get EUV and HOI5.

How is HoIIV still gaining popularity with more regular players than at release? Wtf?!
Yeah I don't get it either, that game is so obviously being coasted along its not even funny. From what I hear, the performance is still garbage.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Stellaris is getting good treatment on the hand of the Custodian Initiative.
Only thing holding it back is the old garbo version of the Clausewitz Engine.
By the time the devs get finished with it, it might be as good as end-state CKII.

A Stellaris 2 with a more coherent vision and a more modern engine would be awesome. Sadly it probably won't happen until after we get EUV and HOI5.

Yeah I don't get it either, that game is so obviously being coasted along its not even funny. From what I hear, the performance is still garbage.
I think it was one of the earlier games with some of the new modding stuff and it has tons of super popular mods. Also the fascists love it to make fascism win. And it is more of a wargame than other Paradox games.

If Paradox every actually made their non-wargame mechanics good and not just streamer fodder and memes, maybe they could compete.

I'd be interested to see how the breakdown for singleplayer vs. multiplayer is for Paradox games. EU4, Hoi4 and Stellaris have a truly space-age advantage over Vic3 and CK3: the ability to text chat in multiplayer. MP for Vic3 and CK3 is basically dead in water when you have to install chinese spyware before even joining the game just to be able to communicate with people. Of course the older games also have vastly better mod scenes.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
I know a lot of people that play Stellaris exclusively in multiplayer.
How? That seems like an incredible hassle to set up plus you probably can't ever pause yeah? So you gotta play on speed 2 and chat with the bros through the slow parts?

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Yup. Normal speed ever since like a few years ago when they expanded a lot of midgame stuff, like global diplomacy and lately subjugation and of course improved performance.

The game does play differently. More like an RTS and less like a TBS. Not so big a fan of that, but it's a different skill to manufacture. More reactive and less contemplative. Helps to play the single player to become good enough for real time play.

The one good thing about playing Stellaris without pausing is that is helps keep snowballing from getting out of control since the advantages of controlling a huge empire is tempered by the lack of ability to micromanage it for greater efficiency. Still I find it awful due to how a single war can decapitate anyone and a single battle decides every war. And usually who is going to win every war is fairly obvious before you even fight it, someone across the galaxy has probably already won the game before you've even explored enough to find them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom