Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Subnautica: Released (SPOILER WARNING past Post #1)

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I refuse to play Marxist trash. When the developer came out against guns and refusing to put them into his game is when I passed on it. Plus, a woman would have a hard time surviving on their own. Check any survival show with men and women and the women can't figure the most simple things out.

Bliblablubb

Arcane

After Below Zero it is clear that narrative designers are the last thing these guys need more of.

But writing is definitely their main problem.
After checking my playtime for both, there wasn't that much difference actually, so the size wasn't much of an issue. I didn't feel the need to spend extra hours to explore every biome after having all blueprints tho, your mileage my vary.
But BZ is more story driven, and that's where it failed for me, especially since I remember glimpses of the old beta story. The new one feels like someone tried to quickly slap something onto a world built for something else and called it a day.
Outpost Zero for example, is called a dead end where nothing happens and employees are just sent to punish them with nothing to do. Exept it was set up as a research station for the alien teleporter nearby? Oopsie, we ignore that is there... until the player uses it in the end...:hahano:
In the old version, the player was alone on the planet, everyone else was on the space station in orbit. Y'know, that yuge thing from the intro nobody talks about, unless they meant that with "the satellite" you have to disable monitoring from for no reason...
In that version you found that mutated bacteria and sent it up to the station, your sister being the handler up there, who was caught between the stereotypical corpo badguy pressuring her to monetize it and her young sister (the player) telling her "noooo that's evil".
I assume the player would have used ALAN's knowledge to destroy the bacteria, instead of, I am still laughing, her roboticist sister mixing an antidote with her school knowledge... yeah. :hahano:
ALAN was also an elitist dick who considered humans inferior trash.
On top of that, the MC had a spunky british VA, instead of someone with a hard on for Ashley Williams from Mass Effect squeezing that VA in instead, so she can read poetry again... :roll:

Yes, writers is EXACTLY what they need the most.

Well, that and remembering that a game called "Subnautica" should, just a thought, maybe not have 50% of it's playtime on land.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've been playing Below Zero and am struggling with motivation. Starting from nothing again, building the exact same tech tree over again, I mean fine. Somehow the world isn't sucking me in like it did the first time. It really is a huge problem that there isn't a vehicle as fun as the Seamoth, and it's very demotivating that the more I upgrade the Seatruck, the worse it is as a vehicle as it becomes increasingly impossible to maneuver in anything besides empty space. In the first game, every upgrade gave you more options or better performance, but not here. I guess I'm supposed to be dumping my upgrades whenever I want to go somewhere small? So is this an exploration vehicle or not? More and more the game keeps getting in the way of what I want to be doing, and I just want to get each task over with. I dislike leaving a game half done, but when I start feeling this way it's usually time to abandon and move on.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
I guess I'm supposed to be dumping my upgrades whenever I want to go somewhere small? So is this an exploration vehicle or not?
Yes, that was apparently the design idea behind it. Build up your mobile base like a caravan home, then detach it to go exploring deeper. Only two massive problems:
A) The map is too small to make it necessary to have a mobile base.
B) The individual modules are pretty meh. You can't even put planters in it. I assume you are supposed to use an aquarium with (bladder)fishes for your needs?

I only had the prawn module on mine and even that was pointless. The cabin can go anywhere, is super durable, and with the perimeter defense even the biggest enemy does almost no dmg when used upon grabbing.
No need to haul the suit around for resource gathering either. The emperor sea monkeys provide. :obviously:

BoroMonokli

Novice
Does anyone have anything that can scratch the subnautica itch? or, preferably the itches it left unscratched due to its "political stance".

That is, shooting sharks with a dart gun, flying my seamoth around like an attack helicopter throwing lasers/darts/torpedoes, dealing with resource management (I'm not 100% into thirst/hunger, fuel, metal, etc. will do just fine), and of course some "mothership" like submarine that is slow but bristling with either many smaller guns, or with big torpedoes designed to take down leviathans.

BoroMonokli

Novice
Well, if I want more of that atmosphere I can just launch subnautica.

What I'm looking for is more of a submarine / battleship driving now with some shooting.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I've been playing Below Zero and am struggling with motivation. Starting from nothing again, building the exact same tech tree over again, I mean fine. Somehow the world isn't sucking me in like it did the first time. It really is a huge problem that there isn't a vehicle as fun as the Seamoth, and it's very demotivating that the more I upgrade the Seatruck, the worse it is as a vehicle as it becomes increasingly impossible to maneuver in anything besides empty space. In the first game, every upgrade gave you more options or better performance, but not here. I guess I'm supposed to be dumping my upgrades whenever I want to go somewhere small? So is this an exploration vehicle or not? More and more the game keeps getting in the way of what I want to be doing, and I just want to get each task over with. I dislike leaving a game half done, but when I start feeling this way it's usually time to abandon and move on.

BZ should have been an expansion pack (or "Dee El Cee" as the millenyuls call it) to the original.

It has some fun moments, some new fishies to contend with and a lot of backstory and hand-holding that the original didn't have. Exactly the ingredients for an expansion.

Unfortunately it also did a lot wrong, mainly removing the constant sense of dread from the first game. The feeling of "I'm in some underwater volcano inside an underwater cave 3000 metres under water on an alien planet with an infection coursing through my veins but I just need to make it another few steps to see where this alien cable is going, if my 4 percent oxygen just lasts and JESUS FUCK REAPER HELP HELP TORPEDO SOMETHING GLASS CRACK DEAD :rage: ", has been replaced by, "oh wow the Half-Life worm actually killed me but I will just respawn nearby in my mobile base and bring it along with me, watch out for those incredibly slow jellyfish. Oh here's a clear direction on where to find my lover who is also a lesbian.

No sense of horror, helplessness, aimlessness or exploration. No Subnautica. That bitch in her lair with the wacky zoomer couches and dog just put the final nail in the coffin.

BoroMonokli

Novice
Funny, Silent Hunter is something I think my father would appreciate a lot, playing submarines in World of Warships already. Sub Culture looks like a weird arcade game which it might be, but could do with either a first person mode or something that controls more like Subnautica's cyclops.

I do share Zarniwoop's impressions to some degree about BZ: The "story" felt unwelcome, especially after experiencing bit of the original early access story. The upgrade tree was exactly the same, but the oxygen plants casualized diving a bit too much (guess journalists/streamers didn't play far enough in the original?), and of course just reading about the forced "sandworm" segment was enough to kill my interest halfway through.

Archimedean Dynasty's gameplay reminds me of space fighter sims at first, but the UI and visuals are good enough to give the right atmosphere. I've got it on my radar.

Now I know the following is a bit of "blogging", but I first saw Subnautica when a friend of mine streamed it, and my first impression was asking him why isn't he building a torpedo turret or a dart turret to deter the (juvenile ghost) leviathan that kept biting his mech suit occasionally, as it reawakened in me all the memories of X-Com TFTD, and later when I played the game, I was itching for a "development" process (teching up) much like Apocalypse's crafts, from the lowly hoverbike (I always preferred hovercars, that additional shield module slot is a big helper later on) all the way to the annihilator, the shift of focus from exploration and hiding to escalating confrontation.

Last edited:
But subnautica would be a shitty game if you could just kill sea creatures. The game is all about the atmosphere.
I'm very very very sorry to burst your bubble, but if you're good enough and time things properly, you can even kill levis. <3

As it should be. However, murdering big creatures isn't a basic gameplay, but a challenge to the dedicated who know mechanics very well.

orcinator

Liturgist
But subnautica would be a shitty game if you could just kill sea creatures. The game is all about the atmosphere.
I'm very very very sorry to burst your bubble, but if you're good enough and time things properly, you can even kill levis. <3

As it should be. However, murdering big creatures isn't a basic gameplay, but a challenge to the dedicated who know mechanics very well.
It's not a challenge because like all enemies in Subnautica they're incredibly passive and easy to avoid, but it sure takes dedication. I gave up on killing my first giant ghost snake after a couple minutes and just continued on my way.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik

It's not a challenge because like all enemies in Subnautica they're incredibly passive and easy to avoid, but it sure takes dedication. I gave up on killing my first giant ghost snake after a couple minutes and just continued on my way.
A Leviathan attacked me while I was exploring in the prawn suit. He went past me and got stuck in a cave, I had to punch him for quite a while to kill him.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
The best survival game in the world just received a major patch on all platforms!

Subnautica Living Large Update Released

Posted by Donya 9 hours ago
SN_Dec_22_LRGRM_website_1600x900-618x348.png

Hello Subnauts,

We’re delighted to bring you the long-awaited 2.0 update to Subnautica across all platforms.

This update has been a labor of love for the entire Subnautica team. As you might have seen in some of our previous blog posts, a lot of time has been spent addressing a ton of tech debt and bringing across some improved code from Below Zero.

Our goal was always to bring both Subnautica and Below Zero onto unified versions of Unity, and with today’s update, that goal has been achieved. By doing this, we’ve been able to implement several quality of life features, fix many outstanding bugs, and introduce some performance improvements that were already available in Below Zero.

We’ve also added some base pieces to Subnautica that were previously only available in Below Zero, specifically the Large Room, Glass Dome, and surface hatches. Now you can make your bases even more epic than before!

On top of these changes, we’ve also refactored and optimized our save system, which means it’s now even faster and more reliable to save and retrieve your save.
Other additions include:
  • Adding the TextMeshPro plugin, to improve UI readability and visual quality
  • Adding an ‘Unstuck’ button to the menu to help get you out of some sticky situations
  • Bringing over PDA pause, the ability to disable light flashes, and item bars from Below Zero
As for bug fixes, we’ve closed out over 800 in total, including multiple issues related to base building (server clipping, deconstructing buildings whilst inside them), vehicle navigation and piloting.

If you’re not quite ready to move to the new update, because you’re using mods on your save file or otherwise, you can also roll back to the ‘legacy’ beta on Steam to continue playing. Just head to ‘Properties,’ then ‘Betas,’ and choose ‘legacy’ from the drop down. You should do this before you open your save file to play.

We really hope that all of these changes make your Subnautica experience even better than ever! And as some eagle-eyed fans might have spotted, we might have some more exciting news for you in the new year.

But for now, enjoy, and happy diving!
Unknown Worlds

PATCH NOTES

All Platforms
  • Improved font rendering to increase UI readability and visual quality
  • Adds accessibility features: UI scaling, PDA pause, option to disable light flashes
  • Item bars
  • Adds pinned recipes
  • Adds run mode
  • Improved Air Bladder functionality
  • Adds the Large Room and Glass Dome base pieces from Subnautica: Below Zero
  • Adds Land Hatches from Subnautica: Below Zero
  • Pings are now visible when piloting the Cyclops
  • Save system improvements
  • Improved performance
  • Improved subtitles sync
  • Loading screen improvements
  • Intro skipping improvements
  • Various performance optimizations
  • Improved control mapping, for things like transferring items between inventory and storage
  • Fixed some creatures not spawning properly
  • Fixes for some VFX issues
  • Fixed multiple terrain streaming issues (vehicles/items falling through)
  • Fixed multiple issues related to base-building, vehicles
  • Fixes for many possible photosensitive issues
  • … And many more various bug fixes!

PC
  • Changed how the dev menu is accessed to SHIFT + `
  • Fixed jittery movement on land
  • Less likely to get stuck in Alien Bases while operating the Prawn
  • Added an option to limit FPS
  • Added Cloud Save Support
  • Legacy Steam branch for Mod Integrity
  • Fixed VR frame lag in PDA UI screen movement
  • Fixed a VR issue with player orientation being slanted in some scenarios
  • Fixed Sunbeam countdown timer not showing up in VR
  • Fixed VR Main Menu prompts on selecting and interacting with the menu

PS4
  • Adds Portuguese (Portugal), Ukrainian and Spanish (Latin America) official support
  • Adds trophy translations for Finnish, Swedish, Chinese (Sim), Portuguese (Portugal), Spanish (Latin America)
  • Fix for Scanner Room not showing option to scan items
  • Fix for dying from fire damage repeatedly if died in intro cinematic
  • Fix for several items repairing automatically with save/load in some circumstances

PS5
  • Fix for the PDA Blueprints tab scrolling down and up by itself
  • Adds Ukrainian & Portuguese (Portugal) official support
  • Adds translations for trophies in Ukrainian, Portuguese (Portugal)

Windows Store (Coming soon)
  • Added an option to limit FPS
  • Adds Portuguese (Portugal) official support
  • Adds Ukrainian unofficial support
  • Adds achievements in a number of languages
  • Fixed Graphical Corruption when approaching Alien Bases on Low Preset

Xbox One, Xbox Series (Coming soon)
  • Adds achievements in a number of languages

Nintendo Switch
  • Improvements to Switch-specific UI/UX controls
  • Removed dev menu
  • Fix for moon rendering issues
  • Fix for “Read More” showing error
  • Fix for controls updating correctly for Pro controller after attaching Joy-Cons to a Switch in TV mode
  • Fix for some Cyclops modules breaking after the player has saves, quits, then loads back in

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I could handle no combat if you could build epic bases and there was some economy to manage or something. But it's so under developed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom