Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Subnautica: Released (SPOILER WARNING past Post #1)

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's one of my favorite survival games precisely because there is little mandatory basebuilding beyond setting up a bit of food production and enough resources to build your vehicles.

The focus is on exploration to find blueprints and figure out wtf is going on.

mkultra

Augur
Long Dark is my second-favorite survival game, yes. I wish more in the genre were like that.
It's horrible, you can't even jump or climb, imagine having to survive in the wild but if there's 20cm of height and you have to go around it. Also you have to eat like 2kg of meat every day to survive lol, IRL you can survive months without any food if you aren't extremely underweight so you have no stored fat. The dev is clueless about anything survival.
edit: meant to reply to Silva

mkultra

Augur
Really? I remember playing Long Dark in early access and finding it kinda meh. I'll take another look.

you can survive months without any food
who told you this?
Told me? I'm into fasting and autophagy myself, never went a full month (1 week is my max, went slowly from 24h to 3 days then longer and longer) so far but i have a friend who did. There are examples on for example youtube of people who's went for 1 year without any food, though these are very obese people with extreme amounts of body fat + also they do medical checkups weekly to make sure everything is ok. What's important is the intake of minerals, so a good salt (not industrail salt) is good to have each day.

The energy you get from fasting is quite incredible, you burn you own fat, which in turn makes you use ketones as energy, which is very efficient in comparison to the energy you get from food. So in a survival situation it will be very good because of how alert it makes you. Eating tons and tons of meat like you do in this game is ridiculous, he would be tired for hours after eating an entire animal. The energy would much better be spent elsewhere in a situation like that.

From a gameplay perspective it's maybe more fun that you have to find food every day, but it's highly unrealistic. Hardly the only game where they've done this, it's usually how food works in games, eat each day - or starve to death instantly lol. If the food industry could decide over science it's how it would work "factually" too ;)

Last edited:

jackofshadows

Magister
From a gameplay perspective it's maybe more fun that you have to find food every day, but it's highly unrealistic. Hardly the only game where they've done this, it's usually how food works in games, eat each day - or starve to death instantly lol. If the food industry could decide over science it's how it would work "factually" too ;)
In that game you have to find food only in order to sleep and quite a small amount for it. You can starve - hp will go down very slowly but that's fine. What you need there is to drink regularly but that's realistic. Also note that it's not just a game about survival but survival in extreme low temperatures - you need way more energy than in usual enviroment. What's not realistic is animals behaviour but that's obviously changed for gameplay purposes.

Last edited:

mkultra

Augur
In that game you have to find food only in order to sleep and quite a small amount for it. You can starve - hp will go down very slowly but that's fine. What you need there is to drink regularly but that's realistically. Also note that it's not just a game about survival but survival in extreme low temperatures - you need way more energy than in usual enviroment. What's not realistically is animals behaviour but that's obviously changed for gameplay purposes.
i haven't played it since many many years ago, original backer so maybe it was before it was even 100% finished it sounded great but i hated the gameplay (and to be honest the graphics too), didnt like you couldnt jump or climb, didn't think it fit in this type of game. I remember having to eat tons of meat to not die.
True, lower temps will drain energy more.

Last edited:

mkultra

Augur
What's important is the intake of minerals, so a good salt (not industrail salt) is good to have each day.
Pray tell, what mystical salts are these?
not the least mystical, just natural salts that has all the trace minerals that your body will need, taking just sodium chloride won't cut it.. Won't really matter if you fast for a day but if you go without trace minerals for days or weeks it's bad and can be dangerous. Water itself does contain some trace minerals as well but most people who's fasting adds some natural salt as well to make sure they get enough.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
It's one of my favorite survival games precisely because there is little mandatory basebuilding beyond setting up a bit of food production and enough resources to build your vehicles.

The focus is on exploration to find blueprints and figure out wtf is going on.
IMO it is not that much that the game releases very little base building, it is that the game has the "if you can find 2, you can probably find 10" philosophy, so it has a very low component count for its crafting. There is almost nothing requiring you to use 5 or 10 of the same component (exception : the basic metal, but you find them 4 by 4), which makes the crafting not grindy at all.

Last edited:

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Well, if I want more of that atmosphere I can just launch subnautica.

What I'm looking for is more of a submarine / battleship driving now with some shooting.
Windbound has hunting and ship-crafting (ships with sails, as the name implies), but the team clearly ran massively out of time and decided to cut all the storyline and replaced it by "you need to travel through 6 different but honestly very similar areas, finding the exit every time". Still, sailing with your home-made voodoo spiked catamaran in a storm is fun. That's pretty much the only thing fun in the game.

Last edited:

CoronerZg

Augur
Just finished the game. I really didn't expect the game to be so good. Every aspect was top notch.
And I hate survival/crafting games... but this was something special.
I'll be lucky as fuck if this turns out not to be the best game I've played in 2023.

CoronerZg

Augur
So what's the deal with a sequel? Worth it? Not worth it? Stay the fuck away from it? Does it still capture some magic
of the first one? Chatty female protagonist seems like a bad choice after the original... but maaaybe it can work?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So what's the deal with a sequel? Worth it? Not worth it? Stay the fuck away from it?
It's a pale shadow of the original but I guess still worth playing. Maybe.

While sequels are generally bigger and more ambitious than the original, this one is the opposite - smaller, more cramped, less ambitious, with pointless and boring extensive dry land sections nobody asked for and a protagonist that may be grating for you, depending how much you can ignore her (she wasn't the biggest problem for me).

More here: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...oiler-warning-past-post-1.120137/post-7175479

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
So what's the deal with a sequel? Worth it? Not worth it? Stay the fuck away from it? Does it still capture some magic
of the first one? Chatty female protagonist seems like a bad choice after the original... but maaaybe it can work?
One thing you must understand about Subnautica - the reason why it came out as good as it did, was by accident. The devs absolutely do not understand what core components made people love their game. Once you get around to the sequel you will understand.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Once you get around to the sequel you will understand.
Better yet, just don't play the sequel. It's not HORRIBLE but there's simply nothing of special value or interest. As a gamer there's nothing to see. (As a historian of game design or something, sure there are things to look at and talk about, mainly why it's not good.)

CoronerZg

Augur
Yeah, it would be shame to end up with a "meh" feeling about the whole series.
Sigh... guess I'll skip it. Anyway, thanks for the info guys.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Yeah, it would be shame to end up with a "meh" feeling about the whole series.
Sigh... guess I'll skip it. Anyway, thanks for the info guys.
I will make a prediction and say you will probably play it at a later date when you feel a longing for some of that original Subnautica atmosphere. After which you will only ever replay Subnautica, like I do.

One thing you must understand about Subnautica - the reason why it came out as good as it did, was by accident. The devs absolutely do not understand what core components made people love their game. Once you get around to the sequel you will understand.

After playing games for decades, I feel like this might be the case with a lot of great games. How else to explain the same people who made Ultima Underworld make Underworld Ascendant? People behind Planescape: Torment making Alpha Protocol. Legends behind Fallout making Outer Turds. Perhaps we are all just clueless morons floating in the vast void of universe's mysteries, and occasionally, we stumble onto something great, and manage not to despoil it too much. :M

This game really knows how to fuck you over.

Build my superfancy Prawn with most upgrades and got down to lava land. I make it to one of the last "dungeons" and find portal to the tower island. Deciding to make a trip to get the last upgrades for the Prawn with the blue crystal thingies. I cross the portal with the Prawn and park it close by why I seaglide all the way to the base, make the final upgrades and go back.
The Prawn is gone. Somehow clipped over a hundred meters

And my Cyclops is just at the "River" area entrance with big nasty there just swimming in circles around it.

:argh:

Ended up just planting brain coral all the way to my target.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom