Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

Discussion in 'BioWare' started by Sunsetspawn, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Dzupakazul Arbiter

Dzupakazul
    No, why? You don't get to switch Cernd to a Cleric just because Insect Plague gets nerfed by the Fireshield component. Inquisitors still get True Sight, innate immunities, access to the Sword of On-Hit Dispel, and with time, their Dispel Magic still ramps up and is instantly cast. Note that even that component is modular and you can either choose a 1x or 1,5x rating, in the latter case the nerf is much less of a problem.

Sure, but until SCS was mentioned I kept the discussion purely vanilla.

Not quite. Let's take Firkraag. Firkraag is level 23. Keldorn's increasing his chances to dispel him significantly past level 12, which is 1,200,000 XP. To dispel Firkraag with the same chances, the Bard needs level 24, which is 3,080,000.

Dispel is capped at level 30. Weapons like Carsomyr and Staff of the Magi hit as if they were level 30 dispellers, too.

EDIT: Actually, Dispel doesn't seem to be capped at all. I used the baseline of Carsomyr / SotM thinking it's the max, but really, when it comes to Dispel / Remove Magic, only your caster level matters, nothing else. If you're a level 40 caster, it seems your Dispel / Remove will also be level 40. The level 20 cap on caster level only applies to spell durations and max damage from spells like Skull Trap, but Dispel Magic doesn't run off a caster level cap; it's directly looking at your levels relative to the target's caster levels.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    Because it's the only part of the kit that's actually important and it gives up a lot to get it.
    Probably right, been a while since I've even thought about this stuff. I know a bunch gets capped at 20, and Inquisitor has the highest dispel level possible.

actually, does dispel get capped at all? If so, then they were right about bards being the second best dispeller.

^ Top  
  3. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    Keldorn will eventually fight any Evil character. Those who want to romance Viconia would do well to either keep Keldorn out of the party or slap a helm of opposite alignment on Viconia.

^ Top  
  4. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    Inquisitor basically out-dispels everyone because of the doubling effect. So, unless he is half your level, he will be a better dispeller than you. He will definitely be the best dispeller once you are half way to level cap because literally no one else can get caster levels higher than him for dispel.

^ Top  
  5. Dzupakazul Arbiter

Dzupakazul
    I recommend not installing the component or using other means to change Keldorn to a Cavalier in that case. I think the 1.5x dispel is still solid, personally.
    It doesn't; see the EDIT.

He won't. He fights Edwin and Viconia. That's half of the available evil characters in the game; he has no qualms whatsoever with Korgan and Sarevok. Keldorn also won't attack an Evil Player Character solely on the basis of what their character sheet says. This was explicitly in the post you're quoting. In the Enhanced Edition, Keldorn doesn't even want to kill Dorn if you join them after doing Dorn's quests that involve killing righteous people; Keldorn only leaves the party if you accept Dorn's quests, but not afterwards.
    There's no Helmet of Opposite Alignment in BG2. Furthermore, Keldorn's conflict with Viconia isn't triggered by any alignment flag, it's just hardcoded into the game as a vitriolic interaction between these two characters. Changing Viconia's alignment wouldn't do anything.

^ Top  
  6. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    :what:
    :prosper:
    Keldorn merely being within 10 miles of Dorn should make him want to kill Dorn.
    pop open cluaconsole and use createitem with HELM02 of course.
    Show Spoiler
    I don't consider it cheating if I already obtained it in BG1 to begin with.

^ Top  
  7. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    Just made me realize a big downside to dual/multi classing casters people never discuss is how much easier it makes your buffs to dispel.
    Also, bard buffs should be really hard to dispel.

^ Top  
  8. Nano Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Nano
    You'd think Keldorn would cast Detect Evil before pledging himself to Charname's service.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Dzupakazul Arbiter

Dzupakazul
    Bit less of an issue considering SCS mages mostly also use spells like Breach a lot, and that arcane casters already lean on Spell Immunity: Abjuration for this eventuality.

^ Top  
  10. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    Dorn gets a free pass because he is cuckdog's homosexual cumstain. He also gets a free pass because cuckdog are crap programmers and most likely forgot to code in a check for Keldorn getting huffy when you kill innocents. In other words, it's all cuckdog being cuckdog.

As for the rest, it sounds like BG2 dropped the ball. In BG, I believe Ajantis will eventually pick a fight with just about any Evil NPC. I am not sure simply because I never recruited him as I can't stand him.

• cuck cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Gargaune Scholar

Gargaune
    Yes, that sounds sensible. I'd prefer to let the scene play out, let the dice fall where they may and all that, but if I find their mere presence prevents the trade from going through, I could just savescum and do some prophylactic killing.

You would, but he didn't. :smug:

^ Top  
  12. Lagole Gon Arcane Patron

Lagole Gon
    Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Freshly scanned.

[​IMG]

Show Spoiler

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• hopw roewur ne x 5
    • WTF am I reading x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • Friendly x 2
    • Bad Spelling x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • incline x 1
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • Artistic x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Lonely Vazdru Pimp my Title

Lonely Vazdru
    Them japs sure know how to hold a grudge, don't they ?

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Tyranicon A Memory of Eternity Developer

Tyranicon
    I thought this was the beginning to wonderful hentai and I got disappointed.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Bara Erudite

Bara
    This is mean to say but I can't phrase it any other way.

If you wish to downgrade your baldur's gate 2 experience the guy who ported baldurs gate 1 to never winter nights 2 is doing the same for BG2 now.

I mean I can respect his commitment and guess this lets you play with more classes/races now but controlling a party in that game just feels so clunky when compared to IE games.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Sardine Dev Poster Literate

Sardine Dev Poster
    I wonder if a baldur's gate 1 review would catch traction on youtube if released on the 30th, the same day Baldur's Gate 3 is set to be released?

• No No x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Diablo1_reborn Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic Patron

Diablo1_reborn
    What a sight to behold!

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Nuke it from orbit Nuke it from orbit x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Ninjerk Arcane

Ninjerk
    Having it ready wouldn't hurt.

^ Top  
  19. Chippy Arcane

Chippy
    Nvidia cards don'y play well with the original BG do they?. There's pages of problems like this one: https://blog.yimingliu.com/2008/04/...h-and-disabling-nvidia-hardware-acceleration/ and various fixes that disable hardware acceleration and all that.

I bought a budget Geforce GT 1030 as a backup for running all my old games, and now realising it may have been a mistake. I've goy wyverns that are displayed split in half, arrows that fly facing 45 degrees to their target, birds flying backwards...

I usually turn all 3d effcts off, and then everything on, but I thihnk it's just down to Nvidia.
    :negative:

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. bec de corbin Educated

bec de corbin
    You might try using DGvoodoo, if you're having graphics issues.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Funposter Liturgist

Funposter
    cute!

^ Top  
  22. Chippy Arcane

Chippy
    Many thanks sir! That worked and solved all problems. :salute:
    Can't believe I didn't know that program existed. I might even consider getting rid of my old 98se PC, and my XP one as well now...

Edit: Ok, maybe not. But that's some amazing software. Using V7 for anyone else interested. Previous version didn't seem to launch. Maybe the settings were off. But V7 just worked.

^ Top  
  23. Mr. Magniloquent Liturgist

Mr. Magniloquent
    In retrospect, the music to Throne of Bhaal is much better than I remember. It thought it a little too bombastic when I first played it nearly two decades ago, but listening to some of the OST recently has changed my mind. The sweeping grandeur is appropriate for the events and setting of ToB while simply being quite good on its own operatic merits.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. pomenitul Savant

pomenitul
    I never tire of hearing this piece:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. Jedi Master Radek Arcane

Jedi Master Radek
    Interesting thing about Throne of Bhaal is how Bioware was trying to improve its quest design. There are at least 2 quests which can be solved by using a spell in a non combat way. Getting into monastery can be archived by like 3 ways. There is a liche quest with multiple solutions. It's super sad that ToB didn't get to be a full game.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.