Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread

Athelas

Arcane
nope. in contrast to DAO/DA2 you have active parry/dodge/block skill similar to Dragons Dogma/Dark Souls (only shittier) so when playing in 3rd person with controller you can actually pretend you play full action crpg :M
Or you could just play an action game that isn't complete shit.

Azarkon

Arcane
I do play WoW, and WoW >>> DAI when it comes to quest design.

Every 3-4 quests in WoW, you get a longer story line quest, complete with an in-game cutscene, a boss battle, and a nice reward at the end.

DAI? Kill 10 goats -> here's a bit of influence and gold for ya. Kill 10 bandits -> here's a bit of influence and gold for ya. Retrieve my ring from a bandit -> here's a bit of influence and gold for ya. Oh, and a piss poor ring you won't ever use.

nope. in contrast to DAO/DA2 you have active parry/dodge/block skill similar to Dragons Dogma/Dark Souls (only shittier) so when playing in 3rd person with controller you can actually pretend you play full action crpg :M

any fantasy action game you can recommend?:troll:
i have around 600hours in Dark Souls 1, 300 in Dark Souls 2, 150 in Demons Souls and 2 full playthroughs of Dragons Dogma... i need to play something before Bloodborne comes out:M

inb4 Skyrim. please, just not that shit

Athelas

Arcane
Maybe it's time for a different genre. Though in terms of 3rd person action games, you could always try the likes of Bayonetta and Devil May Cry. There's also Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
i have around 600hours in Dark Souls 1, 300 in Dark Souls 2, 150 in Demons Souls and 2 full playthroughs of Dragons Dogma... i need to play something before Bloodborne comes out:M

The Witcher.

Maybe it's time for a different genre. Though in terms of 3rd person action games, you could always try the likes of Bayonetta and Devil May Cry. There's also Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.

Welp i still have Metal Gear Rising from 4 euro bargain bin waiting for me.

The Witcher.
:lol::lol::lol:

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.

Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel?

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I never really had to do any Kill X of Y quests... Just closing rifts and setting up tents gave me enough Power to continue the story.

I forgot that DA2 had an active blocking/parry/whatever system, but warriors in DAI have active guard/tank abilities as well. Not exactly the same, but there's active damage mitigation for sure.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Another traditional open world RPG made recently? There's Risen 3 of course but apparently this one sits in the same shitter with DAI. PB went the way of dodo long before Bioware. Anyway all three Gothics plus Risen 1 are all fantastic open world games and still eminently playable.

As for party based RPGs tho I'm afraid after DAI crashes and burns commercially we're permanently stuck with the isometric view.

Suicidal

Arcane
I do play WoW, and WoW >>> DAI when it comes to quest design.

Every 3-4 quests in WoW, you get a longer story line quest, complete with an in-game cutscene, a boss battle, and a nice reward at the end.

DAI? Kill 10 goats -> here's a bit of influence and gold for ya. Kill 10 bandits -> here's a bit of influence and gold for ya. Retrieve my ring from a bandit -> here's a bit of influence and gold for ya. Oh, and a piss poor ring you won't ever use.

I feel that WoW does a lot of things better than DA:I.

From my limited understanding of DA:I from the gameplay videos, RK47's rage and previous experience with Dragon Age games (I played the 1st one) it seems to me that apart from quest design:

WoW has a better setting - there seems to be a lot more shit going on in the world of WoW (redundant phrase I know). As far as I've seen in DA you run across fantasy Europe, sometimes visit caves, castles and the local dream realm/hell. In WoW there's all that + a lot of other shit, like ancient alien ruins with stone computers, prisons of Lovecraft rip-offs, time travel, etc.
WoW has better companions cause you can actually talk with them about different things and when they tell you to suck their dick they usually mean it as an insult for doing something stupid, rather than a serious invitation for gay sex. And if you don't like them you can choose to not heal them during a crucial moment at a boss fight and then call them a faggot when they die and watch the froth at the mouth.
WoW has better combat (similar system, but more classes and abilities) and PvP provides opportunities to measure penis sizes.
WoW has better writing - both games are retarded juvenile high fantasy adventures, but WoW is somewhat self-aware at times, while Dragon Age is totally siris and comes off as the bigger joke as a result.

Athelas

Arcane
Why would DA:I failing have any bearing on any type of RPG in the long-term? With its afterthought of a tactical cam, it isn't even considered an isometric RPG and action-RPG's are very much established.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Why would DA:I failing have any bearing on any type of RPG in the long-term? With its afterthought of a tactical cam, it isn't even considered an isometric RPG and action-RPG's are very much established.

If DAI fails party based RPGs are permanently off the table for the AAA honchos. Just my humble guess ofc.

Athelas

Arcane

If DAI fails party based RPGs are permanently off the table for the AAA honchos. Just my humble guess ofc.
That's not saying much since Bioware has had the monopoly on those things for the last decade or so. And they seem to be moving towards a play style of 'do cool stuff with your main character while your AI-controlled companions do cool stuff by themselves' by their own volition, anyway.

kris

Arcane
anyone else noticed that? Not the lack of whorehouses, they are hardly a needed addition, but the complete lack of prostitution to add to the total lack of people having been raped in a wartorn setting. I am not talking about that as an option for the player to engage in, I am talking about how it seems like it don't exist in the setting at all. Its like the Star wars of fantasy settings when it comes to this.

as well as in all other ways? there's no grit at all in Thedas. it's a bright and bubbly heroes-fix-everything fantasy world that mistakenly attempts mature themes by a typically misguided go at fantasy racism. this is hardly an uncommon aesthetic. if you want to object to the series for being low-consequence, "not enough rape" isn't really an interesting place to start.

It is only that when it comes to sex and sexuality. Right, and you yourself, the protagonist that can in most ways just be a hero. But apart from that there is a lot of grim stuff and all the maps display a world on the bring of survival with pretty much only razed buildings and corpses. Its not bright and bubbly, it is a censored grim world that only show cherry picked horrors.

I just had the final battle, kind of, it bugged out and Cory was forever locked at 1 health.

Last edited:

dryan

Arcane
Can't really take a final boss named Cory seriously :troll:

Last edited:

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
Can't really take a final boss name Cory seriously

It could have been worse! Like Archdemon.

I have this aesthetic antiPavlov thing where when words for imaginary bullshit take up too much of a percentage of the total dialogue, to say nothing of a focus in a narrative, I start to get embarrassed and angry at the writers every time I hear them. "blood magic" and "demon" see this treatment constantly in Dragon Age games. it makes me cringe, then flip back and snarl.

at least Corypheus as a name fits into the whole "Thedas and the Maker are all about music" theme. apparently it's derived from aaa...Greek, I think? word for conductor or something. same root as chorus if I remember what I read aright.

why the fuck do they call archdemons archdemons, anyway? dharkhsphahwhn are in no other way related to demons. demons are a specific thing in Dragon Age. archdemons are (here comes another one of those "too many made up bullshit words we're expected to take seriously" sentences) Tevintir old god dragons corrupted with the Blight. who might just have been normal dragons in the first place, that's never been fucking addressed, in spite of this being the perfect game to address it in with the skylabes the perfect place to culminate in some setting material on the Tevintir old gods.

so why the fuck don't they just call them dragons? they look like dragons. and they're not demons.

Sykar

Arcane
Can't really take a final boss name Cory seriously

It could have been worse! Like Archdemon.

I have this aesthetic antiPavlov thing where when words for imaginary bullshit take up too much of a percentage of the total dialogue, to say nothing of a focus in a narrative, I start to get embarrassed and angry at the writers every time I hear them. "blood magic" and "demon" see this treatment constantly in Dragon Age games. it makes me cringe, then flip back and snarl.

at least Corypheus as a name fits into the whole "Thedas and the Maker are all about music" theme. apparently it's derived from aaa...Greek, I think? word for conductor or something. same root as chorus if I remember what I read aright.

why the fuck do they call archdemons archdemons, anyway? dharkhsphahwhn are in no other way related to demons. demons are a specific thing in Dragon Age. archdemons are (here comes another one of those "too many made up bullshit words we're expected to take seriously" sentences) Tevintir old god dragons corrupted with the Blight. who might just have been normal dragons in the first place, that's never been fucking addressed, in spite of this being the perfect game to address it in with the skylabes the perfect place to culminate in some setting material on the Tevintir old gods.

so why the fuck don't they just call them dragons? they look like dragons. and they're not demons.

What's worse is that it's a final enemy devoid of everything that makes an antagonist potentially interesting. He/She/It is a completely empty shell of an antagonist, even by demon/dragon/whatever standards.

Last edited:

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
Presumably they are formless (being gods and stuffies) and take the form of dragons because dragons are the most badass creature in Thedas' fauna.

That's not at all clear, though. Scholars usually refer to the Old Gods as having been "just" dragons. I don't think that's actually true, what with Flemeth wanting to eat them, but...

Hm. I wonder if the Tevintir had the Old Gods before the elves imploded? Maybe their Old Gods were elven gods taking refuge in dragon shape? That'd make sense. But it wouldn't actually be interesting, because just a -fact- like that isn't interesting on it's own, it's what you -do- with it, and it wouldn't actually change a goddamn thing.

Actually, that's probably it, since Flemeth can turn into a dragon. Huh. Well, you heard it here first, unless everybody's been saying it.

What's worse is that it's a final enemy devoid of everything that makes an antagonist potentially interesting. He/She/It is a completely empty shell of an antagonist, even by demon/dragon/whatever standards.

As with the Reapers...and with Corypheus.

They can DO strong antagonists. Loghain is good! He's very good, by the standards of non-supernatural video game antagonists! Why do they feel the need to insert boring-ass supervillains? Who LOSE, so they clearly weren't a real threat anyway. gaaaah

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom