Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Eye of the Beholder Thread

Mikado

Literate
I got her. It was easier than I expected. Releasing Insal only after completing the Catacombs with Calandra and Shorn helped. Kirath made way for Insal, who then promptly made way for Amber. I didn't recruit San-Raal because for RP purposes I really should be going with Amber, who actually has very decent stats (and has the same spells San-Raal has in his spellbook). I resurrected him and sent him on his way.

I also found the last NPC - and swapped Shorn out for Tanglor. I miss Shorn though, especially since he spent such a long time sharing a cleric symbol with Ileria, which was hilarious, until some Darkmoon cleric finally dropped a symbol. Tanglor looks funny for a half-elf, and screams dwarf - but I thought his Good alignment would be a better fit for the team than Shorn's Neutral one. His fighter/cleric class was also going to be more useful since I already had a full-time cleric in Ileria, and quite often I've had to move Calandra up front when either my fighter or Anya got paralysed, so now I have a middle line (of Tanglor and Calandra) which is quite resilient and can move to the front in an emergency (and Tanglor can use darts/bows unlike Shorn). Amber and Ileria bring up the rear, and I think I'm good to complete the game with this team (if I can get past these beholders). The tragedy would be deciding who to leave behind when I inevitably have to move to Myth Drannor. If only there was a way to bring all six over without needing to drop anyone.

It's probably not the best way to play the EoB series, but I've always had a soft spot for NPC companions ever since my journeys with Iolo, Shamino, Katrina etc in Ultima IV, and odd as it may sound, it's the NPCs in EoB which made me really want to play the game again.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I want to replay this. I have no idea how I managed to play with my left hand on the numpad and my right hand on the mouse. Any of you guys tried remapping the keys in DosBox? Any pitfalls there?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Mikado I'm only mentioning these points to spare you some headaches later on, and not trying to influence your playthrough. I have no idea which of this you know already, but I'll say it anyway.

# TAKE THE GREEN CRYSTAL HAMMER WITH YOU, it's a plot-essential item.

# San-Raal has some very high-level spells that can come in very useful later on. Fortunately they can also be found via scrolls, so Amber can eventually learn and use them.

# If Amber dies you're best off re-loading your save.

# You can only transfer four characters over to EotB3.

# If you're still lugging around a Potion of Giant Strength from EotB1, I strongly advise holding on to it until EotB3.

# While Tanglor will suffice for Clerical duties in EotB3, Amber will lose out on some of the higher-level Mage spells. Consider replacing her with a better Mage once you start the third game.

Mikado

Literate
Mikado I'm only mentioning these points to spare you some headaches later on, and not trying to influence your playthrough. I have no idea which of this you know already, but I'll say it anyway.

# TAKE THE GREEN CRYSTAL HAMMER WITH YOU, it's a plot-essential item.

# San-Raal has some very high-level spells that can come in very useful later on. Fortunately they can also be found via scrolls, so Amber can eventually learn and use them.

# If Amber dies you're best off re-loading your save.

# You can only transfer four characters over to EotB3.

# If you're still lugging around a Potion of Giant Strength from EotB1, I strongly advise holding on to it until EotB3.

# While Tanglor will suffice for Clerical duties in EotB3, Amber will lose out on some of the higher-level Mage spells. Consider replacing her with a better Mage once you start the third game.

Thanks for the tips. I had to backtrack to retrieve the Green Crystal Hammer in the Silver Tower after being stuck. It looks gorgeous, but at this stage +2 just doesn't cut it, sadly. Still carrying it around until I run out of space again. San-Raal is no longer an option because I resurrected him first to release him, then resurrected Amber. It's one of my peeves with EoB2 compared with EoB1. In EoB1, you resurrected someone, listened to them talk, before deciding whether to let them join. In EoB2, you have to bring someone into the party when you resurrect them, and I didn't want to leave poor San as a pile of bones. EoB2's system also means that the resurrected NPCs never get to talk and give you a feel for their personalities - would have been so fun to hear San-Raal give an evil laugh as to the vengeance he will mete out, or Amber touching base with you as Khelben's scout. In EoB1 the way the NPC spoke kind of endeared them to me, or made me dislike them, and it's a shame that EoB2 doesn't even give them a few lines of text. At least with Amber you have her note.

I find Amber mainly uses support spells at the moment, such as Haste and Improved Identify, with Burning Hands as the main offensive spell. So many enemies are magic-resistant it's almost not worth casting a fireball. Perhaps when I reach EoB3, I'll recruit Bug or Father Jon to be the main mage. I reached both in my recent playthrough, but didn't like Bug's character. A shame, as he's probably the most powerful mage in EoB3, but I haven't really needed much magic so far, so I'm not missing San-Raal. With regard to the potion, I have a few which I never use, but I recall finding some Gauntlet of Giant Strength or something fairly early on in EoB3 which helped me open all those doors, so I may not actually need them. They'll probably stay in my inventory anyway.

Not sure how far I am in the game, but it looks like Amber will definitely go to Myth Drannor with me. Then it's a toss between Anya and Calandra (leaning towards Anya as Calandra should most likely be returning to her sister - and Anya's portrait has more personality), and Tanglor and Ileria. 9 Wisdom is a real pity (although it's just an extra spell or two) but I'm quite attached to Ileria. Tanglor is versatile, but a Half-Elf who looks like a Dwarf ruins the immersion a bit. Having said that, Ileria being a Half-Elf Male ruins it even more!!! :D

Krivol

Magister
I want to replay this. I have no idea how I managed to play with my left hand on the numpad and my right hand on the mouse. Any of you guys tried remapping the keys in DosBox? Any pitfalls there?

I finished 1&2 with keys remapperd on dosbox. WSAD. AFAIK I faced no problems, but it was 4 years ago...

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
I replayed recently the first game. Remapping the keyboard was mandatory for me, although I have already played those games in the past, man how many years. However I used AutoHotkey scripts for the remapping.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I want to replay this. I have no idea how I managed to play with my left hand on the numpad and my right hand on the mouse.
I used to just push the keyboard to the left when I played these games :M

Reading Mikado posting about the series is a joy :love:

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I want to replay this. I have no idea how I managed to play with my left hand on the numpad and my right hand on the mouse.
I used to just push the keyboard to the left when I played these games :M
Ouch. Of course. I will use an external keyboard for my laptop perhaps ;-)
Reading Mikado posting about the series is a joy :love:
Yes! Post more plz!

Mikado

Literate
We finally did it. Anya and I dual-wielding in front, Calandra and Tanglor throwing Darts +5 from the second row, and Ileria and Amber bringing up the rear with Burning Hands and buffs. Only with the Frost Giants did we have to change tactic and switch to Lightning Bolts (and find a use for those Wands of Lightning). Getting swarmed by Basilisks, taking a few fireball traps on the chest, trapping Medusae with Hold Person spells to hold down some pressure plates, dancing with blinking pit traps, solving some rather tricky lever puzzles, etc. All in a day's work for our heroes. The highlight of the day was Anya deciding that the more direct approach would work against a glass wall when all our efforts to find a way to make it disappear failed.... and it did work. Dran himself also provided some entertainment by trying to convince us to get killed voluntarily. There were some tricky situations, one involving a piece of sticky paper, while there was one room with Mind Flayers which we just couldn't overcome (but thankfully could skip). The final fight was tricky as Dran moved really fast, and despite our efforts it did take several attempts before we succeeded, and not without loss. Nevertheless, all too soon, it was all over, and I have a feeling that I will be revisiting Darkmoon again in the not too distant future!

After Khelben had arranged for the resurrection of half our party, the time for goodbyes arrived, and it was Tanglor who merrily went on his way, thankful that he actually never did succeed in his quest to join the priests of Darkmoon. While we noted that he would probably never have made it anyway as there were no dwarves among the Darkmoon clergy we encountered, Tanglor insisted that he, just like Ileria, was a "Half-Elf Male". Maybe it's a cleric delusion thing they share. As Calandra reunited with Ira and parted ways with us, the remaining four members of our party retired to an inn for a well-deserved rest before yet another summons arrived.

So it was today that Anya, Ileria and Amber followed me to Myth Drannor, carrying with us all the loot and spoils of Waterdeep and Darkmoon. The team was weaker than it would be as compared to starting a new party, although not by much. If I created a new fighter he'd have around 600k exp, while I was at around 470k. The lower levels all-round would probably be offset by the nifty gear we have (including those two +5 weapons from EoB1), and would probably be more balanced as we meet the new NPCs of this area. Having stared at those portraits for a few days through two games, though, it is immediately apparent that the portraits look very very different in EoB3, the most obvious being that the portraits are stretched longer vertically making everyone more gaunt. My fighter was the slightly chubby male fighter in chainmail, so it's not too bad. Anya actually got a palette makeover and looks even cooler than she did in EoB 1 and 2. Amber was already fairly slim in EoB2, and now stretched vertically she looks a bit ill, but poor Ileria became a complete mess. Already not the tidiest of portraits, the new palette made her look even more messy than she already did, and thankfully with ASE3 I managed to change her portrait to one of the more recent EoB3 starting portraits, keeping her as a blonde female and giving her a red hood. She does look infinitely better, although I had to resist the temptation to modify her wisdom, or at least swap her wisdom and constitution around. Our inventory is about 80% full - we lost a few fire spheres, magic dust, and sadly, as when we transfered from EoB1 to EoB2, all our cool, nifty magic items became generic magic items, losing all their cool names (and in this case, their unique icons as well). The beautiful Talon is now a generic +4 Longsword, and that cool dark +3 Dark Elf Shield is just plain metal +3. While it is the stats that matter it's sad that everything looks so different now. Those beautiful +5 darts have now changed to dull metal and red from their old dark elf colours (which they kept from EoB1 despite losing the Adamantite name), although the +1 and +2 slingstones had already changed to normal rock icons in EoB2, so it's not really consistent. Some item icons survived the change to EoB2, but none survived the change to EoB3. Anyway, looking really forward to EoB3 again, with fresher memories of what to expect, and we stand at the door of the Warriors Tomb.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Mikado there is a very simple reason why items and portraits look different in EotB3 - Westwood created all the artwork for the first two games, but were not involved in the development of the third game, so all of their assets had to be changed to avoid copyright strikes. That includes unique item names as well. It sucks, but there you go.

A salty Russian was posting about some of the changed portraits on various forums last Christmas, and is working on a way to get the old portraits to work in EotB3. Some of his words reminded me of one tip that I want to give you: As EotB3 is intended to be the final and most challenging game in the series, I advise that you do not use the 'All Attack'-feature. Doing all that clicking is an intended part of the game's design, and using that feature to skip them makes the game tedious and unchallenging to play.

Mikado

Literate
Mikado there is a very simple reason why items and portraits look different in EotB3 - Westwood created all the artwork for the first two games, but were not involved in the development of the third game, so all of their assets had to be changed to avoid copyright strikes. That includes unique item names as well. It sucks, but there you go.

A salty Russian was posting about some of the changed portraits on various forums last Christmas, and is working on a way to get the old portraits to work in EotB3. Some of his words reminded me of one tip that I want to give you: As EotB3 is intended to be the final and most challenging game in the series, I advise that you do not use the 'All Attack'-feature. Doing all that clicking is an intended part of the game's design, and using that feature to skip them makes the game tedious and unchallenging to play.

I think I saw that Russian post. He had a point, though, the new portraits were much more messy compared to the old ones, although the few new ones they included were nice. Mine was also one of the lucky ones which ended up looking still decent, and Anya's looked really good. I can imagine if I was leading a party of 4 custom heroes from EoB1, I could have been in for a very bad surprise. Most of the NPC portraits don't look that bad (using ASE3 I could actually view them all), and Ileria's looked messy because the original was pretty messy as well. As for item transfer, the Unique Item names didn't just change from EoB2 to EoB3, though, but also from EoB1 to EoB2. Severius, for example, became Long Sword +5. I think it was just to save database space, in the old 1.44mb floppy days probably every byte counted (although that Long Sword +5 must have been a unique entry anyway since there weren't any others in the game). It's weird, actually, that the Long Sword +5 and Halberd +5 both came from EoB1 (as well as the 10 Dart +5s), and nothing in EoB2 is as strong as that (Talon at +4 is probably the strongest) - granted that the Halberd and Darts were both from obscure special quests, though. I wonder if anything in EoB3 goes as high as +5, or I shouldn't bother picking any weapons up! :)

So far I've been using All Attack, and to be honest it feels not so much tedious but boring. You click once, and just wait. It would have been a great help against Dran for sure, as the speed which you had to act usually only allowed you to hit with two attacks, move, hit with another two and so on. An All Attack would have let you hit harder each time, and would have killed Dran easier, but as it was still doable without the button it probably wasn't needed.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Interesting that your imported party had lower levels than a brand new one would have, I never tested this in EOB but in pretty much all other SSI games it's the reverse (definitely for Gold Box and Dark Sun). I think that might be because it's so easy to hit the level cap in those other games, whereas I don't think that ever happened to me in any of the EOB games. As you pointed though the ability to import all your goodies more than makes up for it - I'm pretty sure most of the best weapons in the entire trilogy are in EOB1, and having all the +5 weapons is more than enough compensation for losing a level here and there compared to a fresh party.

I always thought the change in names/icons between EOB2 and EOB3 was due more to having things import into a different engine (with a different database) but I forgot some of them change even from 1 to 2.

It never even occurred to me to make an all-NPC party, in fact I usually kept my own people across the trilogy and never replaced them when importing. You're making me want to try out the NPCs more now :)

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
There's a +5 greatsword (Dhauzimmer) at the end of the game, it's easily the most powerful weapon in the entire trilogy... but you only get to use it for a single floor or so before the game (and the adventure) ends.

I can't recall there being any other +5 weapons in EotB3, but there are plenty of +4 weps around.

Sleeper Grey

Novice
Hello fellow EotB lovers!
It's a pleasure to see even EotB-3 is getting some attention here. Like this Dhauzimmer sword :)
Once I made EoB-1 1.9 version with the Stone Gem. Now (it was slow!) I arranged for another big problem corrected.

The portraits in EoB-3 game after the party transfer from EoB-2!
Many of them looked revolting or nearly unrecognizable.

EoB characters speak very little so the character "is" in the portrait. Making them ugly spoils the entire game.

Long story short, example, the Green Priestess now looks, in EoB-3, just like in EoB-1/2. And somewhat better :)

38kLMCV.png

(As the colors in EoB-3 are not the same as in EoB-1 and the style is different. I took it into account.)

I have posted a discussion here with nearly all chages shown:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=100055&page=2

The bottom of the page contains portrait change samples. Page 1 here shows as to how this EoB-3 Portrait Restoration started :)

21 portraits were corrected already.

Please feel free to see the changes. Mainly I returned the old EoB-1/2 looks to the characters.

The download for the updated "EYE" resource is here:

https://www.old-games.ru/forum/thre...pravlenie-portretov.91989/page-3#post-1646334

Hope it will remove one of the problems in this great Trilogy.

Last edited:

Sleeper Grey

Novice
He had a point, though, the new portraits were much more messy compared to the old ones... I can imagine if I was leading a party of 4 custom heroes from EoB1, I could have been in for a very bad surprise.

Indeed! I tried to deal exactly with this problem. Please feel free to see the results in my message/links above.

Well I always had this Portrait Transfer problem as my party had this "green priestess" character.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Freaked me out seeing that AoW avatar, I used to use that all the time because it looked like me :)

Sleeper Grey

Novice
Freaked me out seeing that AoW avatar, I used to use that all the time because it looked like me :)

Ah, it is not that I look totally like that either, but there is something in common. I just did not see the way to upload my own avatar while registering. So this one should suffice for now :)

To make this message more informative, for someone using 32-bit Aesop engine version of EoB-III sold by GOG it is possible to use these new restored portraits.

I made it for the classic DOS 16-bit boxed version. But deasop.exe has a magic "convert old bitmaps" command that makes it all compatible with modern 32-bit version.

"I got some success after inserting all your files then running my new eye.res through /convert_old_bitmaps."

The details are here, from someone enthusiastic about the matter:

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=63994&sid=24de266e6252b0430e397efe7691066f&start=30

So even for GOG "advanced" version users this Portrait Restoration pack is available.

No more of these terrible reckless changes made by EoB-III designers. For the first time in 27 years :)

Sleeper Grey

Novice

A salty Russian was posting about some of the changed portraits on various forums last Christmas, and is working on a way to get the old portraits to work in EotB3.

Well it seems it's done :) 21 portraits (at least).
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=100055

And as I mentionded it there is a way to use this portrait patch with GOG 32-bit version, either.

I suspect there is much more to it (EoB-3 artwork change) beside these copyright issues between Westwood and SSI.
Like simple, common negligence.
As there are about one half(!) of all EoB-1/2 portraits that weren't changed at all in EoB-3.
(Or changed only those colors that needed a "mandatory" change within the new color palette of EoB-3.)

It seems SSI designes planned a big art re-write of portraits in newer style - but they really changed only ~a few~ portraits.
And they left a lot of signs of negligence in doing it.

As I really appreciate your comments on my old work I will reveal one detail concerning EotB 1.9 "Stone Gem" version. :)

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/the-eye-of-the-beholder-thread.34454/page-14

I did find a bug that was fixed: Magical darts in EOB1 never glowed when Detect Magic was cast, now they do. The thing is, this may have introduced a new bug. A set of Bracers that is normally non-magical, now glows when Detect Magic is cast.

It was my evil intent, not a bug. :) I wanted to create a "perfect trash" item.
Remember where one finds these bracers? In a locked (from the inside) room with a hole in the ceiling...

The item could get there through the hole. Obviously it was not done for safe keeping. It was thrown there, perhaps, discarded.
And why? Yes, because of its useless and deceptive nature. :)
There are spells that give trash items a false magic aura. To fool poor people...

https://www.dnd-spells.com/spell/nystuls-magic-aura

Obviously a variety of this spell was cast upon it to fool someone...
When proved useless the item was thrown into the hole by some user. :)

To be discovered by eager adventurers. But it is perfectly useless ~and~ deceptive.

I have to admit even another "sin".
There are 2 curing(!) staves usable by mages in the Demo version (on the Kenku level) and I left it in EoB 1.9 unofficial version. These staves do -not- radiate magic.
I also left it like that.
Thinking of some shamanic Kenku trick. As they ~are~ tricksters according to Monstrous Manual.

Defining these staves is easy though as they take only -one- hand to handle :) Contrary to those countless staves dropped by Kenku.

I have written a little FAQ about these things. In case you might be interested.

https://af.gog.com/forum/forgotten_...atch_19_for_eye_of_the_beholder?as=1649904300

Last edited by a moderator:

nico7550

Novice
Hi, I'm Nico, 43 year old French guy, I start playing RPG with M&M3 on a 386DX16 and keep playing FP-RPG since.
Maybe you are like me and find the modern remake of turn based FP-RPG too clean and polish, missing the 16bit style than suit us best...
Anyway, I'm trying to work on some spare time on a one character unity/C# version of EOB mostly for mobile, I want a free (maybe beerware at worst)/noads/no network game, it's just a proof of concept and only the maze display is working:
You may notice on the down left side that I would like to have more equipment slots...
And the display is not a 3D maze, it's 2.5D and use the original bitmap but I add 2 levels of deep for the deep of field.

As you see the video is one year old, since I have work on the first part, the character part, example, the naming/gender/portrait screen:

And mostly on thinking how and what to store in the XML files I want to use... example, a WIP cleric NPC/Monster:

And more mostly on my road map.

Will be happy to discuss with you :)

Have a nive day

nico7550

Novice
First, to Elwro, the link is working, but maybe your provider filter it, here is a mirror: https://gofile.io/d/TOmWI3

Second, here are some technical background about the maze and how I made it works:

1. In unity, I set my scene and the display area.

2. I create a gameobject with 3 wall sprite in front of the camera and 2 side walls, that cover exactly the viewing area, it's what I call level 1.
I note the precise coordonate and size of the 5 walls on a notepad

3. Then I create a prefab with each one.

4. I delete the 5 gameobjects create at step 2

5. I create a lot of prefabs based on the five prefabs create at step 3, each with a different wall, some with decoration, lever, etc...
https://ibb.co/tX9fnJF
https://ibb.co/F3hGYy9

6. I repeat the same operation (step 2 to 5) for the level 2, 3, 4 and 5, including the side walls according to the view area and the possible visible wall (in yellow the visible area, in bold, the visible wall, X is the player position):
https://ibb.co/y0dSDXv

7. In unity I create a gameobject list for each visible level and I populate the list using the prefab I made.
Keep in mind that each element must be populate with the same reference wall: if the level 1 element 0 is the standart wall, the element 0 of the level 5 must also be the standart wall and it's the same for the side wall. It allow to see the same type of wall when you move.
https://ibb.co/4131GYN

8. Before the coding part, the display idea is that the player didn't really move as it's a first person 2D display, I only change XY values. I destroy all visible prefab on screen and display the visible ones according to the maze define and new XY values. For the view and the XY modifiers I use this grid (it was not the final version, I update the value while coding):
https://ibb.co/FnC5xR9

9. In the code - Part 1 - Variables:
a. I create 1 gameobject for each possible wall position:
https://ibb.co/FWG5DBC
b. I create 1 vector for each wall position and add the values save at step 2
https://ibb.co/Bc2VjKX
c. I define 2 dimensions string DungeonArray that will store the XY values of each bloc of the maze (here I set a maximum maze of 20 by 20)
I define the XY player variable
I define the direction variable
I define the gameobject that will contain the direction picture and that I will hidde or display depending of the Direction value
I define the gameobject that will contain the direction arrow and the block that will cover them if the player cannot move (I never like the wall bump that most game allow)
https://ibb.co/Kjjst71
d. I define the player position and direction, for now I stock them in playerprefs but one of the goal is to read them from a XML save file.
https://ibb.co/z6vPHKQ

10. In the code - Part 2 - Maze loading:
a. I define a grid to visualize my maze:
https://ibb.co/tpq4hFM
B. I convert my grid into a TXT file it read by column the grid of the previous step, not in line:
https://ibb.co/Q6gxLzN
C. Each cell is define with 3 values :
the X position, the Y position and the visible wall for each cell
https://ibb.co/vdQSQBY
D. Here is the simple parser I use to parse my TXT file and store the data
https://ibb.co/CzKqhNN
E. I destroy all the prefab that may be loaded on the scene
F. I will start displaying wall beginning from the most distant one, that way the less distant wall will hide them and I don't have to care if they are visible or not

11. In the code - Part 3 - Maze display:
a. I create variable that will store the XY value of each potential wall
https://ibb.co/PhSPs7S
b. Depending of the direction the player is looking at, I load the previous variable with the XY value that the player may see
https://ibb.co/GtQXD07
c. Now if the corrected XY values are not negative (if ((L51X >= 0) && (L51Y >= 0))), it mean we are into the maze, then we load in a new variable, the value of the DungeonArray (step 9c) located at the correct XY value (string DUNGEONDATA_L51 = DungeonArray[L51X, L51Y]).
If the variable is not empty, depending of the direction (that change wall visibility checking order), and depending of the cell value, I display or not the correct wall at the correct position
https://ibb.co/kQZ3Qkj

Last point, let's fully explain the above image:

if ((L51X >= 0) && (L51Y >= 0))
==> We test if the corrected XY value are not negative, it mean the viewed wall is inside the maze grid
{
string DUNGEONDATA_L51 = DungeonArray[L51X, L51Y];
==> We strore the DungeonArray at the correctedXY value in a new varaible

if (DUNGEONDATA_L51 != null)
==> we test if the new variable define just above is not null
{
string[] WALLARRAY = DUNGEONDATA_L51.Split('-');
==> We store in the WALLARRAY variable, all the 4 value given in the DUNGEONDATA_L51 variable
if (SCENEIDarray[2] == "0")
==> SCENEIDarray[2] contain the direction, to if direction is 2 (east)
{
if (WALLARRAY[0] != "00")
==> if the first value of WALLARRAY is different of 00, it mean there is a wall but according to the direction, it will not be visible so we don't display it
{
///No wall display here
}

if (WALLARRAY[1] != "00")
==> if the second value of WALLARRAY is different of 00, it mean there is a wall but according to the direction, it will not be visible so we don't display it
{
///No wall display here
}

if (WALLARRAY[2] != "00")
==> if the third value of WALLARRAY is different of 00, it mean there is a wall but according to the direction, it will not be visible so we don't display it
{
///No wall display here
}

if (WALLARRAY[3] != "00")
==> if the fourth value of WALLARRAY is different of 00, it mean there is a wall according to the direction, it will be visible so we display it
{
GameObject Wall_L5_SPAWN = (GameObject)(Instantiate(W5_L05[Convert.ToInt16(WALLARRAY[3]) - 1], Wall_L5_001_2_POS, Quaternion.identity));
==>I instantiate a prefab at the position stored in Wall_L5_001_2_POS variable. If the value of WALLARRAY[3] is 06, Convert.ToInt16(WALLARRAY[3]) - 1 will give 5 and so the prefab is the fith element of the W5_L05 list.
Wall_L5_SPAWN.transform.SetParent(GameObject.FindGameObjectWithTag("Canvas_L5_Walls").transform, false);
==>must be set to disable to allow position, scale and rotation depending to his parent.
Wall_L5_SPAWN.transform.localPosition = Wall_L5_001_2_POS;
==>I force the position of the prefab
}
}

It take me a month to code that (around 4500 lines) but a half year to think how to do it... and I missing a lot of thing in the process, for example, the bobbing camera movement and the moving effect when you move or turn...

As you may read in my youtube comment, I'm looking for a unity teacher...

Black Plague

Arbiter
4rth floor: There's a circular passageway where you 'push' a wall in front of you. If you go through it the right way, pick up the key in the passage and then 'lock it in place' by pulling a nearby chain, the party gains experience.
The courteous adventurer leaves things as they were, but also keeps the dungeon clean.

Pick up the key, go around the loop again and exit immediately when you can. That way the walls will be in their initial position.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Is there a way to move a character to a back row in eotb1 or do I have to create another party because I didn't now I was determining my part formation at the party creation screen? I tried looking online and went through the manual already.

Eisen

Learned
Is there a way to move a character to a back row in eotb1 or do I have to create another party because I didn't now I was determining my part formation at the party creation screen? I tried looking online and went through the manual already.
Click in character's name

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom