Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The New DOOM Thread (2016)

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
wood.jpg

ArchAngel

Arcane
real cover:

tumblr_o201diho9V1s95hkno1_500.jpg

don't worry guys, they just made the cover super generic to appear to dudebros, it will be really good I swear.

Just like how Bioshock Infinite had a broshooter cover but was actually a game that made you think ;)
You should edit that picture and turn that RP into RIP..

Caim

Arcane
real cover:

tumblr_o201diho9V1s95hkno1_500.jpg

don't worry guys, they just made the cover super generic to appear to dudebros, it will be really good I swear.

Just like how Bioshock Infinite had a broshooter cover but was actually a game that made you think ;)
You should edit that picture and turn that RP into RIP..
And while you're at it, replace the face you can see behind that vizor with Cleve.

insukk

Augur
Patron
Codex 2012
Is there a compass that shows where the secrets are? Or are they hidden secrets and you need to find them without any help? I mean, there will be compass, right?

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Is there a compass that shows where the secrets are? Or are they hidden secrets and you need to find them without any help? I mean, there will be compass, right?
Like in Tomb Raider from 2013?
Or maybe the game will be linear corridor shooter, where rooms on left and rights are considered "Secrets". Who knows...

Press X to hump wall

Such archaic primitive gameplay concept.
Why hump wall when you can hump guts.

Riskbreaker

Press X to hump wall
Did the wall consent? If not, you're a rapist. If it did, you forced it to do so and you're still a rapist.
Also, you should exercise additional care: failure to give proper attention to particular wall might be interpreted as wall-shaming, which is, in fact, a form of rape.

Last edited by a moderator:

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014

I'm not sure that this was posted here before. If it was, I ignored it.

Some of the themes they mention sound kind of cool, but the only thing in the video that actually matches them is one piece of concept art that shows a large demon skeleton. I'd like to play a game wherein I move through corpses of monsters the size of buildings, but it will probably never actually get that bizarre in this.

The original Doom games were like the Native Americans in that they used every part of the level. Everything was utilized and connected so that what you were playing through felt cohesive. If there was an enemy in the distance or in a window, you could probably find a way right up to that enemy, and then you'd be rewarded with some sort of secret goodies that it was guarding. In regard to movement and exploration, the skybox was the limit.

By contrast, it seems like the best case scenario in this is that we'll get some cool giant corpses and bizarre landscapes, but they'll just be part of the background. There will be a corridor, or possibly two, that connects a couple of NeueWolf-style kill rooms, like the one in the Hell E3 presentation, where you just sit around and kill everything that spawns, and then go through the door that magically unlocks afterward. You won't get to explore shit about it.

Contrast this with E4M2 (Perfect Hatred), which is probably just a bit bigger than that same E3 showcase arena, really, but it works in so much more. It's multi-level, despite the engine technically not allowing multiple levels. It requires finding two keys. It has Cacodemons that roam around and potentially block your way through smaller doorways. It sends you through the same spawn area like four times, and each time is different. It trolls you with a Cyberdemon that you can telefrag. It doesn't get much better than that!

But then these fuckers aren't even trying...

adrix89

Cipher
Why are there so many of my country here?
You guys aren't really fair.

Most of what it has been previewed is early level stuff and "atmospheric" stuff just like in Doom 3.
I have seen a good level demoed somewhere with multiple enemy types and some good level terrain and it looked pretty interesting gameplay wise.

adrix89

Cipher
Why are there so many of my country here?
Because we've seen this happen before and we remember where that went.
So don't preorder and wait and see.

I think its a step in the right direction from the boring popamole cover based shooter. Especially for the dumb masses.
This game actually has some sort of health! How long has it been since we last seen that?

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014

Most of what it has been previewed is early level stuff and "atmospheric" stuff just like in Doom 3.
I have seen a good level demoed somewhere with multiple enemy types and some good level terrain and it looked pretty interesting gameplay wise.
If you've seen it, then I probably have too. I've seen all publicly released footage and participated in the alpha for the abortion of a multiplayer mode. Were you privy to one of those NDA presentations at a convention?

The most impressive thing I saw was that kill room in Hell that they showed at E3 (which I just criticized), and I mean it looks better than a fair few recent FPS games, but at the same time is easily behind Serious Sam or Painkiller as an arena swarm shooter. It's definitely not on the original Doom's level in terms of its complexity in design either.

Riskbreaker

Absolutely not. "Those videos are from the beginning of the game", "that is just the preview content yo" and similar arguments should have died out long ago, since not once have they proven to be correct in the past, and they have about as same worth as "yo, you can't tell how it is until you play it for yourself".
I am yet to see a game that turned out to be notably different and superior to what was shown in its preview materials.

Also, in this particular case, absolutely everything they have shown has been off-putting to a point where BethDoom would have to transform into a completely different FPS in order for existing judgement to be invalid.

m_s0

Arcane
Cac2ovUXIAAJp18.jpg

Cac2mAaXEAAzY0e.jpg
Cac2mrBW4AAWKYz.jpg
Cac2nfsW4AQoOSg.jpg
I miss the times where marketing commities weren't in charge of designing covers. And everything else, for that matter.

You wouldn't mistake this for Duke Nukem:

LSA6vKC.jpg

Or Duke Nukem for DOOM:

V8Zv7qZ.jpg

Hell, that piece of art is a total Army of Darkness poster rip-off, and you still can't mistake it for the thing it rips off.

Pathetic.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
This is now thread of alternative covers, where even mediocre one is better than original.

Now here I found inspiration for the cover. Guess what - it's X360 game

So generic you remove the game and end confused cause it's same shit.

Dumpspoiler ho
KVGv8Ls.jpg
jk9mhI5.jpg
evil_doom__army_of_demons_by_joazzz2-d60f1cf.png
GDdYhk7.jpg

5GypNtX.jpg

WN6LdXG.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom