Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Can you please attempt to explain what Sawyer thinks is fun? Genuinely curious.
Simple, clear mechanics that have layers of complexity added over time and a roller coaster of difficulty with brief moments of frustration and irritation.
I couldn't guess that by just playing in Pillars of Eternity.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Can you please attempt to explain what Sawyer thinks is fun?

getting 0 exp from monsters
'per encounter' skills which make every fight the same and banal
attributes points with +0.03% increases like in Diablo EXCEPT level cap is 10. Here you can clearly see his mind is lost
"Endurance" to further complicate everything
grazing because damage avoidance and damage reduction arent enough
30 different conditions with overly elaborate effects
pointless barebone minigames
petty things like talking parrots and drunken ogres
etc.

In truth he thinks fun = accessibility because he is insane

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

As he himself has said, the PoEs are the most compromised games he ever made because he had to cater to grognards. His idea of how to appeal to them was bizarre, but like I said, spectrum-thinking.

La vie sexuelle

Learned

As he himself has said, the PoEs are the most compromised games he ever made because he had to cater to grognards. His idea of how to appeal to them was bizarre, but like I said, spectrum-thinking.

I know what you are thinking - I probably never stop laughing on the idea, that sacred balance need from barbarian and wizard same number of strength points.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
As he himself has said, the PoEs are the most compromised games he ever made because he had to cater to grognards.

Grogs lol? Thats fake news. There is nothing groggy about PoE

There is however A TON of accessible bullshit in PoE

PoE is shit because he tried to please everybody, particularly new players... which is why he made everything super accessible and symmetrical

This has nothing to do with grogs lol. Get off Sawyers dick a little and wash your dirty mouth

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

PoE is shit because he tried to please everybody, particularly new players... which is why he made everything super accessible and symmetrical

This has nothing to do with grogs lol. Get off Sawyers dick a little and wash your dirty mouth
PoE would have had even more radical changes if he wasn't appealing to nostalgia. No classes and no attributes are a couple of things that would have happened if he had the courage to just do what he wanted instead of trying to make compromises that didn't really thrill anyone.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Would have, could have. No one gives a shit Roguey. Pillars is a shit designed game and Soyer is gonna have 100000 excuses. According to him and his dick suckers here, nothing is ever his fault.

Except the stuff he had no control over lol. We all heard his bum talks.

I think you all need to look truth in the eye and come face to face with the obvious reality. Soyer is a fucking terrible system lead. He crumbled under pressure and got lost.

Look at the stuff he is saying now. According to him Wizardry is not an RPG "anymore"? Wtf? What does "anymore" mean? His takes are total nonsense because he was was driven insane by politics and twitter. He also probably took too many covid shots for his own good.

La vie sexuelle

Learned

PoE would have had even more radical changes if he wasn't appealing to nostalgia. No classes and no attributes are a couple of things that would have happened if he had the courage to just do what he wanted instead of trying to make compromises that didn't really thrill anyone.

Sounds nice, but this, maybe interesting at basics system, would be destroyed by symmetric obsessions. I don't believe he would give us freedom with approach to battles and crazy magic mélange.

Last edited:

Silverfish

Arbiter
Well dude just perfectly autodiagnosed himself
Sawyer thinks a lot about gameplay, it's just that his ideas of what makes for fun gameplay aren't yours. Spectrum things.

Dexterity attribute scaling adds 0.01% damage and 0.02% accuracy to crossbows during daylight hours, unless you're wearing a helmet and of course, not during Passover.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
As I mentioned before in my own comment about this game several pages back. What you start to notice the most after a while is how incredibly 'bland' this game is.
Despite its looks and the lore it has no character of its own.

The game plays like an average shooter with some quests that have some skills checks and there are some places you can take boring jobs from.

Varnaan

Augur
Simple, clear mechanics that have layers of complexity added over time and a roller coaster of difficulty with brief moments of frustration and irritation.
This doesn't fit the one game he had total control over, PoE.
PoE was a chore to play because the overthinking of attributes led to frustration, both because of unintuitive stat-ability cohesion, and because the stats were balanced in such a way that a character could only get good at one thing and a half at most.
Satanic core design if you ask me.
And it wasn't even balanced, it was a binary of if you played the Sawyer way you could do anything, if you played like it's a D&D based game you'd get one shot by some totally optional encounters.
The game is a pot of Vaseline but if you don't subscribe to the Sawyer newsletter they also add some glass to your experience at the very bottom.

21Baron

Literate
Sawyer thinks a lot about gameplay, it's just that his ideas of what makes for fun gameplay aren't yours. Spectrum things.

Dexterity attribute scaling adds 0.01% damage and 0.02% accuracy to crossbows during daylight hours, unless you're wearing a helmet and of course, not during Passover.
Was the helmet made during a leap year, though? Tough luck, pal.

9ted6

Educated
Can you please attempt to explain what Sawyer thinks is fun?
He thinks it's blast to sit and read him- I mean, his characters - aggressively tweet- I mean, speak to - the player espousing his- I mean, their - social and political views and then requiring you to agree with him- I mean, the characters.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
The Outer Worlds is so bland that people would prefer to talk about Pillars attributes for the 6 millionth time. Codex, Codex never changes.

Sannom

Augur
Having tried to create a character in Pathfinder after a lot of Deadfire, this feels like the opposite of Sawyer's approach. "if" within "if" within "if" isn't something I got from PoE or Deadfire at all. Attributes have straight-forward, universal effects and a clear progression, even if sometimes the "universal" includes some unusual stuff. The same for skills, which tends to only affect consumables (Athletics being an outlier). And most importantly, attributes and skills are disentangled (*) from classes.

(*) The obvious exception here are Chanters, who had their resource management affected by Intellect, but they removed it from the sequel.

jaekl

Learned
Patron
The blandness of Outer Worlds is unbelievable. Like with any game that has annoying writing, I began to rebel against it, which the game allows, surprisingly. I appreciate that compared to Baldur's Gate 2 which has (to me) annoying writing *and* punishes you for rebelling with unkillable npcs and instagibs. However, even with the novelty of playing it as a space spree-killer simulator, it is so bland that I stopped playing partway through out of apathy.

Lhynn

Arcane
The blandness of Outer Worlds is unbelievable. Like with any game that has annoying writing, I began to rebel against it, which the game allows, surprisingly. I appreciate that compared to Baldur's Gate 2 which has (to me) annoying writing *and* punishes you for rebelling with unkillable npcs and instagibs. However, even with the novelty of playing it as a space spree-killer simulator, it is so bland that I stopped playing partway through out of apathy.
Apathy seems to be the best way to describe my feelings towards it.
I was pissed about Pillows, I mocked Pillows 2, but absolute atrocities on their own right, but this one didnt make me feel anything, not even enough energy to pirate it.

Wesp5

Arcane
One of the main problems of Outer Worlds is that it is too easy, like the builds don't matter at all and the items you need are all over the place. I can imagine that Tim and Leonard didn't design it like that, but some higher up at Obsidian, or maybe even Microsoft, stepped in and told them to make the game more player friendly to get all the casual gamers on board that are not hard-core RPG fans. Something like this was already visible in cut Bloodlines content and I would blame Activision for this...

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
One of the main problems of Outer Worlds is that it is too easy, like the builds don't matter at all and the items you need are all over the place. I can imagine that Tim and Leonard didn't design it like that, but some higher up at Obsidian, or maybe even Microsoft, stepped in and told them to make the game more player friendly to get all the casual gamers on board that are not hard-core RPG fans. Something like this was already visible in cut Bloodlines content and I would blame Activision for this...
In one of his latest videos Tim said his design philosophy is for the player to have fun and he disagrees with the idea that the designer's goal should be to kill the player.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom