Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Something like this was already visible in cut Bloodlines content and I would blame Activision for this...
What? Vtmb had what exactly that was similar to TOW? Overabundance of items, ammo, guns, etc? More details please. Always like to learn more about Bloodlines.

Krivol

Magister
One of the main problems of Outer Worlds is that it is too easy, like the builds don't matter at all and the items you need are all over the place. I can imagine that Tim and Leonard didn't design it like that, but some higher up at Obsidian, or maybe even Microsoft, stepped in and told them to make the game more player friendly to get all the casual gamers on board that are not hard-core RPG fans. Something like this was already visible in cut Bloodlines content and I would blame Activision for this...
In one of his latest videos Tim said his design philosophy is for the player to have fun and he disagrees with the idea that the designer's goal should be to kill the player.

Wesp5 is right, the game IS too easy and nothing of char build matters - you can literally not invest a single point in fighting skills and still do fine. Additionally, unique weapons don't seem to be exceptional at all (even worse than regular, as you can't modify them) and the possibility of upgrading any weapon to any level makes looking for SUPER QL GUN unnecessary - as soon as you get something fun (bearable) to play, just stick with that and sink money to upgrade it.

There is no reason to explore, as it just doesn't matter. Remember Gothic, where finding fucking meat that you can cook and sell was exciting? Finding a healing potion was like "Oh gosh! Christmas!"

So if Tim is saying a game should be fun and not hard he is more stupid than one can imagine. I don't like unnecessary hard games but remember The Witcher 1? Good gameplay was only on the hardest difficulty, as you had to rely on alchemy and drink the correct potions. TOW don't even have that and consumables are... OMG, the consumables in this game are making me laugh and cry simultaneously. They last like 15 secs and give you shit. Trash to sell.

Krivol

Magister
What? Witcher 1 has a joke of a gameplay whatever the difficulty.
Drink some ginko biloba or something.

Oh just to be clear - I really wanted to love TOW. I am an FNV fanboy and really wanted something like this. Even when I saw the first Codex opinions (100% negative IIRC) I went with: 'Meh, haters gonna hate, this must be good - Obsidian + Tim Cain, what can go wrong?'

Boy, I was wrong!

Wesp5

Arcane
One of the main problems of Outer Worlds is that it is too easy, like the builds don't matter at all and the items you need are all over the place. I can imagine that Tim and Leonard didn't design it like that, but some higher up at Obsidian, or maybe even Microsoft, stepped in and told them to make the game more player friendly to get all the casual gamers on board that are not hard-core RPG fans. Something like this was already visible in cut Bloodlines content and I would blame Activision for this...
In one of his latest videos Tim said his design philosophy is for the player to have fun and he disagrees with the idea that the designer's goal should be to kill the player.

I wasn't talking about killing the player, but that mag-picks and shunts were available in the hundreds. Which also kills the immersion, because why would they be found anywhere in the first place?

Wesp5

Arcane
Something like this was already visible in cut Bloodlines content and I would blame Activision for this...
What? Vtmb had what exactly that was similar to TOW? Overabundance of items, ammo, guns, etc? More details please. Always like to learn more about Bloodlines.

That is not what I meant, Bloodlines did that much better than TOW. I meant the cut Bloodheal disciplines and the originally three versions of Bloodbuff. Which were replaced by convenient auto-healing and a Bloodbuff that maxed out all physical stats at the same time and made raising them unnecessary at the beginning of the game.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
I can imagine that Tim and Leonard didn't design it like that, but some higher up at Obsidian, or maybe even Microsoft, stepped in and told them to make the game more player friendly to get all the casual gamers on board that are not hard-core RPG fans. Something like this was already visible in cut Bloodlines content and I would blame Activision for this...
Everything else bad about the game, like the art-style, was confirmed by Tim Cain to have been his and Leonard Boyarski's decisions. Why should we give them the benefit of the doubt about the game's difficulty? I don't think The Outer Worlds was, at any point in its development, a "hard-core RPG".

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

I wasn't talking about killing the player, but that mag-picks and shunts were available in the hundreds. Which also kills the immersion, because why would they be found anywhere in the first place?
Tim comes across as a "fun gameplay trumps verisimilitude" guy. The playtesters didn't like scarcity so they gave an abundance.

Lt Broccoli

Educated
Just finished The Outer Worlds (though didn't do the DLCs). Stealth build with guns.

Overall impression was positive, but the game felt like it missed a lot of potential. Dialogue, variety of skills and and C&C are it's strengths, but the combat was too easy on normal. Will have to go to a higher difficulty next time with a new build. A lot of re-playability. Colour palette was quite glaring and unnatural...too many pastels. My guess is that Timothy Cain demanded that for his colour blindness. Also way too much loot....or rather the loot should be far less frequent but in greater quantity when you do find some. Perks also felt a bit blasé and generic - lacks that rarity and intriguing descriptions like in the early Fallouts - so when I was offered a negative quirk in order to gain a perk I would decline. Not many bugs - I think I got stuck a couple times and had to fast travel to escape. Yeah, overall not too bad. I would play again.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think Tim Cain just really likes that TOW is all-around polished, playable, light-hearted fun. He hasn't made a lot of games like that, like it or not it's a personal achievement for him.

https://support.privatedivision.com/hc/en-us/articles/17973074238227

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition Patch Notes - v1.4​

The Outer Worlds: Spacer’s Choice Edition Patch v1.4 is available now for PC, PS5, and Xbox Series X|S. Thank you for your patience while our team worked diligently to get this out, and continue reading below to see what's been fixed in this latest update:
  • Fixed discrepancy between auto-detect and default settings on PC
  • Improved VRAM-based GPU performance
  • Fixed Virtual Texture flickering in Groundbreaker on Xbox Series S
  • Fixed some terminals being hard to read on Xbox
  • Fixed bug where Tucker Needham does not immediately talk to the player when trying to interact with him during A Family Matter in Amber Heights
  • Fixed bug in "A Few Bits More" Perk
  • Fixed bug with companions sometimes missing in elevators (RR&DD lab and connected hallways)
  • Resolved several popping issues
  • Adjusted rocks and foliage
  • Texture and LOD updates
  • Reduced several flickering issues
  • Fixed collision issues in multiple levels
  • Fixed shadow issues in several areas
  • Fixed alarm sound playing outside of Gorgon after completing DLC
  • Several weapon VFX fixes
We hope these updates improve your time in the Halcyon Colony. If you continue to experience issues playing The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition, please contact our support team directly for help.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I'd give a citation needed reaction for the 'fun' bit, but I think the rest is sadly on point. It's like every aging dev's reaction to the fact that their earlier games were buggy due to feature creep, lack of scope control, and insufficient QA cycle is to lower the ceiling by pruning away all the ambitious, interesting parts. The end result is less buggy, maybe, but lacks any of the interest inherent in actually trying to push beyond mediocrity. Or, as someone else said at some point in this thread... you end up with a game that is itself an unintentional example of the incompetent, uninspired corporatism the game is desperately trying to lampoon.

The blandness of Outer Worlds is unbelievable. Like with any game that has annoying writing, I began to rebel against it, which the game allows, surprisingly. I appreciate that compared to Baldur's Gate 2 which has (to me) annoying writing *and* punishes you for rebelling with unkillable npcs and instagibs. However, even with the novelty of playing it as a space spree-killer simulator, it is so bland that I stopped playing partway through out of apathy.
Accurately describes the average TOW experience. The Outer Bores is real.

ADL

Prophet
Any mods worthwhile for Spacer's Choice? I get it in tomorrow's Humble Bundle.
Also v1.4 seems like it finally got performance to an acceptable level.

Last edited:

Tyrr

Liturgist

The Outer Worlds was made with casual RPG players in mind, pitched as 'Fallout meets Firefly'​

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/9220...d-pitched-as-fallout-meets-firefly/index.html

So how did they got from Morena Baccarin, Jewel Staite, Summer Glau or Christina Hendricks to this:
1c2j7Pl.jpg

Last edited:

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
I have been replaying Fallout: New Vegas, while it's flawed game as well, and it's kinda "flat" in many aspects, partially because of the Shitbryo engine limitations, character models etc, voice acting is generally very flat, it's still pretty good game, and some of the writing is good, and at spots excellent (looking at you Joshua Graham and Survivalist), and it got me thinking about The Outer Worlds...

If they would've had the writing team from New Vegas to do The Outer Worlds, I think it'd been considerably better game, as even though New Vegas is kinda "flat" game; voice acting is very flat, the written dialogue is generally kinda flat, and Shitbryo's lack of physical animations and lack of expressiveness in character models doesn't help it, at least the writers had a real grasp of the themes, world, and knew how to (mostly) tackle them. From what I played The Outer Worlds and seen it in a few lengthy reviews, it's been written by people who has no real grasp of anything, real life experience beside very basic shit and have been just reading/watching basic "pop culture" slop.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
From what I played The Outer Worlds and seen it in a few lengthy reviews, it's been written by people who has no real grasp of anything, real life experience beside very basic shit and have been just reading/watching basic "pop culture" slop.
While it is obvious the younger ones have never felt hardship in their entire lives, there's also the fact all of Obsidian's best written games are in third party settings. When they had the opportunity to create a new one (with a lot of the old guard still working at Obs), they dropped the ball so hard we are still talking about how bad it was almost 10 years later.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom